Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

WDW1974

This is why I say Potter won't have any affect on Disney at all... The people who are able to ride Potter's attraction go there anyway.... the little ones are left out... The family of 4 will still be in Disney World...

Well, this discussion can (and likely will) go on for years ... until well after WWoHP opens and has gotten out in the public consciousness.

But I strongly suspect (and do know TDO fears) a loss of guests because of it. Many folks who in the past wouldn't go to Uni/IOA will likely try it (even if only for a day that can hurt Disney tremendously) ... others who went, but haven't been back will likely be drawn back ... and still others who do both regularly might actually push their stays onto Uni property (or at the least off of Disney's) ... so I think there will likely be a considerable hit ... and Disney is expecting it most at TPFKaTD-MGMS and DAK as people usually feel that MK and EPCOT are musts.

I'm just looking forward to it ... and I'm no Potter geek (never read a book, have seen four of five films but none in the theater -- that's gonna change this week!) ... but this is big. This is akin to when Disney went into business with George Lucas only bigger as Star Tours was a stand alone attraction, not a land.

Captain Chaos

Two terrific parks.

I wholeheartedly agree... Last year was the first year I went to Sea World, and I loved it... Believe is an awesome show in my opinion.... And Kraken was great... Didn't get on Atlantis though since the ride was down most of the day... Manta was still being built... I loved the animal exhibits, especially the dolphins and polar bears.... The park has gotten a lot better since I been there last, many many years ago... I am very glad I went...

This year, I won't be visiting Sea World... Have too many other plans for my two weeks in Disney... I refuse to waste a day for Universal, refuse refuse refuse.... I am heading to the Space Center this year... And over to Tampa Bay for a day.... And Miami for a weekend... Also planning on seeing other sites in Orlando, not spending a lot of time in Disney's parks either... Even though I do have dining booked with Disney every day of my trip... That is what the dining plan does to you I guess... :lol:

_Scar

That was just my point. If you go to SW only for its two big coasters, it would be akin to going to DAK for its two thrill rides and leaving. DAK is so much more ... as is SW.

I strongly disagree. Both SW and DAK are regulars for me (with APs for both) and I can't imagine someone saying DAK is good once in a decade ... although for some folks once is enough for Disney, so I'm sure the same is true for many at SW.

Not me.

Two terrific parks.

SW has no theme, a lot of areas look very dated. Shamu was not worthwhile (in my opinion), Arctic thing was dated and so is it's brother Star Tours, shows weren't amazing enough for entrance, many things are chared extra that shouldn't be (Giant observation tower, anyone?).

SW is just not my thing. I guess I like more thrilling things and great theme :sohappy: That makes DAK one of my favorite parks.

Captain Chaos

Well, this discussion can (and likely will) go on for years ... until well after WWoHP opens and has gotten out in the public consciousness.

I'm just looking forward to it ... and I'm no Potter geek (never read a book, have seen four of five films but none in the theater -- that's gonna change this week!) ... but this is big. This is akin to when Disney went into business with George Lucas only bigger as Star Tours was a stand alone attraction, not a land.

You are right again.. This conversation will continue, until the land opens and numbers are realized... We can discuss this until we are all blue in the face... The same result will come out... Some people hate HP, some people love HP, some people can't wait for the ride, some people couldn't give a rat's backside about it... Some people love Universal, some people hate it... These threads always go in the same sad circle... and nothing is ever resolved...

_Scar

You want people to respect your opinion but you said I have a bad opinion :D I guess that makes yours the good opinion? boo

Captain Chaos

SW has no theme, a lot of areas look very dated. Shamu was not worthwhile (in my opinion), Arctic thing was dated and so is it's brother Star Tours, shows weren't amazing enough for entrance, many things are chared extra that shouldn't be (Giant observation tower, anyone?).

SW is just not my thing. I guess I like more thrilling things and great theme :sohappy: That makes DAK one of my favorite parks.

See, this is called opinion... And I can respect it, even though I don't agree... So please respect other people's opinion that Universal has no theme and not worth the price of admission, even though you obviously don't agree.... :)

CaptainMichael

But I strongly suspect (and do know TDO fears) a loss of guests because of it. Many folks who in the past wouldn't go to Uni/IOA will likely try it (even if only for a day that can hurt Disney tremendously) ... others who went, but haven't been back will likely be drawn back ... and still others who do both regularly might actually push their stays onto Uni property (or at the least off of Disney's) ... so I think there will likely be a considerable hit ... and Disney is expecting it most at TPFKaTD-MGMS and DAK as people usually feel that MK and EPCOT are musts.

The voice of reason. Thanks goodness for '74!

Captain Chaos

You want people to respect your opinion but you said I have a bad opinion :D I guess that makes yours the good opinion? boo

I said that because you seemed to be putting people who don't think Universal is worth the price of admission... That isn't fair... And yes, it is bad... If you can just respect that some people don't like it without putting them down, even just a little, than please do... I don't agree with your opinion of Sea World, but you are entitled to it...

I think what this all goes to show is we all like different things... And no matter how much we try to convince the other side, we will never always agree...

_Scar

People forget Harry Potter still has 2 more blockbuster movies coming out. Harry Potter won't be dead after 2010.

Captain Chaos

People forget Harry Potter still has 2 more blockbuster movies coming out. Harry Potter won't be dead after 2010.

No one said it would be... And it won't be dead in 2011 and 2012 and 2020 for that matter... But, will it fade the farther away from the last movie we get, sure will.. it is inevitable... Everything fades... Something newer and better will come out and replace it as the next biggest thing... Doesn't mean Potter will die out completely, but it will fade in popularity, especially since JK said nothing more will be coming out... Maybe she changes her mind, maybe she doesn't... But if she keeps her word, then I don't see the current popularity staying at this level.. But that is my opinion, and I could be wrong...

WDW1974

I wholeheartedly agree... Last year was the first year I went to Sea World, and I loved it... Believe is an awesome show in my opinion.... And Kraken was great... Didn't get on Atlantis though since the ride was down most of the day... Manta was still being built... I loved the animal exhibits, especially the dolphins and polar bears.... The park has gotten a lot better since I been there last, many many years ago... I am very glad I went...

This year, I won't be visiting Sea World... Have too many other plans for my two weeks in Disney... I refuse to waste a day for Universal, refuse refuse refuse.... I am heading to the Space Center this year... And over to Tampa Bay for a day.... And Miami for a weekend... Also planning on seeing other sites in Orlando, not spending a lot of time in Disney's parks either... Even though I do have dining booked with Disney every day of my trip... That is what the dining plan does to you I guess... :lol:

The DDP is evil! Pure evil ...:fork::fork::fork:

_Scar

No one said it would be... And it won't be dead in 2011 and 2012 and 2020 for that matter... But, will it fade the farther away from the last movie we get, sure will.. it is inevitable... Everything fades... Something newer and better will come out and replace it as the next biggest thing... Doesn't mean Potter will die out completely, but it will fade in popularity, especially since JK said nothing more will be coming out... Maybe she changes her mind, maybe she doesn't... But if she keeps her word, then I don't see the current popularity staying at this level.. But that is my opinion, and I could be wrong...

I hear JK is considering a Harry Potter encyclopedia of sorts and some backstory on Potter's parents.

WDW1974

SW has no theme, a lot of areas look very dated.

No theme?! Seriously?!

What do you call the oceans and all of the creatures that reside in them?

And dated? Fair in some areas, although they keep things up ... and my response would be take a look at the MK if you want to see a park that is dated in many areas.

Shamu was not worthwhile (in my opinion), Arctic thing was dated and so is it's brother Star Tours, shows weren't amazing enough for entrance, many things are chared extra that shouldn't be (Giant observation tower, anyone?).

Wild Arctic is dated to a degree (although much less so than Star Tours to me) and has an incredible set of exhibits (themed) when you exit.

And the Tower is about the only thing there's a seperate charge for. It's like complaining at MK because you have to pay for the Shooting Gallery.

That's fine. I personally love them both, but DAK would definitely be my choice if I only had a day and could do only one. DAK is simply a work of art. SW is a wonderful theme park that succeeds on its own merits.

WDW1974

See, this is called opinion... And I can respect it, even though I don't agree... So please respect other people's opinion that Universal has no theme and not worth the price of admission, even though you obviously don't agree.... :)

I don't agree either ... but I respect your right to a different opinion.

I love Disney parks, Busch parks and Universal parks. I'm always going to be a 'Disney spirit' but that doesn't mean I can't or won't enjoy the others.

But everyone is different. Makes the world go around ...

_Scar

No theme?! Seriously?!

What do you call the oceans and all of the creatures that reside in them?

And dated? Fair in some areas, although they keep things up ... and my response would be take a look at the MK if you want to see a park that is dated in many areas.

Wild Arctic is dated to a degree (although much less so than Star Tours to me) and has an incredible set of exhibits (themed) when you exit.

And the Tower is about the only thing there's a seperate charge for. It's like complaining at MK because you have to pay for the Shooting Gallery.

That's fine. I personally love them both, but DAK would definitely be my choice if I only had a day and could do only one. DAK is simply a work of art. SW is a wonderful theme park that succeeds on its own merits.

I guess I agree with theme, but it all just looked sorta like a run-on sentence. Everything is blue, white, or blue and white :D.

The tower ed me off, but there were other examples. I can't remember them, but I remember I was grouchy about it :ROFLOL:

Wild Arctic after show was better than the ride itself. :lol:

ITA, DAK is money and it still has growing room. (JTTCOTE anyone? :rolleyes:)

Captain Chaos

I hear JK is considering a Harry Potter encyclopedia of sorts and some backstory on Potter's parents.

I wouldn't really consider that a continuation of the story though... Lucas released a Star Wars history book... But I wouldn't really call that a story continuation... Just fills in some empty plots and unanswered questions in the story... Kind of ties things up nicely...

Who knows though... Maybe she will revisit the story again... Only she truly knows... and her publishing company too.. :)

But I think there is a better chance she writes an 8th book than Lucas doing Start Wars 7, 8 and 9, although he supposedly does have scripts for the last three...

Captain Chaos

I don't agree either ... but I respect your right to a different opinion.

I love Disney parks, Busch parks and Universal parks. I'm always going to be a 'Disney spirit' but that doesn't mean I can't or won't enjoy the others.

But everyone is different. Makes the world go around ...

After last year's trip to Sea World, I really was considering getting an annual pass for the park.. I didn't because I didn't think I'd go every year, so it wouldn't be worth it.. But, I reallt thought hard about it.. That is how much I enjoyed the park... I am really glad I went last year...

Captain Chaos

The DDP is evil! Pure evil ...:fork::fork::fork:

Well, this year, I turned to the dark side and I purchased the plan since DVC members cannot get the free dining option... There is a reason I did it though... There is always one friend who cheats us out of money... Now this way, he can't LOL

_Scar

I wouldn't really consider that a continuation of the story though... Lucas released a Star Wars history book... But I wouldn't really call that a story continuation... Just fills in some empty plots and unanswered questions in the story... Kind of ties things up nicely...

Who knows though... Maybe she will revisit the story again... Only she truly knows... and her publishing company too.. :)

But I think there is a better chance she writes an 8th book than Lucas doing Start Wars 7, 8 and 9, although he supposedly does have scripts for the last three...

I've never read the last HP book to form an opinion of an 8th book, but I think it is certainly possible. I think Twilight is giving HP a run for its money.

WDW1974

Everything ebbs and flows in popularity ... funny how some 70s fads/looks are suddenly hip again etc ... even Disney's characters lost a lot of popularity by the 70s and 80s if you recall ... but it didn't affect the theme parks.

People point out attractions like Splash Mountain and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and ToT etc ... as attractions built on films/franchises that many people have never even heard of in their lifetimes. It doesn't mean the attractions aren't incredibly popular in 2009.

The bottom line is quality.

If IOA does Potter right, then it won't matter one bit if the final film is the final Potter product ever produced ... people won't care. And that assumes no new generations ever watch the films or read the books ... and I doubt that will be the case.

How many kids today love Mickey Mouse, but have never even seen one of his cartoons? A lot more than you probably think.

And while I won't compare HP to MM at this point, I will say the point still makes a whole lot of sense (he says without ego!:lol:)

Great attractions stand the test of time. Story or characters be damned.
Look at Disney ... PoC debutted in 1967 ... Small World in 1964 ... Jungle Cruise in 1955 ... yet they are all still hugely popular in 2009.

Lilo and Stitch came out in 2002. Was a huge hit. Spawned sequels, TV show and merchandise. Yet Stitch's Great Escape is only still there because it will cost to get rid of it ...

Do you see where I am going with this?

It's ultimately all about one thing whether it's Disney or Universal ... quality attractions. They'll stand the test of time no matter what. Crap, even crap based on very succesful franchises, won't.

It's a Universal truth! :D (sorry, it's 2 a.m. and I may be drinking!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom