1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by wdwmagic, Jul 23, 2016.

1. BrianLo

BrianLo Well-Known Member

First, yes I am a fan of some of the what people are calling "original" WED attractions. However, I don't totally agree with this entire moral superiority over something spring boarding from a movie versus something from a general genre.

There is a right way of doing things though and a wrong way. Marketing deciding to mandate a quick change for a few bucks obviously is not an original. At the opposite end of the spectrum I find it extremely hard to turn around and say Tony Baxter's vision for DLP wasn't original because he threw Tomorrowland and the Jules Verne's IP into a blender. The Nautilus walk through doesn't suddenly lose its lustre because he didn't reinvent the entire wheel from scratch and write his own story about a steam punk oceaneer. I don't look to Indy and think this isn't as original of an attraction as Pirates because someone produced a movie of it first. Likewise I don't look to Mysterious Island and think it is bogged down in its tie to literature.

The same things apply in my mind to an IP when imagineers are actually let loose to create something from scratch, just because there is an end goal request (i.e. please make a cake, or use Star Wars) doesn't suddenly mean the process can't be as original as them spontaneously deciding to make a cake on their own. The problem is when the recipe itself starts being passed from on high, not the IP request.

People are laser focused on the IP, that's really not the main issue though. It's when the creative reins are too ham fisted to save a few bucks.

2. dweezil78

dweezil78 Well-Known Member

I never said everything is IP or that generic IP was a thing. I just said projects that weren't tied to existing IP were often generic versions of things that already did exist. As someone noted previously, PotC could have just as easily been Treasure Island or any number of pirate movies from the 40s, 50s, and 60s with some small tweaks. 1958's 'The Buccaneer' , for example, is literally about Jean Lafitte...

3. egg

egg Well-Known Member

So the ride is outdated because the IP is outdated? What a terribly poor thought.
    A great attraction thrives on its own merit, and doesn't benefit from be carried on the shoulders of the latest and greatest franchise.

ToT is/was one of those. In fact, it's such a good ride that many people who've never been to a Disney park know of the Tower of Terror. It's thrived on its own merit. Similarly, hardly anyone knows what Song of the South is, but Splash Mountain is a popular ride. These rides have become their own IP.

By your logic, I guess Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, the Haunted Mansion, the Matterhorn, the Jungle Cruise, and, Soarin' are all dated, since they don't have any latest and greatest movie IP. They're definitely NOT among the most popular rides... no... of course not!
    :banghead:

4. mickEblu

mickEblu Well-Known Member

No wonder I never saw any teenagers in line. ;).

5. Jones14

Jones14 Well-Known Member

Ask any teenager what the Tower of Terror is and they'll know exactly what you're talking about.

6. Kram Sacul

Kram Sacul Well-Known Member

ToT had two scenes with two really nice sets that included projections, lighting effects and wind. For Mission: Break Dance not to come up with anything more elaborate than slightly dressed screens is embarrassing. It's like the Imagineers really wanted to use a motion simulator like Star Tours but were unable to so they shoe-horned that experience into ToT.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    PiratesoftheHM and mickEblu like this.
  7. yookeroo

yookeroo Well-Known Member

Probably most adults won't either.

8. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

Ecclesiastes 1:9-10

Bill Cipher and DisneyIrishGuy like this.
  9. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

Dr. Hans Reinhardt Well-Known Member

*backs away from the computer*

10. Curious Constance

Curious Constance Well-Known Member

I'd follow you

TP2000 likes this.
  11. Curious Constance

I think you just coined a new dance. I want to learn to Beak Dance!!!

12. Curious Constance

I just wanted to say, that while I may not always agree with you, I sincerely appreciate your demeanor and ability to always discuss differences of opinion in a positive manner. I value you as a member of this community :)

13. thealmightyvance

thealmightyvance Well-Known Member

Can't wait to get my groove on, marvel style, on May 27th. :)

14. Curious Constance

They might know what you're talking about, but they will roll their eyes and look at you like you're crazy, regardless.

#ihaveateenagedaughternow #wasithisbad?
    #helpme

15. thealmightyvance

thealmightyvance Well-Known Member

I have a question why are so many people outraged (especially micechat forums) that there is no AP or Cast Member preview? If micechat never mentioned those "rumors" of the preview dates (which people unfortunately thought it was official, but didn't keep in mind it was a rumor) then I doubt there would be outrage. Just because you see a rumor, don't get mad when you find out it wasn't true.

When people saw this rumor (then the rumor not being true) and heard about Disney charging for a preview party, they immediately connected both together and complained that Disney was greedy.
    Keep in mind that micechat rumors consisted of the walls coming down on the 2nd or whatever, but come to find out it didn't come down until more than a week or so later. There could be many reasons why Disney didn't do the preview (personally I think it's because of time, and they probably are going to be very close to the opening date).

The problem here is micechat is #fakenews, and spreader around false information to get people angered at Disney when they find out the rumor wasn't true.

(Excuse my grammar errors, I'm typing on the phone and am super tired)

FerretAfros and DisneyIrishGuy like this.
  16. Curious Constance

Haven't we heard of cast members already riding? So they must be doing some previews.

17. Hatbox Ghostbuster

Hatbox Ghostbuster Well-Known Member

You are right, and I never intended to create a false moral superiority of "original" attractions.

To me, Indy is one of the best rides the park has. I've also ridden it's "original" clone at WDW and enjoyed it slightly less. I'm all for IP attractions that are done well and show off the truest extent of the imagineers creativity.

It would just irk me though if management feels that in order for an attraction to be successful, it must slap guests in the face with (fill in the blank latest box office smash).

18. Hatbox Ghostbuster

Hatbox Ghostbuster Well-Known Member

Well thank you! It is a lot of fun reading all the differing opinions on here and contributing what I can.

19. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm confused about that too. If there are no CM Previews, how are all these CM's (I assume they are CM's) riding the ride and then Tweeting about it this past week?

DisneyIrishGuy likes this.
  20. Icebergtip

Icebergtip Well-Known Member

Hourly CM's were not given the opportunity to ride. It may likely be due to recent leaks. Salaried CM's were allowed to ride with strict pinky swears not to talk about it. The tweets are probably coming from people with active imaginations.