Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

marsrunner

The Potter movies are just so-so, especially compared to the books. There were scenes in book five and six that were just heartbreaking and made me cry (yes, I'm man enough to admit it) but the movies just didn't do them justice. In part five the book when Sirius dies it is heartbreaking. In the movie it was barely affecting at all, and Harry's reaction to it was nowhere near as moving as in the book. Same situation with a different character in six.

The biggest problem with the movies has been they are either slavishly faithful to the books to the point of just being paint-by-numbers and having no identity or soul of their own (1 & 2) or being haphazardly adapted books that seemed to just be trying to squeeze as many iconic moments from the books as possible (4, 5 & 6). Only number 3 managed to be a real movie that stood on its own apart from the books. I guess you can thank Alfonso Cuarón for that.

Anybody judging the quality of the books from watching the films is sadly mistaken in my opinion. The movies are basically a success in marketing. The books are actual quality. I wouldn't call them "classics" yet, but they are better than just about any fantasy series I've ever read, aside from The Lord of the Rings (not really a series!) and maybe the Shannara series.

I only wish that J. K. Rowling's protectiveness of the series that has been on such display in the theme park incarnation had made her demand the movies be a little better! :)

Oh, and for the record, I'm a hobbitphile, trekker, potter fan (whatever they are called), x-phile, and buffy and angel fan (don't know what those are called either!).

RSoxNo1

G-Force - Rotten Tomatos: 20% approval; Critic Average: C; Yahoo Movies: B; IMDB: 4.9/10
Harry Potter - Rotten Tomatos: 83% approval; Critic Average: B+; Yahoo Movies: B+; IMDB: 7.8/10;

Just trying to balance it out...

This also doesn't mean much, Rotten Tomatoes scores very rarely predict box office success.

That being said, until G-Force has a $160 million opening week, it shouldn't be in the same conversation as Potter. It had a decent opening week, and it just happened to coincide with a mediocre 2nd weekend for Potter, which was probably hurt a bit by the Wednesday mid-week opening. I figure G-Force will be in the $100-125 million domestic while Potter will be in the $250-300 million range.

Dinoman96

Exclusive video i took inside the HP show building.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN75im_us4k

motivatorf4e1ae1d40d726fbfce2e1e6b0.jpg

This also doesn't mean much, Rotten Tomatoes scores very rarely predict box office success.

That being said, until G-Force has a $160 million opening week, it shouldn't be in the same conversation as Potter. It had a decent opening week, and it just happened to coincide with a mediocre 2nd weekend for Potter, which was probably hurt a bit by the Wednesday mid-week opening. I figure G-Force will be in the $100-125 million domestic while Potter will be in the $250-300 million range.

I think people are surprised that G-Force (quite a stupid looking movie) had any chance of beating Potter in the second week, never mind actually beating it.

magic2me

I think people are surprised that G-Force (quite a stupid looking movie) had any chance of beating Potter in the second week, never mind actually beating it.
We saw G-Force and liked it, but I too was shocked it beat out HP. I expected HP to be huge again the second week. We have not seen HP yet, but will this weekend. We have seen all 5 and DH just tolerates them and I like them, but not nearly as good as the books.

_Scar

:shrug: I guess this is the norm for Harry Potter because this movie is doing the best so far out of all the other HP movies

magic2me

You don't know that, but it sure is apparent that you want to believe that.
No one will know that answer until at least 2 years following the close of the last movie in the theaters (HP and the DH: part 2). Then you can start measuring fall-off in attendance and book sales to see where it really stands.
I agree

I cannot think of one 8-12 year old that I know who has read any of the books. Only time will tell.

_Scar

Does anyone know is it will be the Kuka arm on a track like spiderman or will it just be in a single room like a simulator??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom