Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince Reviews and *SPOILERS*

Number_6

STR8FAN2005 said:
To those that think Snape was acting on Dumbledore's orders. Why didn't Dumbledore tell anyone else in the Order or Harry????
Because Dumbledore told anyone ahead of time, they would have tried to stop it from happening and that would have defeated the whole purpose of it. Or, someone would have ended up either telling another member of the Order or telling Harry and that would put Snape's position at risk. Or, someone may have been captured and tortured and given it away, again defeating the purpose of the plan, to keep Snape useful and to keep Draco from having to kill Dumbledore. We know that Snape knew about the plan before Cissy and Bella arrived at his home. And since the Order communicates by sending their Patronuses to each other with messages, Snape could have sent a message without leaving his home and let Dumbledore know. It could easily have been that the Unbreakable Vow was part of it that had been discussed as something that might happen and if it came up, then Snape would have to do it.

STR8FAN2005 said:
No one, I mean no one will believe Snape if he tries to show his face again. That is why I am confident that Snape cannot still be on the good side. I don't believe anyone in the Order would give Snape a chance to talk before dishing out justice. I for one, cannot wait to see Harry avenge Dumbledore's death and punish Severus for all that he has done to mess up Harry's life!
True enough, most likely no one will go for it if Snape tries to tell them it was Dumbledore's orders. But, there is the possibility that the portrait of Dumbledore in the Headmaster's Office has the information about the plan. He was asleep when we saw him. We don't know if it may be that someone has to ask a specific question of it to get the information from it. Dumbledore always said that he trusted Snape 100% and I believe that he trusted Snape to do the job that needed to be done.

STR8FAN2005 said:
All of Harry's misfortunes in life have all stemed from one man: Severus Snape! If JKR makes him out to be some sort of hero, I will be EXTREMELY upset!!!
Although, if you look at what Snape has done across the books, sometimes what looked like him being an outright scumbag was actually designed to help. Muttering the counter-curse during the Quidditch match in the first year, teaching about Werewolves in third year are examples. This year, teaching about wordless spellcasting as a way to give an edge over a dark opponent in a fight. I actually think that Snape may fall into the anti-hero role. The one that really shouldn't be a hero, but in the end, is.

Edit: And remember, when Snape heard what the prophecy was and told Voldemort, he didn't say along with it "Yeah, go kill the Potters, because they must be the ones in the Prophecy." Voldemort is the one that decided the Prophecy meant the Potters. Could just as easily have been the Longbottoms.

CaptainMichael

Number_6 said:
Although, if you look at what Snape has done across the books, sometimes what looked like him being an outright scumbag was actually designed to help. Muttering the counter-curse during the Quidditch match in the first year, teaching about Werewolves in third year are examples. This year, teaching about wordless spellcasting as a way to give an edge over a dark opponent in a fight. I actually think that Snape may fall into the anti-hero role. The one that really shouldn't be a hero, but in the end, is..

The whole situation in Sorceror's Stone is explained. Snape needed repay his life-debt to James Potter, and he needed to stay on Dumbeldore's good side.

He only taught them about Werewolves because he was being prat. He wanted to expose Lupin because he did not like him. Again if it hadn't for Snape interfering and holding old grudges, Sirius may have been cleared in Book 3. (Note: Snape continuously taunted Sirius throughout book 5 about doing nothing for the Order which led to an unfortunate accident)

I'm pretty sure wordless spellcasting is something they were going to learn anyway as sixth years. Yet again Snape taunts Harry about it throughout the book about not being able to do it. (Like the disaster that was Occlumency lessons where Harry felt that Snape was making his mind more vulnerable to Voldemort.)

Number_6 said:
Edit: And remember, when Snape heard what the prophecy was and told Voldemort, he didn't say along with it "Yeah, go kill the Potters, because they must be the ones in the Prophecy." Voldemort is the one that decided the Prophecy meant the Potters. Could just as easily have been the Longbottoms.

He still told Voldemort the prophecy which may very well be the reason Harry will not survive through Book 7. Harry has led an unfortunate life. If not Harry, it would have been Neville.

Snape's bad deads outweigh the good. He has always been a slimy, greasy, evil scumbag and finally confirms it in Book 6

Dumbledore was a trusting man who admitted that when he makes mistakes they usually tend to be big ones. Trusting Snape is one of them. I'm sure Harry's feelings of what he saw in Snape's pensieve will change now. He will no longer be ashamed of his father's actions. James had the right idea about Snivellus.

I can't understand the big support group that has suddenly jumped up around the world to defend Snape. It is kind of like trying to defend Voldemort. They have NO redeeming qualities. Not a glimmer of hope!

MCBRIZZ5

STR8FAN2005 said:
He still told Voldemort the prophecy which may very well be the reason Harry will not survive through Book 7. Harry has led an unfortunate life. If not Harry, it would have been Neville.
Harry has lead an unfortunate life and i think he will die in the last book. He will not be killed though. He will sacrafice himself because I believe he is the last Horcrux. That night when he killed the Potter he was not trying to kill Harry but actually was placing his soul in him.

CaptainMichael

MCBRIZZ5 said:
That night when he killed the Potter he was not trying to kill Harry but actually was placing his soul in him.

Um, NO!!! He was definitely there to kill Harry. Remember that little prophecy that's been mentioned repeatedly during this last book. Voldemort was there to kill Harry Potter, the boy he believed the prophecy was talking about. I believe that too many people are convinced that he is a Horcrux. I'm pretty sure Voldemort would want these things to last forever since he himself wants to live forever. Harry Potter is a mortal what sense would it make to put a part of his soul into a little boy. I know that Naginni is a living thing, but we really don't know anything about this snake yet...

I don't think Harry will die. JKR is just getting us to think that there is a possibility that Harry won't make it so we'll be in suspense till it really happens. She doesn't want us going into the battle thinking that Harry will win just because. She wants us on pins and needles during the whole thing.

Number_6

STR8FAN2005 said:
I'm pretty sure wordless spellcasting is something they were going to learn anyway as sixth years. Yet again Snape taunts Harry about it throughout the book about not being able to do it. (Like the disaster that was Occlumency lessons where Harry felt that Snape was making his mind more vulnerable to Voldemort.)
Not necessarily, though. Every DADA teacher has had their own way of teaching and their own thoughts on what to teach. And as far as taunting Harry about not being able to do things, that's a method that certain people use to try to motivate a person into action. If you get a person frustrated enough at you about taunting them because they can't do something, sometimes its just the spark they need to be able to do it so they can prove you wrong. This seems like just the way Snape would teach, especially if he doesn't want others to realize that he is trying to help.

STR8FAN2005 said:
I can't understand the big support group that has suddenly jumped up around the world to defend Snape. It is kind of like trying to defend Voldemort. They have NO redeeming qualities. Not a glimmer of hope!
And yet, in Star Wars people would have felt the same thing about Darth Vader who followed the Emperor. Palpatine had no redeeming qualities, but in the end, Vader was on the side of good and helps to overthrow the Emperor. I'm not saying that Snape is quite the same as Vader, but you have to expect the unexpected. Alot of people are thinking that with all the other twists in the book, and taking into account that everything that happened with Dumbledore and Snape was from Harry's already biased perspective of not having all the info, then there is a possibility that this was all planned. It's all looking at the clues and trying to draw possible conclusions. I look at them and draw the conclusion that it is more likely that Snape was forced into the situation and Dumbledore knew it was coming. Is it possible that I'm wrong? Sure, it would be foolish for me to think that there is no possible way that he is evil. But by the same token, I know that there is also the possibility that I am right. And as long as that possibility exists, I'm pulling for that one to be it.

CaptainMichael

Number_6 said:
I look at them and draw the conclusion that it is more likely that Snape was forced into the situation and Dumbledore knew it was coming. Is it possible that I'm wrong? Sure, it would be foolish for me to think that there is no possible way that he is evil. But by the same token, I know that there is also the possibility that I am right. And as long as that possibility exists, I'm pulling for that one to be it.

I respect your opinion and hope you respect mine. This is healthy a discussion and I enjoy it immensely. People seemed to have jumped on the Snape is innocent bandwagon, and I'm glad this is your own thoughtout opinion. I just pray you are wrong because I despise Snape no matter how much Dumbledore trusted him!

Number_6

MCBRIZZ5 said:
Harry has lead an unfortunate life and i think he will die in the last book. He will not be killed though. He will sacrafice himself because I believe he is the last Horcrux. That night when he killed the Potter he was not trying to kill Harry but actually was placing his soul in him.

Interesting thought that I would like to take one step further. If there is a Horcrux inside of Harry, then it would most likely be his scar. My feeling is that Voldemort did want to kill the Potters themselves, but in order to make a Horcrux you have to commit murder. The murders were committed and Voldemort "marked him as his equal" as the prophecy says, buy giving Harry a distinguished scar and making the scar itself the Horcrux. In the process of doing this, it created a link between them that caused the protective magic that Lily Potter left behind to come shooting forth from Harry, possibly through his eyes(remember, Harry has his mother's green eyes, so the energy released could be green) and since it was green, it could easily be mistaken for "Avada Kedavra." Years later, Harry has some of Voldemorts abilities(speak Parseltongue) and whenever Voldemort is near or active his scar hurts. He has been able to see through the eyes of Nagini, Voldy's pet snake. It just seems like there are hints saying that the Horcrux is there. Voldemort may have marked him to try to get the only one that could defeat him, onto his own side later. Also, if you think to the end of GoF, there is something interesting there that I realized just as I was typing this. Harry and Voldemort fight each other, and the "Priori Incantatum" is cast, causing the previous spells that have been cast to appear. The following appear when this happens: Cedric(Avada Kedavra), smoky glove(Wormtail's new hand), Frank Bryce(Avada Kedavra), Bertha Jorkins(Avada Kedavra), Lily Potter(Avada Kedavra) and finally James Potter(Avada Kedavra). If it is supposed to show all previously cast spells, then where's the one for Harry? If it was cast, it would show, even if it backfired. So therefore, the spell was never cast and he did not try to kill Harry. :D

MCBRIZZ5

STR8FAN2005 said:
Remember that little prophecy that's been mentioned repeatedly during this last book. Voldemort was there to kill Harry Potter, the boy he believed the prophecy was talking about.
He actually did not hear the entire prophecy only the part Snape told him.

S_Grise

Number_6 said:
Interesting thought that I would like to take one step further. If there is a Horcrux inside of Harry, then it would most likely be his scar.
This is a very interesting theory, and well thought out, I must say. However, I'm not at all convinced. there are other little inconsistency errors and continuity flaws from book to book, and even in the same book. I just can't believe Harry will have to die at the end. It certainly will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

nibblesandbits

Number_6 said:
Also, if you think to the end of GoF, there is something interesting there that I realized just as I was typing this. Harry and Voldemort fight each other, and the "Priori Incantatum" is cast, causing the previous spells that have been cast to appear. The following appear when this happens: Cedric(Avada Kedavra), smoky glove(Wormtail's new hand), Frank Bryce(Avada Kedavra), Bertha Jorkins(Avada Kedavra), Lily Potter(Avada Kedavra) and finally James Potter(Avada Kedavra). If it is supposed to show all previously cast spells, then where's the one for Harry? If it was cast, it would show, even if it backfired. So therefore, the spell was never cast and he did not try to kill Harry. :D

OR there is the slight possibility that JKR made a mistake and forgot about including the spell against Harry in this. Or it simply wasn't included b/c the spell didn't actually KILL Harry. Just a thought.

CaptainMichael

nibblesandbits said:
OR there is the slight possibility that JKR made a mistake and forgot about including the spell against Harry in this. Or it simply wasn't included b/c the spell didn't actually KILL Harry. Just a thought.

Ah, someone who thinks rationally like me! :sohappy:

nibblesandbits

STR8FAN2005 said:
Ah, someone who thinks rationally like me! :sohappy:
well, I also agree with you that Snape is more than likely evil although, why I do not know and I'm sure that's going to be explained in the last book, seeing as how Snape has always been somewhat of a mystery in every book...I'm sure we'll finally get some answers.

CaptainMichael

nibblesandbits said:
well, I also agree with you that Snape is more than likely evil although, why I do not know and I'm sure that's going to be explained in the last book, seeing as how Snape has always been somewhat of a mystery in every book...I'm sure we'll finally get some answers.

Huggles Nibbles!

Number_6

nibblesandbits said:

She may have made a mistake and forgotten it, but that's highly unlikely due to the nature of the scene. And the spell "Priori Incantatum" is supposed to show all previous spells, to my knowledge, not just the ones that worked to full effect. It's supposed to show any previous spell that was cast. If it worked back to James Potter's death, then that spell is missing if it was ever cast in the first place.

STR8FAN2005 said:
Ah, someone who thinks rationally like me!
Just because someone is presenting another option that disagrees with what you want to see happen, doesn't mean that it's irrational thought, you know. ;)

Besides, that's why they are called theories. And you know what they say about theories...

CaptainMichael

Number_6 said:
She may have made a mistake and forgotten it, but that's highly unlikely due to the nature of the scene. And the spell "Priori Incantatum" is supposed to show all previous spells, to my knowledge, not just the ones that worked to full effect. It's supposed to show any previous spell that was cast. If it worked back to James Potter's death, then that spell is missing if it was ever cast in the first place.
Please note that JK Rowling was rushed to write GoF. She's already made one mistake in this particular scene and it had to do with Priori Incantatum. James came out before Lily, but James died first and should therefore have come out last.

Number_6 said:
Just because someone is presenting another option that disagrees with what you want to see happen, doesn't mean that it's irrational thought, you know. ;)
You should already know how I feel about your opinion from a previous post on this thread. I said that I respected it.

Captain Hank

Wow, I just finished the book...wow. :( And I thought Dumbledore was one of the few characters that was "safe" from being killed. :cry:

The bit about Harry being the last Horcrux occurred to me while I was reading. However, Voldemort has made many attempts to kill Harry. If Voldemort had intentionally made Harry the last Horcrux, why would he intentionally try to destroy someone that housed a bit of his soul?

As for the Avada Kedavra in GoF; what would the representation of the curse be? It couldn't show the form of Harry, since he didn't die. Yet, it wouldn't show the form of Voldemort, since he didn't die either.

longfamily

Here is my theory on Dumbledore's death and his relationship to Snape and Snape's relationship to the situation....

I do not believe that Dumbledore is dead. Not in the traditional sense. The fact is that Dumbledore has always been linked closely with the Pheonix, which rises again after it's death. I think that he did immobilize Harry so that not only for Harry to live another day, but because he did have the situation sorted out with Snape before hand.

Let's break this apart. Draco is taunting DD and will not kill him, then Snape arrives and does not encourage Draco to kill him but hurridly kills him himself. Everyone knew this was Draco's mission, it seemed to me that Snape would have given him one last momentary chance of success before doing it himself. Yet, Snape arrived and quickly "kills" DD and leaves out. Sounds like a set up to me. What's more, as Harry was chasing him down on the lawn, Snape says something like "stop Potter" or (I don't have the book in front of me) something to that effect, basically trying to get Harry to knock it off. Also there is the previous point that Snape did not harm Harry or allow anyone else to either.

In the Sorcerer's Stone, Snape talks about brewing fame and putting a stopper in death. I theorize that either Snape saved DD with a potion and the potion lets everyone believe that DD is dead so that DD can continue his mission without anyone knowing he is alive and so that he can be at the final battle. Or...I think DD used a horcrux for himself and Snape is meant to bring DD back. If either theory is correct, it will be DD and Snape arriving together at an OOTP meeting so that Snape can earn back the trust of the others.

DD said all throughout the book that he has a fine mind. He's not stupid. He would not have taken Snape back without great cause.

longfamily

I definately think that Regulas Black was the one to find the Horcrux. Also, when Harry runs into Mundungus, Mundungus is carrying the goblet that is also a horcrux. Regulas was likely killed for locating and attempting to destroy these artifects.

Harry will find the paper trail to all of the horcruxes when he returns to the Black house. I theorize that Kreacher will be a big part in this hunt.

S_Grise

longfamily said:
Here is my theory on Dumbledore's death and his relationship to Snape and Snape's relationship to the situation....

I do not believe that Dumbledore is dead. Not in the traditional sense. The fact is that Dumbledore has always been linked closely with the Pheonix, which rises again after it's death....
This is a very interesting theory. The relationship between Dumbledore and the Phoenix did occur to me, too. Especially when Harry said he thought he saw the shape of a Phoenix rise from the smoke of Dumbledore's body. Then Dumbledore's Phoenix went away. I think it would be horrible to put so many people through so much grief if it's not true, but maybe he's still around in some other way. That would make perfect sense, as you conjectured.

One other unrelated thought: Is this book the first time we learn when Ron's birthday is? And the month of Hermione's? I don't remember knowing that before...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom