News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I imagine there will be significant drainage work and land prep necessary before the start of construction.

Correct. We saw the permit recently for re-routing the canal back there and creating new drainage ponds. That permit was approved on June 6th so I would expect that work to start pretty soon.

Lora Baines Bradley

For people upset, I don't get the difference between using Ellen and Jeopardy to tell a story (both IPs in their own right) vs using a Marvel property. Especially when I believe we have no idea what this attraction will actually be. How do we know the core lessons about sustainability and eco friendly energy won't still be there?
Because we've all ridden Nemo and Frozenstrom. We know this is just an IP shoehorned in. We hope that it will have those ideas, but it will probably teach you about energy the same way Frozen teaches you about Norway, or Nemo, the ocean.

ToTBellHop

Correct. We saw the permit recently for re-routing the canal back there and creating new drainage ponds. That permit was approved on June 6th so I would expect that work to start pretty soon.
I would imagine this will progress like Star Wars Land. So about a year of pushing dirt around (and a lot of other uninteresting but important work) before actual ride construction can begin. It does beg the question of why Ellen needs to close so soon--I would imagine that is more due to pressure to get the ride offline (partially from Ellen herself) and put up a construction wall. I wouldn't be surprised to see walkaround characters at some point, too.

Actual construction for a ride of this scale from Fall 2018 to Spring 2021 is not unreasonable.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I would imagine this will progress like Star Wars Land. So about a year of pushing dirt around (and a lot of other uninteresting but important work) before actual ride construction can begin. It does beg the question of why Ellen needs to close so soon--I would imagine that is more due to pressure to get the ride offline (partially from Ellen herself) and put up a construction wall. I wouldn't be surprised to see walkaround characters at some point, too.

Actual construction for a ride of this scale from Fall 2018 to Spring 2021 is not unreasonable.

Same sort of thing that happened with the Back Lot Tour, closed long before it needed to be.

jmuboy

Let's wait to judge this until it opens please. Everyone was hating on Mission Breakout and then it opened and all of a sudden it was a masterpiece of imagineering. ;)
Ca adventure and Epcot aren't the same. One was a crap park made better with a loose theme. One was a masterpiece Disney is slowly destroying. Comparing Guardians in California adventure and Guardians in Epcot is like saying " well you can buy shoes at Walmart or Neiman Marcus, what's the difference???"

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The philosophy is the same. Six Flags views their parks as "themed" because of branded rides. Disney today views their parks as "themed" because of branded rides.
Right. HIGHLY localized themes. This tiny section of the park is "themed" to Guardians of the Galaxy. With no thought for an overarching theme. No thought for cohesion. No thought for place making.

It is what it is. Epcot and future world is now MK 2.0 or 3.0 depending how you view the former Studios park.

It's okay to mourn what was, and feel resentment towards what's replacing it. Everytime Chapek said families wanted more "Disney" in Epcot, I cringed.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

With UoE walled off, think of all the festival booths you can put in front of it!

montyz81

RIP EPCOT
Couldn't agree more, my memories from March 1983 will be harder to invoke in the new world order that is IPCOT.
This is almost at the Horizons destruction level!
Fingers crossed that SSE remains intact. Despite what everyone says, the lack of a sponsor really just set the alarm clock for the future-ecoimy of SSE.
0e3ac46c189c41ce6c674ed06526bdfd.jpg

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
All this thread proves is that Disney is never going to please everyone.

With that being said, get lawst Bob Chapek (have to keep it G-rated)
I don't think this particular thread proves that. They are shoehorning a recent IP into what was once the most forward thinking, most unique theme park in the country. This was never going to be universally loved.

drcasey

I'm probabaly in the minority here but I actually loved universe of energy, mostly because of the awesome animatronics. I remember them so fondly from my childhood. I recently watched GoTG thinking it was going to be this awesome movie because of all the hype, and I thought it was just about the worst movie I've seen in a long time! I know Epcot needs love, but imo this isn't the way to do it. I'm upset. That movie is awful

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom