Half of theme-park visitors ages 25-49 come without kids

Mouse Detective

And Pleasure Island is definitely a hot spot for adults!
What!?! Closed?!? Nevermind.

There is nothing wrong with catering to families. But a lot of visitors to WDW are groups of single friends, couples that don't have kids, couples with kids and brought them....and have arranged for a sitter, couples with kids that didn't bring them, people attending meetings and conventions on property. All these people have a lot of money in their pockets and want someplace to go at night to spend it. Pleasure Island when it was marketed met that desire and drew people from all over the area too. It's just unbelievable how much money leaves property every night, especially weekend nights, because there is relatively little to do for adults. And as we approach 4 years, Disney doesn't seem to care. And when a company posts record profits, no one higher up cares how much more it could have been.

asianway

Back in the 90s I know they used to do 3 different vacation planning videos targeted to families, young people with no kids, and empty nesters. Do they still?

71jason

Disney knows there is an adult couples/singles market, but what do they do with that info? They reduce evening EMH and charge more a room with a King bed. :rolleyes:

And dumb down many of the nicer restaurants ... and (beating a dead horse I know) close Pleasure Island, as well as shutting down several hotel bars at 10 or 11 (and all by 12) ... and replace anything with an adult edge in the parks (Alien Encounter, Mr. Toad, Future World) with something geared to 5-year-olds ...

WDW1974

Back in the 90s I know they used to do 3 different vacation planning videos targeted to families, young people with no kids, and empty nesters. Do they still?

Probably not.

They'll take anyone's money, but they prefer less discerning familes with 2-4 kids who will often bring the grandparents too or extended families (you've seen the groups with their matching tees!) ... and might be open to buying DVC if they haven't already.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

There is also an old planning video from the late 1980's that you can find on YouTube that was geared towards adults without kids. It highlighted the many activities at the resort beyond the theme parks, which were only briefly mentioned

the.dreamfinder

There is also an old planning video from the late 1980's that you can find on YouTube that was geared towards adults without kids. It highlighted the many activities at the resort beyond the theme parks, which were only briefly mentioned
I believe there was, not sure if there still is, a Birmbaum for couples without kids.

Tom Morrow

I kind of wish the article DID mention Disney. Disney parks are the only ones that have that perceived stigma of "its just for kids!" Nobody ever thinks that about Six Flags, Universal, Cedar Fair, or Busch parks.

Patricia Melton

You know what? I've never thought of Disney as a kiddie park.

My parents took me to the parks when I was young and then my husband and I kept going after we got married and before we had kids. We didn't start taking the kids with us until each of them had turned five. That was my decision because I felt they would not really remember the experience until they were old enough and I didn't want to subject them to the stress of traveling if they weren't going to even remember the trip later on. I know that mindset is not something everyone has but I have never regretted the decision. At the time money was tight and vacations were rare for us, so my mom and dad got to babysit while we went down to Florida until the babies were in kindergarten and old enough to come with us.

We've all gone down together as a family almost every year since. It's hard to work this out but it's our little tradition and I hope my son and daughter keep going at least every once and a while after my husband and I are gone.

My son and some of his friends go on their own little trips down there or to DLR but they make Disney one part of a bigger trip to other places in the area. So he has his own thing. My daughter is more difficult to deal with and is very stubborn like her father. She complains sometimes about "always" having to come down to Disney with us but I know she loves it. She is just a hard shell kind of person who likes to spar with me.

I hope to one day have grandchildren to take down to the parks but I won't do it until they turn five as well. I am just set in my ways and don't see myself ever changing that. More power to families who take toddlers or even babies to the parks and can handle that. But it's not something I could ever do.

mickeysbrother

Going to the park again with my GF. This will be her 2nd time. I am 28 and she is 27. I have a child the age of 7 from a previous relationship. I took my daughter once so far. But in September it will just be me and the gf again. Probably take my daughter in december or january not sure yet. But how i do miss pleasure island. It was something to do at night. There is jelly rolls witch we both love but 7 days a week we would warrant a change. Im actually thinking about picking up a taxi and heading to City walk. Slap my hand i know. Just seems like more adult entertainment over there right now.

alissafalco

There are many debates on here as to why PI closed, but either way, doesn't TDO see the need for it to come back?? Why won't they just bring it back already?

Otamin

There are many debates on here as to why PI closed, but either way, doesn't TDO see the need for it to come back?? Why won't they just bring it back already?
They're probably just going over their options.

I would like to see it return though, now that I'm legal to drink in the US. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom