Harambe Nights at Disney's Animal Kingdom this summer

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agreed. At $60-80, I could see it being reasonable. But this seems excessive even if all the food and drink is included (which is not clear if that is the case). It better be one heck of a show.

Since they are only offering this for a limited time and only 1 night a week I assume they are banking on demand exceeding supply resulting in people being willing to shell out the cash. It seems like they want to make it a premium offering vs something designed to appeal to the masses. I can't see locals going for this. Probably marketed more towards the $700 a night Grand Floridian crowd.

Animaniac93-98

Since they are only offering this for a limited time and only 1 night a week I assume they are banking on demand exceeding supply resulting in people being willing to shell out the cash. It seems like they want to make it a premium offering vs something designed to appeal to the masses. I can't see locals going for this. Probably marketed more towards the $700 a night Grand Floridian crowd.

Disney could have a plan for tiered after hour park offerings with Epcot's new event on the low end and this on the high. I suspect MK (e-ride nights coming back?) and DHS will get things too.

cw1982

Ugh... I hope ride nights don't come back and take away from the hours I'm planning to be at MK! Lol... it'll be interesting to see what else pops up in the next few weeks.

Animaniac93-98

Ugh... I hope ride nights don't come back and take away from the hours I'm planning to be at MK! Lol... it'll be interesting to see what else pops up in the next few weeks.

Did they close the park early for ride nights, or was it just an extra 3 hours afterwords?

cw1982

Did they close the park early for ride nights, or was it just an extra 3 hours afterwords?

I have no idea. It's true that these other events are all happening at times when the respective parks would normally be closed (other than apparently Wind Down being the only open lounges during evening EM at Epcot, from what I read on another thread). I may have jumped to conclusions with my last comment but then again since MK is open until midnight during the summer already, and evening EM is until 2 am while I am there (something I am looking forward to), I just assumed they wouldn't be staying open later than that on a regular basis. I could be wrong, though, if it brings in enough money lol.

Animaniac93-98

I have no idea. It's true that these other events are all happening at times when the respective parks would normally be closed (other than apparently Wind Down being the only open lounges during evening EM at Epcot, from what I read on another thread). I may have jumped to conclusions with my last comment but then again since MK is open until midnight during the summer already, and evening EM is until 2 am while I am there (something I am looking forward to), I just assumed they wouldn't be staying open later than that on a regular basis. I could be wrong, though, if it brings in enough money lol.

As far as I know EMH only happens on select nights of the week. They could always offer an extra hours event on the other nights of the week.

cw1982

As far as I know EMH only happens on select nights of the week. They could always offer an extra hours event on the other nights of the week.

Right. EMH is once a week, but even without EMH MK is open until midnight. That's what made me wonder if an extra hours event would change that. It was pure speculation though.

ETA: at least they are open until midnight during the summer, which is when these events were rumored to be happening.

MarkTwain

I'll just be curious to see what the show turns out to be; that, in the end, will be what makes or breaks the success of this idea. I expect it can't be quite at the scale of FOTLK, but at the same time it had better be more than the four FOTLK leads singing some African folk songs to justify a price like that.

wannab@dis

It's been said flat out, I believe by wdw1974, to expect more hard ticket events (in an effort to help recoup SOME of the cost of MM+.) It's not something just being made up. Whether it's entirely true or not, we don't know of course. It could have been his speculation. But it very well could be true so you can't say it's not, either. Just wanted to point that out in the effort of trying to be fair to everyone.
Anyone could have told you that more hard ticket events would happen. That's been going on for years and have ranged from very successful to being a bust. You can take your pick on everything from the Halloween / Christmas parties to Pirates nights, fireworks viewing, wine tastings, etc. I have no idea whether this event will be a success or not, but it's not a real stretch to assume they will continue to test the markets to see what they can do.

However, it's a huge stretch to try and tie everything they announce to "propping up" MM+. '74 has been trying to rally the troops to hate anything and everything about MM+ since it was announced. He's continually trying to make everyone think it's way over budget, but yet, the executives (who can be prosecuted for lying to investors) have said it's within budget. But, he spurs the echo chamber to keep up the "pay for MM+" mantra in snarky posts everywhere. We get it, they don't like it, but, they're just a vocal minority.

I see posts on facebook all the time about dozens of acquaintances going down to WDW over that past several months. In every instance, except one person, it's been popular and positive reviews. The only negative was someone that had an issue early in the testing with a door lock. Granted, that's not a large segment, but it's a very high percentage. My bet is the percentage of positive reviews FAR outweigh negatives in the general public. But to hear some (usually the same small group) there's nothing good with MM+.

Once MM+ is fully rolled out and they (possibly) start seeing the ROI they want, the same group will rally around something else to complain about the failures of WDW.

Cesar R M

I Don't like the price? Don't go. It's being billed as a premium experience,
Do you really need to get this annoying? People have their opinions regarding what is worth and what its not, not need to bash them..

you will be getting your money worth.
How do you know? have you already done the show dinner thing? o_O

If they do include food, booze, and then more food and booze in the cost of the ticket itself, that would be nice, and I'm sure the show will be very nice, as well as some other offerings, if there are any (still too little to go on so maybe I should have waited to express my thoughts on the pricing), the $119 isn't too bad, that I agree with.

If park admission was included, then it would be a great deal. Why are they making guests pay $90-whatever plus $119? Are rides going to be open? Do you get the park to "yourself"? THAT might be worth it.

We all place value on things differently. That's all I'm really trying to say. I'm not trying to be a pain, LOL.
Well, if you take into consideration the parties at Magic Kingdom.. they will probably be a cost over the other.

I still wonder if it will be working similar to the other dinner shows (like Hop Dee Doo or Spirit of Aloha)

Cesar R M

I'm a premier pass holder and didn't get the email. Possibly a random email?

the could also sent to just certain individuals with very specific characteristics.?

the other cause is.. of course.. that the email was blocked by website spam filters.

Cesar R M

Honestly how many things have been around well before MM to drive more revenue for WDW?

VIP Tour Services AK

Wild African Trek

Wild By Design

Backstage Safari

Backstage Magic

Behind The Seeds

Disney Dolphins In Depth

Epcot Divequest

Epcot Seas Aqua Tour

UnDISCOVERED Future World

VIP Tour Services Epcot

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

Disney Family Magic Tour

Keys To The Kingdom

Magic Behind Our Steam Train

Exocic Driving

NSSHP

MVMCP

Pirate Leauge

VIP Tour MK

Marceline To Magic Kingdom

And who know how many others much less the ones not offered anymore. How are these new event any different? Why the sudden linking to MM when event like this have been around for years and years?
most of these seem to be "see how the magic works behind XXX".
also, arent most of the big tours long tours of more than 3 hours (and some even days?)

BigTxEars

most of these seem to be "see how the magic works behind XXX".
also, arent most of the big tours long tours of more than 3 hours (and some even days?)

They are events that you may choose to go to for extra cost, or not go. They are events that do not effect those who do not go at all. They are all designed to raise extra revenue for WDW. Just like the newer events.

You can debate value of each but not the fact that they were designed to raise revenue and started well before MM came into being.

Kman101

Anyone could have told you that more hard ticket events would happen. That's been going on for years and have ranged from very successful to being a bust. You can take your pick on everything from the Halloween / Christmas parties to Pirates nights, fireworks viewing, wine tastings, etc. I have no idea whether this event will be a success or not, but it's not a real stretch to assume they will continue to test the markets to see what they can do.

However, it's a huge stretch to try and tie everything they announce to "propping up" MM+. '74 has been trying to rally the troops to hate anything and everything about MM+ since it was announced. He's continually trying to make everyone think it's way over budget, but yet, the executives (who can be prosecuted for lying to investors) have said it's within budget. But, he spurs the echo chamber to keep up the "pay for MM+" mantra in snarky posts everywhere. We get it, they don't like it, but, they're just a vocal minority.

I see posts on facebook all the time about dozens of acquaintances going down to WDW over that past several months. In every instance, except one person, it's been popular and positive reviews. The only negative was someone that had an issue early in the testing with a door lock. Granted, that's not a large segment, but it's a very high percentage. My bet is the percentage of positive reviews FAR outweigh negatives in the general public. But to hear some (usually the same small group) there's nothing good with MM+.

Once MM+ is fully rolled out and they (possibly) start seeing the ROI they want, the same group will rally around something else to complain about the failures of WDW.

I have zero problems with the program at this point. I'm also looking forward to using my magic band next week, so please check yourself before you lump everyone together. I also am not one to "rally" for WDW1974 and disagree with a lot of how he says things. But, maybe, just maybe, he does post some truth (in between some phrases I'm not thrilled about).

Don't be so dismissive. I was simply pointing out some things and you still want to go on and on about people whining and complaining. It's not some cult around here like one wants to believe.

And it's not a stretch. Can you prove to me it isn't then? Just like you DON'T know whether this is or not. Stop acting hurt that people don't just looooove everything Disney puts out. It's not some personal attack against you. And reading posts on Facebook isn't "everybody" FYI. Just like these posts here aren't "everybody".

Kman101

They are events that you may choose to go to for extra cost, or not go. They are events that do not effect those who do not go at all. They are all designed to raise extra revenue for WDW. Just like the newer events.

You can debate value of each but not the fact that they were designed to raise revenue and started well before MM came into being.

But you can't debate they AREN'T either. It works both ways.

Why are posters acting offended because some disagree with things Disney does? It's NOT complaining just to complain.

Stop jumping on people if they have a different view.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Most definitely a good chunk of change (as are most things at the World) - but I am interested to hear / see what this is all about. I will save my ranting or raving until I know and have seen more.

Here is hoping this is akin to "kicking the tires" as to what kind of entertainment they can provide after the sun goes down at AK - maybe they're planning on keeping a few rides open? Who knows - I am looking forward to hearing more.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney could have a plan for tiered after hour park offerings with Epcot's new event on the low end and this on the high. I suspect MK (e-ride nights coming back?) and DHS will get things too.

This seems likely. The beauty of these offerings for Disney is they are low cost. E-ride nights meant keeping all the CMs around for overtime. With AK and EPCOT they are keeping a small section open with no rides.

I think the EPCOT events are actually reasonably priced (for WDW). If you add up the independent cost of the same food and booze at the participating restaurants you get pretty close to the $35 they are charging. You might be paying something like $5 to $10 for the privilege of it being a private event after hours.

For this event we need more details to figure out the value. Since we don't have details I'll just speculate. Let's assume the appetizer and drink portion lasts an hour before the show. Plus an hour long show. Plus 2 hours of after party. Let's assume 7 to 11 on days AK closes at 7PM. This probably lasts twice as long as the EPCOT event and includes the show but costs nearly 4 times as much. I have to assume the food and drinks during the after party are free too. It's the only thing that makes sense. So if the food, show and after party entertainment are worth $70 you would need to consume $50 worth of beer or wine to get to $120. If the average cost of a beer at AK is around $7 you need to down 7 to "break even". 7 beers in 4 hours seems doable for most seasoned veteran beer drinkers. For others it will probably lead to piles of puke on the bus ride home:confused:

In conclusion, it could be a good deal if you plan to drink...a whole lot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom