Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

kingslyZISSOU

I dunno about this... I saw the Hogsmeade area last weekend and I don't think they're far enough along for a December opening. And the delay of the Rip-it roller coaster over at USF doesn't give me much hope for their general ability to open anything on time. Remember. last summer the Simpson's ride was delayed by a couple of months also.

If I understand correctly, a lot of the construction is happening off site, and being brought in and assembled. Facades and such.

I'm not a fan of the franchise, the fantasy stuff just doesn't appeal to me. But I sure am interested in this new ride system.

Captain Chaos

For those of you who wanted updates: I read the first two chapters of Sorcerer's Stone today, going to and coming home from work... I will say, as I read, I was placing the images of the movie in my head.. Played out really nice when doing that... And in my opinion, the first two chapters weren't slow at all... Of course, I am anticipating the remainder of the book...

JustInTime

For those of you who wanted updates: I read the first two chapters of Sorcerer's Stone today, going to and coming home from work... I will say, as I read, I was placing the images of the movie in my head.. Played out really nice when doing that... And in my opinion, the first two chapters weren't slow at all... Of course, I am anticipating the remainder of the book...

Some people say it's slow, but I don't think it is at all. And see how the movies kinda spoil it for you? lol. Glad you are liking them.

Captain Chaos

Some people say it's slow, but I don't think it is at all. And see how the movies kinda spoil it for you? lol. Glad you are liking them.

The movies aren't spoiling it at all... Just gives me a deeper image of what's going on.. And yes, I have enjoyed the first two chapters... Me thinks I'll like the other books better though...

RSoxNo1

Kuka on a track...but there are major differences from Spidy's system and Harry's.

Yeah, the Kuka Arm is capable of quite a bit more motion than Spider Man's system. I've attached an RCT3 video demonstrating coaster types as an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gex9vT0Bq8&feature=channel_page

I also think attendance wise we can see Potter cause a boost to Universal's attendance, but I don't think it will be at the cost of Disney attendance (at least in terms of seeing a drop in attendance at Disney parks). I think we may see something like Disney's attendance increase 3% and Universal's increase 5% (these numbers are arbitrary, they are meant just to clarify my point).

Captain Chaos

Yeah, the Kuka Arm is capable of quite a bit more motion than Spider Man's system. I've attached an RCT3 video demonstrating coaster types as an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gex9vT0Bq8&feature=channel_page

I also think attendance wise we can see Potter cause a boost to Universal's attendance, but I don't think it will be at the cost of Disney attendance (at least in terms of seeing a drop in attendance at Disney parks). I think we may see something like Disney's attendance increase 3% and Universal's increase 5% (these numbers are arbitrary, they are meant just to clarify my point).

Nice video... If that is how this ride will be, then count me on it...

Also, let's say 5% is accurate (for arguments sake)... Are you taking the increase on 6 million annually or this years numbers, which may be lower than 6 million due to the economy???

imagineer boy

The only part of the books I thought was painfully slow was the part in GOF where they were arguing whether or not Winky made the dark mark. Gosh, that part lasted forever!

WDW1974

G-Force - Rotten Tomatos: 20% approval; Critic Average: C; Yahoo Movies: B; IMDB: 4.9/10
Harry Potter - Rotten Tomatos: 83% approval; Critic Average: B+; Yahoo Movies: B+; IMDB: 7.8/10;

Just trying to balance it out...

JT is just trying to prove that mass-market crap can sell if you have the right audience.

Not much different than all the attention his wacko posts garner ...

jt04

The only part of the books I thought was painfully slow was the part in GOF where they were arguing whether or not Winky made the dark mark. Gosh, that part lasted forever!

Winky? Please let me go through my life without EVER reading a book with a character named "Winky". That's all I ask.

:lookaroun

WDW1974

You are obsessing again. :lol:

No more than you tossing out a typically ignorant dig accusing HP of being WalMarted in order to draw a response.

Too bad I was busy and not timely with my shot back.

If you removed your head from the sheriff's behind (even if it is imaginary unless you have one of dem blowup dolls out in New Mexico) you'd understand that mass-marketed crap (the big tease line of G-Force is '________ in his hand, ________ in his hand' ... something that clearly is LCD crap ala WalMart and not what Disney was known for) while Potter is a stunning sweeping vista of fantasy ... the biggest issue I've had is the 'kids' can't act for $H*T but that's fine. The stories have engrossed me and I have never picked up a book. They are the polar opposite of WalMarting.

But you keep trying, JT. BTW, how's the weather out in Albuquerque today?

jt04

No more than you tossing out a typically ignorant dig accusing HP of being WalMarted in order to draw a response.

Too bad I was busy and not timely with my shot back.

If you removed your head from the sheriff's behind (even if it is imaginary unless you have one of dem blowup dolls out in New Mexico) you'd understand that mass-marketed crap (the big tease line of G-Force is '________ in his hand, ________ in his hand' ... something that clearly is LCD crap ala WalMart and not what Disney was known for) while Potter is a stunning sweeping vista of fantasy ... the biggest issue I've had is the 'kids' can't act for $H*T but that's fine. The stories have engrossed me and I have never picked up a book. They are the polar opposite of WalMarting.

But you keep trying, JT. BTW, how's the weather out in Albuquerque today?

ummm, yeah and good luck and all that

CaptainMichael

Winky? Please let me go through my life without EVER reading a book with a character named "Winky". That's all I ask.

She's a house elf, they all have funny names. Dobby, Kreacher, etc.

You and her would actually get along well. Both put your trust in the wrong people and are in total denial.:lookaroun

techiegsy

I had forget that it isn't called Harry Potter and the Philsophers Stone in America. Can anyone enlighten to me why this is?

Yes, I did too, here's the reason:

Scholastic Corporation bought the USA rights at the Bologna Book Fair in April 1997 for US$105,000, an unusually high sum for a children's book. They thought that a child would not want to read a book with the word "philosopher" in the title and, after some discussion, the American edition was published in October 1998 under the title Rowling suggested, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Rowling claimed that she regretted this change and would have fought it if she had been in a stronger position at the time. Philip Nel has pointed out that the change lost the connection with alchemy, and the meaning of some other terms changed in translation, for example from UK English "muffin" to US English "crumpet". While Rowling accepted the change from both standard UK English "mum" and Seamus Finnegan's Irish variant "mam" to "mom" in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, she vetoed this change in the later books. However Nel considered that Scholastic's translations were considerably more sensitive than most of those imposed on UK English books of the time, and that some other changes could be regarded as useful copyedits. Since the UK editions of the series are published a few months earlier, some American readers are now learning British English from copies bought via the Internet.

Wikipedia is your friend...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom