Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
I'm willing to bet that the same people who are in support of the TOT overhaul would be among the first to complain if Disney ever changed the WDW POTC.
Not if they did it right. NO ride should EVER be considered "sacred" as some here seem to think. Yes, we all have our favorites, but, it's a theme park, not a museum. Get over it and move on with your life.

FigmentForver96

So only locals should get to go to DL? There are millions of first time visitors to DL that have never seen ToT and the huge letters, so the fact that they are gone will not matter to them one whit. That it matters so much to you amazes me.
Right cause since they don't know it's totally ok! That mentality is what lets them get away with so much. And you are right not everything is sacred. But some things need to be touched and others do not. It's been beaten over and over and over again but there was room for more rides in the park and replacing the tower was the quickest and easiest way for them to capitalize on their franchise. It reeks of laziness and its one thing with the online community gets upset. It's another when many many people are upset about this. You can check social media outlets or anybody who knows Disney in general and they will tell you this is stupid. Even my father, who defends Disney for just about anything thinks it is a stupid idea. But of course you will be quick to say things must change and hey it doesn't matter cause it's happening. Keep snorting the dust buddy. It's doing wonders.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Right cause since they don't know it's totally ok! That mentality is what lets them get away with so much. And you are right not everything is sacred. But some things need to be touched and others do not. It's been beaten over and over and over again but there was room for more rides in the park and replacing the tower was the quickest and easiest way for them to capitalize on their franchise. It reeks of laziness and its one thing with the online community gets upset. It's another when many many people are upset about this. You can check social media outlets or anybody who knows Disney in general and they will tell you this is stupid. Even my father, who defends Disney for just about anything thinks it is a stupid idea. But of course you will be quick to say things must change and hey it doesn't matter cause it's happening. Keep snorting the dust buddy. It's doing wonders.
My understanding is that the new attraction is going to be the gateway to the new Marvel land there. If so, then it has nothing to do with laziness, but just the beginning of an entirely new area. If it's done right, I have no problem with it.

ToT HS.jpg

So here is the ToT at HS. Please tell me how it isn't bad show to have the huge letters OVER THE TOP of the supposedly lightning struck area. Wouldn't they be damaged as well? I see nothing in social media complaining about this. Why?

FigmentForver96

My understanding is that the new attraction is going to be the gateway to the new Marvel land there. If so, then it has nothing to do with laziness, but just the beginning of an entirely new area. If it's done right, I have no problem with it.

View attachment 164103
So here is the ToT at HS. Please tell me how it isn't bad show to have the huge letters OVER THE TOP of the supposedly lightning struck area. Wouldn't they be damaged as well? I see nothing in social media complaining about this. Why?
The letters are damaged, they are crooked and at night they do not light perfectley. But that is not even the point here. That does not excuse them taking the sign down before the ride is even closed. That is just bad show plain and simple. I don't give a damn of every letter on that building lit just right and every letter was straight. It is bad show and you can be new and never notice it and it is still bad. Disney used to be the standard for detail and now they ignore and people just excuse it

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
The letters are damaged, they are crooked and at night they do not light perfectley. But that is not even the point here. That does not excuse them taking the sign down before the ride is even closed. That is just bad show plain and simple. I don't give a damn of every letter on that building lit just right and every letter was straight. It is bad show and you can be new and never notice it and it is still bad. Disney used to be the standard for detail and now they ignore and people just excuse it
So you and a few others here seem to think that you are the experts on what is and what is not bad show. So you know better than Disney does. If the letters had never been there - would it still be bad show because you think letters should have been there?

Oh, and I most certainly do not give Disney a pass for everything. I absolutely hated the 25th anniversary castle cake. The wand on SE. The BAH in front of the theater. Many other things as well, but the letters being gone from ToT? Meh.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Attach all the pictures, gifs, and memes you want. Your obsession for a mediocre attraction is still strange as is your reluctance to change; change that will be better than what is there now.

Instead of your typical overreaction, let the area develop and see what type of super heroes area you get. Based on recent activities at DLR, that team definitely deserves the benefit of the doubt.

britain

Look: It's bad show, but it's going to get to be even worse show with every passing day. So you have to ask, is it better to let guests go on Tower while it is on life support? Or pull the plug now?

I think it's fine to let guests ride rather than shut it down now. There is still some fun to be had with the thing.

My only squabble is that they are ADVERTISING to get people to come enjoy Tower before it goes away, even though it actually stopped its FULL show last week.

RIP

Travel Junkie

Attach all the pictures, gifs, and memes you want. Your obsession for a mediocre attraction is still strange as is your reluctance to change; change that will be better than what is there now.

Instead of your typical overreaction, let the area develop and see what type of super heroes area you get. Based on recent activities at DLR, that team definitely deserves the benefit of the doubt.

A lot of people don't share your opinion that it is a mediocre attraction. No, it is not as good as the versions in DHS or TDS, but it is still a very good attraction and one of the best at DCA. None of us know if it will be better than what is there now including you, unless you already made up your mind before experiencing it or seeing as much as concept art that personally I wasn't impressed with.

IMO based on recent activities at DLR, it deserves skepticism. Their results have been very mixed.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
A lot of people don't share your opinion that it is a mediocre attraction
Then those opinions would be wrong.

None of us know if it will be better than what is there now including you,
I just can't see it being any worse than what is there now.

IMO based on recent activities at DLR, it deserves skepticism. Their results have been very mixed.
They will never be able to please you then.

Travel Junkie

Then those opinions would be wrong.
How is an opinion wrong?

They will never be able to please you then.

That's not true whatsoever. As I said it has been mixed, meaning I have been pleased by some of the things they have done and not others. I believe this is an incorrect decision at this time but am open to changing my mind based on the final result. Skepticism is healthy and blind acceptance is not.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
That's not true whatsoever. As I said it has been mixed, meaning I have been pleased by some of the things they have done and not others. I believe this is an incorrect decision at this time but am open to changing my mind based on the final result. Skepticism is healthy and blind acceptance is not.
So what, in your opinion, has been a miss lately?

hawkfam

I'm going to DLR for our 2nd trip in November. We're bringing along 6 family member's who've never been to DL before. Sure, there's no sign outside, but the preshow is still going to be there. We'll still able to able to see the lobby, see Rod Serling, still able to walk through the boiler room, etc. So, I'm very much on board with Disney not shutting it down in Sept like originally had been discussed to instead push it off to January so we can experience it. And believe me, we'll be fine with how the outside looks since there is so much to experience inside. As has been mentioned, there are still plenty of people who'd love to experience the ride for the first time or one last time and with the interior still fully in "show" I don't see any reason why Disney can't take down an outside sign and still keep the ride open for 4 months before they re-do the interior.

Again, to me the ride is more about the inside than the outside. I get "show" but I also get guests wanting to experience the ride. If I showed up in November and Disney said ToT was closed but they weren't starting any interior work until January and since they took down the sign to work on the outside they just decided to close the ride I'd be much more upset at that than not seeing the sign.

Also, what to do about scrims? Should once-in-a-lifetime visitors not be able to ride Haunted Mansion (MK version) because it's behind a scrim and can't possibly be considered good show? I mean, it's a canvas painting instead of the real thing! How dare they!

HauntedMansion-08292016-1.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
How is an opinion wrong?
Everyone can have an opinion...but those opinions can still be wrong.

I believe this is an incorrect decision at this time but am open to changing my mind based on the final result. Skepticism is healthy and blind acceptance is not.
Who is blindly accepting anything? For instance, my concern is less about the attraction itself and more about the surrounding area that they are supposed to turn into a super heroes "land". So, how large will this area be? Is it going to "blend" well with the rest of DCA and the other ares of the park? What will the transitions look like from this new area to the existing areas? What new attractions will eventually be built for it?

D

Deleted member 107043

Please tell me how it isn't bad show to have the huge letters OVER THE TOP of the supposedly lightning struck area.

I've noticed that detail too and wondered why it never seems to come up in discussions. Goes to show how biased many of these opinions are. I doubt if many of the popular fixtures in the parks could withstand the intense online fan scrutiny if they were opening today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Travel Junkie

So what, in your opinion, has been a miss lately?
Where Star Wars Land is going, Club 33 redo, closure of Court of Angels to the general public, Matterhorn redo, Season of the Force execution in TL minus Hyperspace Mountain, WOC Celebrate. Given time I could think of more. Hits include PTN, DL Forever,new Alice upgrades, Hyperspace Mountain, Viva Navidad and more. As I said mixed.

Everyone can have an opinion...but those opinions can still be wrong.
Only if based on incorrect facts. That's not the case here.

Who is blindly accepting anything?

You are blindly accepting the GOTG change will be better without being able to experience it. You already said it.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You are blindly accepting the GOTG change will be better without being able to experience it. You already said it.

I am making a logical assumption. The current attraction isn't that great. It is extremely flawed. Is Joe Rohde and team going to come through and make it better, even by a little bit? I would say yes. I do not need to have experienced the new attraction to feel confident about this.

As I stated, my concern is not the attraction itself but about the area surrounding it.

Californian Elitist

So only locals should get to go to DL? There are millions of first time visitors to DL that have never seen ToT and the huge letters, so the fact that they are gone will not matter to them one whit. That it matters so much to you amazes me.

Where and when did I say there are never any new guests that visit Disneyland? Point to me in the exact post, please.

So because there will always be a fresh pair of eyes exploring the DLR, that gives Disney an excuse to have bad show? Pay attention to what you just said. What sense does that make? Shouldn't that be one of the reasons why it SHOULDN'T have bad show? You're making up an excuse for Disney to slack off.

This is literally the first time I've personally seen you in the Disneyland forum, so I'm not sure if you visit a lot or if you've visited at all, but honestly it doesn't sound like you have; your comment is very WDW-ish. I've never been to WDW myself, but all I read about on this forum is how the guest demographic allows TDO to get away with things out in Orlando, how the international guests coming for "once in a lifetime trips" won't notice the problems and so TDO doesn't offer new things, keep maintence up, etc. The Disneyland guest demographic is not like that at all. When I worked in Fantasyland, I had multiple guests on different occasions, locals/regulars, let me know if there were any special effects that weren't working, if they heard weird noises in the ride, if there was trash in the queue or if one of the trash cans had to be emptied, etc. Guests DO notice things.

It is the principle of the matter.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Where and when did I say there are never any new guests that visit Disneyland? Point to me in the exact post, please.
It was implied, not stated. Sorry if that is an error on my part.

So because there will always be a fresh pair of eyes exploring the DLR, that gives Disney an excuse to have bad show? Pay attention to what you just said. What sense does that make? Shouldn't that be one of the reasons why it SHOULDN'T have bad show? You're making up an excuse for Disney to slack off.
Again I will say that we agree to disagree. You say it is bad show, and I and many others here, disagree with you. I have to ask again - what makes you think that you are the expert on what is good and bad show? Just because you visit there a lot? Just because you used to work there? So what? It is all still just your opinion.

This is literally the first time I've personally seen you in the Disneyland forum, so I'm not sure if you visit a lot or if you've visited at all, but honestly it doesn't sound like you have; your comment is very WDW-ish. I've never been to WDW myself, but all I read about on this forum is how the guest demographic allows TDO to get away with things out in Orlando, how the international guests coming for "once in a lifetime trips" won't notice the problems and so TDO doesn't offer new things, keep maintence up, etc. The Disneyland guest demographic is not like that at all. When I worked in Fantasyland, I had multiple guests on different occasions, locals/regulars, let me know if there were any special effects that weren't working, if they heard weird noises in the ride, if there was trash in the queue or if one of the trash cans had to be emptied, etc. Guests DO notice things.

It is the principle of the matter.
Just because I don't post here very often means nothing. Yes, I have been to DL. And guess what. It has all the same issues as people claim that WDW has. Since you have never been to WDW, you will have to make your own assessment when you finally visit. But let me tell you this - it is NOWHERE NEAR as bad as people here make it out to be. A lot of them posting about how bad it is haven't even been there recently. They're just jumping on the bandwagon.

Having been to WDW recently, and many times over the last 40 years, the parks are looking great. Maintenance is being performed. The parks are clean. You jump on the one picture of an overflowing trash can with no context provided. Was it right after a parade and the CMs had to wait to get it cleaned up for safety reasons? Same with the restrooms. We have never seem them in the conditions reported - ever, and I'll bet that if it was bad - it was cleaned shorty afterwards. But the people with a doom&gloom agenda don't want you to know that. They act like WDW is a pig sty with falling apart attractions - and that simply isn't true. The folks at TDO don't "get away" with anything that TDA doesn't as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom