News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Movielover

Cosmo (he was featured in the ending scenes in GOTG2). So.. its the most probable.

He was also in the first movie and in Mission: Breakout, so he is likely to show up.

An Ex Avenger ( Flash Thompson's Venom comes to mind)

Very unlikely, especially if its the Avenger version due to Universal's Contract.

An X-Men ( Kitty Pride had a big arc with the guardians, leading them )

Very unlikely, again because of Universal park wise and Fox film wise.

The Ravagers ( Stallone's crew )

Likely, don't know specifically about Stallone though.

Adam Warlock (he as always been related to the guardians and Thanos), also hinted in the movies

Possible, Gunn wants to use him for the third film which lines up close to the rides opening but they have not cast an actor yet, meaning he would be added late in the ride's construction.

Nova (Probably the reboot version with the kid, and the less likely to join since in this world the Nova forces are your every day unpowered chars when the Nova get annihilated)

Again, possible due to him being in the first movie's first draft plus the Nova Core ship in the concept art.

Bug ( They always had a quick fighter character, so it was either Mantis.. or Bug)

Might just stick with Mantis for now since she was just introduced, but maybe.

Quasar, Moondragon, Talon, YellowJacket (very low priority as they were only for a few series of books, like Kitty Pride and Flash Thompson)

Possible but they will probably stick with the current lineup since people recognizes the current team.

montyz81

43 months is a ridiculously long time for a single ride, but it is coinciding with an unprecedented amount of new construction in FL that WDW hasn't seen in over 10 years.
So just to put this all in perspective, Epcot Center took 3 years to build. On opening day that included: Spaceship Earth, UoE, WoM, LwtL, all of Communicore, Mexico, China, Germany,Italy, AA, Japan, France, England, and Canada and a completely new Monorail line plus all the relevant supporting infrastructure. Disney made $242m(2017 dollars) in 1982. They made $2.9billion in 2016. From where I sit it clearly feels like they have a heck of a lot more money now to support the man power to design, engineer and build all of these additions in a much narrower window. But then again, I am no finance expert, so with all the extra parks as well as the other business units, I may not be looking at all the key indicators correctly.

The thing that really sticks out to me here is that the quality feels light years ahead of where it is today, adjusting for the technology constraints they had in the late 70s early 80s. (example: Horizons had over 100 AAs and props, M:S has some video screens and two motion simulators). Disney is so much more "off the shelf" then customizing it for the ride these days. Just sad!

JohnD

I was going to say something about this last night....so you are not the only one who is thinking this.

I suspected at the time that this might have been a pre-planned 'magical moment' for the die hard fans that waited in that seperate line for the honor of having the 'last ride'.
Cast may have pulled this off...or it might have come from above them.
Even if it really was a unplanned breakdown ( one of the traveling theaters was known for having a bad battery pack ) the fact the Cast let them enjoy the prehistoric scenery up close was terrific.

Seriously, even though they only got as far as the diorama any UOE fan worth their salt would jump at the chance to be able to walk around in that historic room and be allowed to look over everything.

I personally thought that was a really nice gesture...and a really cool way to 'end' it's run.
Have it end with those who cared about it savoring it in a unique way.

:)

I agree. I think this was done on purpose. No one cares about the movies, just the dinosaurs. Watching that video earlier, the fan saying "Best ride ever!" pretty much summed it up.

Figment2005

So just to put this all in perspective, Epcot Center took 3 years to build. On opening day that included: Spaceship Earth, UoE, WoM, LwtL, all of Communicore, Mexico, China, Germany,Italy, AA, Japan, France, England, and Canada and a completely new Monorail line plus all the relevant supporting infrastructure. Disney made $242m(2017 dollars) in 1982. They made $2.9billion in 2016. From where I sit it clearly feels like they have a heck of a lot more money now to support the man power to design, engineer and build all of these additions in a much narrower window. But then again, I am no finance expert, so with all the extra parks as well as the other business units, I may not be looking at all the key indicators correctly.

The thing that really sticks out to me here is that the quality feels light years ahead of where it is today, adjusting for the technology constraints they had in the late 70s early 80s. (example: Horizons had over 100 AAs and props, M:S has some video screens and two motion simulators). Disney is so much more "off the shelf" then customizing it for the ride these days. Just sad!
Yes, they had 15 separate construction projects going that when completed would make up the park we know as Epcot. Each of those projects were within their own specific time line. The park as a whole was not one construction team so using that comparison is like apples to oranges.

A better comparison is between all the current projects being done; Tron, Guardians, Ratatouille, Mains Street theater, Space Restaurant, etc. Being completed in that 44 month time frame.

trainplane3

At least they used the original UoE symbol. I really hope the new ride does more then a passing tribute to UoE! More then what M:S did for Horizons. These old rides deserve better recognition!
Slightly off topic, On top of the Horizons symbol in the new preshow, it also says Brava Centuri right next to it. I really hope the new restaurant is called that. Imagine being in the restaurant and seeing an X-2 shuttle rocket by.

montyz81

Yes, they had 15 separate construction projects going that when completed would make up the park we know as Epcot. Each of those projects were within their own specific time line. The park as a whole was not one construction team so using that comparison is like apples to oranges.

A better comparison is between all the current projects being done; Tron, Guardians, Ratatouille, Mains Street theater, Space Restaurant, etc. Being completed in that 44 month time frame.
Fair Enough, but I'm not so sure I agree that it is apples to oranges. Some of the resources were shared across multiple projects. Not only that, the infrastructure was a dependency for most of these small projects.

Kman101

Fair Enough, but I'm not so sure I agree that it is apples to oranges. Some of the resources were shared across multiple projects. Not only that, the infrastructure was a dependency for most of these small projects.

And do these current projects REALLY take 40+ months or are they stretching costs out?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
To be fair, Test Track would have opened much earlier if it weren't for the problems that plagued it during testing. The construction did not take very long.

It depends on what you are trying to measure. If we are just trying to get an idea of build times, then yes it's not a good comparison, but if we are measuring the ability of a company to deliver a working ride, then technical problems that delay the opening should be considered.

WDWFREAK53

I hope Martin is just saying that it'll be done for the 50th and not that it will really take that long. Man, that's a long time for one attraction and maybe some nice groundwork around it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom