News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

geekza

No one said that it's incapable of being thoughtful and inspirational.
What is question is whether people nowadays would like that in a theme park anymore?
Do they have the attention span for it?
Would they come back for it again?
Is it worth it for a theme park to go that route anymore?
I think a lot of folks underestimate the intelligence and attention spans of the population. Sure, there are those who have the attention spans of goldfish and the intelligence to match, but why should they be the target audience?

eddie104

i appreciate your optimism, but that's coming from a perspective unaware of the actual cost and timeline of the project
- granted, for many reasons, that shouldn't matter - but it actually does... in the deep dark recesses of conference rooms :p

i also respect your favorable view of the theming in tsl, but i must say......

mp2.gif
Disney can't please everybody at the end of the day as some people like it and some don't care for it. I always look at projects from a neutral standpoint and judge accordingly because there are many perspectives to look at things.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

No one said that it's incapable of being thoughtful and inspirational.
What is question is whether people nowadays would like that in a theme park anymore?
Do they have the attention span for it?
Would they come back for it again?
Is it worth it for a theme park to go that route anymore?
Entertainment that is not entertaining is not much in the way of entertainment. It’s a contradiction. Entertainment is supposed to entertain people. Saying people won’t be entertained by something thoughtful and inspiring is just a roundabout way of trying to dismiss the power of the medium without saying it directly.

Bairstow

Test Track and Mission: Space...... Am I missing something? Are you one of those people that considers Soarin' a thrill ride?

Also, the past doesn't count if they don't exist anymore. (Which is a shame. I firmly believe Sum of all thrills should be its own big attraction that could replace an ENTIRE Innoventions show building)

I assume it's Frozen with its short drop and splashdown.
For some younger (and older) guests that's about as much of a thrill as they want.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
How well did that last POTC movie do? Compared to when it was in its prime.

Okay... And the first Pirates movie came out in 2003. I'd say it's held its popularity up pretty well.

To answer your question... Lowest grossing Pirates film in the US, but the highest grossing entry for the franchise internationally. Critics hated it, general audience still enjoys it just like they do every Pirates film. Do with that information as you will. It's still making money. (I personally have never cared for Pirates movies since the very first film).

Also, bad comparison. Guardians is WWAAAAAY more popular that Pirates ever was when it came out. Holding a 91% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes AND 92% audience rating. Its sequel? 83% critics and 88% audience. It is the 3rd highest grossing film in the Marvel cinematic universe. Its sequel was the 8th highest grossing film in 2017. Meanwhile Pirates started going downhill by its 3rd sequel.

Guardians isn't going anywhere. ESPECIALLY with its ties to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. At least, for a while. And after the series DOES end, like I said, the ride will still hold up for years since it's a thrill. (Think Mummy over at Universal Studios. And Universal LIKES to get rid of their classics!)

Honestly, that was a terrible comparison. You probably should have compared it to, say, Harry Potter. Which is like, an equally popular franchise and YEARS LATER IT STILL DRAWS IN PEOPLE. Marvel is Disney's gate to Universal's advantage of Harry Potter.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Okay... And the first Pirates movie came out in 2003. I'd say it's held its popularity up pretty well.

To answer your question... Lowest grossing Pirates film in the US, but the highest grossing entry for the franchise internationally. Critics hated it, general audience still enjoys it just like they do every Pirates film. Do with that information as you will. It's still making money. (I personally have never cared for Pirates movies since the very first film).

Also, bad comparison. Guardians is WWAAAAAY more popular that Pirates ever was when it came out. Holding a 91% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes AND 92% audience rating. Its sequel? 83% critics and 88% audience. It is the 3rd highest grossing film in the Marvel cinematic universe. Its sequel was the 8th highest grossing film in 2017. Meanwhile Pirates started going downhill by its 3rd sequel.

Guardians isn't going anywhere. ESPECIALLY with its ties to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. At least, for a while. And after the series DOES end, like I said, the ride will still hold up for years since it's a thrill. (Think Mummy over at Universal Studios. And Universal LIKES to get rid of their classics!)

Honestly, that was a terrible comparison. You probably should have compared it to, say, Harry Potter. Which is like, an equally popular franchise and YEARS LATER IT STILL DRAWS IN PEOPLE. Marvel is Disney's gate to Universal's advantage of Harry Potter.

You seem to be invested in the MCU as fan so I think that clouds your reasoning. The majority of guests are not fans, they just want to try something new. Once the buzz dies down it will be just another generic experience. In 10 years it will have the same crowd levels as RNR, which of course there are rumors going around for it being updated. Still don't think it will happen, look at Frozen, those wait times have shot back to reality pretty quickly. I'm sure TSL will be in the same boat too once GE opens if not before.

smile

I just don’t think ones in the “original model” — as were once in EPCOT — would work well today.

granted the sponsorship aspect would be far more difficult (but not impossible),
- yet, i believe that, while becoming far more tech savvy, the world has also grown more cynical about ourselves and our future together - in a way, possibly even more confused

let's recall that initially, one of the great inspirations for the florida project was to help usher in the computer/information age by working proactively to tear down the exact walls of fear encroaching tech can engender causing the cynicism

of course, the 'model' would have had to evolve, but twdc became rather risk-averse in the intervening years and, contrary to what's put on construction walls, the desire to truly adapt and evolve was dropped like a bad habit -
first, when the initial wave no longer felt the value and twdc didn't feel ec was worth budging/fighting for, and then for good when westcot was literally laughed out the room, and that would have been right down the street! the fact dca was chosen and for why it was chosen is about all the information necessary to dechiper what twdc has been looking to do, for the most part, ever since.

the company has since drastically changed, not mankind

additionally, feel free to knock uni and potter as you wish, but please be mindful of it's positive impact regarding twdc capex in orlando - another bad sign, btw ;)

MickeyMinnieMom

additionally, feel free to knock uni and potter as you wish, but please be mindful of it's positive impact regarding twdc capex in orlando - another bad sign, btw ;)
Don’t have time for a more fulsome response right now but I will later!

For now, I just wanted to say yes, I agree: competition is good. :)

smile

which is completely irrelevant to anything

fwiw, consider mine the perspective of one who thinks pandora does not belong in dak, period - but that's a whole 'nother discourse ;)

but, it is directly relevant because it is the precise reason it even exists in wdw, as opposed to having been chosen on it's merits alone as being uniquely wdw
- simply put, if avatar was not the highest grossing film of all time (or one of), it would not be there... and it won't/wouldn't even be exclusive if more interest was raised abroad.

to enjoy pandora for what it is makes perfect sense, but to consider it uniquely wdw is almost farcical, because it only is because it's there and if one chooses to boil it down to whose name is on a contract in a server somewhere, i'm not going to stop you.

eddie104

Okay, let's talk about this for a second because I think we all agree with the meat of this post but I don't really agree with the plate that it's served on.

Imagineering is not "lazy." Imagineering has just... changed. Gone are 30+ year olds who are established in the field and ready/willing to push the envelope. Those guys would get kicked to the curb in two seconds from todays WDI. WDI is now a lot of people just starting out in their twenties who are just trying to not be fired (the turn over rate at WDI is HUGE) by their higher ups. WDI are told to create what they create. They are not allowed to create organically anymore, they are only allowed to "make what they're told." If you want to find the REAL problem, go to the source.
Exactly people are always so quick to point fingers at WDI as if they just hired themselves and don't have managers and people above them who make certain decisions. If people working in certain fields don't have the experience they need...then expect the products to be less than stellar.

TimeDuck

Okay, let's talk about this for a second because I think we all agree with the meat of this post but I don't really agree with the plate that it's served on.

Imagineering is not "lazy." Imagineering has just... changed. Gone are 30+ year olds who are established in the field and ready/willing to push the envelope. Those guys would get kicked to the curb in two seconds from todays WDI. WDI is now a lot of people just starting out in their twenties who are just trying to not be fired (the turn over rate at WDI is HUGE) by their higher ups. WDI are told to create what they create. They are not allowed to create organically anymore, they are only allowed to "make what they're told." If you want to find the REAL problem, go to the source.

Why is the turnover rate at WDI so high? It's interesting because I feel like we sometimes get two different images of WDI, sometimes its painted as this aloof organization out of touch with the needs of the resorts and inventing exciting new concepts and technologies that people then have trouble finding practical applications for.

On the other hand descriptions like these paint it as a cutthroat start-up culture, where people are just struggling to stay afloat and willingly pumping out whatever is asked in the hopes they can keep their job another month.

I have no idea which it is or if its a combination of both or neither, its just interesting.

Bairstow

Why is the turnover rate at WDI so high? It's interesting because I feel like we sometimes get two different images of WDI, sometimes its painted as this aloof organization out of touch with the needs of the resorts and inventing exciting new concepts and technologies that people then have trouble finding practical applications for.

On the other hand descriptions like these paint it as a cutthroat start-up culture, where people are just struggling to stay afloat and willingly pumping out whatever is asked in the hopes they can keep their job another month.

I have no idea which it is or if its a combination of both or neither, its just interesting.
Had a friend who worked for WDI for about a year recently. She said it was really miserable overall- crazy hours and unreasonable deadlines, and the work she was assigned to do wasn't particularly interesting.

TimeDuck

Had a friend who worked for WDI for about a year recently. She said it was really miserable overall- crazy hours and unreasonable deadlines, and the work she was assigned to do wasn't particularly interesting.

That's really sad to hear given how much of a dream job it is for people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom