News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

smile

IMO the quality of execution and immersion in Pandora is higher than Potter — and Universal in general. Nothing about it strikes me as desperate.

the fact it's related to avatar at all strikes me as desperate and even unfair to several original twdc ip that could have gone there if not for chasing the highest grossing movie of all time
... couple decades earlier you'd have been fine with leo in the seas? ;)

the immersion could (and should) have been better, as had been initially planned (when isn't that the case?), but it is certainly there, and the execution is largely fantastic, which is why i think it's been serviceable (whether or not it belongs) -
it's also been yet another benefactor of the wdw tendency for stagnancy.

i'm not convinced, however, that it's more successful, on it's own, than diagon alley.

retr0gate

This thread is essentially people arguing the same thing over and over again. Ideally, we would all love Disney to update UoE and use the refurbishment as a new way to draw guests to the park, but realistically we know that wouldn't happen. By no fault of Disney, it's not enough to get peoples attention whereas the implementation of an IP guarantees to bring in more foot traffic. It just makes sense.

Nostalgia needs to be left out of the picture- as admirable as the original intention of EPCOT Center was, many of the original attractions that were there in '82 simply wouldn't hold up with today's crowds. Simply put, people aren't going to a theme park to learn. Take Universe of Energy for example, the only portion that was probably considered impressive to modern day audiences was the dino diorama because aside from that, the ride was all screen based. The videos shown throughout the ride are no different than what teachers are showing children in their classrooms today.

Let's say Disney did go through with actually updating UoE and keeping the same theme- realistically, where's the appeal in that? On one hand you have the hardcore fans who (most of which) would still be upset because they wont accept anything but the original, and on the other hand you have the average "stupid Judy stupid energy" park-goer that simply put, literally would not care to ride this. Disney may have made some dumb decisions lately, but they're not stupid and what they're doing with this pavilion makes sense and quite honestly, I see more good than bad. They took arguably one of their more outdated and least popular attractions, and are turning it into something that will actually draw more guests into Epcot so that they can experience the other attractions the park has to offer.

The fact that it's going to be tied to Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't make the attraction any less timeless- since day one Disney has been doing this with Peter Pan's Flight and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to a more modern "classic" like Splash Mountain. Admittedly, these were original attractions and didn't take over another but GOTG might as well be a "new" attraction since only the original structure of UoE itself will be used in the new attraction to house the queue. Those arguing that it doesn't fit in Epcot- we don't even know the theme! For all we know, the ride could literally be called "Universe of Energy sponsored by Xandar." The fact that it's a rollercoaster tied to a popular franchise doesn't automatically rule out the idea of it having a relevant and educational story. In fact, this attraction will probably tie into the core values of Epcot better than something like the Seas with Nemo and Friends and even THAT still manages to be educational (well, the post show at least).

While I agree, the use of IP's currently in this park specifically is a bit overkill, but it's nothing we haven't seen before. This kind of tactic has been used in the park for decades and yes, eventually it dies out. Think back to the opening of Toy Story Land and how it was practically a giant flop. Disney learns from these mistakes, it just unfortunately takes a while before they decide to fix them. Ideally, I like to imagine that Disney ends up going through with an update to the Imagination Pavilion, original theme intact, so they realize an original IP CAN bring in more guests, allowing them to experiment with this in other areas of the park. However, Disney just isn't ready to take that risk yet which is why they rely on attractions like the gotg one to market the park.

eddie104

This thread is essentially people arguing the same thing over and over again. Ideally, we would all love Disney to update UoE and use the refurbishment as a new way to draw guests to the park, but realistically we know that wouldn't happen. By no fault of Disney, it's not enough to get peoples attention whereas the implementation of an IP guarantees to bring in more foot traffic. It just makes sense.

Nostalgia needs to be left out of the picture- as admirable as the original intention of EPCOT Center was, many of the original attractions that were there in '82 simply wouldn't hold up with today's crowds. Simply put, people aren't going to a theme park to learn. Take Universe of Energy for example, the only portion that was probably considered impressive to modern day audiences was the dino diorama because aside from that, the ride was all screen based. The videos shown throughout the ride are no different than what teachers are showing children in their classrooms today.

Let's say Disney did go through with actually updating UoE and keeping the same theme- realistically, where's the appeal in that? On one hand you have the hardcore fans who (most of which) would still be upset because they wont accept anything but the original, and on the other hand you have the average "stupid Judy stupid energy" park-goer that simply put, literally would not care to ride this. Disney may have made some dumb decisions lately, but they're not stupid and what they're doing with this pavilion makes sense and quite honestly, I see more good than bad. They took arguably one of their more outdated and least popular attractions, and are turning it into something that will actually draw more guests into Epcot so that they can experience the other attractions the park has to offer.

The fact that it's going to be tied to Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't make the attraction any less timeless- since day one Disney has been doing this with Peter Pan's Flight and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to a more modern "classic" like Splash Mountain. Admittedly, these were original attractions and didn't take over another but GOTG might as well be a "new" attraction since only the original structure of UoE itself will be used in the new attraction to house the queue. Those arguing that it doesn't fit in Epcot- we don't even know the theme! For all we know, the ride could literally be called "Universe of Energy sponsored by Xandar." The fact that it's a rollercoaster tied to a popular franchise doesn't automatically rule out the idea of it having a relevant and educational story. In fact, this attraction will probably tie into the core values of Epcot better than something like the Seas with Nemo and Friends and even THAT still manages to be educational (well, the post show at least).

While I agree, the use of IP's currently in this park specifically is a bit overkill, but it's nothing we haven't seen before. This kind of tactic has been used in the park for decades and yes, eventually it dies out. Think back to the opening of Toy Story Land and how it was practically a giant flop. Disney learns from these mistakes, it just unfortunately takes a while before they decide to fix them. Ideally, I like to imagine that Disney ends up going through with an update to the Imagination Pavilion, original theme intact, so they realize an original IP CAN bring in more guests, allowing them to experiment with this in other areas of the park. However, Disney just isn't ready to take that risk yet which is why they rely on attractions like the gotg one to market the park.
I agree with everything but TSL is not a flop and people need to stop saying that. It was meant to be something to hold use over until Galaxys Edge opens which "should" attract far more people.

Last edited:

retr0gate

I agree with everything but TSL is not a flop and people need to stop saying that. It was meant to be a quick placeholder for something bigger. Galaxys Edge would attract far more people.
I'm not talking about necessarily a financial flop, moreso an execution flop. Plastic fences, child-height urinals and no shade to be found says it all.

MickeyMinnieMom

I agree with everything but TSL is not a flop and people need to stop saying that. It was meant to be a quick placeholder for something bigger. Galaxys Edge would attract far more people.
TSL always struck me as a cute offering, primarily for the younger set, ahead of the juggernaut that (I think) SWGE will be, and how that crowd will skew older.

They made execution mistakes (no shade, etc.) that hopefully they’ll fix.

They could have done more with TSL — chose not it, it seems to me. When people say this was a failure and compare it to Pandora, I just don’t get it. And I’ve never heard any proof or close to it that Disney thinks it’s a failure.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Maybe — though I’d take out the word “easily” and ask whether it would make any business sense for them to try. Few thoughts off the top of my head:

1) Let’s have them focus first on making their own website and MDE work. ;)

2) Sounds like a different line of business; tech company space. Feels like they’d need multiple partnerships to make something work.

3) I don’t know about having these things take up physical space in a theme park, when the space you’d need would have to undergo such frequent re-configuration to accommodate tech changes and stay relevant. That’s why this stuff seems better as a convention idea than permanent setup.

4) Do enough people on a WDW vacation want to take part in this to make the investment worth it? I’d guess no.

I'm talking about adding a convention space that's attached to the theme park and have something like Innoventions that can be part of the space...where technology companies that aren't necessarily under exclusive sponsorship contracts can show their latest technology.
This is something that's been lacking. There's also non-compete clauses with the sponsors I believe (like GM) which is preventing more widespread options.

This isn't about existing WDW guests, but appealing to a broader type of guest and maybe integrate the hotel idea as well.

eddie104

TSL always struck me as a cute offering, primarily for the younger set, ahead of the juggernaut that (I think) SWGE will be, and how that crowd will skew older.

They made execution mistakes (no shade, etc.) that hopefully they’ll fix.

They could have done more with TSL — chose not it, it seems to me. When people say this was a failure and compare it to Pandora, I just don’t get it. And I’ve never heard any proof or close to it that Disney thinks it’s a failure.
Tbh these lands weren’t really popular at the other parks but gives DHS some more offerings aimed at like you said younger kids.

MickeyMinnieMom

I'm talking about adding a convention space that's attached to the theme park and have something like Innoventions that can be part of the space...where technology companies that aren't necessarily under exclusive sponsorship contracts can show their latest technology.
This is something that's been lacking. There's also non-compete clauses with the sponsors I believe (like GM) which is preventing more widespread options.

This isn't about existing WDW guests, but appealing to a broader type of guest and maybe integrate the hotel idea as well.

Gotcha.

Not sure I agree with this: “This is something that's been lacking.” It isn’t there... I don’t think it’s “lacking”... :)

This seems like a leap... “appealing to a broader type of guest”... my gut just says this wouldn’t be enough of a draw and that ROI would be too low. Who knows, though?!

rle4lunch

the fact it's related to avatar at all strikes me as desperate and even unfair to several original twdc ip that could have gone there if not for chasing the highest grossing movie of all time
... couple decades earlier you'd have been fine with leo in the seas? ;)

the immersion could (and should) have been better, as had been initially planned (when isn't that the case?), but it is certainly there, and the execution is largely fantastic, which is why i think it's been serviceable (whether or not it belongs) -
it's also been yet another benefactor of the wdw tendency for stagnancy.

i'm not convinced, however, that it's more successful, on it's own, than diagon alley.

agreed. diagon alley is the only thing keeping USO open in the winter time. Every december we go there it's walk on to everything except pottersville.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Gotcha.

Not sure I agree with this: “This is something that's been lacking.” It isn’t there... I don’t think it’s “lacking”... :)

This seems like a leap... “appealing to a broader type of guest”... my gut just says this wouldn’t be enough of a draw and that ROI would be too low. Who knows, though?!

Epcot is being propped up by festivals and locals, that's the problem. It isn't a good business model which is why they're finally adding attractions, just not the type that speak to how EPCOT Center was founded.

MickeyMinnieMom

Epcot is being propped up by festivals and locals, that's the problem. It isn't a good business model which is why they're finally adding attractions, just not the type that speak to how EPCOT Center was founded.
Agreed mostly. We happen to love the festivals — can’t wait for Tokyo Pairing, French Family Meal Traditions and booths in Nov when we’re there for W&D!

But they’ve needed investment there for a long time and I’m glad to see it happening — finally. I just don’t think ones in the “original model” — as were once in EPCOT — would work well today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom