News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

MickeyMinnieMom

No snark meant, but what would be the lesser option in this case?

They needed a building to enclose show scenes. It's a box. There really isn't a more simple building form than that. It has cladding that is about as cheap and simple a product there is in the construction world. The only way I can think to make it more simple would be to have a single color of paint.
Lesser might be theming something that is meant to be seen that ends up detracting from the views around the park.

And AGAIN -- most people upset about this ugly box don't want GotG to be in Epcot to begin with! How could Disney theme it in a way that would make that group happy AND actually fit with GotG?

My point is that those same people would very likely be upset no matter what given the placement of this attraction. Isn't it better for it to fade away in that case than to stick out like what they would view as a sore thumb?

LSLS

No snark meant, but what would be the lesser option in this case?

They needed a building to enclose show scenes. It's a box. There really isn't a more simple building form than that. It has cladding that is about as cheap and simple a product there is in the construction world. The only way I can think to make it more simple would be to have a single color of paint.

Not painting it?

Missing20K

Lesser might be theming something that is meant to be seen that ends up detracting from the views around the park.

And AGAIN -- most people upset about this ugly box don't want GotG to be in Epcot to begin with! How could Disney theme it in a way that would make that group happy AND actually fit with GotG?

My point is that those same people would very likely be upset no matter what given the placement of this attraction. Isn't it better for it to fade away in that case than to stick out like what they would view as a sore thumb?
Ok, I just wasn't sure if you meant actually build a "lesser" building or meant more how it's being received. Thanks for the clarification.
Not painting it?
I suppose they could have went with a Galvalume Ribbed Metal Siding instead.

Mike S

Non-linear story telling. Theming pavement, having appropriate music, blending lands with seamless transitions and hiding you from anything that pulls you out of the story, like say a massive unthemed show building.

Refer to Joe Rohde's Instagram for a commentary on set design:

Looks like eyes to me. The big protruding part under them is a nose.

TOCPE82

I really think that this "average guest won't notice it" argument is akin to the "but kids like it!" argument I detest so much. At this point if you don't get it, you aren't going to.

You may not notice if I take $5 out of your debit account every week, but at the end of the year you'd still be down $260.

lazyboy97o

If one is going to make a claim, they should at least be confident enough to stand by that position. If something is dead then at least have the fortitude to make a new statement instead of constant lip service to whatever it is that is dead while doing everything half heartedly.

doctornick

I really think that this "average guest won't notice it" argument is akin to the "but kids like it!" argument I detest so much. At this point if you don't get it, you aren't going to.

You may not notice if I take $5 out of your debit account every week, but at the end of the year you'd still be down $260.

The issue with your argument is that the entire point of displaying it the way it is (with the green/blue colors) is to make it so that the "guests won't notice it". So, if that is what is happening, then the designers at WDI have been successful in their goal. It is silly to argue that people not noticing it is a problem or a negative outcome when it is exactly what Disney is aiming for. It is not akin to building attractions aimed at kids at all.

The issue becomes whether the method of obscuring the show building is effective or not -- which it is for some guests and not for others. The debate comes from how much of a percentage of visitors fall into each group.

doctornick

I think that given the premise of having a large show building like they did in the location they did, that coloring it to make it less noticeable is probably the right direction. Putting design elements on it to make it "look cool" would have been more of an issue making it stand out more and look out of scale compared to the other buildings in the area (particularly by having it rival SSE too much as a focal point).

Now, there is a valid debate as to whether the show building had to be that big or that tall (could part have been buried?). Or of course putting the ride as is in a different location entirely. I think those are the valid debates and critiques. But putting on a snazzy attraction drawing design on the outside seems like a pretty awful idea to me.

LSLS

I fall into both categories, so I will respond. Not liking the inside and the outside of a building are two separate things. I can say Guardians is not a fit here and it is being completely forced, but at least accept (heck, maybe even like) the look of the building in the skyline. I can hate the Tower of Terror ride but love the look in the park.

I don't know, I just hate the idea that the same company that refused to put bathrooms in Liberty Square due to theming now thinks building a box and painting it sky blue in hopes the sky stays that color is good enough.

lazyboy97o

The issue with your argument is that the entire point of displaying it the way it is (with the green/blue colors) is to make it so that the "guests won't notice it". So, if that is what is happening, then the designers at WDI have been successful in their goal. It is silly to argue that people not noticing it is a problem or a negative outcome when it is exactly what Disney is aiming for. It is not akin to building attractions aimed at kids at all.

The issue becomes whether the method of obscuring the show building is effective or not -- which it is for some guests and not for others. The debate comes from how much of a percentage of visitors fall into each group.
How many guests notice cornices? What are the limits of effort when lots of people will not notice?

MickeyMinnieMom

I fall into both categories, so I will respond. Not liking the inside and the outside of a building are two separate things. I can say Guardians is not a fit here and it is being completely forced, but at least accept (heck, maybe even like) the look of the building in the skyline. I can hate the Tower of Terror ride but love the look in the park.

I don't know, I just hate the idea that the same company that refused to put bathrooms in Liberty Square due to theming now thinks building a box and painting it sky blue in hopes the sky stays that color is good enough.
I get what you're saying. But I'd still love to see a design for this bldg given its location that you wouldn't hate.

Now, I'm not a designer or architect, so I'm sure it's just a failure of my imagination... anyone want to take a crack at it?? I've been asking for a while now... :)

Rteetz

You're right... we have been through it before. No use repeating! :) It's all subjective, and depends on use, location, etc. And no -- a go-away-paneled box isn't attractive -- but it may be the better option at times.
I was just looking for an example of something you like to better understand. No worries though I’ll stop.

LSLS

I get what you're saying. But I'd still love to see a design for this bldg given its location that you wouldn't hate.

Now, I'm not a designer or architect, so I'm sure it's just a failure of my imagination... anyone want to take a crack at it?? I've been asking for a while now... :)

Neither am I, but I will go back to what you said before, interesting. Something that is unique, that gives an interesting skyline. Something that fits how the rest of Epcot looks. I can't design it, but that's the point. You know what I could design? A big box painted blue. Honestly I'm not a "Hate it no matter what" person (well, the outside, I'm going to be a super tough sell on the actual coaster), but this just feels lazy at this point (I will say, still years to completion, maybe they will surprise me).

MickeyMinnieMom

Neither am I, but I will go back to what you said before, interesting. Something that is unique, that gives an interesting skyline. Something that fits how the rest of Epcot looks. I can't design it, but that's the point. You know what I could design? A big box painted blue. Honestly I'm not a "Hate it no matter what" person (well, the outside, I'm going to be a super tough sell on the actual coaster), but this just feels lazy at this point (I will say, still years to completion, maybe they will surprise me).
I'm with you. If there was something cool and architecturally interesting that would 1) satisfy the GotG theme, AND 2) fit with the skyline, I would MUCH prefer that to a giant go-away box!

Since I can't envision what would fit 1) and 2), AND since I've seen it in person and didn't pass out as a result of the sight lines, I'm not prepared to say they went the wrong way here, necessarily.

ETA: That said, I completely leave room for the possibility that had Imagineering been given the full freedom to do so, that they could have come up with something cool that satisfied 1) and 2). And that this would likely have been more expensive, and may well be why it wasn't done. Again, I just can't picture what that would be... but I'm no artist. :)

Last edited:

ChewbaccaYourMum

At what point do we stop talking about how bad and big and out of place the building is and start discussing WHY is it so big?

I'm interested to know why they didn't just go for a smaller building, but a lot wider. Is it so tall because there's going to be multiple levels that the track will go through, with different scenes? Kind of like how the Gringotts coaster goes through many different scenes, but you don't really see other tracks around you. Which is the opposite of space mountain, where it's just a big roller coaster that's weaving in and out of each other and you can constantly see all the tracks around you. Will there be huge drops? Will there maybe be a huge Groot AA lol!

I just wanna start reading people discuss what this ride is going to be, other than just "a rollercoaster". They already called it a story telling coaster so obviously there's way more to it than just another rollercoaster. Maybe some insight from insiders??

All this back and forth about a ing building is just getting so annoying. Maybe we should split this thread into 2.. one about hating gotg and the show building and being sad over the death of EPCOT Center... and another about just talking about this ride finally....

yensidtlaw1969

This seems like a moot point, because I'd still be mad at Disney if this very same building was being used to house a new 300 Million Dollar Figment E-Ticket. This building is beneath the standard of the company and the park. The fact that I'm not a fan of Guardians and don't think it fits in Epcot doesn't do anything to improve my opinion, but I don't think Disney would be justified in building this warehouse regardless of what was inside it.

The Guardians movies certainly doesn't lack for interesting architecture to be inspired by - there of plenty of buildings in Xandar that could at least visually work well in Future World. Remember when we thought the Show Building was going to be themed like this?:

xandar_epcot.jpg

That's not how I dream of Future World looking, but it's better than the world's tallest IKEA.

lazyboy97o

At what point do we stop talking about how bad and big and out of place the building is and start discussing WHY is it so big?

I'm interested to know why they didn't just go for a smaller building, but a lot wider. Is it so tall because there's going to be multiple levels that the track will go through, with different scenes? Kind of like how the Gringotts coaster goes through many different scenes, but you don't really see other tracks around you. Which is the opposite of space mountain, where it's just a big roller coaster that's weaving in and out of each other and you can constantly see all the tracks around you. Will there be huge drops? Will there maybe be a huge Groot AA lol!

I just wanna start reading people discuss what this ride is going to be, other than just "a rollercoaster". They already called it a story telling coaster so obviously there's way more to it than just another rollercoaster. Maybe some insight from insiders??

All this back and forth about a ****ing building is just getting so annoying. Maybe we should split this thread into 2.. one about hating gotg and the show building and being sad over the death of EPCOT Center... and another about just talking about this ride finally....
Just because there is a building doesn’t mean decisions have been made and finalized for the show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom