News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

montyz81

I just had another bad thought about all these changes. One of my favorite thing to do when at Epcot (by myself) is to sit and listen to the awesome instrumentals they play in FW. The entrance, the plaza, even close to the rides themselves. I become totally relaxed when I hear that music. The music has always had a distinct futuristic feel to it. It is inspiring and truly uplifting. I am not sure if that comes from the location or if it was indeed the music that generated that feeling or a combination of the two. That said, I spent some time listening to the GoTG movie score. I immediately felt like I was standing in line for the Hulk at IoA or Superman at Six Flag NE. Just not the feeling that I had ever expected to get when sitting at Epcot. This music could make its way into the common areas of FW. I am telling you, this park is feeling more and more like it will be Disney's version of IoA every day I read about the proposed/confirmed changes.

Movielover

I just had another bad thought about all these changes. One of my favorite thing to do when at Epcot (by myself) is to sit and listen to the awesome instrumentals they play in FW. The entrance, the plaza, even close to the rides themselves. I become totally relaxed when I hear that music. The music has always had a distinct futuristic feel to it. It is inspiring and truly uplifting. I am not sure if that comes from the location or if it was indeed the music that generated that feeling or a combination of the two. That said, I spent some time listening to the GoTG movie score. I immediately felt like I was standing in line for the Hulk at IoA or Superman at Six Flag NE. Just not the feeling that I had ever expected to get when sitting at Epcot. This music could make its way into the common areas of FW. I am telling you, this park is feeling more and more like it will be Disney's version of IoA every day I read about the proposed/confirmed changes.

That's because the score to the Guardians movies are insignificant, simply there to be action undertone. Writer/ Director James Gunn always planed to have the main emotion of music represented by Starlord's Walkman filled with songs that his mother gave him from the 60's and 70's. These songs were actually well planed out and not just randomly selected to "add flavor" to the film (looking at you Suicide Squad...). Take for example the 2 main songs in Volume 2. Brandy by the Looking Glass relates to Peter's desire to move away from his past and towards his future, finding someone to move on with. The Chain by Fleetwood Mac is the opposite, and represents Peter's desire to discover his father's identity. No spoilers here but as the film progresses both of these song are twisted away from their original meaning. Most of the other songs in the soundtrack serve as the backing to the emotional moments in the film. Tyler Bate's score to the films are perfectly fine, but was always playing second fiddle to the Awesome Mix's.

montyz81

That's because the score to the Guardians movies are insignificant, simply there to be action undertone. Writer/ Director James Gunn always planed to have the main emotion of music represented by Starlord's Walkman filled with songs that his mother gave him from the 60's and 70's. These songs were actually well planed out and not just randomly selected to "add flavor" to the film (looking at you Suicide Squad...). Take for example the 2 main songs in Volume 2. Brandy by the Looking Glass relates to Peter's desire to move away from his past and towards his future, finding someone to move on with. The Chain by Fleetwood Mac is the opposite, and represents Peter's desire to discover his father's identity. No spoilers here but as the film progresses both of these song are twisted away from their original meaning. Most of the other songs in the soundtrack serve as the backing to the emotional moments in the film. Tyler Bate's score to the films are perfectly fine, but was always playing second fiddle to the Awesome Mix's.
Saw that mix tape music too.. still doesn't fit in FW.

montyz81

Well music, like everything else, is subjective. I find it more appropriate than Jeopardy or anything from Food Rocks...
I agree on Jeopardy, it too was a bad addition to FW, but the music on the mixed tape and seriously has no business being in FW. I'll give you that the original music score could be put in there, but to my ears, it sounds like every other Marvel property. As you said, it is an "action undertone". That by definition sort of feels out of place in an area meant to inspire one to be creative, imaginative. It does inspire, I'll give it that, but not exactly the way I want it to inspire.

Movielover

I agree on Jeopardy, it too was a bad addition to FW, but the music on the mixed tape and seriously has no business being in FW. I'll give you that the original music score could be put in there, but to my ears, it sounds like every other Marvel property. As you said, it is an "action undertone". That by definition sort of feels out of place in an area meant to inspire one to be creative, imaginative. It does inspire, I'll give it that, but not exactly the way I want it to inspire.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree good sir! Now if you excuse me I'm going back to my tunes!

Headphones.gif

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You know what really chaps my hide? I've been listening to the original UoE show audio recently, and EVERY SINGLE energy source mentioned in it - Fossil fuels, solar, biomass, nuclear, geothermal, hydroelectric - is STILL RELEVANT TODAY!!! This pavilion, out of all the others, is one that could STILL truly inspire people to make the world a better place. Too bad the only inspiration for park and company execs these days is $$$, shareholders, and their bottom line. Better to throw out the old and put in the flavor of the month because... synergy and merchandising!!!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I see in your teaser it says "Rendered in full HD". Does this mean that all tributes from here on out will be 1080p vs 720p? Or will the UoE tribute be the only 1080p tribute for now? Regardless, looking forward to it!
1080 divx when warranted. The rest of the EPCOT Center re edits will be mainly 720 since the source material is even less than that.

It's a balancing act between quality and size; Ellen at full HD is 17 gig.

trainplane3

1080 divx when warranted. The rest of the EPCOT Center re edits will be mainly 720 since the source material is even less than that.

It's a balancing act between quality and size; Ellen at full HD is 17 gig.
I had a feeling the reason would be due to the source material. That's going to be fun uploading it to YoutTube. You can expect me seeding it asap, once it goes up.

No Name

Too bad the only inspiration for park and company execs these days is $$$, shareholders, and their bottom line.

They're a publicly-held company and they have a fiscal responsibility to their shareholders. They are supposed to make decisions that bring in the most money. There's no use in griping about that. The argument I genuinely make is that many of their recent decisions are bringing / will bring in less money, both short-term and long-term.

For example, building a land in DAK based on the world of Avatar is almost an undebatably-worse business decision than building something original. Dragons, Unicorns, Loch Ness monsters, Dodo birds, Dinosaurs, etc. resonate with the public more than the irrelevant franchise Avatar. And there would be no licensing fees, no royalties involved, etc. etc. On this topic, I think the parks do need a Marvel ride, but hurting the unifying theme of Epcot will have repercussions not dealt with if this was built in DHS instead. Replacing the Great Movie Ride instead of builing MMRR in addition, and therefore having Star Wars Land in a park with low ride capacity, will have repercussions. I could go on.

For me, it's less a personal case, and more a business case. I really think they're slowly but surely shooting themselves in the foot.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They're a publicly-held company and they have a fiscal responsibility to their shareholders. They are supposed to make decisions that bring in the most money. There's no use in griping about that. The argument I genuinely make is that many of their recent decisions are bringing in less money, both short-term and long-term.

For example, building a land in DAK based on the world of Avatar is almost an undebatably-worse business decision than building something original. Dragons, Unicorns, Loch Ness monsters, Dodo birds, resonate with the public far more than the irrelevant franchise Avatar. And there would be no licensing fees, no royalties involved, etc. etc. I think the parks need a Marvel ride, but hurting the unifying theme of Epcot will have repercussions not dealt with if this was built in DHS instead. Replacing the Great Movie Ride instead of builing MMRR in addition, and therefore having Star Wars Land in a park with low ride capacity, will have repercussions. I could go on.

For me, it's less a personal case, and more a business case. I really think they're slowly but surely shooting themselves in the foot.

But... but.. Avatar 2! Avatar 3!! AVATAR 4!!!! Think of the synergy, the merchandising opportunities!!!

On a more serious note - I cannot disagree with anything you wrote. The mindset of the ODT and the rest of P&R upper management is: rip-and-replace is cheaper than refurbishing. Something is expensive to run and/or needs some TLC? No can do, that costs too much money. Let's rip it out and replace it with a hot movie IP!!! GMR deserved better. Mickey deserves better.

I don't see GotG bringing in substantially more guests to Ipcot... err... Epcot, than a spruced up UoE would. But maybe someone with a brain (faulty as it can be at times) isn't the target audience anymore, it's the brain-dead device zombies who have the attention span of a gnat and willingly throw money at things like thrill rides because... it's "an experience!!!". Learning something and being inspired by an attraction are too high-brow and old-fashioned, I guess.

No Name

But... but.. Avatar 2! Avatar 3!! AVATAR 4!!!! Think of the synergy, the merchandising opportunities!!!

On a more serious note - I cannot disagree with anything you wrote. The mindset of the ODT and the rest of P&R upper management is: rip-and-replace is cheaper than refurbishing. Something is expensive to run and/or needs some TLC? No can do, that costs too much money. Let's rip it out and replace it with a hot movie IP!!! GMR deserved better. Mickey deserves better.

I don't see GotG bringing in substantially more guests to Ipcot... err... Epcot, than a spruced up UoE would. But maybe someone with a brain (faulty as it can be at times) isn't the target audience anymore, it's the brain-dead device zombies who have the attention span of a gnat and willingly throw money at things like thrill rides because... it's "an experience!!!". Learning something and being inspired by an attraction are too high-brow and old-fashioned, I guess.

You mention another thing that makes Avatar in DAK a poor business decision... the "synergy" (it's actually not synergy) only goes one way for Disney. The rest helps competitor Lightstorm Entertainment.

Apparently Mission Breakout and the summer of heroes bannerfest isn't bringing in the numbers Disney hoped for. Frozen Ever After didn't really boost attendance. I have many guesses as to why, but I think there will be a big lesson or two to be learned in the coming years. I just hope Disney learns them correctly.

Investment is good, they just have to invest in the right things.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You mention another thing that makes Avatar in DAK a poor business decision... the "synergy" (it's actually not synergy) only goes one way for Disney. The rest helps competitor Lightstorm Entertainment.

Apparently Mission Breakout and the summer of heroes bannerfest isn't bringing in the numbers Disney hoped for. Frozen Ever After didn't really boost attendance. I have many guesses as to why, but I think there will be a big lesson or two to be learned in the coming years. I just hope Disney learns them correctly.

Investment is good, they just have to invest in the right things.

"Why aren't Mission Breakout and Frozen Ever After boosting attendance numbers?!?!!"
"Maybe because guests don't want to "ride the movies"?
"YOU'RE FIRED!!! Someone find me a reason that means we keep putting movie IP into the parks!"

No Name

"Why aren't Mission Breakout and Frozen Ever After boosting attendance numbers?!?!!"
"Maybe because guests don't want to "ride the movies"?
"YOU'RE FIRED!!! Someone find me a reason that means we keep putting movie IP into the parks!"

And someone will make the Universal counterpoint. "Well look how they're succeeding!" To which I say "Well look."

Universal had their big break when they built a land based on a book series! Sure, there are movies, but the potter fanbase stems from books. Fast forward, and they most recently built a ride based on a talk show / comedian. Now, they're building a land based on a video game franchise. They have a multitude of their own issues, which I'd say are even more severe than Disney's, but at least they are targeting new markets better than Disney.

Disney's new stateside rides and announcements this past decade, with the exception of the Mickey ride, are all based on movie franchises. Maybe they're not targeting new markets. Something they should think about.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom