Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes, you're in a cabin/elevator which moves in sync with the video. They're essentially simulators. Star Tours has much more freedom of motion but Tower/M:BO has the height advantage of course.

Well then anything with a screen is basically a simulator, right. That means Shanghai Pirates is a simulator. Holiday Mansion is a simulator because of the screen used to display Jack. And even Alice is now a simulator because it has screens to show the animations. ;):p:D

But in all seriousness, actually no a ride simulator is just that a simulator. It simulates physical motion using a hydraulics platform in sync with video on the screen in front of you. ToT/GotG is not a simulator whereas Star Tours is.

A drop tower is just that a drop tower with physical up and down motion.

The only similarities between the two is the screens if so installed in a drop tower like ToT/GotG. But that is where the similarities end. They are two different experiences and meant to be. You can't get the same free fall feeling from a simulator because the hydraulics limit the motion.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
But in all seriousness, actually no a ride simulator is just that a simulator. It simulates physical motion using a hydraulics platform in sync with video on the screen in front of you. ToT/GotG is not a simulator whereas Star Tours is.

Only in the traditional sense but ToT/M:BO simulates an elevator out of control. It uses fans above and below to give the illusion you're going faster than you really are and has a mechanism underneath to shake the elevator.

This goofy video explains it although there are some errors:

The only similarities between the two is the screens if so installed in a drop tower like ToT/GotG. But that is where the similarities end. They are two different experiences and meant to be. You can't get the same free fall feeling from a simulator because the hydraulics limit the motion.

If we were talking just about ToT I would agree but with the synced screens in M:BO the line is blurred. Maybe Transformers: The Ride is a better comparison though.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Only in the traditional sense but ToT/M:BO simulates an elevator out of control. It uses fans above and below to give the illusion you're going faster than you really are and has a mechanism underneath to shake the elevator.

This goofy video explains it although there are some errors:

However its not simulating elevator motion, its actually in motion despite what the video says. The elevator car does not stay put, its in physical motion. Hence not a simulator, its a free fall ride.

Professortango1

However its not simulating elevator motion, its actually in motion despite what the video says. The elevator car does not stay put, its in physical motion. Hence not a simulator, its a free fall ride.

It is simulating a faster drop and also adss the shaking motion to the attraction. The anti gravity profile uses this simulator platform a lot.

yookeroo

You're in a drop ride physically dropping/launching 100+ feet multiple times, how is that anything like Star Tours? Because there are screens? By that comparison, is any ride with an AA a lesser version of Pirates of the Caribbean?

This is clearly more grasping at straws. Desperate to find something to criticize. It's stretching the definition of a simulator ride to the point where nearly every Disney ride can be called a simulator ride. I'm curious as to how a ride that actually moves you up and down the shaft is an inferior version of a ride that doesn't go anywhere and just tilts you around.

Professortango1

This is clearly more grasping at straws. Desperate to find something to criticize. It's stretching the definition of a simulator ride to the point where nearly every Disney ride can be called a simulator ride. I'm curious as to how a ride that actually moves you up and down the shaft is an inferior version of a ride that doesn't go anywhere and just tilts you around.

Because the tilting version has more range of motion and the story structure is stronger. Plus, the plot involves things happening to us, rather than the voyeuristic nature of Mission BO.

Its like Screamin' and Space Mountain. Both are coasters with onboard audio. Screamin is obviously the better coaster, but I think most would agree Space Mountain is a better Disney Attraction, despite it not having as many physical thrills as the newer ride.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It is simulating a faster drop and also adss the shaking motion to the attraction. The anti gravity profile uses this simulator platform a lot.

Then Space Mountain is a simulator too then. Because being in the dark not knowing where the turns are "simulates" going faster than you really are.

For that matter every attraction at a Disney Park is a simulator. Because they are "simulating" experiences that we can't in the real world. So lets keep stretching the word simulator.

mickEblu

Was in Old Town Pasadena today. Are any of you familiar with the Castle Green below? Looks like it could have been the inspiration for TOT at WDW.

IMG_7142.JPG
IMG_7141.JPG
IMG_7144.jpg

BTW Pasadena is like Disneyland in the real world. Nice architecture, beautiful landscaping, streetmosphere and lots of nooks and crannies to explore. A cool mix of modern and Older homes/ apartments that look like they're right out of the 60s/ 70s except they re well kept and not falling apart.

I've been to Pasadena countless times but it feels like there's always something new to explore. The city also has a lot of great restaurants. Today I was here to try Pie n Burger. An old diner that's been there since the 50's whose one and only burger is on many TOP burger lists. Unfortunately, it was just ok.

Anyway, I'm going to move to Pasadena someday. Great city.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I don't think Disneyland has great food.

Hahah I thought twice about including that too. But I didn't want to NOT include that when describing Pasadena. I meant more like "real life Disneyland" in look and feel.

DL does have good food by theme park standards.

George Lucas on a Bench

Swiss Cake Rolls. First, you peel the chocolate covering, then you consume the fluffy cream-filled interior. Then, you enjoy those chocolatey outer layers. Oh MAN! Always hits the spot.

D

Deleted member 107043

Swiss Cake Rolls. First, you peel the chocolate covering, then you consume the fluffy cream-filled interior. Then, you enjoy those chocolatey outer layers. Oh MAN! Always hits the spot.

Have you dined at the Carthay? I think it's pretty good overall and outstanding for a theme park. I don't think they have Swiss cake rolls though.

George Lucas on a Bench

I don't like spending $30+ on a meal. I'm not cheap, but I know when I'm being ripped off. I'd rather just prepare something to feed a group of people for days. And the atmosphere is too snobbish, even for me. My God, I could never imagine myself in that place. Actually, it might make for an epic vlog, if I had a vlog. I want a Swiss Roll.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom