1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by wdwmagic, Jul 23, 2016.

1. LuvtheGoof

LuvtheGoof Proud DVC Member Premium Member

You know, I just went and checked. There hasn't been an attraction built in DL that WASN'T IP related since 1979 when BTMRR opened. Not one that I can see. So I think the pendulum swung the IP way a LONG time ago, and y'all just didn't seem to realize it.

Dr. Hans Reinhardt likes this.
  2. Hatbox Ghostbuster

Hatbox Ghostbuster Well-Known Member

Don't discount DCA though. Soarin', Grizzly River, etc.

TheOrangeBird01 likes this.
  3. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

I love the Twilight Zone but you would surprised how many people don't know what Star Wars is too.

Cesar R M and TheOrangeBird01 like this.
  4. LuvtheGoof

True, and AK had EE, but those are the exceptions in the last 30 years - not the norm.

5. Hatbox Ghostbuster

People never fail to blow my mind.

phruby likes this.
  6. Hatbox Ghostbuster

If I had to guess...I would say that around that time most of the focus for Disney was in WDW with Epcot upcoming and MK not even a decade old. Its crazy to realize that though.

7. truecoat

truecoat Well-Known Member

In Hong Kong they added Mystic Manor and Big Grizzly Mountain. Shanghai opened with Roaring Rapids but it's been sparse hear since EE.

8. LuvtheGoof

And that isn't much, is it. Again, it's been decades since there were more non-IP attractions that IP attractions.

Dr. Hans Reinhardt likes this.
  9. raven24

raven24 Well-Known Member

So if it doesn't bother you, why make smart alecky comments and complain about some of us being so negative?

Kram Sacul and lazyboy97o like this.
  10. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

I was wondering that too.

And it appears the "reviews" people are talking about are just stuff like that; vague and rather pointless Tweets from the Tweeter.

There's no proof the Tweeter people have even been on the ride, they are just parroting what they've heard to keep their Tweet followers thinking they are still cool.

I could write a Twitter review for Guardians of the Galaxy too. Here's my review;

OMG just rode Guardians of the Galaxy and it is AMAZING! Kinda made me nauseous but Rocket made me laff! But where's the physical sets? #TP2000 #SoFancy #TheSportCoatMakesTheMan

11. LuvtheGoof

I'm just a smart aleck all the time, so why should in here be any different. :cool: In addition, I'm just trying to understand WHY y'all are so negative all the time. I will be the first to admit that I do not like everything that TWDC has done over the last 40 years that I have been going to Disney parks, but there have been loads of things that I have liked as well, and I simply concentrate on those, instead of the negative side. Guess I'm more of a glass half-full type of person, rather than the glass is empty type of people that seem to inhabit the DL threads. Sorry if my being a smart aleck upsets you - as that is not my intent at all.

12. Hatbox Ghostbuster

that is 100% the trouble with social media. I can post either the most glowing or the harshest "review" of something (yelp comes to mind) and people are most likely going to take me at my word.

In reading some of the other tweets, there was nothing concrete that communicated, "this person definitely rode it!" It's just the hype machine at work and everyone wants a turn in the spotlight.

Cesar R M, TheOrangeBird01 and TP2000 like this.
  13. Hatbox Ghostbuster

Some of us see the glass as being twice as big as it needs to be ;)

14. dweezil78

dweezil78 Well-Known Member

The majority before 1979 were also tied to existing IP - and if they weren't, were just generic versions of other IP from the time OR sponsored attractions that served as experiential commercials for brands. Prior to Pirates and HM, there were plenty of movies about pirates and haunted houses. It's not like either were entirely original ideas, they were just very well executed and immersive.

15. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Yes, if you strip the term intellectual property of all meaning, then you have a point.

TheOrangeBird01 likes this.
  16. dweezil78

Sorry, not really getting what you're trying to say here. I'm not defending projects based on pre-existing IP, just making an observation as to the history of Disney attractions. IP is literally just ownership of a creative concept/idea... it's all IP in the end.

17. DisneyIrishGuy

DisneyIrishGuy Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as an original idea. Everything is recycled.

“There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages.”

Mark Twain

For example I've always thought that Treasure Island (1950s Disney Film) was the jumping off point for PotC. In fact there is a section of the film that discusses stashing their treasure in caves.

18. dweezil78

Totally. I don't necessarily have anything against use of existing IP. I take more issue with either use of live action talent (people age - like Ellen & Bill Nye @ Epcot, characters are represented by different actors in different iterations) OR placing an attraction (existing IP or not) in a place where it doesn't belong. GotG potentially hits on both of those.

Spider-Man at IOA, on the other hand, works well because it is not tied directly to any iteration of the movies but rather it exists on its own -- more closely linked with the actual comics. I'm assuming Guardians will feature Chris Pratt most likely. 10, 15 years from now he will be older and have moved on from the franchise no doubt. This is probably why they're using screens... Kind of lame, but at least forward thinking?

19. 2351metalcloud

2351metalcloud Active Member

Old Disney tv shows and movies frequently fit in well with at least one or more things at Disneyland. Even the animals and nature films sometimes fit in well. You can look at the timeline of construction and the timeline for tv shows and movies produced and see tv shows or movies would sometimes be similar to a new attraction at the park (see the movie Third Man on the Mountain for an obvious example). The show 'Disneyland' was somewhat a commercial for the theme park.

http://www.finddisney.com/Timeline_Data.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_anthology_television_series_episodes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_anthology_television_series
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Pictures_films

20. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

The idea that everything is IP because pirates or haunted houses were already a known concept is nonsense that does not work with the actual definition of intellectual property. There is no such thing as "generic IP."

Donaldfan1934 and Kram Sacul like this.