News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Dunston

So just to put this all in perspective, Epcot Center took 3 years to build. On opening day that included: Spaceship Earth, UoE, WoM, LwtL, all of Communicore, Mexico, China, Germany,Italy, AA, Japan, France, England, and Canada and a completely new Monorail line plus all the relevant supporting infrastructure. Disney made $242m(2017 dollars) in 1982. They made $2.9billion in 2016. From where I sit it clearly feels like they have a heck of a lot more money now to support the man power to design, engineer and build all of these additions in a much narrower window. But then again, I am no finance expert, so with all the extra parks as well as the other business units, I may not be looking at all the key indicators correctly.

The thing that really sticks out to me here is that the quality feels light years ahead of where it is today, adjusting for the technology constraints they had in the late 70s early 80s. (example: Horizons had over 100 AAs and props, M:S has some video screens and two motion simulators). Disney is so much more "off the shelf" then customizing it for the ride these days. Just sad!
I understand where you are coming from with the comparison to Epcot Center's speedy construction, but like you said at that time there were only two Disney parks, unlike the great amount of resorts there are internationally now. When there isn't the pressing urge to open the expensive park that's being built so it can pay for itself, it doesn't justify spending a huge fraction of one years earnings on expediting the opening of an attraction at a resort where a hugely expensive new land was just built and two more are simultaneously being worked on, not to mention a new expensive transportation system. Again, I agree that 3 and a half years is an extremely long time for an attraction to be completed, but there is practically a new Park's worth of new things being built at the same time. And I do not think that SPACE is just a simulator lol they had to build 4 centrifuges, which hasn't ever been done before in the parks.

One thing I am curious about is if TWDC is attempting to time this ride's opening with the inevitable Guardians Vol 3

ppete1975

So just to put this all in perspective, Epcot Center took 3 years to build. On opening day that included: Spaceship Earth, UoE, WoM, LwtL, all of Communicore, Mexico, China, Germany,Italy, AA, Japan, France, England, and Canada and a completely new Monorail line plus all the relevant supporting infrastructure. Disney made $242m(2017 dollars) in 1982. They made $2.9billion in 2016. From where I sit it clearly feels like they have a heck of a lot more money now to support the man power to design, engineer and build all of these additions in a much narrower window. But then again, I am no finance expert, so with all the extra parks as well as the other business units, I may not be looking at all the key indicators correctly.

The thing that really sticks out to me here is that the quality feels light years ahead of where it is today, adjusting for the technology constraints they had in the late 70s early 80s. (example: Horizons had over 100 AAs and props, M:S has some video screens and two motion simulators). Disney is so much more "off the shelf" then customizing it for the ride these days. Just sad!
Disneyland one year and one day........

Donaldfan1934

Yeah, made it myself. I've posted versions of it before. I asked then for corrections if anyone knows of any, and still willing to be corrected.

It was created to combat those who say it takes two year for a Potter Land and four years for Pandora. Well, yeah, if you round down half a year for Universal and round up half a year for Disney. If you do the opposite, they took exactly the same amount of time. :)
Very impressive. You did a great job. Although one thing I'm confused by the meaning of the "Y" symbols under the land section. Also, what would you consider to be a converted ride? You seem to be counting some rides I would consider to be converted as new.

montyz81

Disneyland one year and one day........
I'd like to see that put into perspective for the technology and time that it was built in. The technology used to build it and the technology used to run it was difficult to make work so I would expect that the relative time to build Disneyland using today's technology would make that 1 year 1 day number all the more impressive.

montyz81

Disney doesn’t help the perception of slowness by announcing projects so early, before construction can even really start.
That just makes me wonder why they really needed to shut down UoE so early. They could easily be working on the building in the back while allowing the ride to continue functioning (I use the term functioning loosely).

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That just makes me wonder why they really needed to shut down UoE so early. They could easily be working on the building in the back while allowing the ride to continue functioning (I use the term functioning loosely).

I believe someone on here mentioned it was essentially falling apart and they did not want to invest to fix the issues since it was going to be replaced anyways.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When streets of America closed, demolition started almost immediately.

It would be nice to see the same for UoE and TGMR.

Although for Mickey and Minnie, they're developing the tech right now, so, that might be a hold-up. And depending on what coaster they're getting for GotG, that could be something in development... are insiders haven't spilled the exact coaster tech yet except to say it'll be a launch.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

I believe someone on here mentioned it was essentially falling apart and they did not want to invest to fix the issues since it was going to be replaced anyways.

Yeah, it was literally falling apart in the last week and day.

By closing closing it, they won't be tempted to hold off construction because they're going to run it seasonally.

articos

A $100 photoshop purchase isn't exactly expensive. I'll ask in a different way.

The assumption is the attraction takes place in Epcot. Does the setting matter more than it does in DCA?
It's not just $100 in photoshop. You have to take into account the salary/time of the artist or the freelancer who did it, plus the time getting to that point. If they put something out that's public facing, there is thought behind it. That's all I feel comfortable saying on this for now. :)

ppete1975

I'd like to see that put into perspective for the technology and time that it was built in. The technology used to build it and the technology used to run it was difficult to make work so I would expect that the relative time to build Disneyland using today's technology would make that 1 year 1 day number all the more impressive.
But the limitations on hours, and labor are a lot more strict now. Also there were no guests in the way. They could do things now that would be illegal as far as labor laws. But when they were running out of time they hired more people, and worked around the clock. I totally feel they could do a ride in 6 months to a year in todays age. Not 4 years...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
When streets of America closed, demolition started almost immediately.

It would be nice to see the same for UoE and TGMR.

Although for Mickey and Minnie, they're developing the tech right now, so, that might be a hold-up. And depending on what coaster they're getting for GotG, that could be something in development... are insiders haven't spilled the exact coaster tech yet except to say it'll be a launch.

There have already been permits for the first phase of Mickey and Minnie, so I would expect work to start soon although we might not be able to see it.

rioriz

Unfortunately Energy closed this early due to its bleeding cost to run. With the complications of the ride new system causing a set back, Rat jumped the line. We could have almost 3 new attractions open in this park before this opens. That relieves the pressure some.

Plus with removal of props, filming, and redefining of the land around the ride, actual build time should be in the 2 year range. If put into perspective, the great amount of money being poured into this park in the mean time should suffice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom