Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

HonorableMention

For being Disney's first big Marvel funny book attraction...or...wait, isn't there an Iron Man ride too? Well, how do they stack up against Spider-Man at IOA??
I think Spider-Man is the better attraction overall. Mission Breakout's queue and preshow are far better, but Spider-Man innovated a lot for its time and I think it's the overall better ride-experience. It's one of my favorite rides ever.

Guardians is way funnier though!

George Lucas on a Bench

Some day, when there's no classic Haunted Mansion, I'll have to decide that for myself. I think Spider-Man has an awesome queue (I always thought it was great how it looks like an old comic book, colors and textures etc.) and obviously loads of humor courtesy of JJ Jameson.

GiveMeTheMusic

Some day, when there's no classic Haunted Mansion, I'll have to decide that for myself. I think Spider-Man has an awesome queue (I always thought it was great how it looks like an old comic book, colors and textures etc.) and obviously loads of humor courtesy of JJ Jameson.

Neither Disney Marvel attraction compares to spidey, which is one of the best rides in the world. Iron Man is a good update to the Star Tours simulator system, and Guardians is a clever repurposing of TOT. Neither is groundbreaking like Spidey was.

Professortango1

Then Space Mountain is a simulator too then. Because being in the dark not knowing where the turns are "simulates" going faster than you really are.

For that matter every attraction at a Disney Park is a simulator. Because they are "simulating" experiences that we can't in the real world. So lets keep stretching the word simulator.

A simulator is when the ride vehicle sits on top of a ride platform which moves the vehicle in a way to simulate movement that the ride plaform is not undergoing.

This can be a voyage through space on Star Tours, rough terrain in Indy, and falling faster than gravity in Mission BO.

Sometimes simulators tale you through physical sets like Indy, sometimes they take you through screen based scenes like Star Tours and Mission BO.

Space Mountain isn't a simulator as the ride vehicle isn't on a ride platform not is the movement enhanced by simulators. Instead, your movement is based purely on the movement of the ride vehicle along the track.

TP2000

Original Poster
After watching these Mission: BREAKOUT! videos on YouTube, I just got a bunch of recommended videos for another new ride in Southern California. What? Disneyland isn't the only park with a big new ride this summer?!?

Apparently, Sea World has just opened a new "family dark ride" in submarines. Except it's outdoors. With onboard SCREENZ that you are supposed to tap but that actually do nothing. And it's all very weird. And rather pointless, and seems very boring even for young kids. And it looks just dumb. It's called Submarine Quest and it officially opened last week. Who knew?!? :confused:

According to all the videos, Sea World has been working on this for years and it's part of their big push into a post-Shamu era for them. Shamu is probably as confused with this ride as everyone else.

This tells me that the only real competition for Disneyland Resort in the late 2010's into the 2020's is going to come from Universal Studios, with whatever other Potter thing they cram into what's left of their available property. And this also makes Mission: BREAKOUT! look even more impressive when it comes to storytelling and relevance and just plain fun.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Meanwhile, up the freeway in Anaheim, it's Grad Nite season and a few hundred thousand teenagers are descending on Disneyland and DCA this month to celebrate their graduation. Here's a blog by an average American teenage guy, and just skip to the 3:55 mark for his thoughts and a 10 second review from him and his friends on Mission: BREAKOUT!. Obviously, they loved it.

NobodyElse

After watching these Mission: BREAKOUT! videos on YouTube, I just got a bunch of recommended videos for another new ride in Southern California. What? Disneyland isn't the only park with a big new ride this summer?!?

Apparently, Sea World has just opened a new "family dark ride" in submarines. Except it's outdoors. With onboard SCREENZ that you are supposed to tap but that actually do nothing. And it's all very weird. And rather pointless, and seems very boring even for young kids. And it looks just dumb. It's called Submarine Quest and it officially opened last week. Who knew?!? :confused:

According to all the videos, Sea World has been working on this for years and it's part of their big push into a post-Shamu era for them. Shamu is probably as confused with this ride as everyone else.

This tells me that the only real competition for Disneyland Resort in the late 2010's into the 2020's is going to come from Universal Studios, with whatever other Potter thing they cram into what's left of their available property. And this also makes Mission: BREAKOUT! look even more impressive when it comes to storytelling and relevance and just plain fun.

Explorers! Tap your "suspension of disbelief" button NOW!

;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Congratulations, Sea World! You were dared to make a ride more boring than Antarctica, and you did it!!! WOOOO!!!

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
It's not that bad. A kiddie ride with a few added bells and whistles.
(note: there are no actual bells and whistles -- could use some?)

What this really needs however is Bubbles! I think they missed the mark by not including a door with porthole lookouts (maybe designed as a semi-transparent video screen window containing digital bubbles) But really anything would help. some cheap battery operated party store Bubble machines attached to the vehicles "propeller". Does this thing have a propeller? It's also missing a periscope. Wow! Nevermind this thing is terrible.

Last edited:

brb1006

Stevek

An outdoor submarine ride where you are supposed to be under water? WTAF? This would have been much better inside an enclosed environment...but it still would have sucked.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
re: GotG M:B

Having now seen every video currently on Youtube; I can say without a doubt that the attraction's script is the worst part of this ride. Not the "story" of the ride but the actual script. (I can look past the screens, they're unavoidable)

My beef, I guess, is that the cast members are not being given a functional, fun, themed spiel as riders board or exit the gantry lift. I also cringe at the phony and woefully-acted dialog from the stars of the movie, it just irks me. Some of it is even out of character. I don't think it's their fault however, just again an issue where the script wasn't fully-fleshed out. Maybe I'm just being overly-nitpicky but even the pre-boarding room scene with the Rocket AA suffers from a incomplete show script. The pacing is weird near the end. The spoken dialog seems to end rather abruptly instead of being wrapped up to a solid conclusion. Anyone else think this?

Curious Constance

Holy hell that was terrible.

I'll never criticize Nemo's subs again.

The worst part is when they'd slow you down to "explore" something.

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

For all the grief we give Disney, when you compare them to other theme park operators out there, things like this shows how ahead of the game Disney is. Even a Disney miss is usually missing one or two aspects that didn't quite hit. Sea World pretty much missed everything with this.

In terms of themed entertainment design very few can approach Disney and no one does as consistently as they do. Universal is as close as there is. I would say Efteling is the next closest that I've seen, but they do not have near the budget that Disney or Universal does.

dweezil78

Wait... what!? I watched that and and first I was like... ok, well cool.... Sea World has their own Rocket Rods / Journey to the Center of the Earth type ride. This could be cool. And then it was just a slow moving car on an outdoor track with a cheap tablet game for people to play while it did nothing and went back to the station!? Amazing! I'd love to know what was originally intended here, this is just crazy bad/embarrassing. It's not even an chill outdoor tour type thing that at least kills time and loads fast. It serves no purpose whatsoever!

Edit -- Ha! The top comment on YT pretty much said the same thing. Funny...

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
A simulator is when the ride vehicle sits on top of a ride platform which moves the vehicle in a way to simulate movement that the ride plaform is not undergoing.

This can be a voyage through space on Star Tours, rough terrain in Indy, and falling faster than gravity in Mission BO.

Sometimes simulators tale you through physical sets like Indy, sometimes they take you through screen based scenes like Star Tours and Mission BO.

Space Mountain isn't a simulator as the ride vehicle isn't on a ride platform not is the movement enhanced by simulators. Instead, your movement is based purely on the movement of the ride vehicle along the track.

Thank you. It's really not that hard to understand. If it's on a type of motion base and it moves in sync with a video it can be considered a simulator. So what? By the over the top reactions of some you would think the term "simulator" was a kind of racial slur against Disney rides.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Wait... what!? I watched that and and first I was like... ok, well cool.... Sea World has their own Rocket Rods / Journey to the Center of the Earth type ride. This could be cool. And then it was just a slow moving car on an outdoor track with a cheap tablet game for people to play while it did nothing and went back to the station!? Amazing! I'd love to know what was originally intended here, this is just crazy bad/embarrassing. It's not even an chill outdoor tour type thing that at least kills time and loads fast. It serves no purpose whatsoever!

Edit -- Ha! The top comment on YT pretty much said the same thing. Funny...

Yeah. It's just really, really bad. I'm so embarrassed for Sea World right now, and I kind of fear for their future at this point.

The compare/contrast in visitor reaction to this Sea World ride versus the visitor reaction to Mission: BREAKOUT! is stunning.

I would pay money to be in the executive conference room at Sea World headquarters the Monday after this thing opened. Are they proud of this? Do they even know? Absolutely bizarre.

EDIT: Apparently they were excited about this ride, at least four months ago. It was built by Chance Rides, based in Kansas. Never heard of them, but I'm sure they are for real. And the official Sea World bloggers from their corporate channel seemed to have high hopes for this ride four months ago. Also, apparently Parisian scarves faux-casually draped around your neck are part of Sea World's office dress code.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom