Harry Potter interest from abroad.....

nibblesandbits

I still don't see a HP ride in AK. I am definitely not against seeing this type of thing in a Disney park, but I don't just don't think it fits there. I can definitely see it in MGM and also, MGM is a park that still needs some lovin. It's not the best park it can be, although they have been trying to make it better. (IE: LMA...although that is still a debatable attraction on how good it really is.)

S.E.A.

Ralphlaw said:
It would seem that Disney often shoehorns attractions. What does Primevil Whirl really have to do with Dinosaurs? Or the Muppets with Hollywood, which was actually filmed in New York and London? And what does the Twilight Zone, Aerosmith, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Test Track by GM, and Ellen Degeneres and Jeopardy have to do with Disney?

The initial answer is NOTHING, but Disney adapted them to the situation.

In my opinion, Disney would be wise to use Harry Potter to attract visitors to Animal Kingdom and have them stay for a whole day and spend money in its least attended park. Thematic purity is far less important than the economic viability and balance of the parks.

After all, when I stand in Tomorrowland with all of its futuristic rockets, I can see a medieval/romantic Castle with old time European princesses gliding around. I also see a futuristic globe and other cutting edge technology while I'm standing by a Mayan Temple, a renaissance piazza, and a Viking Ship. And Tatooine Traders is only steps away from 1950's automobiles and a Chinese theatre.

Conclusion, Disney can make a Harry Potter attraction fit in any of the parks. Animal Kingdom, in my opinion, makes the most sense economically, and it helps fulfill the long-awaited Beastly Kingdom project.
What does Primeval Whirl have to do with Dinosaurs? Have you seen Primeval Whirl? sure, it's fugly but the fact of the matter is, it is still THEMED AROUND DINOSAURS!!!!!!!

The Muppets with hollywood? The Disney-MGM Studios is a theme park themed around entertainment and pop culture, upon which the Muppets are part of. You say it was recorded in New York, why do you think they put it within the vicinity of New York Street?

The Twilight Zone, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones are also part of Pop culture and Entertainment.

Disney-MGM Studios and The Magic Kingdom are theme parks themed around MOVIES, that's why they are there!

Test Track By GM makes sense in EPCOT because it is themed to be a permenent "World's Fair" that showcases innovation and technology!

Thematic Purity is the reason Disney parks stand ahead of the competition, it is the main root of its popularity. Plopping some silly Wizard with parental issues in the middle of the jungle ful of animals makes absolutely NO SENSE.

You're not standing in Tomorrowland, you're standing in the bridge TO Tomorrowland looking back at the hub, OF COURSE you'll see the castle with princesses twirling around.

You can't possibly be standing at a mayan temple, and renaissance piazza and a viking ship at the same time as you can see the future because you're NOT A GOD you're not omnipresent.

Tatooine Traders is a movie set about a sci fi movie called Star Wars being filmed in a place called Disney-MGm Studios that is a place all about the movies, a golden era of which happens to be in the 50's.

so, IN CONCLUSION, There is no need nor is there a reason for Potter to leech on to Animal kingdom because it would just make absolutely no sense to put some whiny kid with a stick and an obviously infected scar on his head to be the main attraction in a place that is supposed to be all about animals.

and just so you know, the last era's economic way of thinking is teh reason it lost so much respect from the public.

I won't be surprised if you love the idea of a theme park full of clones based on california built in california at half price.

imagineer boy

S.E.A. said:
Let me break it down to you and prove how EVERYTHING in your post is distinctly WRONG.

What does Primeval Whirl have to do with Dinosaurs? Have you seen Primeval Whirl? sure, it's fugly but the fact of the matter is, it is still THEMED AROUND DINOSAURS!!!!!!!

The Muppets with hollywood? The Disney-MGM Studios is a theme park themed around entertainment and pop culture, upon which the Muppets are part of. You say it was recorded in New York, why do you think they put it within the vicinity of New York Street?

The Twilight Zone, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones are also part of Pop culture and Entertainment.

Disney-MGM Studios and The Magic Kingdom are theme parks themed around MOVIES, that's why they are there!

Test Track By GM makes sense in EPCOT because it is themed to be a permenent "World's Fair" that showcases innovation and technology!

Thematic Purity is the reason Disney parks stand ahead of the competition, it is the main root of its popularity. Plopping some silly Wizard with parental issues in the middle of the jungle ful of animals makes absolutely NO SENSE.

You're not standing in Tomorrowland, you're standing in the bridge TO Tomorrowland looking back at the hub, OF COURSE you'll see the castle with princesses twirling around.

You can't possibly be standing at a mayan temple, and renaissance piazza and a viking ship at the same time as you can see the future because you're NOT A GOD you're not omnipresent.

Tatooine Traders is a movie set about a sci fi movie called Star Wars being filmed in a place called Disney-MGm Studios that is a place all about the movies, a golden era of which happens to be in the 50's.

so, IN CONCLUSION, There is no need nor is there a reason for Potter to leech on to Animal kingdom because it would just make absolutely no sense to put some whiny kid with a stick and an obviously infected scar on his head to be the main attraction in a place that is supposed to be all about animals.

and just so you know, the last era's economic way of thinking is teh reason it lost so much respect from the public.

I 100% agree with you, but please be a little bit nicer about it, otherwise your comments don't come across as professional or seriouse.

CaptainMichael

If not themed based off of the movies, how would Harry Potter fit in the Disney-MGM Studios?? I could only see a Harry Potter attraction at the Magic Kingdom and maybe (stress maybe) United Kingdom in Epcot.

Halfling418

To any questions about Harry Potter being a fad and not a classic like The Lord of the Rings...I LOVE LotR...and I now LOVE Harry Potter as well. But to compare them is ludicrous.

HP is a clever year-by-year adventure, with shocking twists and turns, emotional events as well gut-bursting hilarious moments. Rowling really knows the the psychology of children as well as adults--all the personalities feel very plausible. Every tiny detail links to something important to the overall plot, weather you know it when you read it, or you find out much later in the series. When you read the books, you feel so excited you need to break out the popcorn. My parents, as well as the tiny children I babysit, love the story.

LotR is written (and the movies are carried out) in the style of the ancient epics, especially the Iliad and Odyssey, with a touch of spirituality sewn in. It is georgeous and artistic, and done on a very grand scale. It is simple, yet complex, and the films in my opinion do a wonderful job in conveying the feel of the trilogy. Tolkien is truly a genius--I treasure how deep and many-layered the story is...and I have never cried so hard at a conclusion.

The one thing they share (apart from being fantasy) is the emotion and feelings they have brought out in people. The tales are so striking you feel as if they actually happened.

I guess what I'm getting at (if I haven't rambled pointlessly for long enough) is that HP is bound to be a classic--but in a different way than LotR. Rowling reminds me of a more complex version of Rauld Dahl, just as Tolkien a more complex version of C.S. Lewis. If you've read the books, you'll find that both writers are very gifted, just in different ways.

I just had to get that out.

Oh yeah, this thread is supposed to be about HP and WDW...uh, a themed attraction might work in MGM or the UK in EPCOT.:D There.

ToTBellHop

I don't necessarily want a HP attraction at AK, but I do think it would certainly have more to do with animals than, say, Kali River Rapids. Not one animal on that ride...a HP ride for AK wouldn't have to even have Harry in it--it could involve transporting guests into the world that Rowling has built...which has plenty of animals.

Tigerdaly

Original Poster
When I originally started this thread I thought I diddn't think it would stir so much emotion.:animwink:
I am along with a number of people think that The Harry Potter theme if brought in it should be used in the right Parks... I think its reality as a box office smash fits it straight into MGM, whether it be by a an issulsionist type stage performance with wands at the ready, or in the theme of a thrill ride encorperating many of the flying aspects of the series.
If not I think the romantic GOOD versus EVIL :goodnevil , CHILD defeating ADULT concept are quite apt for the Magic Kingdom. After all this park doesn't always have to emit cuddlyness, the haunted house works and the run away train of Big thunder mountain, also the darkness of the Pirates of the Carribean.
Roll on July...........................:sohappy: ...............3 weeks of heaven :lol:

MnWildFan06

I dont care where it goes as long as it gets there I know alot of people would hate having it there but i would love it and it would boost sales even higher then they already are without a doubt

lunalovegoddess

STR8FAN2005 said:
If not themed based off of the movies, how would Harry Potter fit in the Disney-MGM Studios?? I could only see a Harry Potter attraction at the Magic Kingdom and maybe (stress maybe) United Kingdom in Epcot.

I'm going to be quite silly, but... if Pooh's Playground area is a temporary thing, and Rowling is in talks with Disney, I would recommend using that space in Fantasyland for HP. It depends on how much room you have at MK. Seriously, HP could fit in at most of the parks with a little imagination: if MGM, then go with the movies; at Epcot, Knockturn Allley storefronts. There is a store in the world showcase that sells Beatles merchandise, ater all. At MK I would like to see it based on the artwork for the books by Mary Grand Pre.

Just my two Knuts...

CaptainMichael

lunalovegoddess said:
I'm going to be quite silly, but... if Pooh's Playground area is a temporary thing, and Rowling is in talks with Disney, I would recommend using that space in Fantasyland for HP. It depends on how much room you have at MK. Seriously, HP could fit in at most of the parks with a little imagination: if MGM, then go with the movies; at Epcot, Knockturn Allley storefronts. There is a store in the world showcase that sells Beatles merchandise, ater all. At MK I would like to see it based on the artwork for the books by Mary Grand Pre.

Just my two Knuts...
Not silly, quite logical actually.

S.E.A.

lunalovegoddess said:

Just my two Knuts...

I completely agree with the Grand Pre inspired look rather than the movies' art. That way, if Potter were to be in Fantasyland, he'd stylistically fit in.

Timmay

Well, Disney better do it, because if they don't, someone else right down the road will take a stab at it and bring the crowds in.

CaptainMichael

S.E.A. said:
I completely agree with the Grand Pre inspired look rather than the movies' art. That way, if Potter were to be in Fantasyland, he'd stylistically fit in.
I think that the Grand Pre artwork would be a good basis. It is what most people have used to visualize the characters and places in Harry Potter. It would also be easier to get Grand Pre's artwork than Warner Bros. characters. Plus, Grand Pre could work on the project with Imagineers.

lunalovegoddess

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=28.421946~-81.580782&style=h&lvl=19&scene=3382307
If Disney were to secure the rights to building an HP attraction, Fantasyland seems like a good fit. Note that you could fit something the size of the SnowWhite ride easily in the old 20K lagoon area pictured above. You could technically have an omnimover (or something continuous like PeterPan's Flight) that takes you from Harry's DiagonAlley adventures to Hogwarts. You enter through the Leaky Cauldron, walk along the queue themed like DiagonAlley, take the Hogwarts Express, etc. You take the basic concept for the other rides, like travelling through a book (Pooh) or flying above London (Peter Pan)... really, there is so much possibility for recreating the magical world of Harry Potter. Pretty much, you could get to the loading area to find that the Hogwarts Express already left and you need to use a Flying Ford Anglia... makes the ride more like PeterPan. (Personally, though, I like the idea of making the ride a mini-coaster: a few sudden turns but no upside-down loops. Take the Hogwarts Express to get to the Sorting Ceremony on time... Like Rock'N'Rollercoaster lite.):D

If you could create an HP-themed attraction, what would you do? How much room would you think it needs? Would you gear it towards a younger audience or not?

Ralphlaw

Calm down

S.E.A. said:

I won't be surprised if you love the idea of a theme park full of clones based on california built in california at half price.

Hey, get a life. Take a walk. Buy an ice cream cone. Chill.

We're having a friendly discussion about an amusement park, not about the life and death struggles of the universe. Get some perspective.

My point is that Primevil Whirl is a nice spinning roller coaster that could be themed to anything. It is not exclusive to dinosarus I don't believe dinosaurs went spinning around metal tracks during previous geologic epochs. Six Flags uses the exact same concept in some form of lessor theming. Similarly, Dumbo, Alladin and Triceratop Spin are the same essential rides with different theming, and the kids (and many adults) love it. A well planned Harry Potter attraction would be themed to HP alone, not interchangeably with something else containing a few added cosmetic modifications.

Gee, you may be right about my imprecise sightlines of Disney World; I don't live there. However, the old and the futuristic are melded in all of the parks, and there is certainly overlap. (You CAN see the Castle from Tommorowland, especially from the Blue Line, for example.)

My point is that thematic considerations are important at Disney World, but it cannot be perfect. Nevertheless, the old and the new are only steps away from each other in all of the Disney parks, which is part of the charm and the magic. I am confident that Disney can theme just about anything that is not ludicrous. An area of Animal Kingdom that is themed to Mythical Creatures could easily accomodate Harry Potter, and the theming could be made to work.

You are free to disagree, but I have confidence that Disney can make it work thematically, and that the majority of people would not hyperventilate, spew venom, or have a seizure if it was part of some Beastly Kingdom on one side (not the middle) of Animal Kingdom. Theming could be compromised (or enhanced) in this way, and attendance would probably soar.

Harry could also be themed in the other three parks, but the other three parks do not have as great a need, or capacity, for an increase in attendance, especially night-time attendance. Studios makes sense at many levels, but my personal opinion favors AK. Feel free to send the Spanish Inquisition after me for my beliefs.

To digress even further: Money, unfortunately, puts limitations on our dreams. If Disney was not responsible about the economics, they would whither, fall into bankruptcy, or be taken over by some conglomerate with less regard for the magic. Spending money hand over fist on new attractions might make for some wonderful improvements in the short term, but the long-term cost might bankrupt the company. In short, the cost has to justify the predicted increase in attendance and revenue. A billion dollar improvement that only increases attendance by 25,000 people per year is a money loser. Eisner, and any successful businessperson, would understand this.

Tigerdaly

Original Poster
I'm sure your right about the funding and economics for building a world or even a big ride, HOWEVER the Disney board should always take heed and inspiration from Walt himself..........What risks did Walt commit to when Snow White was under the planning and animation stage. Walt was constantly one step from the bankrupcy door in the belief that progression and advancement were only attained by taking risks and pushing the unknown. He was right................
Coming from the days of the animation of an unknown storey and an unknown technology to one of being a platform for Harry Potter who like it or not is going to be one of our generations iconic figures.
Walt was one of a very few people who could see what was going to be iconic as it happened rather than retrosectively.
Come on, I dont believe any Harry Potter themed ride/show/experience is ever going to be a cash cow and drag the corperation down. Lets take a risk before SOMEONE ELSE DOES.................:hammer:
Because of its pulling power I dont think it should be used to shore up a struggling or less attended park like AK. Let that park develop in the creation and love of animals that Walt had designs for.

Get the rides in MGM or Magic Kingdom. What a great idea concept of entering the ride via the Leaky Cauldron and queing down Diagon Alley, Its a bout time the 20k leagues area was developed how long has it been 10 years plus.

Roll on July............................................:so happy:

Ralphlaw

Agreed, 100%

I agree that Harry Potter is big enough to justify a substantial investment, and that Walt would certainly approve. I also happen to have the opinion that it should be put in the park that could best handle the increase in visitors.

S.E.A.

Ralphlaw said:
Hey, get a life. Take a walk. Buy an ice cream cone. Chill.

We're having a friendly discussion about an amusement park, not about the life and death struggles of the universe. Get some perspective.

My point is that Primevil Whirl is a nice spinning roller coaster that could be themed to anything. It is not exclusive to dinosarus I don't believe dinosaurs went spinning around metal tracks during previous geologic epochs. Six Flags uses the exact same concept in some form of lessor theming. Similarly, Dumbo, Alladin and Triceratop Spin are the same essential rides with different theming, and the kids (and many adults) love it. A well planned Harry Potter attraction would be themed to HP alone, not interchangeably with something else containing a few added cosmetic modifications.

Gee, you may be right about my imprecise sightlines of Disney World; I don't live there. However, the old and the futuristic are melded in all of the parks, and there is certainly overlap. (You CAN see the Castle from Tommorowland, especially from the Blue Line, for example.)

My point is that thematic considerations are important at Disney World, but it cannot be perfect. Nevertheless, the old and the new are only steps away from each other in all of the Disney parks, which is part of the charm and the magic. I am confident that Disney can theme just about anything that is not ludicrous. An area of Animal Kingdom that is themed to Mythical Creatures could easily accomodate Harry Potter, and the theming could be made to work.

You are free to disagree, but I have confidence that Disney can make it work thematically, and that the majority of people would not hyperventilate, spew venom, or have a seizure if it was part of some Beastly Kingdom on one side (not the middle) of Animal Kingdom. Theming could be compromised (or enhanced) in this way, and attendance would probably soar.

Harry could also be themed in the other three parks, but the other three parks do not have as great a need, or capacity, for an increase in attendance, especially night-time attendance. Studios makes sense at many levels, but my personal opinion favors AK. Feel free to send the Spanish Inquisition after me for my beliefs.

To digress even further: Money, unfortunately, puts limitations on our dreams. If Disney was not responsible about the economics, they would whither, fall into bankruptcy, or be taken over by some conglomerate with less regard for the magic. Spending money hand over fist on new attractions might make for some wonderful improvements in the short term, but the long-term cost might bankrupt the company. In short, the cost has to justify the predicted increase in attendance and revenue. A billion dollar improvement that only increases attendance by 25,000 people per year is a money loser. Eisner, and any successful businessperson, would understand this.

I don't think you fully understand the "themes" of each park. The Magic Kingdom is supposed to be a hodgepodge of different themes separated by areas by brought together by the central theme of "Disney" It works as long as it doesn't look out of place. The Castle can be seen from all point around the park and still be accepted is because it should be a constant reminder that it is "disney".

The point is, Harry Potter, no matter how popular he gets will NEVER fit in to Disney's Animal Kingdom. You can argue all day that Harry has mythical creatures but the fact of the matter is those so-called mythical creatures are not central to the story of Potter at all, they are merely after thoughts to the drama of what is Harry's life as a wizard. It has absouletely nothing to do with Animal Kingdom's central theme.

If you desperately swoon at the idea of milking the franchise for all its worth, put it in the Magic Kingdom, anything fits in with the Magic Kingdom because of its loose theme, put it in MGM where it can fit in because it's from a movie. Heck, if you really want to stretch it, put it in EPCOT, I'm sure it can find a home in the UK section of W.S. You just simply CANNOT make it fit in to Disney's Animal Kingdom unless Rowling suddenly decides that Harry is a squirell and every character is an animal.

It's a business, sure. But you don't build a restaurant that you say will be devoted to family-oriented fine dining and plop strippers all over the place.

keep in mind that there is a reason why they call them "Theme" Parks.

CaptainMichael

S.E.A. said:
I don't think you fully understand the "themes" of each park. The Magic Kingdom is supposed to be a hodgepodge of different themes separated by areas by brought together by the central theme of "Disney" It works as long as it doesn't look out of place. The Castle can be seen from all point around the park and still be accepted is because it should be a constant reminder that it is "disney".

Plus, it is a kingdom, and kingdoms have castles

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom