Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince Reviews and *SPOILERS*

TheOneVader

I think Dumbledore is dead and gone for good, though the story with Snape might not be all that appears to be. Also, STR8FAN2005, why do you have a huge spoiler in your signature? That means no topic you post in is safe from a Harry Potter spoiler.

CaptainMichael

TheOneVader said:
I think Dumbledore is dead and gone for good, though the story with Snape might not be all that appears to be. Also, STR8FAN2005, why do you have a huge spoiler in your signature? That means no topic you post in is safe from a Harry Potter spoiler.

There is no spoiler. Everyone knows someone dies. I don't specify who it is, or who did it.

But we do agree, Dumbledore is dead. There was lots of finality to it. People just don't want to believe it, much like Sirius' death. JKR basically just said in an interview that Snape is evil and that the Snape crowd is searching for a "glimmer of hope".

I suggest that everyone on this thread check out this special interview granted by JKR and conducted by Mugglenet and The Leaky Cauldron.
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/extras/aa-jointerview1.html
There are Book 6 Spoilers! You have been warned.

MCBRIZZ5

THe one thing I am seriously wondering about now is the potion that DD had to drink back in the cave. What was it and does anyone think that DD was just testing Harry by making all of those weird screams. My thought is that he was letting him battle the Inferi until he was in a real danger than he would come and save him. I found it kind of suspiscous that all of a sudden DD jumps and kills the Inferi right before Harry dies after lying on the ground on the brink of dying.

Yodasnuggs

I still can't quote properly...

"I always new Snape was evil. Seems that Harry, Ron, Lupin, Sirius, and James had the right idea about old Snivellus. It is a shame Dumbledore is such a trusting man."

I think that, quite on accident, you've made a case against yourself here. I adore Ron, he is without a doubt my favorite character, but, really, when has Ron EVER been right about ANYTHING? Always thought Snape was evil, always was wrong. I feel this trend will most likely continue through the end of the books.

Also, can anyone see a final scene playing out where at the very last second, Snape jumps into the fight with Harry and helps him defeat Voldemort? I think that's why it's so important for Snape to remain a spy, and why Dumbledore offered his life up instead of Snape's (don't forget, Snape could have died for the cause, by simply not killing DD and breaking the vow), but DD saw the importance of having somebody at the fight scene to support Harry. I fully expect Snape to die on the end helping Harry...Or then again, maybe he is just an evil twit. Thoughts?

nibblesandbits

From the Leaky Cauldron interview w/JKR:

When asked why Dumbledore can be so blind to certain things:
JKR: But I would say that I think it has been demonstrated, particularly in books five and six that immense brainpower does not protect you from emotional mistakes and I think Dumbledore really exemplifies that. In fact, I would tend to think that being very, very intelligent might create some problems and it has done for Dumbledore, because his wisdom has isolated him, and I think you can see that in the books, because where is his equal, where is his confidante, where is his partner?

To me, this statement seems to say that Snape is actually a bad guy and that Dumbledore was false to trust him so heartily.

rentNdisney

nibblesandbits said:
From the Leaky Cauldron interview w/JKR:

When asked why Dumbledore can be so blind to certain things:

To me, this statement seems to say that Snape is actually a bad guy and that Dumbledore was false to trust him so heartily.

you make a really good point. i just read thorught this whole thread and was torn apart over my ideas about snape, but this kind of makes me decided he is evil.

also, to the people talking about the spell in GoF and how the spell attempted to kill harry wasnt present in the last spells, a horcrux cant possible be created wihtout a spell either, so then if harry is one, how come that spell didnt come out? I think JK was rushed, and pretty much only used avadra kedavra(s). Becuase, if you're going to get all touchy about it, and say that it shows any spell, those killings were pretty spread out. you're trying to say that he never used simple spells and did osmehting other than kill people.

sorry if im not making sense. everyhting is flying around in my mind.

ImaginEAR

Original Poster
Yodasnuggs said:
Also, can anyone see a final scene playing out where at the very last second, Snape jumps into the fight with Harry and helps him defeat Voldemort? I think that's why it's so important for Snape to remain a spy, and why Dumbledore offered his life up instead of Snape's (don't forget, Snape could have died for the cause, by simply not killing DD and breaking the vow), but DD saw the importance of having somebody at the fight scene to support Harry. I fully expect Snape to die on the end helping Harry...Or then again, maybe he is just an evil twit. Thoughts?

Nobody can help Harry defeat Lord Voldemort. In the prophecy it says that they will have do do it alone, and one will die while the other lives, or something like that.

longfamily

The quote from the interview by JK (without reading the rest of the interview) could have easily been about DD and how he approached the situation with Harry not Snape. We saw at the end of Order of The Pheonix that DD admited to Harry that he was wronge for not approaching Harry sooner and also for isolating himself from Harry when Harry needed him the most. I believe these are the mistakes that she may have been refering to.

CaptainMichael

longfamily said:
The quote from the interview by JK (without reading the rest of the interview) could have easily been about DD and how he approached the situation with Harry not Snape. We saw at the end of Order of The Pheonix that DD admited to Harry that he was wronge for not approaching Harry sooner and also for isolating himself from Harry when Harry needed him the most. I believe these are the mistakes that she may have been refering to.

But what about the mistake he made in Book 6. I believe that Jo is telling us without telling us that Snape is indeed a bad guy.

I never knew Snape had such a fan club. Ya'll might make that pale-faced, greasy-haired, hook-nosed, slimy git blush.

nibblesandbits

STR8FAN2005 said:
*Hugs Nibbles than runs away as her fiance chases me with a big stick*

:lol:

Nah...I think he'd be alright with it...as long as you didn't hit on me whilst hugging me! lol! Now that's what he's got the problem with!

TheOneVader

STR8FAN2005 said:
There is no spoiler. Everyone knows someone dies. I don't specify who it is, or who did it.

I know it doesn't say the name, but the way you say it's one of the most beloved characters... Well, that rules out all of the bas guys, and secondary characters. Ruling them out, you'd immediately think of Dumbledore, or maybe Ron or Hermione, but it's kind of obvious they're not going to die. Just sayin'...

nibblesandbits

longfamily said:

However, after reading the article, I am almost certain that she is talking about book six. It is a book six interview. The quote that makes me believe that she is talking about book six is:

ES: I know Dumbledore likes to see the good in people but he seems trusting almost to the point of recklessness sometimes.

JKR: [Laughter] Yes, I would agree. I would agree.

That to me right there (along with the other information I posted previously) says that she is not talking about the fact that he isolated Harry, (or at least not only that fact) but also the information we now have about Snape. About how Dumbledore should have listened and looked a little closer at Snape and maybe shouldn't have trusted him so completely.

(For those of you who may be lost, read the interview posted by Str8Fan. It is very good and will put a few things into place for you, not only in relation to the book, but also this current discussion. :p )

Yodasnuggs

ImaginEAR said:
Nobody can help Harry defeat Lord Voldemort. In the prophecy it says that they will have do do it alone, and one will die while the other lives, or something like that.

I'm sorry, you're right, I should have been more clear. I don't think Snape will physically do it, but I do think there will be a large final battle, during which he will help protect Harry. Maybe take an Avada Kedavra curse or something for him.

Also, while Harry will have to do the deed, if you will, I think in the final moments he will be helped by his friends, with the power of love, or something along those lines.

nibblesandbits

TheOneVader said:
I know it doesn't say the name, but the way you say it's one of the most beloved characters... Well, that rules out all of the bas guys, and secondary characters. Ruling them out, you'd immediately think of Dumbledore, or maybe Ron or Hermione, but it's kind of obvious they're not going to die. Just sayin'...

nothing is obvious with JKR...Ron or Hermione were just as likely to die as Dumbledore was. Only JKR knows the whole outcome, so who knows, they still might die.

CaptainMichael

nibblesandbits said:
(For those of you who may be lost, read the interview posted by Str8Fan. It is very good and will put a few things into place for you, not only in relation to the book, but also this current discussion. :p )

I can't wait to read the rest of the interview. They say this is about a tenth of the entire think. I'm very excited. Heck, she's already told us a lot in this small portion. I smiled when she basically confirmed what I've been saying about Snape!

Yodasnuggs

STR8FAN2005 said:
I can't wait to read the rest of the interview. They say this is about a tenth of the entire think. I'm very excited. Heck, she's already told us a lot in this small portion. I smiled when she basically confirmed what I've been saying about Snape!

But doesn't it worry you that she so readily gave this information? I feel like JKR NEVER gives a straight answer to such important questions. Unless of course she just considered it so obvious that he is evil, and therefore did not think she was giving anything away? Eek, so much to think about! I can't wait for the rest of the interview either!

CaptainMichael

Yodasnuggs said:
But doesn't it worry you that she so readily gave this information? I feel like JKR NEVER gives a straight answer to such important questions. Unless of course she just considered it so obvious that he is evil, and therefore did not think she was giving anything away? Eek, so much to think about! I can't wait for the rest of the interview either!

I'm not sure she "readily" gave it up. It was kind of cryptic until she addressed another question that's answer leads to Snape being evil.

longfamily

DisneyRoxMySox said:
Does anyone find it odd, that Dumbledore didn't ask Harry about the Dark Magic spell he performed on Draco??

That is odd. Even stranger is that Magonagle didn't say anything about it either. That would have definately been reported to the Head of the House.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom