Harambe Nights at Disney's Animal Kingdom this summer

slappy magoo

WDW doesn't advertise the fact--and reserve the right to not do it--but generally people with a party ticket can get in starting around 4 p.m. But you don't need a day ticket to go to the party that night.
Yep. When we went in 2008 it was in December. We only had base tickets, no park hoppers. We did a MVMCP one night, went to the Animal Kingdom in the day, afternoon nap, early dinner, then back to MK, got in without a problem, they didn't even ask to see our regular ticket, just the ticket for the event, because it was after the earliest entry time for the event.

slappy magoo

I wasn't proven wrong about anything. But if it makes someone feel better to do so, that's on them. Sorry some don't like what I have to say. I'll be sure and lose sleep over that tonight ;)

And you proved my point. Disregarding the fact that this is the tendency around here just to happily point out I was "proven wrong". Let's grow up a little bit.
Dude. You wrote "I personally don't see anyone telling others to not go and enjoy this and not to spend the money." Someone else wrote "Let stupid people waste their money on stupid things."
You already conceded the point.
You were wrong.
And as far as I'm concerned it's not a big deal.
I just think it's funny when the person who's wrong says "OK, I was wrong, no big deal." Because that person's opinion, let's face it, is a touch biased.

To quote someone who seemed really easygoing a few minutes ago: "Come on LOL."

71jason

It's been said flat out, I believe by wdw1974, to expect more hard ticket events (in an effort to help recoup SOME of the cost of MM+.) It's not something just being made up. Whether it's entirely true or not, we don't know of course. It could have been his speculation.

Is it to recoup costs of MM+, or is it to increase spending per guest, so TWDC can go to Wall St. and say, "Look, MM+ increased spending per guest just like we predicted." Not being snarky, serious question.

71jason

Hoop-dee-doo and Poly Luau both cost around $70 per adult and include a meal plus beer and wine. They seem to be about in line with this offering. The $50 up-charge over those shows seems excessive. I think if I was closer to $90 it would be much easier to stomach. Maybe when we get more details there will be other things that make up for the extra cost.

Early details don't make clear this is a full meal, rather than apps (because it seems to closely parallel the new EPCOT experiences), and strongly imply it's not unlimited beer/wine. So I don't think they are even "in line" with one another.

71jason

The other thing that isn't clear is what the show is. If it's nothing more than the free show available during the day it's a bad deal. If it's a new, more elaborate show it could be less of a bad deal. La Nouba tickets go for what $60? $70? for the cheap seats. I guess you could assume $70 for the show/party and $50 for food and drink. Still seems a little steep, but it's WDW so not that surprising.

Sorry to pile on you twice, GoofGoof, but having friends that currently and formerly work for Cirque, I think I'm a little offended at your suggestion a show of that caliber could be thrown together in 2 months. Hell, "Celebrate Tonight" at The Area Formerly Known As Pleasure Island took a month, and that was a rush job to keep Burbank from forcing them to re-open the clubs. In other words, expect stilt walkers, not world-class acrobats.

Kman101

Is it to recoup costs of MM+, or is it to increase spending per guest, so TWDC can go to Wall St. and say, "Look, MM+ increased spending per guest just like we predicted." Not being snarky, serious question.

I'm not an insider (obviously, LOL), so I really don't know.

I was just saying that folks saying it wasn't for MM+ doesn't know that it is or isn't to cover those costs.

I'm going to assume it's the latter to be honest.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The spin will be, like all reserved seating dining things, that what you're paying for is the food and not the show. Oh and possibly the exclusivity of seeing FOTLK before it's reopening or possibly with some minor plussings.

Gee whiz. Price point may be just a touch high then. Who is the target demo for this event, I wonder?

MarkTwain

Harambe Theater is the name of the new home of Festival of Lion King (FOTLK.) It's going to be the new/old show, possibly with some minor plussing like having a celebrity narrator ala Candlelight.

...Seriously? Even including the food, who would pay over $100 for that? Just see the show for free during the daytime and stop by the Tusker House buffet afterward, for a fraction of the price. :confused:

Sorry, I'm not against the idea of upcharged or paid events in general, but this just seems silly. Hopefully as more information becomes available, this will amount to something more substantial.

tribbleorlfl

I agree requiring park admission for an after-hours event is pretty ridiculous, though to be honest, I doubt there'd be many people going to this that hadn't gone to the parks that day or weren't PH's. Aside from that, this could be an interesting event and good value provided the show isn't a rehashed FotLK and all food and drink is included in the price. If they're charging that kind of money for a day show on top of park admission and then charging for the food, I suspect this thing is going to die quickly on the vine.

Cesar R M

This seems likely. The beauty of these offerings for Disney is they are low cost. E-ride nights meant keeping all the CMs around for overtime. With AK and EPCOT they are keeping a small section open with no rides.

I think the EPCOT events are actually reasonably priced (for WDW). If you add up the independent cost of the same food and booze at the participating restaurants you get pretty close to the $35 they are charging. You might be paying something like $5 to $10 for the privilege of it being a private event after hours.

For this event we need more details to figure out the value. Since we don't have details I'll just speculate. Let's assume the appetizer and drink portion lasts an hour before the show. Plus an hour long show. Plus 2 hours of after party. Let's assume 7 to 11 on days AK closes at 7PM. This probably lasts twice as long as the EPCOT event and includes the show but costs nearly 4 times as much. I have to assume the food and drinks during the after party are free too. It's the only thing that makes sense. So if the food, show and after party entertainment are worth $70 you would need to consume $50 worth of beer or wine to get to $120. If the average cost of a beer at AK is around $7 you need to down 7 to "break even". 7 beers in 4 hours seems doable for most seasoned veteran beer drinkers. For others it will probably lead to piles of puke on the bus ride home:confused:

In conclusion, it could be a good deal if you plan to drink...a whole lot.
Sir, You really are an expert in explaining in humane therms this tricky "Value" concept ;)

WildcatDen

I wasn't proven wrong about anything. But if it makes someone feel better to do so, that's on them.
Makes me feel better? Really? You were wondering why some of the posts seemed defensive or abrasive or whatever "ive' you would care to use. I pointed out a post where someone basically says anyone doing this is stupid and that may be why some posts seem 'emotional'? Still, this is the written word and smilies will only help convey tone when used effectively:cat::hungry::hungover:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Early details don't make clear this is a full meal, rather than apps (because it seems to closely parallel the new EPCOT experiences), and strongly imply it's not unlimited beer/wine. So I don't think they are even "in line" with one another.
Sorry to pile on you twice, GoofGoof, but having friends that currently and formerly work for Cirque, I think I'm a little offended at your suggestion a show of that caliber could be thrown together in 2 months. Hell, "Celebrate Tonight" at The Area Formerly Known As Pleasure Island took a month, and that was a rush job to keep Burbank from forcing them to re-open the clubs. In other words, expect stilt walkers, not world-class acrobats.
I doubt the show will be on par with a Cirque show, but doesn't it have to be something better than the free daytime show? If not I will predict now that this will fail miserably.

Same goes for the food and beer/wine. The way I read Steve's update is the apps and drinks before the show are included in the price. I'm making an assumption that the after party would have free stuff too. Again, not based on anything other than the price. The EPCOT thing is close to 1/4 the price so if all I get here is drinks and apps before the show and the free show, what am I really getting for the extra $85? I know nobody has an answer since we don't have all the info but they must be offering something more to dictate that price.

GrumpyFan

I like the direction they're trying to head with this, but not the price! That's pretty steep!
But still, I'll watch and see what comes of this. I've thought for a long time they needed a nighttime dinner show at AK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom