Half of theme-park visitors ages 25-49 come without kids

yankspy

The thing is Disney always appealed to little kids. The difference is that they did it in a different way. I have been going there since I was two and I always loved it. I was eight when Epcot Center opened and I loved it. It was not boring at all. My three year old son would have loved it. Like Walt said "Kids will always reach"

Look at some of their best attractions. Pirates, HM, the old SSE. All of these attractions cater to people of all ages. I think that is really what may be missing. I am fine with some character meals and some meet and greets but when we were kids we had a great time eating at the Village restaurant as well. The point was to spend time with the family and have fun together.

rle4lunch

I've been three times as many times as an adult than when I was a child, all without children in-tow. If this demographic of visitors didn't exist, think about how unbearable the parks would be to navigate (i.e. all the freaking strollers!)!! It's already hard enough not to get run into by people bringing newborns into the park in strollers (a waste of money in my opinion, don't bring kids to the park unless they're going to have a lasting memory; ages 5-6 and above is about right. And if people have more than 1 kid, then the family should wait until they're all old enough to be able to appreciate it. They need to dump the babies, 3 and under, with a family member while they go on vacation to Disney).

Then don't forget about all the motorized wheel chairs floating around that people really don't need (just because you're overweight doesn't mean you should be able to ride around in a motorized chariot to IASW so you can go sink the boat!) These people crowd the park and think that you're in THEIR WAY for some reason. It's unbelievable.

Just think if the pecentage of people visiting had more kids with them than what the percentage is now, the parks would be un-navigatable!! Sorry for the morning rant, I just came from DL this past week and I couldn't believe how many rude people with kids and in motorized jazzies were in the parks. It's just awful. If anything, Disney needs to limit stroller capacity in the parks. And if you're not really handicapped (I'm looking at you, morbidly obese people!), get up and walk!!! It'll do you some good and Disney will have to stop modifying their rides to accomodate the extra weight!

cslafferty

As a tall chick with a 6'4" husband, the whole king size bed thing is a real necessity- why should we have to pay more so that his feet don't dangle off the bed?

Just an FYI - a king matress and a queen are both 80" long, unless you get a California King which is 84" and I don't think any of Disney's kings are cali kings. So if I were you I wouldn't pay for an upgrade to king when you get a queen in all of the mod/deluxe standard rooms.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I didn't read the four pages of this but I wanted to just throw it out there than my boyfriend is 25 and I am 24. We aren't married and have no kids and we still go to Disney at least one week out of each year if not two. I enjoy Fantasyland and will be the first person in line for Dumbo when given the chance.

Not all adults with out children are seeking thrill rides for their amusement park experience. There are more than enough of us that don't really care to go to Six Flags, Busch Gardens, Sea World, or Universal for more than the occasional one or two day visit.

I believe each theme park empire fulfills different guest needs. People that want pure thrills can go to Six Flags. People that want moderate theming and thrills can go to Universal. People who want animals and coaster Sea World and Busch Gardens. People who don't really care for thrill rides and love theming and lots of other things besides rides can go to Disney. They all pull different markets and each one is the best at pulling in the people they want.

What???????

baymenxpac

Yeah, that was a weird comment. My family consists of my husband and me and our dog. I don't think that you need kids to have a family.

i don't think it's a weird comment as much as a very telling comment about a prevailing attitude towards us families without kids (who are either that way by choice or just simply haven't gotten around to having them yet).

here's a microcosm of my overall thought: i started a thread about pool games in the resorts section of the forum, basically asking if people found the games that are now played between 1-4:00 at resort pools to be useful or too invasive. my feeling is that, hey...i'm here to relax. i'm not at the parks. i'd like a lounge chair, a drink, and some sun. should i really have to go to another designated pool for that because someone is screaming over a microphone to entertain children? keep in mind, i wasn't saying, "i hate your kids. get them out of my face." most kids are cute. they jump into the pool. so they splash me. whatever, i don't care. they're kids. when parented correctly, they can be even more consciencous of others' needs than a lot of adults.

i basically got my rights read to me by a few parents telling me "disney wasn't a place for a quiet vacation" and that one day i'd look back and thank my lucky stars for the fact that disney cast members are willing to entertain my kids.

sorry, no. that's ridiculous.

leaving my personal feelings on attentive parenting out of this, i come to disney world. i know they'll be kids there, large families, tour groups. whatever. i'm not adverse to any of that. but why do certain people think that just because WDW appeals to families with kids means that i should either take my money elsewhere or deal with their way of life taking priority over mine? i don't ask anyone's kids to drink a beer and read a book with me. why should you ask me to be privy to and tolerate their all-encompassing entertainment?

but the problem is that disney has groomed people to think that way over the last decade and a half. i own this vacation planning VHS from '93. all they could talk about in their marketing was how disney was a place for everyone. there was something for every family member of every age. want to make it all about the parks? go for it! want to have a resort vacation and enjoy our immersively-themed resorts? golf courses? bars? do that, too!

now it's: here's how you and your family of four can save.

i'm not looking for a thrill ride roller coaster spanning every inch of the park. i'm not looking for anyone's kids to be locked up in their rooms out of my sight. all i want is the SOUL that i was given back in the '90s. to learn about the seas without getting it from an animated turtle telling me i'm "so righteously awesome." or to peer into the future and see the limitlessness of man's capability. or sit at a pool themed to be in key west and not have to deal with being asked what aladdin's monkey friend's name was.

is that too much to ask?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
i don't think it's a weird comment as much as a very telling comment about a prevailing attitude towards us families without kids (who are either that way by choice or just simply haven't gotten around to having them yet).

here's a microcosm of my overall thought: i started a thread about pool games in the resorts section of the forum, basically asking if people found the games that are now played between 1-4:00 at resort pools to be useful or too invasive. my feeling is that, hey...i'm here to relax. i'm not at the parks. i'd like a lounge chair, a drink, and some sun. should i really have to go to another designated pool for that because someone is screaming over a microphone to entertain children? keep in mind, i wasn't saying, "i hate your kids. get them out of my face." most kids are cute. they jump into the pool. so they splash me. whatever, i don't care. they're kids. when parented correctly, they can be even more consciencous of others' needs than a lot of adults.

i basically got my rights read to me by a few parents telling me "disney wasn't a place for a quiet vacation" and that one day i'd look back and thank my lucky stars for the fact that disney cast members are willing to entertain my kids.

leaving my personal feelings on attentive parenting out of this, i come to disney world. i know they'll be kids there, large families, tour groups. whatever. i'm not adverse to any of that. but why do certain people think that just because WDW appeals to families with kids means that i should either take my money elsewhere or deal with their way of life taking priority over mine? i don't ask anyone's kids to drink a beer and read a book with me. why should you ask me to be privy to and tolerate their all encompassing entertainment?

but the problem is that disney has groomed people to think that way over the last decade and a half. i own this vacation planning VHS from '93. all they could talk about in their marketing was how disney was a place for everyone. there was something for every family member of every age. what to make it all about the parks? go for it! what to have a resort vacation and enjoy our immersively-themed resorts? golf courses? bars? do that, too!

i'm not looking for a thrill ride roller coaster spanning every inch of the park. i'm not looking for anyone's kids to be locked up in their rooms out of my sight. all i want is the SOUL that i was given back in the '90s. to learn about the seas without getting it from an animated turtle telling me i'm "so righteously awesome." or to peer into the future and see the limitlessness of man's capability. or sit at a pool themed to be in key west and not have to deal with being asked what aladdin's monkey friend's name was.

is that too much to ask?

Not enough to just like this post, had to quote it to get it up here twice. People should read this.

Captain Neo

I think what it is is that kids from the 80s and 90s who grew up on Disney still love going to the parks even though we are older now but don't have children yet.

jmb2676

leaving my personal feelings on attentive parenting out of this, i come to disney world. i know they'll be kids there, large families, tour groups. whatever. i'm not adverse to any of that. but why do certain people think that just because WDW appeals to families with kids means that i should either take my money elsewhere or deal with their way of life taking priority over mine? i don't ask anyone's kids to drink a beer and read a book with me. why should you ask me to be privy to and tolerate their all-encompassing entertainment?

but the problem is that disney has groomed people to think that way over the last decade and a half. i own this vacation planning VHS from '93. all they could talk about in their marketing was how disney was a place for everyone. there was something for every family member of every age. want to make it all about the parks? go for it! want to have a resort vacation and enjoy our immersively-themed resorts? golf courses? bars? do that, too!

is that too much to ask?

Perfect! That's exactly how we feel but I could never word it this well.

Captain Neo

I absolutely agree with you baymenxpac you should even shoot Disney an email about this. And if Disney isn't a place to relax then why did they build golf courses and fort wilderness. Places like grand Floridian and the contemporary weren't built to entertain kids they were geared to an older crowd as was pleasure island. Why does everything have to be dumbed down now?

I've been three times as many times as an adult than when I was a child, all without children in-tow. If this demographic of visitors didn't exist, think about how unbearable the parks would be to navigate (i.e. all the freaking strollers!)!! It's already hard enough not to get run into by people bringing newborns into the park in strollers (a waste of money in my opinion, don't bring kids to the park unless they're going to have a lasting memory; ages 5-6 and above is about right. And if people have more than 1 kid, then the family should wait until they're all old enough to be able to appreciate it. They need to dump the babies, 3 and under, with a family member while they go on vacation to Disney).

Then don't forget about all the motorized wheel chairs floating around that people really don't need (just because you're overweight doesn't mean you should be able to ride around in a motorized chariot to IASW so you can go sink the boat!) These people crowd the park and think that you're in THEIR WAY for some reason. It's unbelievable.

Just think if the pecentage of people visiting had more kids with them than what the percentage is now, the parks would be un-navigatable!! Sorry for the morning rant, I just came from DL this past week and I couldn't believe how many rude people with kids and in motorized jazzies were in the parks. It's just awful. If anything, Disney needs to limit stroller capacity in the parks. And if you're not really handicapped (I'm looking at you, morbidly obese people!), get up and walk!!! It'll do you some good and Disney will have to stop modifying their rides to accomodate the extra weight!

baymenxpac, I completely understand where you're coming from. During our DVC-HHI trip in May, the noise from the pool during their afternoon music/trivia/games really did not provide for a relaxing afternoon. I just don't see a point to the pool party every single day. Twice a week or so, fine, that's manageable, but daily is not even necessary.

Now, the quote above is a different story. Was this a joke?

rle4lunch

baymenxpac, I completely understand where you're coming from. During our DVC-HHI trip in May, the noise from the pool during their afternoon music/trivia/games really did not provide for a relaxing afternoon. I just don't see a point to the pool party every single day. Twice a week or so, fine, that's manageable, but daily is not even necessary.

Now, the quote above is a different story. Was this a joke?

It was my post, and I assure you, while it contains a max amount of sarcasm, it isn't a joke.

wilkeliza

What???????

From what I saw at Universal the theming outside of Wizarding World was pretty moderate. Someone else may say it is well themed but I didn't think both parks as a whole were well themed. Islands of Adventure has some great sections that got you immersed in the land but at Universal I felt like I was at any other theme park. That's just my 2 cents.

As much as I hate being run over by scooters, and the folks who don't fold their strollers until the moment they step onto the bus, families are just part of the Disney experience. As the song goes, everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people . . . when I visit the World with my 14-month-old this fall, I will make sure I move at a fair clip, that I fold my stroller before getting on the bus, and I'll document every moment so that she can appreciate how hard her parents worked to bring her to Disney on a regular basis for her entire life!

yankspy

I can proudly say that I have never run over or dinged anyone in the heel with my stroller. As far as wasting money, It is more about the memories that my Wife and I will have about those trips. We are going in November with my 3 year old son for his fourth trip and my daughter should be around 8-12 weeks old by then (trip was planned before we knew) and my son always enjoys it. I do agree that there is too much geared towards little ones these days though.

is that too much to ask?

The pool thing is strange to me. Since when do kids need extra entertainment at a pool? The pool itself is more than enough for my son. He can entertain himself just fine without loud music and such. There is a way to keep everyone happy.

As far as "Disney entertaining my kids", that is my job. My son is very active and curious so it is my job to encourage that curiosity as well as make sure that he channels that energy while at the same time respecting the rights of others who are also there for a good time. Challenging at times but no one they were easy.

TalkingHead

From what I saw at Universal the theming outside of Wizarding World was pretty moderate. Someone else may say it is well themed but I didn't think both parks as a whole were well themed. Islands of Adventure has some great sections that got you immersed in the land but at Universal I felt like I was at any other theme park. That's just my 2 cents.

You didn't think the New York area at the Studios was themed well?

I'm sorry, but that's not "any other theme park." It's every bit as detailed as Disney.

(Not to mention the highly-detailed rides like Men in Black...)

TalkingHead

is that too much to ask?

I had no idea they did this kind of thing at the resort pools. All I can say is, glad I don't stay at the resorts.

vinnya1726

Oh my, oh my...this one little article created all this. First off I think this article was well put together, but that does not mean we should automatically say that Disney is behind Universal or that Disney is not gearing enough toward that demographic. A good writer, as can a good spin artist (which by the way, their are a few Uni spin artists trolling these boards as Disney fans, if you have not noticed) make statistics prove anything they want it to. I think this article brings up a few realities of the time, families are struggling and cannot afford as many trips to places like WDW, DL, or even Universal for that reason, young adults without children have a greater disposable income, which allows them to travel more. I see this among my friends here in NY, those who have children need to save longer and do not have the money go to Florida, many of them bought their houses during the peak of the housing market and are overpaying for their homes. While that may be the case with couples without children, or single people, they do have more disposable income, therefore they would be an increasing demographic.

Not to say Disney does not need to address this demographic, but they do not need to change who they are. We cannot just turn the Magic Kingdom in six flags, and put roller coasters all over and say goodbye to the family attractions just b\c people want more thrills. I probably over stating this point, but that is what I think some people want Disney to do...meet and greets while they do not appeal to the older set, they do help eat up the crowds. Disney is not stupid, they may make some decisions that are stupid, turning SWSA into a meet and greet is one.

Disney can do more to appeal to this demographic, but Disney does not need to be Universal, not should they ever try and be. Something will be done with pleasure island, we do not know the full story with that...I am sure the lawyers were more responsible for closing it than TDO was. The AVATAR Land project was designed to appeal to those older crowds, the changes in France and Italy to the restaurants were also geared toward older audiences.

baymenxpac

Oh my, oh my...this one little article created all this. First off I think this article was well put together, but that does not mean we should automatically say that Disney is behind Universal or that Disney is not gearing enough toward that demographic. A good writer, as can a good spin artist (which by the way, their are a few Uni spin artists trolling these boards as Disney fans, if you have not noticed) make statistics prove anything they want it to. I think this article brings up a few realities of the time, families are struggling and cannot afford as many trips to places like WDW, DL, or even Universal for that reason, young adults without children have a greater disposable income, which allows them to travel more. I see this among my friends here in NY, those who have children need to save longer and do not have the money go to Florida, many of them bought their houses during the peak of the housing market and are overpaying for their homes. While that may be the case with couples without children, or single people, they do have more disposable income, therefore they would be an increasing demographic.

Not to say Disney does not need to address this demographic, but they do not need to change who they are. We cannot just turn the Magic Kingdom in six flags, and put roller coasters all over and say goodbye to the family attractions just b\c people want more thrills. I probably over stating this point, but that is what I think some people want Disney to do...meet and greets while they do not appeal to the older set, they do help eat up the crowds. Disney is not stupid, they may make some decisions that are stupid, turning SWSA into a meet and greet is one.

Disney can do more to appeal to this demographic, but Disney does not need to be Universal, not should they ever try and be. Something will be done with pleasure island, we do not know the full story with that...I am sure the lawyers were more responsible for closing it than TDO was. The AVATAR Land project was designed to appeal to those older crowds, the changes in France and Italy to the restaurants were also geared toward older audiences.

no one is asking disney to be universal. we're asking disney to be disney. not the watered down product they sell us now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom