Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

NobodyElse

Lol, I just went to the link above and I couldn't stop laughing with how they describe the ride.

"Dive into a deep-sea adventure in this immersive new realm.

Explore the wonders of the seven seas in this thrilling sea base station. Discover undersea aquariums with rarely seen animals. Embark on adventurous rides. And use exciting digital technology to encounter the sea and sea life like never before."

Really they call it immersive, thrilling, adventurous with exciting digital technology

And also note: They're so proud of those other four rides that they didn't even bother to post any actual photos. Always a sign of confidence.

TP2000

Original Poster
Lol, I just went to the link above and I couldn't stop laughing with how they describe the ride.

Explore the wonders of the seven seas in this thrilling sea base station. Discover undersea aquariums with rarely seen animals. Embark on adventurous rides. And use exciting digital technology to encounter the sea and sea life like never before."

Really they call it immersive, thrilling, adventurous with exciting digital technology

Words are fun to use! And 21st century Marketing and Communications Majors can use words like no other generation before them. George Orwell's Newspeak has nothing on a 2010's corporate blogger and cubicle dweller. And once they get a Masters Degree in Business Administration, there's no limit to how many words they can use to describe a really stupid them park ride.

Who cares about all that student debt they racked up?!? It's IMMERSIVE and DIGITAL!!! :rolleyes:

Curious Constance

The digital technology looks to be about as exciting as using a debit card machine to pay for your groceries.

No Name

The whales real names? There was Shamu, and Kandu, Baby Shamu, and other vaguely Salish Indian sounding names for decades. So... what is the whale's real name? Charles? Or just Chuck to his friends?

I remember the 1970's at Sea World remarkably well. There was one summer where the show's theme was "Shamu Goes To College!" and at the end Shamu graduated and he balanced this mortorboard cap on his head. Seriously.

I had an aunt who lived in La Jolla, and during the summer of 1978 she got a Season Pass and went to Sea World nearly every day trying to be the lady they picked out of the audience to lean over the tank and get kissed by Shamu. She finally got chosen in the middle of August, probably because they were sick of seeing her. She's very elderly and lives on Coronado now and still has the Polaroid photo they took.

If Sea World can't even call the big whale Shamu anymore, and is pumping out stuff like this Sumbarine Quest ride as the solution, I'm afraid Sea World's days are numbered. I just can't believe they actually spent a chunk of money on that.

You probably know this, but none of the whales are actually named Shamu. Shamu died in 1971. The whales have real human-given names that the trainers use backstage, just like you and I have real names. Copied from Wikipedia, here they are: Corky (F), Kasatka (F), Ulises (M), Orkid (F), Keet (M), Shouka (F), Nakai (M), Ikaika (M), Kalia (F), Makani (M) and Amaya (F).

Shamu, and the side stars like Kandu, etc. were simply stage names, much like actors have different names in movies and circus performers have different names in the circus. But this new show is different, it's a "live documentary" as they call it. I think when or if you see it, you'll understand. It simply wouldn't make sense for the whales to use stage names.

In related Marvel news, there's also a DC Comics dark ride opening at Six Flags Magic Mountain this summer. It didn't open over Memorial Day Weekend, so not sure of the opening date. But it will be Magic Mountain's first real dark ride. And unlike Sea World, they are actually putting their dark ride indoors so that it's dark.

Should be another fun compare/contrast with Mission: BREAKOUT!.

Battle for Metropolis... that's actually a great attraction. There're videos online, if that's your type of thing. It's open in five Six Flags right now, and by the end of the year, it will be open in seven. If that doesn't read "success," I don't know what does.

Sure, it may not be as good as Mission Breakout, but this is Six Flags. They aren't playing the same game. Battle for Metroplois is pretty damn good for Six Flags.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Okay, this is just too good. Here's another Sea World corporate type "revealing" a model of the new Submarine Quest ride vehicle five months ago at a big industry trade convention in Orlando. The little curtain drops and at 1:05 here is how he explains Submarine Quest as a ride...

"You're going to get a chance to explore this new realm and interface with a brand new gaming platform that we developed onboard the ride. And you're going to actually collect data, as you travel around the land, about sealife underwater, find out what really is living down there, have some unusual encounters, and most importantly find out how you do as an explorer as you ride it again, and again, and again."

This just makes me feel so old, to remember a time a few decades ago when words actually mattered and you chose your words carefully and specifically to apply to what you were actually talking about. This guy could be talking about the first manned colony on Mars, or a really dumb ride at Sea World. It's just all at the same level of excitement and wonder for him and the three dozen people he thinks believe him.

Geez, Sea World really sucks now, doesn't it? Another SoCal theme park Disneyland doesn't have to worry about ever again.

SpaceMountain75

The time has come ladies and gents. I "finally" rode GOTG:MB. The ride that replaced my favorite ride (well maybe top 3) at DLR... TOT. First off let me start by saying that from A-Z, start to finish, I still prefer TOT to GOTG. I'm not even getting into what the building looks like or how it clashes with the rest of the park. I'm comparing ride to ride here and judging the entire experience. With that said, there are individual elements/ parts of MB that are more entertaining and better executed than TOT.

So let's start with the outdoor queue. Not a fan. They kind of went with that Arizona landscaping look that I hate that's been taking over So Cal the last few years because of the drought. Lots of tiny gray rocks and desert landscaping with an "alien" twist. I'm not saying I hate it but I'm a fan of lush landscaping so it never really had a shot with me. It does work with the theme of the attraction and it's not as stale as I feared. Also I will always miss the distorted jazz music from TOT so... TOT WINS here.

The indoor queue is really how I imagined it. It's just too small of a space to pull off what they re going for. This is probably one of the best examples of the restrictions of an overlay limiting the potential of an experience. If they could have somehow made it feel larger by using screens on the back wall/ ceiling and with forced perespective and digitally made it look like those glass cases went on "forever", the indoor queue would have been better for it. I think it would have done more for the queue then to have the screen on the back wall with the Guardians joking and bickering. I think all of that tone/ energy and the reveal of seeing the Guardians for the first time could have been saved until the ride experience. I would of liked for the queue to be a little more foreboding and ominous. TOT gets the WIN here.

Next the old library. This is an obvious WIN for GOTG. The pre show is Disney at their finest. The Rocket AA is super impressive and the whole pre show is very funny and engaging. As far as physical sets the room is on par with TOT and perhaps slightly improved because of the interaction of Rocket with the surrounding set pieces that really brings the room to life.

One of the bigger surprises to me was the boiler room. It was continuously talked about as the room getting the least love so my expectations were low. However, they did a really nice job with the lighting and sound effects. I really like the power surge that continuously flows through the room. It brings a nice energy to the room. I do miss the creepy safety instruction voice from TOT (especially in Spanish). I like how they kept the ominous feel in this room and actually improved upon it. Anyway, WIN for GOTG.

Now the ride experience. Gosh, where do I start? The word used over and over when describing the experience is "chaos." Which is a great way to describe it but I will also use the word "incoherent." I just saw GOTG 2 and really liked the movie and this ride definitely captures all of the energy, comedy and spirit of the film but it's still kind of hard to follow along with what's going on. Basically yes, it's a very simple storyline but as soon as you get shot up (By the way I really like the pull back scene with the Rocket projection) it all just goes really fast. A lot bouncing up and down. And when you do see the digital show scenes, all of which are at the old mirror scene, they re already in action as if you walked into the middle of a movie. You can't really hear what the Guardians are saying and you have the uppity oldie song playing in the background. It's almost like they went with the POTC "cocktail conversation" approach but it's harder to pull off here because of the speed at which everything is happening. I think this approach will possibly make the ride more repeatable for many guests. It's just so Chaotic that it will make it harder for the attraction to get old for people when they can't recite lines and have no idea what's going on. Maybe this ride becomes a classic because of how different it is? Who knows? It's not my favorite approach but it works in its own way.

It's fun and very funny! In a way if you think about it, the approach for the show scenes is actually more realistic than how we are used to being told stories on attractions. They don't hold our hand here. If Rocket blew the generator (or whatever) why should we expect to get shot up to the show scene and have everything explained to us again or even have the Guardians addressing us? The show scenes are happening after the trigger event so it makes sense that they would be chaotic. With that said, i think you could have had your cake and ate it too here with a little better writing.

Not a huge fan of the scene that took place of the old hallway scene. Huge downgrade there. Again it works in the ride but there's nothing to really see there. We went from a beautiful 3D set with great practical effects to Christmas lights/ whatever other junk they threw in there.

As far as the old mirror set, it's hard to get as invested here Because of the 2D downgrade as great quality and crystal clear as the images are. But still no practical effects and stale set.

The music is all fun but it "distracts" purposely from the overall experience. I went twice and got "free ride" and "we want the funk" of which I liked the latter more. But that's probably because of a better CM and more fun group we had in the ride vehicle.

Sorry I'm realizing this review, specifically on the ride experience portion is very scattered which is a testament to the chaos of the attraction. It beautifully captures the spirit of the films and is a very different and funny attraction for Disney. If Universal created this ride, I would think it's one their Top 3 attractions ever made. However, It doesn't really feel (or look) like a Disney ride and that's ok.

It was really fun to go on a ride and not know what to expect. It seems like you never know when you re going up or down. The parallax effect works really well and brings a new energy to the show scenes. With that said I think I prefer TOTs one drop sequence to both of the ones I experienced yesterday. It just felt more thrilling but it could be because of all the suspense and buildup that ride had. None of the drops in GOTG felt as suspenseful / thrilling as the final drop in TOT. I'm not sure there was one drop that went the entire distance, from the opening doors up top to the bottom. TOT gets the WIN for ride experience.

OVERALL: TOT, with its build up, mood setting and story telling, was a better experience from start to finish which shouldn't really surprise anyone as it was a purpose built attraction. It was also a better ride experience IMO. GOTG does hold its own though and is a lot of fun. I think if the show scenes were a little more thought out and kept more of the 3D feel and used more practical effects it could have given TOT a run for its money. Again ride to ride , attraction 2 attraction. Not considering theming or aesthetics.

TOT was classic and timeless. Everyone could understand and relate to the story/ subject material. GOTG is high energy, funny, irreverent and a lot of fun but hard to follow along with even when you know the source material. As a one off attraction GOTG works. However, I would rather Disney stick to things that are timeless, classic, vintage. It's their brand what they do best (at the parks at least). I wouldn't mind however, if all Marvel Land kept the same tone as the GOTG ride. Just let all the Marvel stuff be the funny, cutting edge, modern, "anti Disney" stuff and keep the rest of the park classic.
I just rode it for the first time today and was gonna add my thoughts, but you said everything I was going to. In the end, ToT > Guardians, but the latter has some redeeming qualities.

dweezil78

Assuming the Magic Mountain ride is like the other one going into Six Flags parks, it looks pretty good. Simulator/dark ride hybrid, 3D screens -- it looks like the Ratatouille ride system but with the addition of Buzz Lightyear shoot em up guns. Maybe not Disney but certainly a step up for SF.

It's more like a ripoff of IOA's 18 year-old Spider-Man ride. Similar ride system and even a lot of the scenes are almost carbon copy! Surprised they haven't been sued over it tbh.

NobodyElse

Okay, this is just too good. Here's another Sea World corporate type "revealing" a model of the new Submarine Quest ride vehicle five months ago at a big industry trade convention in Orlando. The little curtain drops and at 1:05 here is how he explains Submarine Quest as a ride...

"You're going to get a chance to explore this new realm and interface with a brand new gaming platform that we developed onboard the ride. And you're going to actually collect data, as you travel around the land, about sealife underwater, find out what really is living down there, have some unusual encounters, and most importantly find out how you do as an explorer as you ride it again, and again, and again."

This just makes me feel so old, to remember a time a few decades ago when words actually mattered and you chose your words carefully and specifically to apply to what you were actually talking about. This guy could be talking about the first manned colony on Mars, or a really dumb ride at Sea World. It's just all at the same level of excitement and wonder for him and the three dozen people he thinks believe him.

Geez, Sea World really sucks now, doesn't it? Another SoCal theme park Disneyland doesn't have to worry about ever again.

A) I have to agree with you regarding words and language (and age also, I suppose).

B) After seeing that spectacular ride vehicle unveiling, I can't get the Stonehenge scene from "This is Spinal Tap" out of my head. :)

Phroobar

Battle for Metropolis... that's actually a great attraction. There're videos online, if that's your type of thing. It's open in five Six Flags right now, and by the end of the year, it will be open in seven. If that doesn't read "success," I don't know what does.

Sure, it may not be as good as Mission Breakout, but this is Six Flags. They aren't playing the same game. Battle for Metroplois is pretty damn good for Six Flags.

I hear the new Battle for Metropolis ride will have Harley Quinn for the first time and a different ending from the previous versions. I'll check it out when it opens. They still don't give a date yet.

Phroobar

It's more like a ripoff of IOA's 18 year-old Spider-Man ride. Similar ride system and even a lot of the scenes are almost carbon copy! Surprised they haven't been sued over it tbh.
Like Spiderman, it's just a super hero ride where bad guys and good guys are fighting in front of you. There isn't a lot you can do different with that story. The ride system is the same as any dark ride with guns. Knott's Iron Reef ride is the same thing. Legoland has their new Ninjago dark ride that is similar too except it uses motion sensors. This kind of ride is pretty much all over the country now.

Rich T

After seeing that spectacular ride vehicle unveiling, I can't get the Stonehenge scene from "This is Spinal Tap" out of my head. :)
I think the ride vehicles are kinda neat. Too bad they're aren't part of a really fun, indoor dark ride fantasy, I've only watched one ride through video, but... sheesh, what were they thinking?
(EDIT) ... Still better than Little Mermaid, though. :D

Ismael Flores

You probably know this, but none of the whales are actually named Shamu. Shamu died in 1971. The whales have real human-given names that the trainers use backstage, just like you and I have real names. Copied from Wikipedia, here they are: Corky (F), Kasatka (F), Ulises (M), Orkid (F), Keet (M), Shouka (F), Nakai (M), Ikaika (M), Kalia (F), Makani (M) and Amaya (F).

Shamu, and the side stars like Kandu, etc. were simply stage names, much like actors have different names in movies and circus performers have different names in the circus. But this new show is different, it's a "live documentary" as they call it. I think when or if you see it, you'll understand. It simply wouldn't make sense for the whales to use stage names.

Was Corky originally the whale that came from the old Marineland of the Pacific in Palos Verdes? I remember that when the park sold to Sea World and got closed down the two Orcas were moved but wasn't sure where and if they were still alive after all these years. I remember one of them was called Corky the other one was called Orky.

Edit: Just read a history story and Corky and Orky were shipped secretly to San Diego Sea World. It caused quite an unrest because when Sea World bought the park they had promised to invest money in it and keep it running.

Maybe they should have kept this park instead of the one in San Diego, I'm sure they would not have to have dealt with the same issues they have with the city council there

Last edited:

mickEblu

I was actually at Sea World this past weekend and was able to ride Submarine quest. Let me just say this. Absolutely incredible! Immersive and a game changer in every way. The videos don't do it any justice. Remember guys, you can't really judge any ride experience by watching a video.

Phroobar

I was actually at Sea World this past weekend and was able to ride Submarine quest. Let me just say this. Absolutely incredible! Immersive and a game changer in every way. The videos don't do it any justice. Remember guys, you can't really judge any ride experience by watching a video.
Definitely deserves to be ranked with such winners as Jumping Jellyfish, the Golden Zephyr, the SS Rustworthy and the Maliboomer.

mickEblu

Definitely deserves to be ranked with such winners as Jumping Jellyfish, the Golden Zephyr, the SS Rustworthy and the Maliboomer.

No question. Don't forget Tuck n Roll Drive Em Buggies.

Can't wait til that ^^^ gets turned into a path to Marvel Land. Have you ever been angry at a ride? Somehow I have personified that ride and I hate him. Yes, it's a him.

I would rather they just leave the tent and have a booth under there where u stand in line to get punched in the eye. I don't mind getting punched in the eye so long as it's in the shade.

Last edited:

yookeroo

I think you need to take off those rose colored glasses. Marketing depts. have always been like this. This is how they used to market cigarettes: https://www.buzzfeed.com/copyranter/healthy-cigarette-ads?utm_term=.hi3k7Jww1#.ltZgelLLK

D

Deleted member 107043

I think you need to take off those rose colored glasses. Marketing depts. have always been like this. This is how they used to market cigarettes: https://www.buzzfeed.com/copyranter/healthy-cigarette-ads?utm_term=.hi3k7Jww1#.ltZgelLLK

Amazing. Not to defend them, but the theme park industry is notorious for making exaggerated claims and peddling hype about their latest attractions. Check out this old 1975 article on DL's Space Mountain:

Backstage%2BDisneyland%2BWinter%2B1975_3.jpg

Space Mountain captures the essence of Superspace. The expectant “space voyager” is transported through the space station launch portal, and through the vast man-made “solar field.” He then orbits the glowing “satellite,” become engulfed in spectacular nebulae and plunges past myriads of strange stars and unknown galaxies to begin reentry.

Huh? Granted it's a far more accurate description of Space Mountain than the spin given to Sea World's new peoplemover, but still.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phroobar

Ge

Amazing. Not to defend them, but the theme park industry is notorious for making exaggerated claims and peddling hype about their latest attractions. Check out this old 1975 article on DL's Space Mountain:

Backstage%2BDisneyland%2BWinter%2B1975_3.jpg

Space Mountain captures the essence of Superspace. The expectant “space voyager” is transported through the space station launch portal, and through the vast man-made “solar field.” He then orbits the glowing “satellite,” become engulfed in spectacular nebulae and plunges past myriads of strange stars and unknown galaxies to being reentry.

Huh? Granted it's a far more accurate description of Space Mountain than the spin given to Sea World's new peoplemover, but still.
I'd say that is pretty accurate until Rockin Space Mountain and it's siblings destroyed it.

TP2000

Original Poster
Here's an interesting video, notable for the first minute where we see all the setup and prep work going on. They apparently passed out those weird lighted wig things because it created movement and conveyed the drop effect to the cameras. The ride itself is just another Mommy Blogger freaking out on the ride, but the behind-the-scenes footage is interesting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom