News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

MickeyMinnieMom

Go stand at Japan and say that.
Yeah. That big blue box. Can’t miss it.
I think that most people would really have to be looking for it to be bothered by it. Same with Soarin’. And I have seen it in person both before and after paneling.

My guess is that a vanishingly small number of people will actually be so bothered by this as to change their behavior in any way. Particularly if this ends up being a solid e ticket. Most will not care at all — to the extent that they even pay attention to it.

Are the Soarin and GotG buildings fabulous? No. But honestly, I have a hard time picturing theming on a structure that large that would look better in the Epcot skyline than just taking the “go-away” route. I suppose some argue that they should have sunken the building — I’m sure that would have helped, but there would still be complaints on here regardless. As there would be if they themed the building to something that didn’t “fit”, as per the standards of individual posters.

I just can’t get worked up over this sort of thing having seen it in person.

Last edited:

Missing20K

It seems that a lot of people here don't fully understand the strategy of painting the building sky blue. Most of the posts about the building's impact on sight-lines are treating the color as an unsuccessful attempt at tricking the eyes (i.e. because the color is similar to the sky in the background, guests' eyes won't be able to discern the building when they look at it). This is obviously ridiculous - the building is massive and will never perfectly match the color of the sky. However, that's not how this strategy is meant to work. In actuality, it's meant to play a trick on the brain - your brain is conditioned to expect certain shades of blue in the background, and so it subconsciously filters out things of those colors.

This is a very similar phenomenon to how your brain works in regards to your nose. Whenever your eyes are open, you can technically see your nose, but your brain filters is out so you don't notice it. Of course, when you try to look at your nose, you will see it clearly. That's why anyone looking at the GotG building to determine how much of a monstrosity it is is inherently getting a biased view. The color is meant to prevent guests from intentionally looking at the building, not to prevent them from seeing it when they do. Most guests outside of these forums do not visit the park with the intention of looking at the GotG show building, so the illusion works much better on them. That's not to say that those on here who find the building to be a major obstruction are wrong, but just that they should recognize that they are immune from an illusion that should be quite effective on most guests.
Not sure Troxler's Fading works for such a large structure taking up such a large proportion of one's field of vision (dependent on one's distance from the object, of course).

shortstop

My guess is that a vanishingly small number of people will actually be so bothered by this as to change their behavior in any way. Particularly if this ends up being a solid e ticket. Most will not care at all — to the extent that they even pay attention to it.
The argument that ‘the average person won’t notice or care’ doesn’t really hold water. That’s not really the point. There’s a reason theme parks aren’t designed by ‘the average person’. The average person might also think Zootopia is a great fit for DAK or SSE should be rethemed to a Star Wars roller coaster. Doesn’t mean those things should happen. Over time, these things add up, and subconsciously, even the average person will have their experience diminished by large show buildings, thematic inconsistencies, etc.

MickeyMinnieMom

The argument that ‘the average person won’t notice or care’ doesn’t really hold water. That’s not really the point. There’s a reason theme parks aren’t designed by ‘the average person’. The average person might also think Zootopia is a great fit for DAK or SSE should be rethemed to a Star Wars roller coaster. Doesn’t mean those things should happen. Over time, these things add up, and subconsciously, even the average person will have their experience diminished by large show buildings, thematic inconsistencies, etc.
I actually didn’t say “the average person” — I think the VAST MAJORITY won’t bat an eyelash — that a vanishingly small number of people will care. That’s more than “the average person”.

Following your standard, WDW already jumped the shark with the Soarin’ building. Shut it down.

I’d still love to see a design for something that large that people on here would actually have been happy with. Aren’t the same people who are most displeased ones who say this shouldn’t be in Epcot to begin with? Nothing would make that group happy wrt this building.

I don’t LOVE GotG in Epcot. I don’t LOVE this building. I just don’t think it’s the abomination that a small group of people does. And I don’t think it’s a sign that WDW is now not living up to what a theme park should be. That’s all.

shortstop

I actually didn’t say “the average person” — I think the VAST MAJORITY won’t bat an eyelash that a vanishingly small number of people will care. That’s more than “the average person”.
Is this just speculation or do you know for sure? Anyways, I’d say the vast majority of guests in WDW are just “average tourists”.
Following your standard, WDW already jumped the shark with the Soarin’ building. Shut it down.
Soarin is half as tall, partially blocked by Canada, and doesn’t really draw attention to itself, and yet it STILL gets complained about.
I’d still love to see a design for something that large that people on here would actually have been happy with. Aren’t the same people who are most displeased ones who say this shouldn’t be in Epcot to begin with? Nothing would make that group happy wrt this building.
This isn’t a black and white situation. It wasn’t a given or a necessity that the building be this tall. The easiest solution? Build a smaller show building or don’t build the ride at all.

doctornick

See that's the thing. I look at that picture and think "wow, Disney did a great job making such a huge building so inconspicuous that you don't even see it". Others are like "that horrible blue box destroys the entire view".

To some extent I guess I'm impressed by how perceptive people are that they notice these things. The first time I saw a picture of the Soarin' building on here, I literally could not see what was being referred to. I was like "ok, it's Canada, and...?" Now, I know what it is and can find it while in the part if I'm making a very concerted effort to look directly at it.

Personally, I suspect that the "go away" look is actually quite effective, at least for most people. And I think it is quite insulting when people imply that folks who can't or don't tend to see such building are somehow lesser fans of theme parks. Everyone has different perception filters and life experiences and are affected by things in different ways. I think if I were otherwise ignorant of it and was noticing the GotG building while in the park, my instinct would be to just ignore it as some distant building outside the park of no importance. I doubt I would have every thought of it being a part of the park and an attraction.

MickeyMinnieMom

Is this just speculation or do you know for sure? Anyways, I’d say the vast majority of guests in WDW are just “average tourists”.

Soarin is half as tall, partially blocked by Canada, and doesn’t really draw attention to itself, and yet it STILL gets complained about.

This isn’t a black and white situation. It wasn’t a given or a necessity that the building be this tall. The easiest solution? Build a smaller show building or don’t build the ride at all.
We just disagree, which is fine. I don’t want to keep repeating myself or going around in circles, so just one more to answer your questions:

Just speculation based on years on boards like this — thus the “I think”. Don’t know where someone would get supporting data on this... ;)

“Still gets complained about” — by a small group of people online.

I still haven’t heard anything proposed that most people on here would have been happy with — especially considering that most of them think it’s unconscionable that GotG is even being put in Epcot. :)

Timothy_Q

We are currently fixated on the size of the building, as it is going up. Take time to look at the photos of the attraction from the front of
the entrance building. That is what people are going to see. I have been taken off of Splash Mountain due to a breakdown. The front
of the ride is really well themed. The back of the building looks like factory building. Even as big as this building is, when you are going
to ride this ride, you are not going to be worrying about the building in the back.
Are you seriously saying Splash Mountain is as tall as GotG? lol

And Splash is fully themed from guest views

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What is the criteria for things that are worth an extra effort and what is not because the “average guest” will not care or notice?
That’s what we are here to debate :)

Even more important that’s what WDI has to decide. In the past they always went the extra mile. More recently they are taking some short cuts that wouldn’t be acceptable in the past. I don’t know if it’s the “Universal” effect where they see a competitor with great success (at least financial) where the focus is more on fun rides and IP people love and less on perfectly developed theme or if it’s just a changing of the guard internally.

jt04

im sure quite a few insiders know what the alternative was and yes it would be themed but even more noticeable...

ill take the blue box over gold

The only problem I see with the subdued blue box is it makes the WoM building look even more garish.
Did not even think that was possible. 😳

montyz81

The only problem I see with the subdued blue box is it makes the WoM building look even more garish.
Did not even think that was possible. 😳
I truly feel that is because Horizons is missing. The original layout felt cohesive to me. Even though the walking paths have not changed since 1982, the general layout now feels like it is messed up. The big blue box is going to make that worse. It's almost like Epcot has lost its feng shui. I know I am probably missing the true meaning of feng shui but hopefully, everyone gets my meaning. EC felt like it had a clear purpose (albeit through a 12-year-old's eyes), current Epcot does not (now 47 year old's eyes)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom