Harambe Nights at Disney's Animal Kingdom this summer

slappy magoo

Because it wasn't a big deal. I get annoyed because I try to view things from both sides of the spectrum and people (not saying you) still want to argue and force their point, disregarding the point I was trying to make. It's frustrating.

And seriously, I can't remember each and every post, but one person doesn't make for everybody. But I'm also not going out of my way to "prove someone wrong" either, by going through posts and quoting it, I don't see the point in that. Does that make them feel better? LOL.

And I am easy-going but the jumping on others is getting a bit tired because they express a different opinion (again, not saying you).

I swear, this is not an attempt to jump on you either. I'm not faulting you for not remembering each and every post. And I agree that the fact that you were wrong is not a big deal at all. But again, it's one thing for you to say "oh, I was wrong" and someone else to go "eh, it's no big deal" and another thing for you to say "I was wrong, but it's no big deal and besides I wasn't wrong."

It's the fact that you now say you weren't wrong AND it's no big deal that you were wrong that I currently find baffling.

slappy magoo

I doubt the show will be on par with a Cirque show, but doesn't it have to be something better than the free daytime show? If not I will predict now that this will fail miserably.

Same goes for the food and beer/wine. The way I read Steve's update is the apps and drinks before the show are included in the price. I'm making an assumption that the after party would have free stuff too. Again, not based on anything other than the price. The EPCOT thing is close to 1/4 the price so if all I get here is drinks and apps before the show and the free show, what am I really getting for the extra $85? I know nobody has an answer since we don't have all the info but they must be offering something more to dictate that price.

The way I'm reading it, the appetizers and drinks are free before the show but "on offer" after the show, meaning either a: they won't be included or b: they won't be readily available, trying to make you feel like a schmuck if you can find someone to ask "hey I know the show's over but can we get some more spring rolls over here, please?"

JohnD

I don't know whether to be upset or grateful that I can't attend because I have a Florida Resident Seasonal Pass and my summer blockout dates begin that day.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The way I'm reading it, the appetizers and drinks are free before the show but "on offer" after the show, meaning either a: they won't be included or b: they won't be readily available, trying to make you feel like a schmuck if you can find someone to ask "hey I know the show's over but can we get some more spring rolls over here, please?"
It's likely if they are free they won't be flowing freely. Nobody wants to have to clean puke off a Disney bus:(

slappy magoo

It's likely if they are free they won't be flowing freely. Nobody wants to have to clean puke off a Disney bus:(
The way people gorge themselves while on vacation, I'm sure puke is washed off buses all the time whether alcohol is involved or not. But yeah, either you'll have to wait for someone to take an order, and you can be sure they won't be rotating through the crowds quickly, OR you'll have to wait at a too-small and too-understaffed bar to place an order, at least after the show, to dissuade people from sticking around.

Honestly, I hope this is a big deal. I hope for this kind of money Disney pulls out some serious stops, and that maybe this is a beta test for a show that will then be open to all guests after the summer and people decide it is indeed like a night of theater with some food and drinks included and therefore worth the price.

I don't think this is what will happen, but I hope. Because it would be nice for there to be some more adult-style offerings within The World. I understand that PI wasn't the cash cow they always hoped it could be, but the fact there's so few lounges/venues with live entertainment, and the fact that not everyone is looking for the uhn tiss unh tiss unh tiss of a club but wouldn't mind a night without kids being everywhere even on a WDW trip, makes pickings kinda slim. There's the Lounge at Coronado but from what I gather that is a bit of the unh tiss unh tiss, for conventiongoers to blow off some steam. I've walked into Atlantic Dance Hall 3 times and immediately walked back out because there were never more than 10 people in there. Having Jellyrolls is great, karaoke at the Swan is fun, and I know some lounges will have musicians perform. But honestly a place with an Adventurer's Club style theater show, or standup or improv, something for adults not trying to get their swerve on, would be awesome.

71jason

"On offer" is a lawyery way of saying "for sale."

71jason

I understand that PI wasn't the cash cow they always hoped it could be

Hardly the place for this debate again, but I can't help it: 8-Traxx was the most profitable bar per square foot in the country. All but two of the others made money, too--before factoring in the $25 cover charge (or things like banquets, which dropped 25% after PI closed). PI was a money tree.

slappy magoo

Hardly the place for this debate again, but I can't help it: 8-Traxx was the most profitable bar per square foot in the country. All but two of the others made money, too--before factoring in the $25 cover charge (or things like banquets, which dropped 25% after PI closed). PI was a money tree.
I'm not saying it wasn't profitable. I'm saying that either it wasn't as profitable as Disney wanted it to be (no matter how profitable it actually was) or they thought there was more money to be made in using the space other ways. OR they did some sort of long-term analysis and concluded PI would start to NOT be profitable in the longer-term and better to get out before it stopped being profitable. A company could make a billion dollars in net profit but if they expected 1.1B, then Wall Street says they had a crap year while the rest of us wish we could have that crap of a year.

BTW, I wonder if, 20/20 hindsight being what is, they would have done anything different. At the very least, had they known their original post-PI plans would have been met with such "meh"-ness, would they have opted to keep the clubs open for a few more years and worked on a better plan.

Cesar R M

I doubt the show will be on par with a Cirque show, but doesn't it have to be something better than the free daytime show? If not I will predict now that this will fail miserably.

Same goes for the food and beer/wine. The way I read Steve's update is the apps and drinks before the show are included in the price. I'm making an assumption that the after party would have free stuff too. Again, not based on anything other than the price. The EPCOT thing is close to 1/4 the price so if all I get here is drinks and apps before the show and the free show, what am I really getting for the extra $85? I know nobody has an answer since we don't have all the info but they must be offering something more to dictate that price.
maybe exclusivity?
Maybe there is a very strong hard limit on the AK park show one while Epcot's is way bigger? (Ie 1 location vs 4 locations?)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I am just going to go ahead and throw this out there.

So far, I am the only person who said it was $x plus park admission. I was only kidding at the time. I have no idea if park admission is required. My insider connection is @George, and he's not so reliable. So, MAYBE, this $100+ dollars also gets you into the park at a certain time, ala MVMCP?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

So far, I am the only person who said it was $x plus park admission. I was only kidding at the time. I have no idea if park admission is required. My insider connection is @George, and he's not so reliable. So, MAYBE, this $100+ dollars also gets you into the park at a certain time, ala MVMCP?

We shall have to wait until Disney adds it to the list of events. As I stated previously, when I went to MNSSHP last October, I had to use my AP to get into the park, even though I went an hour after the event started and showed the CMs at the turnstile the printout of my event ticket purchase. Only then was I able to walk up to the CMs standing beyond the turnstiles to get my wrist band. The event site states that you need valid park admission. I agree, if the event is an after park closing (the MK closes at 7PM on the nights of MNSSHP & MVCCP), then you shouldn't need a valid park admission as the only guests allowed in are ones who have purchased a ticket for that night's event. I guess I picked a night to go when Disney decided to selectively check for valid park admission. Since I'm going back again this October and will once again attend MNSSHP while I'm there, I hope I won't have to use my MB to get into the park.

Jeffxz

We shall have to wait until Disney adds it to the list of events. As I stated previously, when I went to MNSSHP last October, I had to use my AP to get into the park, even though I went an hour after the event started and showed the CMs at the turnstile the printout of my event ticket purchase. Only then was I able to walk up to the CMs standing beyond the turnstiles to get my wrist band. The event site states that you need valid park admission. I agree, if the event is an after park closing (the MK closes at 7PM on the nights of MNSSHP & MVCCP), then you shouldn't need a valid park admission as the only guests allowed in are ones who have purchased a ticket for that night's event. I guess I picked a night to go when Disney decided to selectively check for valid park admission. Since I'm going back again this October and will once again attend MNSSHP while I'm there, I hope I won't have to use my MB to get into the park.

You definitely don't need a standard day ticket to get into MNSSHP or MVMCP. Your party ticket will get you in the park any time after 4:00 pm.

The only thing I can think of to explain your experience is that if you bought an event ticket with the AP discount, they made you swipe your AP at the gate to verify you were the correct person who was entitled to the discount.

ETA: I just re-read your post and realized you said that you had a printout that you tried to use to get you in. As far as I know, you have always needed a physical ticket to get in (either mailed to you; or you exchange your voucher at the ticket windows). My guess here would be that you didn't exchange the voucher for a ticket, and the CM just let you use your AP to get in instead of sending you all the way back to the ticket windows or guest services.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
You definitely don't need a standard day ticket to get into MNSSHP or MVMCP. Your party ticket will get you in the park any time after 4:00 pm.

The only thing I can think of to explain your experience is that if you bought an event ticket with the AP discount, they made you swipe your AP at the gate to verify you were the correct person who was entitled to the discount.

That could be it - but making me show my AP, along with my ticket purchase confirmation, to get my wrist band would have accomplished the same thing. However, the event page (I just looked at it) says "valid park admission required". So Disney being a little contradictory?

LAKid53

Premium Member

ETA: I just re-read your post and realized you said that you had a printout that you tried to use to get you in. As far as I know, you have always needed a physical ticket to get in (either mailed to you; or you exchange your voucher at the ticket windows). My guess here would be that you didn't exchange the voucher for a ticket, and the CM just let you use your AP to get in instead of sending you all the way back to the ticket windows or guest services.

I bought my ticket on-line and the proof of purchase (with the bar code) stated I needed to bring that with me to get into the event. I asked at GS earlier and they said that's all I needed to get into the event.

JohnD

Earlier I said I couldn't go because I have a seasonal AP. Upon further reading it appears that isn't true. It's a separately priced ticket. HOWEVER, it begins on the first day of block out dates for regular admission into the parks for seasonal APs. Unless I live in the area and can drive in for the evening, I still wouldn't be making a trip to WDW just for this event if I can't get into the parks at any other time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Good point. I'm assuming the rides won't be open during the event, but if they let you in 3 hours before park close at 4PM like MVMCP then you could hit the headliners and catch the party after. That could be the approach they are taking. If MVMCP included apps and beer/wine it would probably cost around $120. I think you may be on to something.

cw1982

Where are people seeing that the show is Festival of the Lion King? Based on Steve's info it doesn't look like that's the case at all. How would people react if the show was The Adventurer's Club or some variant?

I was wondering about this as well... seems like people grab one bit of conjecture and run with it as fact. If I'm not mistaken, that idea is derived from the location of the show, since it also houses Festival of the Lion King. Doesn't mean they can't host a different show there once the park closes.

Maybe I misread something, though. In all fairness, I'm having the day from hell and am more than a little sleep deprived at the moment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom