Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

PiratesoftheHM

True. Which points to Hollywoodland being much reduced or going away completely to make way for Marvel.

It's not going completely away, and it still will tower over Disney California Adventure. The Space power plant fortress thing in California. It makes no sense in the context of Hollywoodland/Red Car Trolley or the park as a whole.

SSG

It's not going completely away, and it still will tower over Disney California Adventure. The Space power plant fortress thing in California. It makes no sense in the context of Hollywoodland/Red Car Trolley or the park as a whole.
1. I tend to agree that Hollywoodland will stick around in some form, but who knows what the final plan will look like? Would Hollywoodland going away completely surprise anyone at this point?

2. I wouldn’t be too attached to the ‘California’ in the name; Disney sure isn’t.

3. Going by the insider rumors on WDWMagic and MiceChat—which have been pretty accurate on Star Wars, the Tower and Marvel—this is the start of a Marvel based land. This leads me to believe that Disney is concerned with the re-themed Tower fitting into a Marvel theme, not a California theme.

SSG

As long as the park remains inside California, they can get away with using the name to their own ends. Even if they make absolutely no sense whatsoever.
The merits of the California theming is a well-covered debate, but IMO it’s pretty clear Disney decided to not be married to the concept. It probably would have been best if Disney completely re-named the park, in that case, but in the end, it’s just a name that can mean whatever Disney wants

GiveMeTheMusic

TDA had two options.

Close the ride in September, or let people continue to ride until January while they work on the facade early. They thought guests would appreciate being able to ride the attraction a few months longer and went that route instead.

The amount of exterior work required for the new ride is extensive and can't be accomplished in the Jan - May timeframe. It's no secret to readers of this board that the changes would start in September. Scaffolding will be coming soon.

The whole shock and surprise of this is what surprises me - did anyone think they'd be able to get the outside finished in four months? This way you can at least ride the attraction - it could just be sitting here empty at this point, which was the original plan.

FerretAfros

Remember way back in 2004 before TOT opened, when Disney thought that the sign was such a crucial element of the building that they held a special event just to light it for the first time?

It had "comedian" Gallagher (of watermelon smashing fame) and some people who can scream especially loudly. It was basically just a way to drum up some publicity 3 months before the attraction opened, but they kept the sign lit after that as a reminder of what was coming. It's so strange to think that the sign has since been deemed so insignificant that should be one of the first things removed from the façade

gallagher-tower_of_terror-david_michael.jpg

screamer-tower_of_terror-david_michael.jpg

https://www.mouseplanet.com/6494/Disneyland_Park_Update

And as a bonus, it appears that these throwback photo credits go to @Darkbeer1 !

GiveMeTheMusic

Most of us knew this was coming, but it hurts to see it actually happening. Furthermore, the ride shouldn't have closed at all.

I disagree (respectfully of course) - TOT at DCA is not a good attraction. It's cheaply done and light on theming. The exterior is hideous. It doesn't hold a candle to its Florida or Japan cousins (poor Paris got the same awful version we did). GOTG will be a much better ride that takes better advantage of the ride system, and the Marvel attractions coming to surround it will be great as well. I am not sold on the new exterior however, and I hope it looks better than the very unpromising concept art.

It's not going to remain "Hollywood" where TOT is for long, so the tears for theme will be short-lived. Hollywood Land/Pictures Backlot has been a dismal failure since 2001, and it seems the best way to move forward is to junk the failed "studios" concept completely. At least at DCA the studios theme was contained to one land. DHS and WDS have long roads ahead of them in remedying the mistakes of the past.

It's so strange to think that the sign has since been deemed so insignificant that should be one of the first things removed from the façade

The sign had to be removed to begin work on the facade. It has nothing to do with its significance or lack thereof.

D

Deleted member 107043

Had they closed the ride to renovate the exterior while the ride was still operable the fan faithful would have probably complained that Disney should have kept the attraction open as long as possible.

Let's face it, there's nothing Disney can do at this point to completely please the die-hards and drive its long-term business strategy. So it's not surprising that the company barrels ahead with the integration of key IP assets into DLR. Disney management likely assumes that by this time next year the ToT transformation will be forgotten and you guys will have found some new thing to be angry about. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

SpaceMountain75

The thing I can't figure out is what they're going to do with the Red Car Trolley. Is it just going to run past Marvel Land and the new space-themed Tower? Before I would have thought this to be completely improbable, but given Disney's recent displays of what they care about cohesive theming, I'm nervous.

GiveMeTheMusic

The thing I can't figure out is what they're going to do with the Red Car Trolley. Is it just going to run past Marvel Land and the new space-themed Tower? Before I would have thought this to be completely improbable, but given Disney's recent displays of what they care about cohesive theming, I'm nervous.

The monorail wraps around the Matterhorn, which is thematically dubious. Transport at Disney parks is a magical experience that can transcend theme, so the red car doesn't particularly concern me.

Earl Sweatpants

Bottom line here is that despite our grumblings over this, people will still line up to ride the new attraction. Your basic average park attender probably doesn't give a rip one way or the other about theming or adhering to "tradition" or what ever you want to call it, they just want to ride the drop! Execs know this, and so to them, they'll gladly take upsetting the few, in favor of pleasing the majority, any day.

ctrlaltdel

I hope there is still a Hollywood area after the Marvel transformation is done. The backlot was very poorly done, but the Old Hollywood section isn't bad IMO. As was stated in other threads a little while back, that would be a great place for the Mickey attraction, which would add some counterbalance to what I assume will be the thrill rides Marvel is bringing to that area of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom