Half of theme-park visitors ages 25-49 come without kids

wiigirl

Going without my children is an option? lol not in my house. lol

Ughh....I know. I usually try to coax a relative into coming with so I can dump the kids with them for a day. :p

75.gif

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I DO think that there's a huge difference between if this report was about "theme parks" or "amusement parks".

As someone noted, they don't make a distinction, and honestly the lines are so blurred these days, its difficult to do that.

rodserling27

I don't think I ever want to go to WDW with kids, even when I have them! :D Too much fun without them! Haha, I'm kidding. Not a surprising statistic, but I'll echo the sentiment that nothing should be "dumbed down" at WDW. Should their be things for JUST children? Sure, a few! Just as there are some things JUST for people who aren't children. But by all means, don't take the vast majority of things, which are intended for a widespread audience, and dumb them down! (I'm looking at YOU, Spaceship Earth narration!!!!)

ParentsOf4

Walt Disney said he wanted a place where both parents and children alike could enjoy the attractions together as a family. I believe that was his "idea" when "it all started with a mouse.":D
When Walt was seeking financing for DL, his original pitch included:
The idea of Disneyland is a simple one. It will be a place for people to find happiness and knowledge.

It will be a place for parents and children to share pleasant times in one another's company: a place for teachers and pupils to discover greater ways of understanding and education. Here the older generation can recapture the nostalgia of days gone by, and the younger generation can savior the challenge of the future. Here will be the wonders of Nature and Man for all to see and understand.

ParentsOf4

I don't think I ever want to go to WDW with kids, even when I have them! :D Too much fun without them! Haha, I'm kidding. Not a surprising statistic, but I'll echo the sentiment that nothing should be "dumbed down" at WDW. Should their be things for JUST children? Sure, a few! Just as there are some things JUST for people who aren't children. But by all means, don't take the vast majority of things, which are intended for a widespread audience, and dumb them down! (I'm looking at YOU, Spaceship Earth narration!!!!)
There is no better feeling than seeing your 3, 4, or 5 year-old take in WDW for the first time, truly experencing it with the eyes of a child.

ParentsOf4

We don't have kids, and don't plan on having kids, yet we still spend time and money at the resorts on both coasts multiple times a year. That shouldn't be a strange concept to Disney...but somehow they continue to ignore our demographic.
I don't think they ignore it. I certainly went many times as a young adult with my brother & friends and later as a couple with my DW; we never felt ignored and Disney always offered us plenty to do. Even today there are many "premium" experiences that I would never take children to and many (most?) of the attractions are designed to appeal to all ages. However, Disney knows that it's bread-and-butter market is families with young children.

wolf359

I don't think they ignore it. I certainly went many times as a young adult with my brother & friends and later as a couple with my DW; we never felt ignored and Disney always offered us plenty to do. Even today there are many "premium" experiences that I would never take children to and many (most?) of the attractions are designed to appeal to all ages. However, Disney knows that it's bread-and-butter market is families with young children.

Yeah, I don't see them ignoring the "no children" demo either. Perhaps their television ads seem to pinpoint families, but I've never been left wanting when I'm actually there, in fact just the opposite; there are still plenty of things that Walt Disney World offers that I've still not gotten around to, even after a dozen visits.

It seems like some have an "all or nothing" attitude, where anything that doesn't openly cater to their exact wants or expectations is automatically seen as some kind of snub or gets completely ignored.

In reality, I think Disney must actually attract people both with and without children pretty well, considering how well attended their parks are.

cheezbat

I'm an almost 29 year old guy and every time I visit any park, it's with people ages ranging from 19-62. NEVER kids. I know I'm not the only one....and yes I spend money. Heck, between my two friends and I today we blew around $300-$400 at Disneyland. Just in ONE day. Disney needs to keep us non children in their minds too. They shouldn't alienate that audience.

Poofiesdream

My husband is 60, I'm 59 and we go to Disney a couple of times a year without children or grandchildren. When we go with them we plan everything around what they would enjoy, but when we go alone we can do whatever we want. Rides, people watching, pool, or tours. Its a much more relaxing trip by ourselves. Really, really enjoy those trips just the two of us!

DCLcruiser

I'm 27, unmarried and will be at WDW in a few days. I miss having Pleasure Island for my gf and I to go to after a day in the parks. Atlantic Dance Hall at the boardwalk is nice but not the same atmosphere as PI and a lot harder to get to from another resort.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

Their marketing is done almost exclusively to the Stroller Brigade. All of the current promotions center around the savings that a "family of 4" could attain. Things like late night EMH, something the Stroller Brigade never participated in, are slowly eroding. The 9:30 Hoop Dee Doo is another example of something that was enjoyed primarily by the grown ups and that's going away, too. Attractions are being replaced by Meet and Greets, because golly,that's what the Stroller Brigade wants. And then of course there's Pleasure Island's closure. Gotta make sure everyone is tucked into bed at the resort by midnight!

Da Man

My wife and I both have a unique take on this one.

Without going in to exhaustive details, this year I was terminated at my place of employment after having served with distinction for 18 years. My record showed nothing but strong performance, accoloades from my superiors, and nothing negative. There was a liability situation, and the company brass decided to 'limit liability' by dropping the entire mess into my lap. My reputation was dragged through the mud and I was unable to gain employment in my chosen field for many months due to the company's intentional mishandling of my exit to give the distrint appearance of fault on my end. While the ordeal is slowly unraveling for them now, our lives have been a nightmare. I have had severe emotional problems over the whole ordeal, and it has slowly worn the entire family down.

Things are slowly getting better every day. But for my wife and myself, irregardless as to my sons feelings, the one happy point in our lives is WDW. It's a place where bad times don't exist. Where, upon entering on the magic express, problems are unloaded and forgotten about for a week. Financial issues, rumors, and embarrassing job interviews have no power over our mental state.

In short, it's one place we go where we are truly happy and the outside world don't hold sway over us. Reality within the confines of the property is what we and WDW make it. Sitting at 6:30 in the morning with a cup of coffee and my thoughts at the geyser behind Wilderness Lodge watching the sun rise is almost meditation. Always being smiled at and greeted warmly everywhere we go is reassuring. Knowing that a hug from Goofy makes me feel the same at 37 that it did at 7 makes me smile.

Sorry if this is long and sappy. But the truth is, while a Mexican resort vacation is relaxing and nice, or a trip to the Keys is refreshing, you never truly escape meal bills, transportation, finding entertainment, etc. With Disney, all of these small stresses get left behind. Relaxing with alcohol, hiding emotions with pharmaceuticals, or simply trying to quell thoughts of uneasiness are easily whipped away with one ride on the jungle cruise, a trip through a pirate's cave or the sight of a 7 foot tall mouse you loved as a child.

One other thought before I hit post-this age demographic is probably the first generation that grew up with happy thoughts of the park. Some people are simply looking for the same inner happiness and peace they experienced 30 to 40 years ago. I know every time I see a monorail glide smoothly in to a station, I still get that little buzz of excitement I got as a 5 year old in 1979. Still there, and no one can take that from me, no matter how hard they try.

ParentsOf4

Their marketing is done almost exclusively to the Stroller Brigade. All of the current promotions center around the savings that a "family of 4" could attain. Things like late night EMH, something the Stroller Brigade never participated in, are slowly eroding. The 9:30 Hoop Dee Doo is another example of something that was enjoyed primarily by the grown ups and that's going away, too. Attractions are being replaced by Meet and Greets, because golly,that's what the Stroller Brigade wants. And then of course there's Pleasure Island's closure. Gotta make sure everyone is tucked into bed at the resort by midnight!
I agree. Their marketing and sales are focused on families with children. But that didn't stop me (and I assume it hasn't stopped you) from having a great time at WDW on "adult only" trips. And I still get the same "room only" discount or "Free Dining" whether I book as an adult or as a family.

WDW still offers many premium experiences for adults only. They'll continue to offer most things if they turn a good profit. (OK, no gambling and no alcohol at MK.) I agree that closure of Pleasure Island was a disappointment. However, I believe this was primarily due to poorly performing financials, not to "make sure everyone is tucked into bed at the resort by midnight". If PI had been doing well financially, I suspect we would have had a second one by now!

EMH was cut due to financial reasons. It was not targeted at a specific demographic. Adults shouldn't feel picked on any more than any other group. WDW management is basing its decisions mostly on how to turn the biggest profit, not because it is trying to scare away any group of potential customers.

WDWNooby

@Da Man,

First, I'm sorry for the troubles you've had to go through. Next, what an eloquent post. Your last three paragraphs really it home with me. When we went in 2009, I would wander out of the Poly and walk the grounds while everyone else was still asleep. I enjoyed coffee, wildlife, etc. What an incredibly relaxing time for me.

I grew up in CA so my fond memories were of DL until we went to WDW. As soon as we hit the DME I felt like a kid again. When we drove through the Magic Kingdom gate it brought back all of my memories as a child (I'm 54 now). I felt all of the stress of the world leave.

This coming trip will be just my adult son and me. We've also had a very stressful couple of years so this trip will not only be a celebration for him but a very much needed no stress, give me a Mickey hug kind of trip.

Our next trip in 2014 will be a family trip...DGD who will then be a teenager, DD, DS and myself so it will be completely family oriented.

I agree that most of their advertising is for families but who cares. As adults, my son and I have found MUCH to do on our upcoming trip that is "adult" oriented but still allowing us to be young and free at the same time. For me personally, when I see the advertisements that are geared towards families, it makes me look even harder at the possibilities of planning a trip. It makes me remember what wonderful places WDW and DL truly are.

Marge10369

My husband and I are fall in to the over 49 entering the ..... never mind ....just older than 49..Have been going to Disney World and Universal for years...first with kids...now with adult kids or alone...and we still do it the same way...A couple of days at Universal/Islands of Adventures...enjoying the rides...a week or more at the World..enjoying all 4 parks...dining...golfing...lounging....in general relaxing.

wdwfan22

It amazes me that many think adult experiences are just a bar or club. Pleasure Island closed because of poor performance. Most nights the place was full of Cast Members that don't have much money anyways. Disney still offers adult experiences that tend to cost premium prices but they are still there.

Hulacat

Disney knows there is an adult couples/singles market, but what do they do with that info? They reduce evening EMH and charge more a room with a King bed. :rolleyes:
As a tall chick with a 6'4" husband, the whole king size bed thing is a real necessity- why should we have to pay more so that his feet don't dangle off the bed?

Hulacat

We don't have kids, and don't plan on having kids, yet we still spend time and money at the resorts on both coasts multiple times a year. That shouldn't be a strange concept to Disney...but somehow they continue to ignore our demographic.
AMEN!!! And how about taking our demographic into account by implementing a new WDW restaurant policy of NOT sitting child free couples next to two tables full of screaming/full meltdown kids? (especially frustraing since last trip all my ADR's and hotel ressies said "honeymoon". Sigghhhhh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom