Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Californian Elitist

Attach all the pictures, gifs, and memes you want. Your obsession for a mediocre attraction is still strange as is your reluctance to change; change that will be better than what is there now.

Instead of your typical overreaction, let the area develop and see what type of super heroes area you get. Based on recent activities at DLR, that team definitely deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not obsessed with ToT, so not sure what you're talking about there, however I do question your use of the word "mediocre," but I don't feel like getting into that.

Traffic in this thread slowed down a lot, but it picked up when it was reported that ToT's signage was taken down. That's the bulk of what we've been discussing recently in this thread. The majority of the recent posts ARE NOT filled with complaints that the ride is leaving and re-themed.

I only have reluctance to change within the parks when I feel the change doesn't make sense. Some people welcome any kind of change, and they're welcome to do that.

I used that meme because it portrays the exact face I made when I read your comment. While ToT isn't my favorite DCA attraction, I'm not going to tell those who do list it as their favorite that it sucks anyway and they need to stop complaining. This thread is dedicated to ToT and what it will become. Should we not expect one person to express disappointment that the ride as we know it is leaving? Just because YOU don't have any attachments to the ride doesn't mean others don't have that right. Let people be upset. Your comment was uncalled for, why even say something like that?

Travel Junkie

And it seems that most of y'all are blindly implying that the new area will be a miss as well.

Oh, and I have no problem with the placement of SWL.

The objection for the most part has been where it is going and what is surrounding it. We already know where it is going and what surrounds it. The Hollywood Tower of Terror fits into a land called Hollywood land and transitions from Carthay Circle (which as a side note was woven into the BVS story line. So much for that) whereas GOTG does not currently fit in with the surroundings. I hope that it is a better executed attraction than TOT was but that doesn't change the placement is suspect to say the least.

That's fine you have no problem with SWL's placement. Myself and others don't think it fits in DL as it standalone land. That says nothing about the execution which remains to be seen.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The objection for the most part has been where it is going and what is surrounding it. We already know where it is going and what surrounds it. The Hollywood Tower of Terror fits into a land called Hollywood land and transitions from Carthay Circle (which as a side note was woven into the BVS story line. So much for that) whereas GOTG does not currently fit in with the surroundings. I hope that it is a better executed attraction than TOT was but that doesn't change the placement is suspect to say the least.

That's fine you have no problem with SWL's placement. Myself and others don't think it fits in DL as it standalone land. That says nothing about the execution which remains to be seen.
And that's my whole point. It seems like y'all are complaining about something that isn't going to be finished for years, and you don't know what the execution is as of yet. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until we see the final product, and then judge. To me, it is pointless to judge until we see what it is going to be. They might make it fit in ways that we have no idea about right now, and you may end up loving it. Or not.

So why does SWL not fit in DL????? If you take that further - why does any "land" fit into DL? Because Walt said so? Is that the ONLY criteria that y'all look for? If so, that's very narrow-minded.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Should we not expect one person to express disappointment that the ride as we know it is leaving? Just because YOU don't have any attachments to the ride doesn't mean others don't have that right. Let people be upset.
People can be upset all they want. But they should also expect to be challenged about it...it is a forum.

Your comment was uncalled for, why even say something like that?
Because I can...and because I believe my comment to be true.

Californian Elitist

It was implied, not stated. Sorry if that is an error on my part.

Again I will say that we agree to disagree. You say it is bad show, and I and many others here, disagree with you. I have to ask again - what makes you think that you are the expert on what is good and bad show? Just because you visit there a lot? Just because you used to work there? So what? It is all still just your opinion.

Just because I don't post here very often means nothing. Yes, I have been to DL. And guess what. It has all the same issues as people claim that WDW has. Since you have never been to WDW, you will have to make your own assessment when you finally visit. But let me tell you this - it is NOWHERE NEAR as bad as people here make it out to be. A lot of them posting about how bad it is haven't even been there recently. They're just jumping on the bandwagon.

Having been to WDW recently, and many times over the last 40 years, the parks are looking great. Maintenance is being performed. The parks are clean. You jump on the one picture of an overflowing trash can with no context provided. Was it right after a parade and the CMs had to wait to get it cleaned up for safety reasons? Same with the restrooms. We have never seem them in the conditions reported - ever, and I'll bet that if it was bad - it was cleaned shorty afterwards. But the people with a doom&gloom agenda don't want you to know that. They act like WDW is a pig sty with falling apart attractions - and that simply isn't true. The folks at TDO don't "get away" with anything that TDA doesn't as well.

As attraction hosts/hostesses, during training you are given a list of what is considered "bad show," and while that list of course differs depending on the attraction, signage problems/no signage is on every attraction's list as bad show. That is a fact. You can choose to accept it or not, but it will still remain a fact.

I brought up your lack of posts in this forum because I wasn't sure if you've visited the DLR or not. Never did I say your lack of posts discounts your opinion.

I'm glad you continue to enjoy WDW.

Agree to disagree about the other stuff.

Californian Elitist

People can be upset all they want. But they should also expect to be challenged about it...it is a forum.

Because I can...and because I believe my comment to be true.

Being challenged is different from being rude, which is what you were being. @dweezil78 and @BrianLo actually challenge opposing views. You didn't do that.

There's no reason for you to discount how one feels (that's what you did), other than to just be rude.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
As attraction hosts/hostesses, during training you are given a list of what is considered "bad show," and while that list of course differs depending on the attraction, signage problems/no signage is on every attraction's list as bad show. That is a fact. You can choose to accept it or not, but it will still remain a fact.

I brought up your lack of posts in this forum because I wasn't sure if you've visited the DLR or not. Never did I say your lack of posts discounts your opinion.

I'm glad you continue to enjoy WDW.

Agree to disagree about the other stuff.
But the entrance sign is still there, as someone already pointed out. I would absolutely agree if the entrance sign was gone with no replacement. Anyway, we can all hope that they do an excellent job on the new area. Time will tell.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Being challenged is different from being rude, which is what you were being.

There's no reason for you to discount how one feels, other than to just be rude.

Yes, yes. You're always very good at playing the victim card. I am such a bully, as is everyone else who challenges you and others on your preconceived notions on what DLR must be because you're a local and you know best. I am sorry I hurt your feelings.

Californian Elitist

But the entrance sign is still there, as someone already pointed out. I would absolutely agree if the entrance sign was gone with no replacement. Anyway, we can all hope that they do an excellent job on the new area. Time will tell.

Yes, that is still there, but big bold letters that also served as the signage isn't.

It just looks so odd, but as you said, we just have to wait and see and hope Disney does justice to this new Marvel area. I'm already not feeling the name they're apparently proposing, but that could change, so we'll see.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yes, that is still there, but big bold letters that also served as the signage isn't.

It just looks so odd, but as you said, we just have to wait and see and hope Disney does justice to this new Marvel area. I'm already not feeling the name they're apparently proposing, but that could change, so we'll see.
I agree the name is not good. They can certainly do better.

Travel Junkie

And that's my whole point. It seems like y'all are complaining about something that isn't going to be finished for years, and you don't know what the execution is as of yet. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until we see the final product, and then judge. To me, it is pointless to judge until we see what it is going to be. They might make it fit in ways that we have no idea about right now, and you may end up loving it. Or not.

So why does SWL not fit in DL????? If you take that further - why does any "land" fit into DL? Because Walt said so? Is that the ONLY criteria that y'all look for? If so, that's very narrow-minded.

GOTG will be completed in summer 2017, and will not fit into what surrounds it for the foreseeable future. You can also see that tower from all over DCA. A Hollywood Hotel fits into the theme of California. A GOTG Tower does not and I have not heard they plan on changing the name of the park. The TOT fits the land it is in and the park it is in much better than what will replace it. I don't think that can be disputed. You may not look at those types of things but theme is part of theme park. An amusement park is just a collection of attractions. If that's what they are going for then they should say so. If they are going to call it a theme park then they should stick to cohesive themes.

There are multiple threads that discuss SWL and it's placement. Feel free to engage there but we can start with it being unique as a single IP land. DL is built around broad themes based around Americana i.e. the Frontier, looking ahead to Tomorrow, small town USA etc. SWL is a specific IP that is a fantasy space opera. I don't see how that fits, but again that's another thread.

Professortango1

Having been to WDW recently, and many times over the last 40 years, the parks are looking great. Maintenance is being performed. The parks are clean. You jump on the one picture of an overflowing trash can with no context provided. Was it right after a parade and the CMs had to wait to get it cleaned up for safety reasons? Same with the restrooms. We have never seem them in the conditions reported - ever, and I'll bet that if it was bad - it was cleaned shorty afterwards. But the people with a doom&gloom agenda don't want you to know that. They act like WDW is a pig sty with falling apart attractions - and that simply isn't true. The folks at TDO don't "get away" with anything that TDA doesn't as well.

Sorry, just got back from WDW and I saw a lot of wear and tear that I don't see in Anaheim. Tons of chipped walls in queues, an actual hole in the wall in Space's queue, signage peeling and bubbling, shuttered attractions, broken effects, removed animatronics. It was clean, but the park looked and felt worn down.

Californian Elitist

Yes, yes. You're always very good at playing the victim card. I am such a bully, as is everyone else who challenges you and others on your preconceived notions on what DLR must be because you're a local and you know best. I am sorry I hurt your feelings.

LOL You didn't hurt my feelings, nor did you challenge others with that comment. You simply discounted what others felt.

I'm not a victim, but thanks for your concern.

Professortango1

I am making a logical assumption. The current attraction isn't that great. It is extremely flawed. .

Actually many guests, including myself, prefer the updated version in Anaheim. The script moves a little better, we like the drop scare at the end of the hallway scene, and the 5th Dimension room always seems like something was supposed to go there and then budgets were cut. I like the WDW Tower and the facade and queue are phenomenal, but I do prefer the DCA ride experience. It's much darker in mood and moves along.

As for flawed, I see a huge flaw in the changeover. TOT is a horror attraction. Horror often is filmed and portrayed in a way which has the audience backed into a corner peeking through a doorway. Do they dare enter? You see things down a dark hallway. The attraction perfectly captures that spirit. Action Adventure attractions often put the guest in the middle of the action. Pirates, Transformers, Spiderman, Indiana Jones, etc. You want to feel like you're in the cross fire. DCA's Tower design can't accomplish that feeling as the attraction is still guests viewing small scenes through a doorway. WDW's Tower is much better suited to this new concept as it allows the attraction to be set up with the first room, then guests to navigate through the action to the escape hatch. There's also room for Animatronics and practical effects in the 5th dimension room and bottom of the drop shaft at WDW whereas DCA's has room for projection only. I think WDW would benefit much more from converting Tower of Terror into Mission Breakout. The park can reopen with a new Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, and Guardians of the Galaxy/Marvel area. That seems to fit the new park to a T.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Sorry, just got back from WDW and I saw a lot of wear and tear that I don't see in Anaheim. Tons of chipped walls in queues, an actual hole in the wall in Space's queue, signage peeling and bubbling, shuttered attractions, broken effects, removed animatronics. It was clean, but the park looked and felt worn down.
And when we were in DL earlier this year, we saw exactly the same issues as you have stated. Chipped paint, rides down, broken effects, etc. Please don't try to place DL on a pedestal because it is your home park. Both have issues. Anyway, don't want this thread to be a DL vs WDW comparison.

Professortango1

And when we were in DL earlier this year, we saw exactly the same issues as you have stated. Chipped paint, rides down, broken effects, etc. Please don't try to place DL on a pedestal because it is your home park. Both have issues. Anyway, don't want this thread to be a DL vs WDW comparison.

No pedestal. We were just very surprised to see attraction signs falling apart. It might be a humidity thing that causes the paint and vinyl to to chip and bubble, but we saw a lot of it. Country Bears was in bad shape, a lot of clicking could be heard from the animatronics. Either way, it's a fun resort but I'd love to see some "plussing occur." I'm glad Big Thunder is getting the updated effects and I hope more attractions follow suit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom