News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Bocabear

Fairly standard for show to be behind in theme park projects.
but not behind building the structure... They have to know what they are going to need long before any dirt starts moving... Fine tuning and tweaking may not be completely figured, but you can bet just about everything else has already been figured, ordered and already in fabrication.

lazyboy97o

but not behind building the structure... They have to know what they are going to need long before any dirt starts moving... Fine tuning and tweaking may not be completely figured, but you can bet just about everything else has already been figured, ordered and already in fabrication.
No, they do not need to know and fabrication for many, many elements does not start with the building.

Missing20K

Fairly standard for show to be behind in theme park projects.
Interesting. I guess they get column spacing, clear heights and make all the show fit those constraints? Sorta makes sense, they can tweak designs, VE and etc., while still erecting structure. I'd imagine all the Structural team would need regarding show elements are floor loads.

MickeyMinnieMom

This seems like a moot point, because I'd still be mad at Disney if this very same building was being used to house a new 300 Million Dollar Figment E-Ticket. This building is beneath the standard of the company and the park. The fact that I'm not a fan of Guardians and don't think it fits in Epcot doesn't do anything to improve my opinion, but I don't think Disney would be justified in building this warehouse regardless of what was inside it.

The Guardians movies certainly doesn't lack for interesting architecture to be inspired by - there of plenty of buildings in Xandar that could at least visually work well in Future World. Remember when we thought the Show Building was going to be themed like this?:

xandar_epcot.jpg

That's not how I dream of Future World looking, but it's better than the world's tallest IKEA.
Obviously subjective, but I'd much rather have a go-away-paneled box than this monstrosity in Epcot.

lazyboy97o

Wait, what?
Are people trying to tell us that they built a box without knowing the track configuration that would be inhabiting it?
I find this doubtful.
I believe the entire track layout, and dimensions were a known - and the box is the - well, box - that covers it.
The track is known but the show scenes and sets are not finalized. It’s really nothing unusual for attractions. Utilization of a fast-track project delivery is very much the norm.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'm with you. If there was something cool and architecturally interesting that would 1) satisfy the GotG theme, AND 2) fit with the skyline, I would MUCH prefer that to a giant go-away box!

Since I can't envision what would fit 1) and 2), AND since I've seen it in person and didn't pass out as a result of the sight lines, I'm not prepared to say they went the wrong way here, necessarily
Your metric for success is, "I didn't pass out" at the sight of it. You continue to subscribe to the fallacy that any person who disagrees with this buildings design is either severely overreacting or yearns for Epcot to return to 1985. You can not simply over exagerate a differing opinion to suit your response.

And adding "is in the eye of the beholder" to an adjective does not equate an educated (or constructive) rebuttal.

MickeyMinnieMom

Your metric for success is, "I didn't pass out" at the sight of it. You continue to subscribe to the fallacy that any person who disagrees with this buildings design is either severely overreacting or yearns for Epcot to return to 1985. You can not simply over exagerate a differing opinion to suit your response.

And adding "is in the eye of the beholder" to an adjective does not equate an educated (or constructive) rebuttal.
Goodness. I was joking around. It's better than "I didn't pass out". It did not bother me whatsoever in the skyline of Epcot. As to the rest of your post, it sounds like you're selectively reading mine -- I'll just leave it at that.

dothebrdwalk

Omg chill. Newsflash, it's there and not going away anytime soon.

FerretAfros

For many years now, I've visited WDW during January to run the races of Marathon Weekend with a group of friends.

One of my favorite moments of the weekend is during the final miles of the half marathon. While traversing a series of three (not-so-fun) overpasses into the Epcot parking lot, Spaceship Earth becomes visible on the horizon, standing out above the tree line as a beacon to runners letting them know that the finish line is nearby after several hours of exhausting physical activity. And at the pace I run, I typically happen upon this scene right as the sun comes over the horizon.

This, to me, is about as magical as anything that Disney does. More than a character greeting or a fireworks show, seeing a symbol of hope and perseverance to draw you in during a particularly difficult moment epitomizes the attention to detail, going the extra mile, and thoughtful touches that made Disney the industry leader. In so many ways, the design of that structure is similar to running an endurance race: its form was chosen not because it was easy, but because it was difficult; its completion became a symbol of hope and possibility; and it's just darn cool! And knowing that it wasn't really intended to be seen by the general public at this time of day makes the moment even more special, an extra reward for making it through the race.

The hills. The anticipation of the finish line beyond. The sphere. The sunrise. It all works together in harmony to create such a unique, intimate, and inspiring moment, and one that doesn't happen anywhere else.

It's such a great moment, that I have photos of it from nearly every year I've run (including some years with disappointingly heavy cloud cover). Here's one from back in 2013, just as the sun crests and the morning fog lifts, with silhouetted runners traversing the horizon up the final hill on their way toward Spaceship Earth
P1030482.JPG

And a closer look from just last year, with the monorail gliding by as the sun pokes through the trees and SSE sitting in a stately manner beyond, drawing runners in.
P1190660.JPG

And now we have this year's version. There's still the majestic sunrise, sleek monorail, and grand Spaceship Earth. But we also have this dorky box that was plopped down right next to it, without a care in the world about how it interrupts this otherwise-dignified scene. Like a mustache on the Mona Lisa, it makes no attempt to justify itself or harmonize with its surroundings: it's just there. And so it will be for years to come.
P1200604.JPG

What a perfect representation of what Disney once represented, and who they are now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom