Has anyone ever thought you'd be better off not visiting these boards?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Has anyone else ever had these thoughts? I'll just give a brief example. On my last trip that my wife and I went on before I got involved on these sites, for some reason (and we couldn't explain why) our favorite park that we visited out of all 4 of them was MGM. Now I find that I don't think I could step foot into DHS without being greatly annoyed by the hat, the lack of quality rides, etc... And I'm a bit sad that I'll probably never be able to experience the parks with that naive eye that I once had. At the same time, I really enjoy the new insight I do have.

I think its like growing up and finding out the truth about Christmas. You have different perceptions when you are a kid than when you are an adult. You still enjoy it and look for ways to enjoy it, but its never quite the same.

The same thing can be said about Disney. Once you get into it and learn more about it, your perceptions of it change. You still enjoy it and have a good time, but its different things that give you that joy than when you first went.

EPCOT.nut

As with fruit and vegetables....I select and enjoy the things that look good and that I like, and leave the rest for compost.

:lol: I love it when you can sum up how you feel with a food analogy! :sohappy:

All kidding aside (is that possible for me?) here is the answer to the OP -

NOPE nothing on this site has negatively influenced my WDW trips or how I feel at WDW Parks and Resorts. Actually, people from this site have encouraged me to do things at the Parks and Resorts that I have never done before. A big THANK YOU to everyone who has answered my questions and started or answered threads that I found interesting and entertaining.

I usually find something good in everyone here. I actually become quite attached to people and I feel bad when there's these kinds of disagreements that's going on right now. *hums Why Can't We Be Friends*

:lol:

I do try and spread my time on this site between helping others who have legitimate questions about the parks or resorts, encouraging others when needed, playing word association and song title games, posting and looking at the WDW pics of the day, padding :eek:, posting trip reports, and trying to connect with this sinfully addicting and wonderful community.

happymom52003

The valuable info and tips I have received from this site make up for the negative posts. My interests are in trip planning, finding out about new attractions, etc...so I tend to skip most of the threads where people are complaining about things.

catne

I love this site--not as much as I love Diz, but close enough. Pick & choose...we're all adults (or at least over-sized children.) There's way to much excellent info on here, and I find it interesting to read other's opinions whether good or bad. (Quite often, even the negative comments are informative...if someone hates a restaurant because the food is way too bland and your kids love bland food: bingo, good restaurant for your family.)

I try to not take anything too seriously when it's Disney...the whole enterprise is about entertainment. How can you be entertained when you're stuck in serious-mode? Think happy thoughts...you can fly!:sohappy:

wedway71

I have fallen prey to the Negativity sometimes as well.

After hearing about dislikes about an attraction or resort then to actually see it with my own eyes and love it.

I value everyones thoughts but will make the decision to like or dislike something when I go.

A good example is few years back It was a while since going to WDW and I came across the website called WDW BLUES.
They site showcased different pic of neglect in the parks like paint chips etc.

I was taken back by the site and thought WDW was turning into a "Hood". Soon after I went to WDW and was expecting a horrible place with bad CMS. What I saw was nothing less then a sparkling park and top notch Happy CMS.

I was even trying to go out of my way to find things wrong. I found some very minor issues but to had to look very very hard.

maggiegrace1

There is going to be negativity and complaints on any forum that you go on..regardless of the topic..it is up to you to pick and choose what you want to read or not.

There are also negative,rude judgemental posters on every board that you go to also..you have the choice to use the ignore feature for them also or not..again your choice.

Now compared to most Disney boards that I have viewed this one is the best in my opinion and the people are nicer and friendlier..:)

Now there are a choice few that I think need to get over themselves and they only post only rude comments but that is everywhere and I just call them names in my head and move on..:)

KingStefan

To answer the original question, I have found that so much depends on your state of mind. The amount of enjoyment you get at WDW, whether you've been participating in discussions about things that are wrong or not, depends more on your state of mind when you go than it does on how much you've discussed thing here.

And when I go, and I'm in what I call the DISNEY state of mind, everything is magical. When I'm in that state of mind, I accentuate the positive and chalk everything else up to experience.

I know I'm coming across here as patting myself on the back, but I'm not really, and I don't know how to avoid that, but that's really not my intention. I discovered this by accident, and just do it naturally.

Example: last trip there were big t-storms moving towards NY/NJ area, and to make a long story short, our flight was cancelled late, and there was no other way to get out. Real bummer.

A small digression (you can skip this paragraph if you want to get to the point). As I was checking at a different airline, and the representative was just shaking her head, and saying "I'm sorry...", my DD then 9 came up and said, "Daddy, are we not going to be at WDW tonight?", and I said, "Gee, I'm sorry sweetheart, but I think that's the case - but we'll get out early in the morning, I'm sure". Then DD9 did that lower lip trembling thing and a tear rolled down her cheek, and the representative said, "just a minute, let me to talk to my manager about something...", and she put us on a "business class" only flight out of JFK (we were at Newark) and we had to move fast to get there. (We really didn't have that planned, but DD couldn't have done it at a better moment if we had planned it!) We made it, because it was delayed, too. Very cool!

So we got on an double-upgrade flight, because this was non-stop. But it was delayed so much that we didn't get to Orlando until about 3 AM. Naturally they had given my car away, but after a little wait we got like a triple upgrade, because that's what they had - no extra charge. Very cool again.

But they lost our luggage. So we check into the hotel and get a few hours sleep and then we're up and dressing in our same stinky clothes to go to Studios, because darn it, that was the plan.

With everything that had gone wrong (we still got an upgraded flight, and and upgraded car) it was going to be hard to be in a Disney state of mind. But they made it easy for us! After a magical encounter with on of the characters (the dumb pretty one - I can't remember her name) we saw the parade and then while waiting for HM on the "folding wing" lines we met another familiy and were talking with them.

When the floating stage passed and the CMs released the wing lines. There was a mad dash and since they had a stroller, they got caught up and got behind. Their two girls were a bit younger than my two, and I saw that they were all disappointed, so I said "my kids will watch out for yours!", and without waiting for a response, I sent them up there, saying to the crowd, "excuse me, could you please let these little girls through?". Everyone was happy to do it, and all four of them really enjoyed the show.

Afterwards the parents in the other family said, "Hey, that was really nice - you didn't have to do that". My response was simply, "hey it's Disney - this is what it's all about, making it magical for each other".

Now I could have focused on the fact that the CMs didn't do a good crowd control job, or that when you look at the show objectively, its really not all that great, or that it was hot, and we were all sweaty in clothes that we'd been wearing for two days, or that I couldn't get into the Brown Derby at any time that day, but what I take away from the experience is the beaming look on the other parents' faces when they were truly greatful for a small gesture of kindness that really made it worthwhile for their kids. And I'm not bragging really because I didn't do anything, really, it's just all about the Disney State of Mind.

Also I was teary eyed, because IASM afterall truly when this girl from rural England was about the same age as DD9, and they stood next to each other and knew all the exact same dance moves, because they had the same DVD at home that has the extra features on it where you learn the coreography!

So sorry, once again, for the long post (those of you that know me from here know I tend to do that once in a while), but in conclusion, yes, I noticed a lot of negative things, but in the right state of mind, everything is magical anyway in spite of that.

EpcotServo

Nope. Stiil the same views on Disney. Just now I get to share them with other people.
:D

"But I never forgot the clear sense of right and wrong I felt behind the wheel of that peddle car."
-Sgt. Nicholas Angel, Hot Fuzz

Tigggrl

I LOVE the ignore feature....and I also avoid any threads that contain "Jim Hill" or "Al Lutz" In the title.....:ROFLOL:

Crazy4WDW1

To answer the original question, I have found that so much depends on your state of mind. The amount of enjoyment you get at WDW, whether you've been participating in discussions about things that are wrong or not, depends more on your state of mind when you go than it does on how much you've discussed thing here.

And when I go, and I'm in what I call the DISNEY state of mind, everything is magical. When I'm in that state of mind, I accentuate the positive and chalk everything else up to experience.

I know I'm coming across here as patting myself on the back, but I'm not really, and I don't know how to avoid that, but that's really not my intention. I discovered this by accident, and just do it naturally.

Example: last trip there were big t-storms moving towards NY/NJ area, and to make a long story short, our flight was cancelled late, and there was no other way to get out. Real bummer.

A small digression (you can skip this paragraph if you want to get to the point). As I was checking at a different airline, and the representative was just shaking her head, and saying "I'm sorry...", my DD then 9 came up and said, "Daddy, are we not going to be at WDW tonight?", and I said, "Gee, I'm sorry sweetheart, but I think that's the case - but we'll get out early in the morning, I'm sure". Then DD9 did that lower lip trembling thing and a tear rolled down her cheek, and the representative said, "just a minute, let me to talk to my manager about something...", and she put us on a "business class" only flight out of JFK (we were at Newark) and we had to move fast to get there. (We really didn't have that planned, but DD couldn't have done it at a better moment if we had planned it!) We made it, because it was delayed, too. Very cool!

So we got on an double-upgrade flight, because this was non-stop. But it was delayed so much that we didn't get to Orlando until about 3 AM. Naturally they had given my car away, but after a little wait we got like a triple upgrade, because that's what they had - no extra charge. Very cool again.

But they lost our luggage. So we check into the hotel and get a few hours sleep and then we're up and dressing in our same stinky clothes to go to Studios, because darn it, that was the plan.

With everything that had gone wrong (we still got an upgraded flight, and and upgraded car) it was going to be hard to be in a Disney state of mind. But they made it easy for us! After a magical encounter with on of the characters (the dumb pretty one - I can't remember her name) we saw the parade and then while waiting for HM on the "folding wing" lines we met another familiy and were talking with them.

When the floating stage passed and the CMs released the wing lines. There was a mad dash and since they had a stroller, they got caught up and got behind. Their two girls were a bit younger than my two, and I saw that they were all disappointed, so I said "my kids will watch out for yours!", and without waiting for a response, I sent them up there, saying to the crowd, "excuse me, could you please let these little girls through?". Everyone was happy to do it, and all four of them really enjoyed the show.

Afterwards the parents in the other family said, "Hey, that was really nice - you didn't have to do that". My response was simply, "hey it's Disney - this is what it's all about, making it magical for each other".

Now I could have focused on the fact that the CMs didn't do a good crowd control job, or that when you look at the show objectively, its really not all that great, or that it was hot, and we were all sweaty in clothes that we'd been wearing for two days, or that I couldn't get into the Brown Derby at any time that day, but what I take away from the experience is the beaming look on the other parents' faces when they were truly greatful for a small gesture of kindness that really made it worthwhile for their kids. And I'm not bragging really because I didn't do anything, really, it's just all about the Disney State of Mind.

Also I was teary eyed, because IASM afterall truly when this girl from rural England was about the same age as DD9, and they stood next to each other and knew all the exact same dance moves, because they had the same DVD at home that has the extra features on it where you learn the coreography!

So sorry, once again, for the long post (those of you that know me from here know I tend to do that once in a while), but in conclusion, yes, I noticed a lot of negative things, but in the right state of mind, everything is magical anyway in spite of that.

Great post!

I agree wholeheartedly with your "Disney state of mind" statement. It's all about perspective. The way I figure it is that I'm lucky to get to WDW, because most folks aren't. I've been to WDW more than 35 times and each and every trip is magical for me. Nothing in life is perfect, so I don't expect WDW to be perfect either.

cococola44

I found that putting certain negative posters on my Ignore lisat has helped a lot!

Oh yes, that can always help.

The only thing that I think about is if the poster is posting about something valid, then okay

but there was something that I read about how crappy a ride was ...and i thought what is the point of that....

Simba One

We have a saying that we use around our house. ~A bad day at Disney World is better than a good day in the "real world." ~ Okay...maybe not always true, but you get the idea.:) It's all in how you look at things. I take things I read on the posts with a grain of salt and then try it for myself and make my own decision. Besides, where else are you going to get such a wealth of information about a place directlly from the people who love it?!

cococola44

There is going to be negativity and complaints on any forum that you go on..regardless of the topic..it is up to you to pick and choose what you want to read or not.

There are also negative,rude judgemental posters on every board that you go to also..you have the choice to use the ignore feature for them also or not..again your choice.

Now compared to most Disney boards that I have viewed this one is the best in my opinion and the people are nicer and friendlier..:)

Now there are a choice few that I think need to get over themselves and they only post only rude comments but that is everywhere and I just call them names in my head and move on..:)

I agree! Nice post! :sohappy:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Personally, I'd save $5/month not visiting these boards.

And that's the ONLY way I'd be better off.

But it's ok... those $5 are worked into my budget.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom