Harambe Nights at Disney's Animal Kingdom this summer

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Where are people seeing that the show is Festival of the Lion King? Based on Steve's info it doesn't look like that's the case at all. How would people react if the show was The Adventurer's Club or some variant?
I was wondering about this as well... seems like people grab one bit of conjecture and run with it as fact. If I'm not mistaken, that idea is derived from the location of the show, since it also houses Festival of the Lion King. Doesn't mean they can't host a different show there once the park closes.

Maybe I misread something, though. In all fairness, I'm having the day from hell and am more than a little sleep deprived at the moment.
You aren't missing anything. It's all just speculation at this point due to lack of actual information. IMHO it can't just be the day time show. It has to be something different if you want to sell it as an upsell experience. Again, just speculation on my part.

cw1982

You aren't missing anything. It's all just speculation at this point due to lack of actual information. IMHO it can't just be the day time show. It has to be something different if you want to sell it as an upsell experience. Again, just speculation on my part.

I agree 100%.

BigTxEars

My company rented AK one night in March, must have been 2010 or maybe 2011. The rides were open and all but it was too cold to ride them. None of us knew ahead of time, they just took us from the convention center in buses and dropped us off at the park so no one brought jackets. I think we arrived around 7:30pm or so. They had little free food stands set up around the park which was nice. The gift shops that were open sold out of jackets and all very quickly. I managed to get a ladies' purple Goofy sweatshirt that was way to big for me, I wore it even though my peers made fun of me for it. Screw them it was cold!

I then re-gifted it to the wife when I got home like I had bought it for her :)

I would love to go back to AK at night but only if it's warm or I have a jacket!

Last edited:

BigTxEars

Please enlighten us, oh great one, on what should and should not be said against our lord and savior Mickey.

I think maybe not trying to tie everything WDW does to increase revenue into some conspiracy to boost MM ROI might be logical. :)

Before MM it was simple WDW greed when they did something to raise revenue, now it's all MM CYA to some!!! :confused:

I still do not see the difference between this and the dozens of other revenue raising events that WDW has done for years. Take em or leave I say :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think maybe not trying to tie everything WDW does to increase revenue into some conspiracy to boost MM ROI might be logical. :)

Before MM it was simple WDW greed when they did something to raise revenue, now it's all MM CYA to some!!! :confused:

I still do not see the difference between this and the dozens of other revenue raising events that WDW has done for years. Take em or leave I say :)
It's always been about making money. Even in Walt's day.

The reason people bring up MM+ in connection to these type of events is that Iger and crew have promised increased guest spending as a result of their billion dollar project. It was a key selling point to the street. The theory is that in order to save face and cover up the fact that the real returns aren't there they are adding additional upsells to make up for it. That's the theory. Whether it's true is a matter of opinion and speculation for all but a few people (none of who post here:)).

wannab@dis

It's always been about making money. Even in Walt's day.

The reason people bring up MM+ in connection to these type of events is that Iger and crew have promised increased guest spending as a result of their billion dollar project. It was a key selling point to the street. The theory is that in order to save face and cover up the fact that the real returns aren't there they are adding additional upsells to make up for it. That's the theory. Whether it's true is a matter of opinion and speculation for all but a few people (none of who post here:)).
You're right. MM+ may be within budget, but whether or not the ROI meet projections is a huge unknown. My bet is it may, but not as fast as they had hoped. That won't make it a complete failure, but a slower realized (partial?) success for the company. For the consumers, I think MM+ has laid the groundwork and infrastructure for many updates and more ideas that will be a benefit.

BigTxEars

So in the end we don't know.

My belief that these events are typical revenue raising attempts (and thus are not related to MM ROI) is based on the fact that they differ very little if at all on the events that WDW started well before MM. I see WDW acting now just as they did before. They want my money, they offer me a event in exchange for that money and hope I take them up on it. They offer new and different events to keep folks coming back to these types of events as well as draw in new guest that may not have liked the previous offers. This is the same reason the fast food places in the nation change up their menus so often. Trying to keep them fresh while maintaing the good sellers:)

Why McDonalds refuses to keep the McRib year round is beyond me!

Predicting WDW will try and offer me new ways to part with my money is not a very bold prediction IMO based on their history. It's as bold as predicting the government will try and find new ways to tax us :)

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Is it to recoup costs of MM+, or is it to increase spending per guest, so TWDC can go to Wall St. and say, "Look, MM+ increased spending per guest just like we predicted." Not being snarky, serious question.
My only worry would be.. what if they find these to be very profitable.. and even if MM+ is paid way faster than expected ... they will make these type of things PERMANENT?

The spin will be, like all reserved seating dining things, that what you're paying for is the food and not the show. Oh and possibly the exclusivity of seeing FOTLK before it's reopening or possibly with some minor plussings.
so 100 USD for just the food?
I honestly hope its more than just the show.
like a special nighttime spectacular just for them..

Cesar R M

My company rented AK one night in March, must have been 2010 or maybe 2011. The rides were open and all but it was too cold to ride them. None of us knew ahead of time, they just took us from the convention center in buses and dropped us off at the park so no one brought jackets. I think we arrived around 7:30pm or so. They had little free food stands set up around the park which was nice. The gift shops that were open sold out of jackets and all very quickly. I managed to get a ladies' purple Goofy sweatshirt that was way to big for me, I wore it even though my peers made fun of me for it. Screw them it was cold!

I then re-gifted it to the wife when I got home like I had bought it for her :)

I would love to go back to AK at night but only if it's warm or I have a jacket!
sir.. you are very very sneaky ;)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Lot more details and looks like a lot of assumptions were incorrect. It's not the regular show, apps AND meal are included, admission ticket not required.

1) Apps and Drinks
2) Lion King theatrical show with narrator (looking forward to seeing this!)
3) Buffet dinner
4) Street party with entertainment

It's not the regular show. Correct, but it does look like what @GymLeaderPhil said it was. The Lion King show with some moderate plusses, a narrator for example.

Speaking to the park admission issue, I guess that's on me. I posted on page one joking about the cost(which I made up) and people ran with it.

Kman101

I like the offering. It sounds quite interesting and it's nice to see AK get something unique like this. I wish I could afford to do it :(

I have no problem at all with the pricing now that it's clear what's going to be offered (my ONLY real issue with the pricing was because there was talk of separate admission, that's all).

And very nice to see they'll have some Lion King merchandise.

Wonder if the street party will include some of the animals used in the Jammin' Jungle Parade?

RivieraJenn

I agree that, with the details now in place, the price is technically reasonable. This is similar to what I'd pay for a night at the ballet or the theater plus a nice dinner beforehand. (Note that the show includes a live orchestra--that is a huge expense.) HOWEVER, when I do go to the ballet or the theater, I am not ALSO paying several hundred dollars for theme park tickets, hotel rooms and restaurant meals in the same week. So, while I think the event sounds like a really nice evening out, it just would not be feasible for me on top of the other expenses attached to a WDW trip. If I were local and could go just for this event one evening, I would consider it.

disney4life2008

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom