Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

dweezil78

The most cohesive theme (and that's held very loosely) would be a New York streetscape.

Though if they're going to have to split the land into two areas, the other side (GotG end) could have almost an outer space theme.

I have to imagine, after the crazy elaborate detail of Carsland and Star Wars that WDI has something fairly cool cooked up for Marvel -- either that or they are planning on retaining the 'studios' theme and simply switching from Hollywood Studios to something like Superhero Studios (since they can't use the Marvel name).

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That's all I have too. Of course, a cityscape with an outer space warehouse in the middle.

There are ways they can make it work, I am sure...the bigger concern for me would be the transitions to the other areas of the park.

Earl Sweatpants

I have to imagine, after the crazy elaborate detail of Carsland and Star Wars that WDI has something fairly cool cooked up for Marvel -- either that or they are planning on retaining the 'studios' theme and simply switching from Hollywood Studios to something like Superhero Studios (since they can't use the Marvel name).
Can't they? I thought that legality only applied east of the Mississippi.

I would hope they have thought this through well enough to make something cohesive and not disjointed. Personally I would find the idea of a "Superhero Studios" to be amateur at best.

SSG

Can't they? I thought that legality only applied east of the Mississippi.

I would hope they have thought this through well enough to make something cohesive and not disjointed. Personally I would find the idea of a "Superhero Studios" to be amateur at best.
As I understand it, DLR can use the characters but not the Marvel name. Which is why we had Superhero HQ and not a Marvelized named.

dweezil78

I didn't say Disney was evil, and I don't think I alluded to that.

The ride is still open. Guests are being allowed into the attraction to experience it, whether the lights are on or not. Disney is still advertising the ride, not only on the website, but with commercials as well. There are no excuses and it's still bad show.

My perspective of the situation is different from yours because I used to work attractions at Disneyland, and maintaining good show was drilled into us. Any sort of element that was considered a big part of show that wasn't working required for us to shut down the attraction.

No excuses.

Right, but nothing is broken here and being left unattended to by CMs. There's a giant, very aggressive time-sensitive construction project in the works during one of the busiest times of the year. It's much more akin to your favorite attraction remaining open while it's covered with a tacky scrim than what is generally considered "bad show."

SSG

That's just ridiculous. As if anyone doesn't know that they're Marvel characters.
The Marvel/Universal contract is available through the SEC webpage. It says:

"East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing."

Californian Elitist

Right, but nothing is broken here and being left unattended to by CMs. There's a giant, very aggressive time-sensitive construction project in the works during one of the busiest times of the year. It's much more akin to your favorite attraction remaining open while it's covered with a tacky scrim than what is generally considered "bad show."

It doesn't necessarily have to be something that mechanically isn't working. No signage is still bad snow.

Earl Sweatpants

The Marvel/Universal contract is available through the SEC webpage. It says:

"East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing."
Yeah, I just did a little reading up on the subject...

It makes sense for Universal to keep their hands tightly secured on the Marvel name (to spite Disney mostly) and to make the most use of the characters they do hold ties to. But even in making sense, its still pretty annoying.

dweezil78

It doesn't necessarily have to be something that mechanically isn't working. No signage is still bad snow.

Ok...so, removing any opinion/emotion about the change to GotG re-theme, in this instance -- knowing that construction just is what it is and pretty strict timelines are in motion, do you think closing ToT instead of leaving it open would have been the better decision? Honestly curious..

IMO, the two biggest factor that kind of messed this up from a marketing/promotional perspective was 1) The need to announce this at Comic Con, which I totally understand them wanting to do and 2) Probably even moreso, wanting to keep ToT going thru Halloween/holiday season, which I also understand. This unfortunately required them to keep the attraction running at the same time construction began and created awkward situations like having to remove the sign and work on the exterior while keeping the attraction open.

Ultimately it's less than ideal, but a very understandable decision and not something I'd chalk up to as 'bad show' -- just bad timing.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Sorry, compared to the WDW version, it isn't a loss. And no one has any idea about whether the new version might actually be better than the current one. NO ONE.

I don't disagree. It is inferior compared to DHS's version. But when DLR is your "home park" like it is for some, I can understand why they are upset.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I don't disagree. It is inferior compared to DHS's version. But when DL is your "home park" like it is for some, I can understand why they are upset.
Again why? So an attraction is changing. Attractions change all the time. Like I said, the new one might be miles better than the old one. We won't know until we get to ride it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom