News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

jt04

There is nothing wrong with the exterior of world of motion aside from poor upkeep/cleaning and the addition of structures from the current ride inside the building. If they built this building today it would still look appropriate for the future world theme. In fact the world of motion building as originally built would look appropriate on most Silicon Valley campuses built today, including Apple’s newest campus.

Edit: And why is the MK held to a different standard than Epcot?

Well if you look at the renderings of what inspired the park we now call Epcot, there was no effort being given to insulating it from views of the outside world. To the contrary.

kthomas105

Well if you look at the renderings of what inspired the park we now call Epcot, there was no effort being given to insulating it from views of the outside world. To the contrary.
1 that’s not true and 2 there is a big difference to a building built right on the edge of “the berm” and a building like the tower of terror or swan and dolphin towers.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
... an oblivious idiot who is treated as some sort of noble ideal. The entire concept of a theme park, storytelling through the subtleties of built space, can be dismissed as something people don’t notice or focus on or care about.
We're only tourists, after all.

Perhaps your ideal of Epcot has outlived the reality of today's WDW guest, who, for the most part, neither knows nor cares about what Epcot was, or should have been, but is focused on what it is today... a Disney park with very few Disney characters in it.

jt04

1 that’s not true and 2 there is a big difference to a building built right on the edge of “the berm” and a building like the tower of terror or swan and dolphin towers.

Actually it is true. All the elevated areas have windows facing outward. Sort of the opposite of Disneyland. Pretty sure by design.

Bamaapr

The size, shape and visibility of the building are disappointing. Perhaps there's a silver lining down the road when Epcot get's an overhaul and Future World is re-worked, maybe it won't be as visible from that section of the park.

kthomas105

Actually it is true. All the elevated areas have windows facing outward. Sort of the opposite of Disneyland. Pretty sure by design.
I’m not sure what you mean by elevated areas, but I know that this 130’ tall warehouse building would not have even been considered remotely acceptable based on the original design aesthetics and architecture of Epcot. But even by today’s standards it is surprising because of how visible it is and how they decided to go about cloaking it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

With the exception of the Swan, Dolphin and Tower of Terror, I can't think of anything from the "outside world" that can be seen from within Epcot. They even went to the extra effort to make Tower of Terror blend into Morocco.

The Pho

With the exception of the Swan, Dolphin and Tower of Terror, I can't think of anything from the "outside world" that can be seen from within Epcot. They even went to the extra effort to make Tower of Terror blend into Morocco.

Bonnet Creek and Riviera are as well, but not too much. But they also blend like Tower does.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Show buildings for almost all of the original pavilions in Future World were visible from parts of World Showcase. There was no attempt to completely hide them. They were/are celebrated as part of the visual appeal of the park. This could have been nothing different had they designed the building differently. Some people would still moan and cry because somehow the original stuff gets a pass but you can’t please everyone.

Touchdown

Edit: And why is the MK held to a different standard than Epcot?

Because MK and AK are designed to be closed spaces where you do not see thematic elements from other lands in the park let alone outside of it. Epcot and DHS from the beginning where not designed that way. Epcot is a permanent worlds fair, worlds fairs occurred in major cities or near to them, they never were closed off from the outside world. You could always see future world from world showcase, and look across the lagoon and see thematic irregularities.

As I said before, I have a bigger problem seeing the backside of Everest and Pandora from the parking lot as it ruins the illusion before you can even see it. I wish they would have increased the rock sculpting to hide it from the lot or used trees to hide them.

RSoxNo1

I think it's not entirely outside of the realm of possibility for a pre-show where Rocket runs around Epcot stealing stuff (Buzzy, redressing the journey into imagination vehicles as the new vehicles, etc.). All as part of his "master plan".

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not. But I really expect the ride will have some self-awareness of where it is, based on the other Marvel attractions so far.
It's entirely conceivable that the characters from the movie are just living it up in Epcot and there's no grand inspirational message or view into burgeoning technologies. If this is a love letter to classic EPCOT I think people may accept that.

jt04

I’m not sure what you mean by elevated areas, but I know that this 130’ tall warehouse building would not have even been considered remotely acceptable based on the original design aesthetics and architecture of Epcot. But even by today’s standards it is surprising because of how visible it is and how they decided to go about cloaking it.

Disney has said Epcot was not designed in the same manner as a castle. While they have sought a similar aesthetic it is clear by the placement of the Swan and Dolphin that there is a different standard for Epcot.

By original inspiration I am referring to Walt's original plans. From many vantage points within this community you would have seen far more than warehouses, highways etc. well off property.

kthomas105

Because MK and AK are designed to be closed spaces where you do not see thematic elements from other lands in the park let alone outside of it. Epcot and DHS from the beginning where not designed that way. Epcot is a permanent worlds fair, worlds fairs occurred in major cities or near to them, they never were closed off from the outside world. You could always see future world from world showcase, and look across the lagoon and see thematic irregularities.

As I said before, I have a bigger problem seeing the backside of Everest and Pandora from the parking lot as it ruins the illusion before you can even see it. I wish they would have increased the rock sculpting to hide it from the lot or used trees to hide them.

I understand what you are saying but I reject the notion that the original design of Epcot makes it ok for a 130' unthemed building to be built directly ouside of the berm because Epcot was never meant to be closed to the outside world.

kthomas105

Disney has said Epcot was not designed in the same manner as a castle. While they have sought a similar aesthetic it is clear by the placement of the Swan and Dolphin that there is a different standard for Epcot.

By original inspiration I am referring to Walt's original plans. From many vantage points within this community you would have seen far more than warehouses, highways etc. well off property.

The swan and dolphin is not a Motel 6 you can see from inside Epcot and the Industrial complex Walt in-visioned was hardly bare bones and would have never been built directly next to the center of his design.

Missing20K

Like swamps, miles and miles of swamps. :)

OG Runner

Go stand at Japan and say that.

Yes, given you are on vacation, standing in Japan, in the World Showcase, and turn around and say, can you see that
building across the way. What I am saying is that building does not take away from anything and neither will the new
building for GotG. I take photos at the Shinto arch, getting Spaceship Earth in the background, the Soarin' building has
never been a problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom