Harry Potter interest from abroad.....

Halfling418

I thought it wouldn't work at first....being a huge Harry Potter fan. (I made fun of it until I read the books--and found they are brilliantly and cleverly written. The series has brought out every emotion concievable in me. I don't think you are allowed to knock HP until you have read it....if you have read it and hate it *gasp*, then rant about how horrible it is all you want. :) )

But I digress...I thought initially that it would be corny and wouldn't do the books justice; a silly ride to compare with the heavy, striking story.

But then I realized if it's going to happen, MGM would be the best park. Yes, the books and movies are obviously not Disney, but is Star Wars? No.

I think also that the ride would have to be about the magical world, not about the story itself, taking a leaf from Star Tours. Perhaps a trip through Hogwarts, Peeves bobbing at the ceiling, harassing the riders? Peeks into classrooms? A journey into the Forbidden Forest, with a glimpse of bowtruckles and centaurs? There would definately be a need for Spider-Man like technology.

Of course, that is, if this is even going to happen at all.

I do think it would be kind of dumb for characters to be walking around...but it would be funny to have random "wizards and witches" planted, attempting their best to sport Muggle clothing (if you've read the books, you know how funny that can look :D ).

LSUxStitch

I can see it now, just like Peter Pan...

Mom - "Oh look kids, its Harry Potter, do you want to get an autography?"
Kids - "Mommy, why does Harry Potter look like he is 35?"

:)

CaptainMichael

DisneyWales said:
Its not that i cant, i could see some good stuff coming from Harry Potter, as the wealth of material is outstanding. I just dont want to. For me it would take some of the magic of the books away. I like fact that so far Harry Potter is still in it own contained world. Perhaps after the 7th and Final book, but not before.
Well, considering they are still working on the rights, and book 7 is likely to be complete next year. It is more than likely that development will start after it is done.

Mimi

ISTCNavigator57 said:
I've seen it...and it's not spectacular. I actually thought it was complete garbage. Splash Mountain is based on about 20 minutes of the film...the rest is live action and not particularly enjoyable.

Off topic I know, but, this calls for a response: Song of the South was a very enjoyable film. Not the equivalent of say... Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella, but nice. Definitely not "garbage."

It was a cute little story; the point of which was that children can learn, even if the instrument of instruction is a pleasant one... and also that children can learn very well about how to deal with real-life problems by experiencing similar ones through fantasy, a.k.a. a fable.

All the social/political/economic extras in the film that resulted in its demise were simply what is known as historical fact,which was never meant to degrade or wrongly influence anyone.

I am deeply saddened by the fact that future generations have been deprived of the acquaintance of Uncle Remus and, although I love Splash Mountain, it is a sad reminder of yet another unnecessary loss.

Tigerdaly

Original Poster
There seems to be alot emotion kicked up by this thread for that I apologise.
There also seems a lot people saying it isn't Disney enough.
A few have been saying how Indiana Jones, and Star Wars and also Aerosmith are not Disney yet they fit in well.
How would you feel if Winnie the Pooh Tigger and there chums were not in the parks, I'm certain A.A.Milne and E.H.Sheppeard didn't contact Walt Disney for any help in creating these characters, yet they were adopted as Disney characters and are one of the most popular characters in the parks.

pax_65

Halfling418 said:
I don't think you are allowed to knock HP until you have read it....

I agree. Having read and enjoyed the books, I don't understand the passion some people have against a Disney attraction. It's a "good vs evil" story, similar in many ways to Star Wars (one has "magic", one has "the force") and many Disney movies for that matter (like Lion King).

Harry is a little "darker" than most happy Disney stories, but that doesn't mean the attraction would have to be. I could see a "Hogwarts" pavillion in Magic Kingdom that is light-heartened and fun with lots of strange things to explore and maybe a "Soarin'" type game of Quidditch. Or, the attraction could be in MGM and be more dark and scary, a showdown with Voldemort perhaps, which would be along the same lines as "Tower of Terror".

There's a world of possibilities, which is what makes the idea so exciting to some.

ToTBellHop

pax_65 said:
I agree. Having read and enjoyed the books, I don't understand the passion some people have against a Disney attraction. It's a "good vs evil" story, similar in many ways to Star Wars (one has "magic", one has "the force") and many Disney movies for that matter (like Lion King).

Harry is a little "darker" than most happy Disney stories, but that doesn't mean the attraction would have to be. I could see a "Hogwarts" pavillion in Magic Kingdom that is light-heartened and fun with lots of strange things to explore and maybe a "Soarin'" type game of Quidditch. Or, the attraction could be in MGM and be more dark and scary, a showdown with Voldemort perhaps, which would be along the same lines as "Tower of Terror".

There's a world of possibilities, which is what makes the idea so exciting to some.
Or, it could start happy, turn scary, and be happy in the end...a classic Disney formula used in such greats as Fantasmic!, Splash Mountain, Dinosaur, Kilimanjaro Safaris (to a lesser degree...disturbing instead of scary) and others.

penfold12

I understand that the rummor is that Disney is in talks with J. K. Rowling to get the theme park rights?

While I agree that this may be good for the parks such as MGM and the studios in Paris, my only worry is the actual look/theming of the attractions and characters.

While the books have been without doubt huge, the first and only visualisation to date has been in the WB movies. As teh deal is with J.K. and not warner bros. doesnt this mean that the locations and characters would have to differ from the film? Wouldnt this "cheapen" the value of the attraction? Star Tours & the Indy attractions are based on the movies, not books, and due to this are faithful to the visual memory people have.

Unless a deal is also worked out with WB, then to my mind it all seems a little silly!

DisneyWales

Mimi said:
I am deeply saddened by the fact that future generations have been deprived of the acquaintance of Uncle Remus.

According to www.ultimatedisney.com, disney have plans to release it as a special edition DVD for it's 60th anniversary, fall this year.

Its been on the upcoming list for a while now. I read somewhere that they have altered a few scenes which change the context of the charaters relationship. (So it seems the black man isn't a slave on a cotton field). Sorry im familiar with the film, but i dont know the full story. Just remember watching bits of it on a Disney Sing-A-Long Video.

Ralphlaw

It will come

Well, if strength is opinion and interest is any indication, it will have to come.

We are up to about 50 messages on this one thread, with a new thread on some aspect of a Harry Potter attraction starting every couple of weeks. Combine that with the huge public and media interest outside of WDWMAGIC and the answer pretty much becomes self-fulfilling, as follows:

HARRY POTTER WILL COME TO DISNEY BECAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE WANT IT.

And

DISNEY HAS TO DO IT BECAUSE THEY CAN'T LET THE COMPETITION TAKE IT AWAY FROM THEM.

Yes, many do not want it, but the majority will still be interested in it and see it once it's here. Further, the HP naysayers will not boycott Disney because of it.

Question: Did all of you welcome the news that Aerosmith, Twilight Zone, Muppets, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones were coming to Disney?

Answer: Personally, I'm glad they are there NOW, but I certainly would not have been overjoyed at the original news that Aerosmith and Twilight Zone were coming.

Does anyone seriously boycott Disney because they don't like Aerosmith or Twilight Zone? Of course not. It will come, too many people want it, and Disney will not let Universal or Six Flags get it instead.

CaptainMichael

Ralphlaw said:
Well, if strength is opinion and interest is any indication, it will have to come.

We are up to about 50 messages on this one thread, with a new thread on some aspect of a Harry Potter attraction starting every couple of weeks. Combine that with the huge public and media interest outside of WDWMAGIC and the answer pretty much becomes self-fulfilling, as follows:

HARRY POTTER WILL COME TO DISNEY BECAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE WANT IT.

And

DISNEY HAS TO DO IT BECAUSE THEY CAN'T LET THE COMPETITION TAKE IT AWAY FROM THEM.

Yes, many do not want it, but the majority will still be interested in it and see it once it's here. Further, the HP naysayers will not boycott Disney because of it.
Ralphlaw, you sir rock my socks! Great Post!

JimboJones123

I don't go ENTIRELY because of the muppets. WALT would have never let people violate those socks like that... it is an utter disgrace in our parks.. BAD SHOW!!!

Number_6

penfold12 said:
While the books have been without doubt huge, the first and only visualisation to date has been in the WB movies.

Not entirely true. The first visualization would have been the art in the books. After that, there was plenty of merchandising prior to the release of the first film which did not have representations of the actors portraying the roles, rather artwork depicting the characters. These include posters, bookends, party supplies, etc. The depictions of an attraction could easily be based off of these or even the limited artwork in the books themselves. Sure, it wouldn't be Dan Radcliffe and the rest, but it's still Harry & Co, so does it really matter in the end?

Hermione Bookend:
hermione_bookend.jpg

Dumbledore Figurine:
scopealbus.jpg

Hagrid Figurine:
scopehagrid.jpg

Harry Figurine:
scopeharry.jpg

ToTBellHop

The fact that the REAL Harry Potter fans are fans because of the books means that if they base the rides on the books and not the films, we fans will be happier, anyway. Really the only arguably important carry-over might be the Harry Potter theme song, which Disney could get the rights to, I'm sure--in the same way that they got the rights to the Twilight Zone theme.

CaptainMichael

M:SpilotISTC12 said:
Would Walt approve of HP being in Disney??? I highly doubt it. What do you guys think Walt would side with ye or ne?
Probably, if he read the books. Walt liked good stories. He probably would have fought for the film rights. However, we won't know this until one day we go to Heaven and ask him. It isn't good to dwell on what could have been. Instead, look towards a promising future. A future that could include Harry Potter at Walt Disney World.

Legacy

I would want to see one of two things if an attraction did come.

Either an omnimover (a classic Disney darkride one)

Or a (yes) effects stunt show. VERY very similar to the old Ghostbusters attraction at Universal Studios.

Complete with a finale duel between Harry and Voldemort.

The story could be modified a bit as well, to provide a reasoning for the audience to be there. Have it take place AFTER the final of the book (even if they die... because remember... Voldemort already died once...).

ToTBellHop

Legacy said:
I would want to see one of two things if an attraction did come.

Either an omnimover (a classic Disney darkride one)

Or a (yes) effects stunt show. VERY very similar to the old Ghostbusters attraction at Universal Studios.

Complete with a finale duel between Harry and Voldemort.

The story could be modified a bit as well, to provide a reasoning for the audience to be there. Have it take place AFTER the final of the book (even if they die... because remember... Voldemort already died once...).
Hmmm...I believe this time, Voldemort's death will be final. Remember the prophecy? He has yet to completely die yet, due to his horcruxes...

Legacy

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Hmmm...I believe this time, Voldemort's death will be final. Remember the prophecy? He has yet to completely die yet, due to his horcruxes...
But honestly?

How difficult would it be for one more horcrux to remain hidden?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom