Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

dweezil78

I also know a lot of people who prefer WDW's Pirates, while I think they should replaced that with Guardians if people don't mind ill-fitting attractions replacing "inferior" copies of original attractions.

There are so many flaws in your logic and comparison to what's going on in DCA, but I'm guessing you probably already know that...

mickEblu

We actually prefer the DCA version. I love the opening/ending moments of the car's movement and how it bookends the experience, I love the tighter script and darker narration, I love the drop scare that comes at the end of the revamped Hallway scene. The original looks amazing, but the ride has a lot of dead air and the 5th Dimension Room is clunky in execution even if amazing in design.

I'm not surprised many people like the WDW Tower more as the facade and queue are incredible and the ride is about half a minute longer, but it just doesn't hold up. I also know a lot of people who prefer WDW's Pirates, while I think they should replaced that with Guardians if people don't mind ill-fitting attractions replacing "inferior" copies of original attractions.

I agree. I haven't been in person but I made the some deductions by watching the ride through video of WDWs version. It felt like the ride experience is tighter and flows better at DCA.

D

Deleted member 107043

We get it, you will defend disney to your ever dying breath and that's wonderful.

The ultimate defense of Disney's decisions is paying for the privilege of clicking through its turnstiles. Those of you locals who are here berating folks for not being bothered by a temporary bit of bad show might want to think about that the next time you visit. Glass houses and all that.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I agree. I haven't been in person but I made the some deductions by watching the ride through video of WDWs version. It felt like the ride experience is tighter and flows better at DCA.
Sorry, but ride videos do nothing. There is no way you can make an informed decision until you have ridden it in person. I have ridden both, and the WDW version is better. I will absolutely agree that the DL version of POTC is better. But not ToT.

Edit to add: this is only my opinion, and I understand people have differing views, and they are entitled to them.

dweezil78

Sorry, but ride videos do nothing. There is no way you can make an informed decision until you have ridden it in person. I have ridden both, and the WDW version is better. I will absolutely agree that the DL version of POTC is better. But not ToT.

It's kind of a subjective thing to be fair... But in general, the DCA ToT always felt abbreviated and shortchanged. Is it tighter? Sure, I guess... but only because there's literally two super quick things that happen and you're on your way to dropping. IMO ToT shouldn't be a "tight" experience. What makes the original so good is its pacing and build up. The way you slowly snake your way through the 5th dimension and gradually work your way to the randomized drop sequence is far more pulse pounding than the way it just happens in DCA.

Also, I feel like the 5th dimension -- out of any of the on-ride sequences -- is the closest in vibe to what Twilight Zone is all about. You're in an elevator that is all of a sudden moving forward through a hallway!? It completely goes against convention. It's weird, bizarre, and screws with your head -- especially when you are a first-time rider and not sure what to expect. Why are we moving forward? When the heck are we going to drop? What is happening here!? It's the standout sequence of any version of the attraction, I really love it and was so sad when ours opened with out it.

mickEblu

Edit to add: this is only my opinion, and I understand people have differing views, and they are entitled to them.

I tend to agree that it's difficult to formulate a complete opinion without having ridden it in person. However, it is interesting to me that @Professortango1 has ridden it in person and has the same views. When it comes to the show scenes in the first shaft at WDW / only shaft at DCA, I think it's clear to me, at least, that DCAs version is just tighter and flows better. The 5th dimension scene seems like something that can be better appreciated in person. However, it does seem to break up the flow as opposed to building up anticipation.

PorterRedkey

100% agree. The moment your car moves from the elevator shaft into the 5th Dimension, wow! That is the big moment. DL had an extra show scene, but you really can't underestimate the forward movement of the RV.
Now saying that, I still think that ToT at DL is worth saving. I wouldn't want to get rid of WDW's Pirates for a Dr. Strange (my personal comic hero) ride. Even if our PotC is inferior to DL's.

DL's ToT - you will be missed.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I tend to agree that it's difficult to formulate a complete opinion without having ridden it in person. However, it is interesting to me that @Professortango1 has ridden it in person and has the same views. When it comes to the show scenes in the first shaft at WDW / only shaft at DCA, I think it's clear to me, at least, that DCAs version is just tighter and flows better. The 5th dimension scene seems like something that can be better appreciated in person. However, it does seem to break up the flow as opposed to building up anticipation.
Read @dweezil78 post above and you'll understand what I was talking about. He put it very well.

dweezil78

However, it does seem to break up the flow as opposed to building up anticipation.

Best thing I can say to this is -- imagine yourself as a first-time rider who only knows that at some point you are going to DROP. The 5th dimension does an incredible job building up anticipation. Like you said, hard to appreciate without seeing it in person. When you go into WDW's spoiler-free without any idea of what to expect, it's such a cool thing to experience.

mickEblu

Best thing I can say to this is -- imagine yourself as a first-time rider who only knows that at some point you are going to DROP. The 5th dimension does an incredible job building up anticipation. Like you said, hard to appreciate without seeing it in person. When you go into WDW's spoiler-free without any idea of what to expect, it's such a cool thing to experience.

Makes sense. So would you say then that DCA's version was better for locals /repeat visitors and WDWs better for first timers?

PorterRedkey

Wait til you get to ride it to post your opinions on said rides.

The 5th Dimension scene adds to the anticipation. If you know about the drop, then you have more time to think about it as you slowly move toward the drop chamber. Then, once you are in the new shaft, you hear the narration and you wait. Wait... Wait... AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I hope you get to ride the WDW version soon!

Phroobar

The ultimate defense of Disney's decisions is paying for the privilege of clicking through its turnstiles. Those of you locals who are here berating folks for not being bothered by a temporary bit of bad show might want to think about that the next time you visit. Glass houses and all that.
That is like Raven saying she will not step foot into Star Wars land but as far as Disney is concerned, her presence in the park supports SWL.

mickEblu

100% agree. The moment your car moves from the elevator shaft into the 5th Dimension, wow! That is the big *** moment. DL had an extra show scene, but you really can't underestimate the forward movement of the RV.
Now saying that, I still think that ToT at DL is worth saving. I wouldn't want to get rid of WDW's Pirates for a Dr. Strange (my personal comic hero) ride. Even if our PotC is inferior to DL's.

DL's ToT - you will be missed.

I agree that the forward motion of the elevator is a big WOW moment. I think it's the end of 5th dinension scene where there is a disconnect for me as you can hear the ride vehicle moving into the shaft for the thrill portion.

dweezil78

Makes sense. So would you say then that DCA's version was better for locals /repeat visitors and WDWs better for first timers?

Nah... I still think WDW's is better under any circumstances. The whole thing is just absolutely dripping with detail and awesomeness. I was just saying that the 5th Dimension is particularly cool for first-timers, but even if it's your 100th ride it's still an amazing sequence and the whole car always gets into the build-up that segment provides. You can just feel the tension from everyone, it's great.

Two other little things I really love about WDW's version that don't seem big, but for me, go a long way --
  1. There's no hallway separating the elevator doors and the elevator. Doors open, you walk right in... Boom. The hallway at DCA just instantly reinforces the fact that it's a theme park ride and not a real elevator.
  2. You exit the elevator in a completely different place. The whole thing literally turns around and lets you out somewhere different than where you began. It always bothered me that the bellhop dude sends you on your way at DCA and then like 3 minutes later is all, 'Oh hey, did you enjoy your stay?' WDW does a good job of disorienting you and making you wonder how you got there.

PorterRedkey

I agree that the forward motion of the elevator is a big WOW moment. I think it's the end of 5th dinension scene where there is a disconnect for me as you can hear the ride vehicle moving into the shaft for the thrill portion.
Did you hear it moving into the shaft on the video you watched?

Also, WDW's ToT has random drop sequences, which the DCA version did not have. However, the random drop sequences will be a part of the new ride.

mickEblu

Wait til you get to ride it to post your opinions on said rides.

The 5th Dimension scene adds to the anticipation. If you know about the drop, then you have more time to think about it as you slowly move toward the drop chamber. Then, once you are in the new shaft, you hear the narration and you wait. Wait... Wait... AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I hope you get to ride the WDW version soon!

I don't think there is anything wrong with stating an opinion as long as one is clear in saying that they have not experienced the attraction in person and basing it off of a video.

And yes I hope to ride it soon! I don't have the greatest confidence that WDWs will be around for much longer.

PorterRedkey

I don't think there is anything wrong with stating an opinion as long as one is clear in saying that they have not experienced the attraction in person and basing it off of a video.

And yes I hope to ride it soon! I don't have the greatest confidence that WDWs will be around for much longer.
I wasn't trying to be mean, just a rule I follow myself. I can see doing it with a show, maybe, but a ride needs to be experienced.
I can give you my rating of Gringott's or Forbidden Journey, but since I won't ride them til next week I am just relying on videos. Why would my opinion be valid? What could I add to the discussions of people who have actually experienced those rides? Not much in my opinion.

On an end note... Ride while you can! I hope that is a joke.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom