Harambe Nights at Disney's Animal Kingdom this summer

disney4life2008

I agree that, with the details now in place, the price is technically reasonable. This is similar to what I'd pay for a night at the ballet or the theater plus a nice dinner beforehand. (Note that the show includes a live orchestra--that is a huge expense.) HOWEVER, when I do go to the ballet or the theater, I am not ALSO paying several hundred dollars for theme park tickets, hotel rooms and restaurant meals in the same week. So, while I think the event sounds like a really nice evening out, it just would not be feasible for me on top of the other expenses attached to a WDW trip. If I were local and could go just for this event one evening, I would consider it.

Good points. I think many of us are in the same boat. But this event clearly is not for those of us that make ends meet to go to Disneyworld. Its for "premium" guests that will be willing to close to $600 for a family of four on additional this. it sounds amazing and the price is not too bad. But on my grad school budget its a no go.

disney4life2008

BTW - Harambe Night is not the last one of these offerings - expect another.
Epcot world showcase has a premium event
AK has a premium event
Your saying hs and Mk are next?

As long as it does not interfere with park hours (early closing times) and evening extra magic hours are not touched then this is fine with me.

cw1982

As long as it does not interfere with park hours (early closing times) and evening extra magic hours are not touched then this is fine with me.

This is what has me a little nervous... lol.

Then again, surely they wouldn't take away evening EMH on a date that is less than a month away (June 1 is the date I need to keep in place lol)

Kman101

I'd imagine it would be Hollywood Studios but that's just a huuuuge guess on my part. MK already has the Christmas and Halloween parties that run from September to December, LOL. Although they could always bring back the Pirate and Princess Party. I thought the fireworks for that were fantastic and very well done. I think they tried it a little too soon.

FerretAfros

Judging from the artist concept, and the mention of live orchestra, choir, and narrator, it looks nothing like a moderate plusing of FOLK. Looks like something original.
I agree. It sounds like the Candlelight Processional, but instead of telling the Jesus story it's the Simba story

Considering that a family could get tickets to the wildly popular Lion King stage show in NYC or on tour for about the same price, I guess it's reasonable, but I'm not sure I'd pay it. I'd rather see the 2.5 hour full show with a larger choir and actual actors, rather than a shorter concert with occasional visual elements and a celebrity narrator. I can see why some people would be interested in it, but it's not for me

Animaniac93-98

I agree. It sounds like the Candlelight Processional, but instead of telling the Jesus story it's the Simba story

Considering that a family could get tickets to the wildly popular Lion King stage show in NYC or on tour for about the same price, I guess it's reasonable, but I'm not sure I'd pay it. I'd rather see the 2.5 hour full show with a larger choir and actual actors, rather than a shorter concert with occasional visual elements and a celebrity narrator. I can see why some people would be interested in it, but it's not for me

Lion King is playing in Toronto right now and I'm pretty sure that for $119 or $134 USD I could get a decent seat for the show (they start at $35 CDN) and a meal/buffet at a downtown restaurant. Would rather do that, but others may place a greater value on the street party and merch, or the fact that it is in AK.

doctornick

I'd imagine it would be Hollywood Studios but that's just a huuuuge guess on my part. MK already has the Christmas and Halloween parties that run from September to December, LOL. Although they could always bring back the Pirate and Princess Party. I thought the fireworks for that were fantastic and very well done. I think they tried it a little too soon.

I think having a different event in DAK on a different night might make sense. Maybe use the Nemo theater for a show (based on, say, The Jungle Book) and then do an Asian themed reception in Asia.

djkidkaz

If this is at 7pm every Saturday night in Africa, how will this effect the park staying open late? There are supposed to be night time safaris. How will you move guests past the paid Harambe Nights party to the night time safaris without confusion as to who paid to party and who didn't?

RivieraJenn

If this is at 7pm every Saturday night in Africa, how will this effect the park staying open late? There are supposed to be night time safaris. How will you move guests past the paid Harambe Nights party to the night time safaris without confusion as to who paid to party and who didn't?

Harambe Nights will only run through the beginning of August. There is no date set for the opening of nighttime safaris, but I wouldn't expect that offering to begin before Pandora/Rivers of Light open...in several years.

note2001

that looks way better than expected.. so its an orchesta/live show, sort of famous actor narrating.. party with buffet.

How do folk feel about the celebrity narrators?

I'm on the fence, leaning toward the insulted side, reason being, I feel like at least $50 of each ticket is going to pay the celebrity for their time. As someone who feels 'famous' folk are the same as the rest of us, I don't see the value there.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

I'm on the fence, leaning toward the insulted side, reason being, I feel like at least $50 of each ticket is going to pay the celebrity for their time. As someone who feels 'famous' folk are the same as the rest of us, I don't see the value there.
It is a successful formula brought over from Candlelight Processional at Epcot - it seems to work with guests - they sell a lot of dinner packages.

note2001

It is a successful formula brought over from Candlelight Processional at Epcot - it seems to work with guests - they sell a lot of dinner packages.

I understand what you're trying to say, but CP is a different animal. You can see the CP without a dinner package, simply with the price of park admission (and waiting in line.) Also, the CP has true meaning to many, including the narrators, it goes far beyond the concept of story hour.

Harambe Nights is story time. I know there are many out there who will pay the current advertised price and to them it's well worth it. I'd consider the dinner show if they had a version $50 less expensive with a non-celebrity narrator. Considering there are many excellent folk out there, I don't see the attraction to paying more to see someone you can see on a TV show.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Not sure I agree. When people see a "celebrity" attached to an event - especially at disneyworld - it is almost guarenteed to be a success. Most people look at famous people and think "wow" and will fork over the money. To the other degree- I am with you. I have lived in NYC and have walked the streets with many celebs and they are just like us. But you and I are a severe minority.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom