News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

ToTBellHop

Personally, I would have enclosed it in reflective metal. Seems that would work well with the Future World East aesthetic. Why not have an aluminum box behind an aluminum tuna can next to an aluminum golf ball? The other obvious option was gift wrap and a bow that says "Epcot" or "Do Not Open 'Til 2021. No, really" so people stop asking.

jt04

I truly feel that is because Horizons is missing. The original layout felt cohesive to me. Even though the walking paths have not changed since 1982, the general layout now feels like it is messed up. The big blue box is going to make that worse. It's almost like Epcot has lost its feng shui. I know I am probably missing the true meaning of feng shui but hopefully, everyone gets my meaning. EC felt like it had a clear purpose (albeit through a 12-year-old's eyes), current Epcot does not (now 47 year old's eyes)

You underestimate Imagineering. I agree it doesn't resonate like it once did. I think that is because it inspired so much that surpassed it. That is why it needs a new mission statement. Or about 5 billion if they want to bring back the grandeur. Probably not getting 5 billion.

montyz81

You underestimate Imagineering. I agree it doesn't resonate like it once did. I think that is because it inspired so much that surpassed it. That is why it needs a new mission statement. Or about 5 billion if they want to bring back the grandeur. Probably not getting 5 billion.
Wasn't Bobby I spending $22B on Parks & Resorts. They could spare $5B of that for Epcot. :)

DanielBB8

I truly feel that is because Horizons is missing. The original layout felt cohesive to me. Even though the walking paths have not changed since 1982, the general layout now feels like it is messed up. The big blue box is going to make that worse. It's almost like Epcot has lost its feng shui. I know I am probably missing the true meaning of feng shui but hopefully, everyone gets my meaning. EC felt like it had a clear purpose (albeit through a 12-year-old's eyes), current Epcot does not (now 47 year old's eyes)
Feng Shui is certainly about placement of yourself and objects. It’s about balance, Yin and Yang. Five elements of wood, fire, earth, metal, and water. There’s a feng shui energy map with octagonal grid to identify different areas of space. My feeling is that building is outside of Epcot. Guests will not encounter the building since it’s outside of the park. This is where Disney makes a big sigh of relief.

montyz81

Where did that number come from? I am guessing that is globally. I'll be happy if Epcot gets 3 between now and the 50th (2032).
Yes it is globally and I was wrong, it is $24b.
New York Times article from Nov 2018 "Each of Disney’s six theme park resorts around the world is undergoing major expansion, along with Disney Cruise Line. Michael Nathanson, a longtime media analyst, estimates that Disney will spend $24 billion on new attractions, hotels and ships over the next five years. That’s more than Disney paid for Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm combined."

jt04

Yes it is globally and I was wrong, it is $24b.
New York Times article from Nov 2018 "Each of Disney’s six theme park resorts around the world is undergoing major expansion, along with Disney Cruise Line. Michael Nathanson, a longtime media analyst, estimates that Disney will spend $24 billion on new attractions, hotels and ships over the next five years. That’s more than Disney paid for Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm combined."

OK. Very good. Money well spent I think. The new Skyliner and GE is really generating buzz. Got to spend money to make money.

I just wonder if that number includes investment from the OLC and Shanghai.

Busy days for Imagineering.

rkleinlein

While working on an unrelated project I happened across images of a building designed by Zaha Hadid. I'm not saying this is what I think the Guardians building should look like, but it's an example of a large structure that's clean, futuristic, and attractive. Something along these lines that was larger, simpler, and tied into Spaceship Earth was possible. A giant box was not the only solution. It was the cheapest solution.
1 heydar-aliyev-centre-05_940x414.jpg

2 Heydar-Aliyev-Centre_10_Hufton-Crow_web.jpg
3 heydar-aliyev-center-01-1.jpg

davis_unoxx

While working on an unrelated project I happened across images of a building designed by Zaha Hadid. I'm not saying this is what I think the Guardians building should look like, but it's an example of a large structure that's clean, futuristic, and attractive. Something along these lines that was larger, simpler, and tied into Spaceship Earth was possible. A giant box was not the only solution. It was the cheapest solution.
View attachment 345747
View attachment 345748View attachment 345749
That looks cool! So that is that same Architect as Guardians building?

Missing20K

View attachment 345747
View attachment 345748View attachment 345749
RIP

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Where did that number come from? I am guessing that is globally. I'll be happy if Epcot gets 3 between now and the 50th (2032).
I’d be happy if WDI didn’t follow the Skunkworks method of accounting.

The parks should get twice as much for what they’re paying for. And before you say it, it’s not down to Disney quality. Or detail. Or pixie dust.

RSoxNo1

Disney has built their position in the theme park business by doing things that the "average guest" doesn't consciously notice or care about.
Which things...? Raising prices? Cutting entertainment? Homogenizing food offerings? $35 t-shirts?
Non-linear story telling. Theming pavement, having appropriate music, blending lands with seamless transitions and hiding you from anything that pulls you out of the story, like say a massive unthemed show building.

Refer to Joe Rohde's Instagram for a commentary on set design:

Last edited:

Missing20K

You're right... we have been through it before. No use repeating! :) It's all subjective, and depends on use, location, etc. And no -- a go-away-paneled box isn't attractive -- but it may be the better option at times.
No snark meant, but what would be the lesser option in this case?

They needed a building to enclose show scenes. It's a box. There really isn't a more simple building form than that. It has cladding that is about as cheap and simple a product there is in the construction world. The only way I can think to make it more simple would be to have a single color of paint.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom