Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows

popsicletrees

I also think that what Snape did was all part of the plan. At the end of book 6, Snape could have read Dumbledore's mind (I don't really remember what they called it in the book), and Dumbledore instructed him to do what he did. It wouldn't surprise me if Neville has a much bigger part in the last installment.

Wilt Dasney

No kidding... for me, Richard Harris WAS the enbodiment of Dumbledore.. he was prefect!

6gwyjwi.jpg

His mannerisms, his slow and soothing voice.. every way he was was pure Albus Dumberdore. I was so sad to see his pass, as I loved him before he was even DD. But to be he was made for this role.
I am not sure if you have listened to the audio books for HP, but Jim Dale the reader for all of them is BRILLIANT. But when he does Dumbledore, he sound JUST like Harris. And he read that before the first film was even cast I believe.

So when I read the books I always picture Harris as DD, I just can't visualize any other. Even though Michael Gambon is now DD, and he does a decent job, he is just completely different. I think he seems a little bit manic at times. he does things in the film, that Dumbledore would never do. Such as flying off the handle at Harry, grabbing him and inquisitioning him, alot of rasied voice and yelling... just not the DD way I dont think. I think he might be better in OoTP though. With the flight scene and all. I hope he gets better.

Ok I am done.. and sad now, I miss the original Dumbledore. :(
Dude...it's like you snuck in my head and wrote down all my thoughts. I agree 100% about the Harris/Gambon difference.

I do remember thinking that the bits of Gambon I saw in the OotP trailer seemed more in line with the "real" Dumbledore. Maybe he realized he needed to dial it down a little. I would be thrilled if that's the case, because his characterization has pulled me out of the last few movies a bit.

Peaches Magee

Dude...it's like you snuck in my head and wrote down all my thoughts. I agree 100% about the Harris/Gambon difference.

I do remember thinking that the bits of Gambon I saw in the OotP trailer seemed more in line with the "real" Dumbledore. Maybe he realized he needed to dial it down a little. I would be thrilled if that's the case, because his characterization has pulled me out of the last few movies a bit.

Hehe...The thought snatcher that I am! :fork:

But right?!

Especially in Book 6
****** SPOILER ALERT****
DONT READ ON IF YOU NEVER READ BOOK 6******

When he is in the cave with Harry and he drinks the bowl of green innamed stuff and the pleading and begging... and how when Harry is carrying him back and he says, "Don't worry, Professor" and DD says
"I'm not worried Harry, I'm with you" Ahhhhh!
I just SEE Harris acting that whole scene with brilliance. Gambon has to soften up alot. I founf him to be decent in PoA but he killed it for me in GOF.

He was just overacting. And I believe he is a great actor. But Dumbledore has a presence about him both on paper and on film and Harris had it pegged. He is like someone you always feel comfortable and safe around and with such a held respect and dignity. And that is soo DD and Harris in that aspect. I am hoping Gambon does shine in this film especially in the Ministry scene, I can NOT wait to see how that is done!

A little over a week now. :)

CaptainMichael

Well, as easy as it is to blame Gambon, it's not entirely his fault. The directors tell him what to do and wear...and seeing how he hasn't read the books, he doesn't really know better (he should have read OotP and HBP, that's for sure).

My gripes:
1) Dumbledore doesn't always wear the same dingy gray robes! In the books, his robes are rivaled only by Lockhart's IMO.

2) Dumbledore always wears his half-moon spectacles in the books...he doesn't always in the movies.

3) Dumbledore has pretty, white beard...not a dingy, stragly silver one with a rubberband in the middle.

4) He is supposed to be calm and collected, not the way he was in GoF (which I blame on Newell because he wasn't like that in PoA). I sure hope Yates/Goldenberg gets it right in OotP because Dumbledore plays a big part. I love when he fights Voldemort and calls him Tom...BEAST!

CaptainMichael

Actually, I think I can imagine Snape pulling a Darth Vader in the book. At the last minuite, he'll turn good and save Harry, but kill himself in the process.

Oh man, I can't wait Ffor the book and the movie. Here's some great new clips of the movie for those who are interested: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808475612/video/3191100/

I wouldn't mind that...as long as we was evil to start with.

I just don't see the whole planned murder thing...just seems disturbing to me and completely unDumbledoreish. He wouldn't want anyone he saw good in to do something so bad and harmful to themselves (splits your soul). And, for AK to work, you have to mean it...if Snape were truly good and Dumbledore was the one to give him a second chance (after that huge screwup that left Harry parentless:fork: which ironically gave Harry the fame that Snape is jealous of) how could he kill him? I couldn't see Hagrid being able to do that. Also, no one in the Order seemed to know of any plan...how would Dumbledore expect anyone to trust Snape's word that it was a plan?

Once again, I may be wrong, but I don't like Severus Snape!:fork:

Oh, and Imagineer Boy, are you going to see it in IMAX? I am!:sohappy:

Number_6

I wouldn't mind that...as long as we was evil to start with.

I just don't see the whole planned murder thing...just seems disturbing to me and completely unDumbledoreish. He wouldn't want anyone he saw good in to do something so bad and harmful to themselves (splits your soul). And, for AK to work, you have to mean it...if Snape were truly good and Dumbledore was the one to give him a second chance (after that huge screwup that left Harry parentless:fork: which ironically gave Harry the fame that Snape is jealous of) how could he kill him? I couldn't see Hagrid being able to do that. Also, no one in the Order seemed to know of any plan...how would Dumbledore expect anyone to trust Snape's word that it was a plan?

Once again, I may be wrong, but I don't like Severus Snape!:fork:

But remember, something had happened to Dumbledore's hand when he destroyed one of the Horcruxes, we don't know if that was going to slowly spread and kill him eventually anyway. If it was, then perhaps he told Snape that if it comes down to it and the only way to keep his cover from being blown is to strike down Dumbledore, then he has to do it. And remember, Avada Kadavra only works if you really mean it. The initial blast from that may not have been what killed Dumbledore, as he staggered back and fell from the top of the tower, hitting the ground. They never got into the true cause of death. And as far as no one else in the Order being aware of any plan, you can't trust that one of them wouldn't get caught and have their mind raked through for information. That plan would have been given away and it would have been all for naught. Also, Snape knows most, if not all, of the Order don't trust him and some of them may have tried to step in and stop it if they could. Even if someone that trusted him did know about the plan, then you run the risk of them not reacting the way they should when this situation happened and still accidentally blowing Snapes cover. Too many possible variables to totally count out Snape still being on the side of good.

imagineer boy

I sure am! I saw GOF in Imax, but it wasn't in 3-D. I havn't seen an Imax 3-D movie before, but I hear its amazing ( even though its only during the final battle ).

As for the whole Gambon/Harris thing, I will say I prefer Harris as Dumbledor because he simply WAS Dumbledor. However I think Gambon has done a fine job as Dumbledore ( except for the scene in which he shoved Harry against the wall in GOF which was very un-Dumbledore like ).

Uponastar

So...

I like the new Dumbedore... better... than the old one...

:lookaroun

You're weird. :lookaroun

I sure am! I saw GOF in Imax, but it wasn't in 3-D. I havn't seen an Imax 3-D movie before, but I hear its amazing ( even though its only during the final battle ).

As for the whole Gambon/Harris thing, I will say I prefer Harris as Dumbledor because he simply WAS Dumbledor. However I think Gambon has done a fine job as Dumbledore ( except for the scene in which he shoved Harry against the wall in GOF which was very un-Dumbledore like ).

I so agree.
Dumbledore would not!

I suppose I'd like Gambon just fine if I'd never seen Harris in the role.
He was Dumbledore.

Pongo

I just don't see the whole planned murder thing...just seems disturbing to me and completely unDumbledoreish.
I think Dumbledore has the well-being of the entire magical communtiy in mind, in which case, if his death is necessary for Voldemort's death, it's completely Dumbledoreish to have a planned murder.

He wouldn't want anyone he saw good in to do something so bad and harmful to themselves (splits your soul).
Again, sacrifices have to be made in order for the good guys to succeed. It's better for Dumbledore to have himself killed than anyone else killed.

And, for AK to work, you have to mean it...if Snape were truly good and Dumbledore was the one to give him a second chance (after that huge screwup that left Harry parentless:fork: which ironically gave Harry the fame that Snape is jealous of) how could he kill him?
I'm on the side that says Snape is truly good. Therefore, I think that if Snape wants to destroy Voldemort and the Death Eaters, he would understand that Dumbledore's death is for the best. In which case, he WOULD "mean it" when he killed Dumbledore. He didn't do it because he wanted to kill Dumbledore, he did it because he wanted to destroy the dark wizards in the long run.

I couldn't see Hagrid being able to do that.
That's why Dumbledore trusted Snape with the duty. Hagrid doesn't even have a proper wand. Snape has no problem cutting off his feelings.

Also, no one in the Order seemed to know of any plan...how would Dumbledore expect anyone to trust Snape's word that it was a plan?
I think it's said in the 5th book that not everyone in the Order knows everything... except for Dumbledore, of course. It would just be stupid to tell everyone what was happening all the time.

:wave:

popsicletrees

I really need to go back and re-read the 6th book. The fifth was my favorite. I was more upset at the end of the 5th than I was at the 6th.

I'm interested in finding out who the horcrux belongs to that they found in the house. My guess is Sirius's brother.

Nicole220

That part really bothered me. It's not like Dumbledore to do that, he is such a calm guy.

As I'm in the middle of the 5th book, I have forgotten how annoying Harry got with his moody attitude. I know he went through a lot in the graveyard, but still...

Wilt Dasney

As I'm in the middle of the 5th book, I have forgotten how annoying Harry got with his moody attitude. I know he went through a lot in the graveyard, but still...

Aw man, I had forgotten about that too. I got REALLLLY tired of "emo Harry." Maybe I shouldn't be looking forward to this new movie so much. :lol:

imagineer boy

Aw man, I had forgotten about that too. I got REALLLLY tired of "emo Harry." Maybe I shouldn't be looking forward to this new movie so much. :lol:

From what I've read, there won't be much "emo Harry" in the film. He at least won't trash Dumbledor's office.

Oh well, can't be much worse than the emo-Spiderman in Spiderman 3. :lol:

PinMadness

I am so pumped for this book.

I actually am planning on quitting my weekend job because they won't let me off of work for the release. :p

I think that Harry will die. Unless Ms. Rowling is able to end the book in a way that will leave people not wanting more, she'll have to kill Harry.

I think Snape is a good guy too.

tinkerbell88

Original Poster
Harry wont die voldemort will cuz if voldemort lives and he dies then she will have make more books cuz the whole idea is to to kill voldemort right?!

Peaches Magee

Well, as easy as it is to blame Gambon, it's not entirely his fault. The directors tell him what to do and wear...and seeing how he hasn't read the books, he doesn't really know better (he should have read OotP and HBP, that's for sure).

My gripes:
1) Dumbledore doesn't always wear the same dingy gray robes! In the books, his robes are rivaled only by Lockhart's IMO.

2) Dumbledore always wears his half-moon spectacles in the books...he doesn't always in the movies.

3) Dumbledore has pretty, white beard...not a dingy, stragly silver one with a rubberband in the middle.

4) He is supposed to be calm and collected, not the way he was in GoF (which I blame on Newell because he wasn't like that in PoA). I sure hope Yates/Goldenberg gets it right in OotP because Dumbledore plays a big part. I love when he fights Voldemort and calls him Tom...BEAST!

I do agree... like I said he has done a decent job, just VERY different from the previous DD and the ones portryed in the books. And it is the directors fault on that one for sure. Cuaron did a good job in PoA, because DD was calm and even a bit playful. But in the scenes in GoF just were very unlike the true essence of the character. He admitted to never reading the books? That should be a requirement for casting along with reading the screenplay & script.. that is the only way they can truely grasp the character that was created on paper first and premost. I know all the kids have read them so why not a key charcter like DD. Oh well.

And YES thank u for bringing up the costuming issue!
I have no clue why they make his so muted. I remember many times reading that he had vivid royal blue robes with moons and stars on them and many other bright descriptions of his robes. And his hat was pointed in the books always correct? And how is beard was a magnificent white. And the half-moon spectacles were always a mainstay.

I remember watching behind the scenes stuff before PoA came out and they were saying how they took a different spin on DD when Gambon came in, made him kind of hippie-looking, hence the beanie cap and the beard ponytail. Seems there was NO need to change the character even though the actor changed, they should have kept at least that in tact, you know.

Emo Harry... haaa! True. But I also remember how mad I was int hat book for all the bad things that happen to Harry that year that could make anyone Emo. And he IS 15, all full of angst anyways... meh. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom