Half of theme-park visitors ages 25-49 come without kids

JohnLocke

It amazes me that many think adult experiences are just a bar or club. Pleasure Island closed because of poor performance. Most nights the place was full of Cast Members that don't have much money anyways. Disney still offers adult experiences that tend to cost premium prices but they are still there.

That's what I don't understand as much either. PI seemed to be more trouble than it's worth, even though there were a few things I would have liked to have done.

FLE, while it's definitely not the only thing I'd want to happen, seems to be a good thing for all ages, and helps open up the most crowded area of the parks to a little more space. Trying to navigate through all those strollers was ridiculous.

hellowonderland

When I was a CM, PI was filled to the brim with... other cast members. I don't remember seeing many actual guests. And what's said above is true - only F&B cast had any money, the merchies / attractions people were poor so I doubt Disney made enough $$ to dub PI as a must-keep.

I think they should reinvent it though. Perhaps go more the way they have on the DCL - themed bars, with upscale drinks, etc. La Cava is certainly popular, so there is definitely a market for it.

MickeyPeace

I am so happy to see so many people commenting in this thread. For me it's not just PI closing. I never experienced the clubs in PI since I started really coming to WDW frequently in 2008. So I can't miss what I didn't experience. I would like something to do after the parks close however. Sometimes they close as early as 9pm.

What really irks me is the focus on toddlers that is infusing everything. Making the queues into McPlay areas. Dumbing down everything.

This is mainly happening in MK and to some extent Epcot. If Disney continues isolating guests without children, the money in those guests pockets will go somewhere else. And once you lose guests, it's hard to get them back.

Where is the tipping point? Let's see how many more playgrounds go in. Let's see how many more ads will run on tv that you can't identify with. How many more attractions are meet and greets. How many are games aimed at pre-schoolers.

I still snort the pixie dust. I'm still living on the memories. I still enjoy the parks.

I do feel that TDO is attempting to ween me off of the magic. If I'm feeling like this then there are many others.

I spend thousands each year. (I don't want to admit how many) As does a huge demographic going without children. Has TDO done the math? Maybe the toddlerization of WDW will only last as long as current corporate lasts. Rumor is that there is a major shuffle/exodus coming soon.

I'm counting on that and a return to Walt's vision. Which I will repeat, is not just for children. That's what Legoland is for.

jmb2676

I am so happy to see so many people commenting in this thread. For me it's not just PI closing. I never experienced the clubs in PI since I started really coming to WDW frequently in 2008. So I can't miss what I didn't experience. I would like something to do after the parks close however. Sometimes they close as early as 9pm.

What really irks me is the focus on toddlers that is infusing everything. Making the queues into McPlay areas. Dumbing down everything.

This is mainly happening in MK and to some extent Epcot. If Disney continues isolating guests without children, the money in those guests pockets will go somewhere else. And once you lose guests, it's hard to get them back.

Where is the tipping point? Let's see how many more playgrounds go in. Let's see how many more ads will run on tv that you can't identify with. How many more attractions are meet and greets. How many are games aimed at pre-schoolers.

I still snort the pixie dust. I'm still living on the memories. I still enjoy the parks.

I do feel that TDO is attempting to ween me off of the magic. If I'm feeling like this then there are many others.

I spend thousands each year. (I don't want to admit how many) As does a huge demographic going without children. Has TDO done the math? Maybe the toddlerization of WDW will only last as long as current corporate lasts. Rumor is that there is a major shuffle/exodus coming soon.

I'm counting on that and a return to Walt's vision. Which I will repeat, is not just for children. That's what Legoland is for.

Getting close to the tipping point for us. Going on a trip in October with family that has been planned for a while. Looking forward to escaping to Universal for 2 days. After that I think it will be a while before we had back to Florida.

love disney

That statistic is courtesy of this Wall Street Journal story. It is all about how theme parks are changing their approach to start wooing adults without children. Universal is mentioned throughout the piece. The word "Disney" does not appear.

I just thought this played into a lot of what you folks often discuss around here. It's another example of Universal setting the agenda and Disney once again being behind the times.

I don't see this as an "example of Universal setting the agenda and Disney once again being behind the times." The article refers to amusement parks in general, which would include local amusement parks, Busch Gardens, Six Flags, etc., not specifically theme parks. One could argue that the article suggests Universal is becoming more "amusement park" oriented and less "theme park" oriented. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing Universal here or claiming that Disney doesn't need to make some improvements and possibly increase its target demographic. There are lots of things I like about both parks, and my wife and I frequent both WDW and Uni. and fall in the demographic of adults without children.

Long story short, I just don't think it is a valid argument to suggest that the articles statistics (and we all know statistics can be used to show whatever you want) show that "Universal (is) setting the agenda and Disney once again being behind the times."

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
That's what I don't understand as much either. PI seemed to be more trouble than it's worth, even though there were a few things I would have liked to have done.

FLE, while it's definitely not the only thing I'd want to happen, seems to be a good thing for all ages, and helps open up the most crowded area of the parks to a little more space. Trying to navigate through all those strollers was ridiculous.
http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/07/17/pleasure-island-dispelling-the-myths/
is all I have to say

jensenrick

It amazes me that many think adult experiences are just a bar or club. Pleasure Island closed because of poor performance. Most nights the place was full of Cast Members that don't have much money anyways. Disney still offers adult experiences that tend to cost premium prices but they are still there.

Which experiences, for instance? Are you talking about Victoria & Albert's? Jellyrolls? Is that all?

MickeyPeace

Getting close to the tipping point for us. Going on a trip in October with family that has been planned for a while. Looking forward to escaping to Universal for 2 days. After that I think it will be a while before we had back to Florida.

I actually cancelled a trip that was paid for (air fare and one night deposit at Port Orleans) for One More Disney Day week. That would have been unthinkable for me as recently as last year. I decided to put the money toward other things.

I did go back the last week of May 2012. It was the worst Disney trip. (Mainly because I got very sick).

I'm not sure yet if I'm losing that loving feeling, if I need to visit a Disney park somewhere else or if the McChanges TDO are implementing will cure me of my Disney obsession.

Time will tell. And the clock is ticking.

AEfx

There are many debates on here as to why PI closed, but either way, doesn't TDO see the need for it to come back?? Why won't they just bring it back already?

Because for the most part it wasn't what people were really looking for.

Bars/clubs like that cater to singles who are looking to mingle - which isn't exactly what the demographic being discussed is. Although there are some (I've been one of them), it's more couples and groups of friends that come to WDW, and they aren't often looking for those types of things, either.

The biggest problem is how darn early the parks close, IMO. There is plenty to see and do there, but when some close at 7PM - in some of the very months that couples and groups of friends tend to go (i.e. when the kiddos are in school) - and that's the reason you pick WDW is to go to the parks - it can't help.

wilkeliza

I didn't read the four pages of this but I wanted to just throw it out there than my boyfriend is 25 and I am 24. We aren't married and have no kids and we still go to Disney at least one week out of each year if not two. I enjoy Fantasyland and will be the first person in line for Dumbo when given the chance.

Not all adults with out children are seeking thrill rides for their amusement park experience. There are more than enough of us that don't really care to go to Six Flags, Busch Gardens, Sea World, or Universal for more than the occasional one or two day visit.

I believe each theme park empire fulfills different guest needs. People that want pure thrills can go to Six Flags. People that want moderate theming and thrills can go to Universal. People who want animals and coaster Sea World and Busch Gardens. People who don't really care for thrill rides and love theming and lots of other things besides rides can go to Disney. They all pull different markets and each one is the best at pulling in the people they want.

AEfx

I actually cancelled a trip that was paid for (air fare and one night deposit at Port Orleans) for One More Disney Day week. That would have been unthinkable for me as recently as last year. I decided to put the money toward other things.

I did go back the last week of May 2012. It was the worst Disney trip. (Mainly because I got very sick).

I'm not sure yet if I'm losing that loving feeling, if I need to visit a Disney park somewhere else or if the McChanges TDO are implementing will cure me of my Disney obsession.

Time will tell. And the clock is ticking.

Same boat. I had an AP through most of the 00's, and the one I had last year expired and I barely got the value (2-trips, both short, just broke even) when I used to spend more than 30 days a year in a park one way or another - and I live more than 1,000 miles away).

It's not so much that I have lost interest in the parks, it's that the value keeps decreasing so much, and so very little is added/changed/exciting. I do enjoy being there so much, but it's gotten so expensive that I long for the days when I could take a three-four day trip for $500 on an existing AP. I mean, I walk through Epcot and it is often hard to tell it from 2006. And that's just Future World East - some areas of the park feel like it's still 1988 (except for the prices, which I never have complained about - but I sure as heck have noticed the last few visits).

And that's just Epcot...

I'm planning on going in January to see what will be open of New Fantasyland, but the glacial pace of additions (I still cannot believe it will take another two years for the Mine Coaster), and the minimizing of what made it feel fun and unique, is why I'm just not so interested in going anymore. I too was so excited about the "extra disney day" thing I was all primed to go down - and then I looked at the price of the visit, and it just wasn't worth enough, even with the AP I already had. And basically, since I find actual ticket prices so astronomical, I tend not to even consider going down without an AP, but now that I'm going so much less - well, it all adds up and without an AP a 4-5 day trip runs way more than I feel is worth it for going on the same rides doing the same stuff each time.

tirian

When I was a CM, PI was filled to the brim with... other cast members. I don't remember seeing many actual guests. And what's said above is true - only F&B cast had any money, the merchies / attractions people were poor so I doubt Disney made enough $$ to dub PI as a must-keep.

I think they should reinvent it though. Perhaps go more the way they have on the DCL - themed bars, with upscale drinks, etc. La Cava is certainly popular, so there is definitely a market for it.
I've been saying this for years and keep getting shouted down. Yeah, back in the 90s, PI was successful, but by 2003 it was nothing but a CM hangout spot.

Nevertheless, ElecTRONica and the Mad T Party in DCA have proven adults do want to have nighttime fun in Disney, although those events aren't the same as supporting an entire infrastructure of multiple clubs and bars. Maybe we'll see one or two dance clubs added to whatever new version of PI the execs crap out. We'll never see another full-scale PI. That era is gone.

One thing is certain: nothing is more depressing than walking through the current PI and watching four-year-old girls spin around in front the band stage. Please, Disney, make the new adult nighttime options 18 and up.

AEfx

Nevertheless, ElecTRONica and the Mad T Party in DCA have proven adults do want to have nighttime fun in Disney, although those events aren't the same as supporting an entire infrastructure of multiple clubs and bars. Maybe we'll see one or two dance clubs added to whatever new version of PI the execs crap out. We'll never see another full-scale PI. That era is gone.

I think the key to their success was - they were at/in parks.

You didn't have to take a bus to an outdoor mall in a sea of a parking lot.

The people that go to Disney go to Disney because it's Disney - and Pleasure Island largely had very little "Disney" in it.

koryadams

That statistic is courtesy of this Wall Street Journal story. It is all about how theme parks are changing their approach to start wooing adults without children. Universal is mentioned throughout the piece. The word "Disney" does not appear.

I just thought this played into a lot of what you folks often discuss around here. It's another example of Universal setting the agenda and Disney once again being behind the times.

Half?! Holy cow what happened to Family time? And what do you mean by Disney being behind the times? If I ever go to Disney without my family, it will feel so weird!

alissafalco

Because for the most part it wasn't what people were really looking for.

Bars/clubs like that cater to singles who are looking to mingle - which isn't exactly what the demographic being discussed is. Although there are some (I've been one of them), it's more couples and groups of friends that come to WDW, and they aren't often looking for those types of things, either.

The biggest problem is how darn early the parks close, IMO. There is plenty to see and do there, but when some close at 7PM - in some of the very months that couples and groups of friends tend to go (i.e. when the kiddos are in school) - and that's the reason you pick WDW is to go to the parks - it can't help.

Ok, well if it wasnt doing well then that's understandable. I just dont understand why its still remainded empty? Couldn't they have left open at least 1 place to go for hanging out? It seems from these threads that people are devastated about the Adventurers Club.

Vader2112

I think a good part that plays into this statistic is that most couples and people wait until later in life to have kids these days.

Sloan

I've been a regular visitor for many, many years now - no kids, no plan for kids - all adult visits. I've done the Food & Wine Festival for 7 years in a row, but have made visits at other times of the year too, and have found plenty to keep my interest.

I'll admit that with the 'declining by degrees' that I've seen / felt (coupled with the increasing prices), in the past 8 years I've gone from 5 - 7 visits per year to 1 or 2 ....

DarthGrady

Definitely describes my wife and I. We are both in our late 20's, and don't have kids (nor do we ever want them). But we LOVE going to theme parks, especially to drink around the world. :D

It's ironic that Disney has (or maybe I should say had) an excellent adult-oriented theme park in EPCOT Center, yet they have been going to great lengths to make it more kid-friendly. The fact that Pleasure Island is gone is beyond ironic, it's just plain sad. How can Disney get some things so right and other so very, VERY wrong?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom