Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

CaptainMichael

:shrug:

By the way, I received all 7 of the Potter books in the mail today... I shall begin reading them tonight...

Also, CaptainMichael, do you have any idea about what I posted above??? I been searching online and only come up with the link above saying Disney had secured the rights... I am really wondering what went wrong if that was the case...

I should forewarn you, Sorcerors Stone is exceedingly frustrating in the beginning and may take a while to get into. I almost stopped reading it the first time, but pushed on, and I'm glad I did.

I'm not the right guy to answer your question. If I had to guess, Disney probably approached JKR and WDI worked on proposals etc. Universal probably didn't think they had a chance and didn't even bother working on proposals if Disney was interested. However, Disney and JKR didn't get along and Universal probably jumped into the picture at that point. I'd looooooove to see the concepts and sketches WDI came up with. They are probably very different because back then, the movies were fairly new. Universal's designs are all based off of the movies. I imagine WDI interpreted the wizarding world from the books.

krankenstein

What happened is JKR was to demanding with Disney. What she wanted would've never worked and what Disney wanted was not what JKR wanted. Once they got to a impasse, Disney moved on and Universal pounced.

The Conundrum

Original Poster

By the way, I received all 7 of the Potter books in the mail today... I shall begin reading them tonight...

Also, CaptainMichael, do you have any idea about what I posted above??? I been searching online and only come up with the link above saying Disney had secured the rights... I am really wondering what went wrong if that was the case...

You are in for a treat. IMO, the first 3 chapters of HP book 1 are kinda slow and boring but after that boy does it take off!

Captain Chaos

I should forewarn you, Sorcerors Stone is exceedingly frustrating in the beginning and may take a while to get into. I almost stopped reading it the first time, but pushed on, and I'm glad I did.

I'm not the right guy to answer your question. If I had to guess, Disney probably approached JKR and WDI worked on proposals etc. Universal probably didn't think they had a chance and didn't even bother working on proposals if Disney was interested. However, Disney and JKR didn't get along and Universal probably jumped into the picture at that point. I'd looooooove to see the concepts and sketches WDI came up with. They are probably very different because back then, the movies were fairly new. Universal's designs are all based off of the movies. I imagine WDI interpreted the wizarding world from the books.

Thanks for the forwarning... I'll push through... Don't worry... :)

I'd love to see the concept art too.. Would be very interesting and no doubt a lot different that what Universal is building today...

JustInTime

i am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the books.

Captain Chaos

What happened is JKR was to demanding with Disney. What she wanted would've never worked and what Disney wanted was not what JKR wanted. Once they got to a impasse, Disney moved on and Universal pounced.

Hmm, ok, your opinon: Think she did that because she didn't really want to work with Disney from the beginning, but Disney made the better offer??? And she purposely sabataged the negotiations in order to go to Universal?? Seems far-fetched, but, I mean, really... She wanted to do something that couldn't be done, but then gave Universal something that was able to be done?? Sounds like a book could be written: HARRY POTTER AND THE THEME PARK WARS!!! LoL...

JustInTime

OK, you got a deal.... I'm sure I will like them since I liked the movies...

**wait, has this thread gone.... civil???? GASP!!! ** :)

Gah...I wish you hadn't watched the movies. The books are so much better without seeing what WB put out. Sometimes, I wish they would have wated untill all seven boooks were out untill they made the movies. I really, really hope you like them. Personally, they saved me. I had alot of hard times as a kid (death of father, mother in prison) and Potter really helped me push through them. I think thats when I defend it so fast. They are just so close to my heart. Everytime I read them, it's really like going into another world...

Captain Chaos

Gah...I wish you hadn't watched the movies. The books are so much better without seeing what WB put out. Sometimes, I wish they would have wated untill all seven boooks were out untill they made the movies. I really, really hope you like them. Personally, they saved me. I had alot of hard times as a kid (death of father, mother in prison) and Potter really helped me push through them. I think thats when I defend it so fast. They are just so close to my heart. Everytime I read them, it's really like going into another world...

:(

Sorry to hear that... But I am sure I will enjoy them....

krankenstein

Hmm, ok, your opinon: Think she did that because she didn't really want to work with Disney from the beginning, but Disney made the better offer??? And she purposely sabataged the negotiations in order to go to Universal?? Seems far-fetched, but, I mean, really... She wanted to do something that couldn't be done, but then gave Universal something that was able to be done?? Sounds like a book could be written: HARRY POTTER AND THE THEME PARK WARS!!! LoL...

Nah, I think she really wanted the best experience possible for her fans. JKR is known for being very demanding and protective of her characters. I think she was playing hardball with the best intentions, but Disney got fed up with it and passed. When Universal stepped in, she knew they were her last option to do this in a manner that would be on the scale she wanted. Thusly, she has been more flexible with Universal.

That's all opinion and conjecture on my part, but I think it is possible.

The Conundrum

Original Poster
:(

Sorry to hear that... But I am sure I will enjoy them....

Yea its a shame you saw the movies before reading the book. They spoil everything (although the casting for the most part was great)

Oh and whatever you do..DONT see the new film until you've read the books and watch out for insane spoilers!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom