News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

RSoxNo1

This sadly looks familiar.
Horizons_Full_775.jpg
Isn't there a forum rule where we have to put that picture in spoiler tags?

Castle Cake Apologist

Yeah, but again, I don't see how any of the preexisting sets or facilities of the Energy building would have been useful for this particular attraction. Other than the dinosaur rockwork, most of this building was a flat, concrete floor with a turntable anyway. I thought it was a given that they were going to reduce it to a blank slate.

With respect, I think you're missing the point. Knowing that a beloved attraction will be gutted and then actually seeing it gutted are two very different things.

I think there's also the point that this giant attraction that has inspired so many people over the decades is now just going to be a queue for a roller coaster. It's kinda painful.

Last edited:

Bairstow

With respect, I think you're missing the point. Knowing that a beloved attraction will be gutted and then actually seeing it gutted or two very different things.

I think there's also the point that this giant attraction that has inspried so many people over the decades is now just going to be a queue for a roller coaster. It's kinda painful.
And I don't think you've read what I wrote. The idea that gutting an already mostly-empty building was a "waste" is what puzzles me.

Castle Cake Apologist

And I don't think you've read what I wrote. The idea that gutting an already mostly-empty building was a "waste" is what puzzles me.

The waste comes from the fact that the pavilion had good bones and just needed another decent update. Instead, they gut it and take the easy route of building a roller coaster and slapping the lastest hot franchise on it. The waste is that they are using that entire building as a queue and pre-show.

THE Monorail Lime

The waste comes from the fact that the pavilion had good bones and just needed another decent update. Instead, they gut it and take the easy route of building a roller coaster and slapping the lastest hot franchise on it. The waste is that they are using that entire building as a queue and pre-show.
IT died, the ride was dead on the last day. GOTG is going to be a Blast.

Incomudro

I don't believe they are taking an easy route.
Perhaps easy as far as the likability of the IP is concerned, but I wouldn't say that what they are doing is easier than an update.
You're over simplifying which is what many people do here when they don't like something.

THE Monorail Lime

Perhaps easy as far as the likability of the IP is concerned, but I wouldn't say that what they are doing is easier than an update.
You're over simplifying which is what many people do here when they don't like something.
There’s no positive views on this ride, Chris Pratt’s humor is better then Ellen’s, PLUS groot?

Incomudro

For the record, I loved Universe of Energy.
I've been a dinosaur fan since before liking dinosaurs was cool.
I also remember how wowed I was when my theater broke apart and became a ride vehicle!
I had no idea that was going to happen.
I also took the family on Ellen's Energy Adventure on our most recent trip to WDW. (which sadly was over two years ago)
I suppose doing something that retained the ride vehicle theater would have been cool.
I would have liked that, trim the length of the before show video and essentially eliminate the after show video.

Castle Cake Apologist

I disagree.

A roller coaster is guaranteed to be a hit. A ride featuring Guardians of the Galaxy is guaranteed to be a hit.

Instead of crafting an original story for an awe-inspiring attraction that remains true to Epcot's mission, they have chosen to build a roller coaster with the Guardians of the Galaxy slapped onto it. From what we understand, the coaster itself will mostly be a standard indoor coaster-in-the-dark with no ties to the themes of Epcot other than fan service about Quill visiting Epcot as a kid.

I'm not saying that they aren't putting effort into this attraction, I'm sure it will be a thrilling roller coaster. Perhaps lazy would have been a better term than easy.

I remember when the ride system was secondary to the story being told. The attraction dictated the ride system, not the other way around. And when there wasn't an existing ride system to accomodate the story being told, they would invent one.

Incomudro

I disagree.

A roller coaster is guaranteed to be a hit. A ride featuring Guardians of the Galaxy is guaranteed to be a hit.

Instead of crafting an original story for an awe-inspiring attraction that remains true to Epcot's mission, they have chosen to build a roller coaster with the Guardians of the Galaxy slapped onto it. From what we understand, the coaster itself will mostly be a standard indoor coaster-in-the-dark with no ties to the themes of Epcot other than fan service about Quill visiting Epcot as a kid.

I'm not saying that they aren't putting effort into this attraction. Perhaps lazy would have been a better term than easy.

I remember when the ride system was secondary to the story being told. The attraction dictated the ride system, not the other way around. And when there wasn't an existing ride system to accomodate the story being told, they would invent one.

You essentially said what I said.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach about whether it's a "lazy" execution, meaning whether the coaster portion is going to be like the one on RNRC, which I wouldn't doubt.

I can see that UoE probably had a lot of upkeep costs and even when my father worked at Epcot in the early 80's, he said UoE had a lot of maintenance issues.

Having said that, I do think another type of attraction could have been made in the same building that focused on energy, but that doesn't bring the crowds in. There's other IP's that could have fit better and now the GOTG franchise is in a bit of limbo.

RSoxNo1

Throwing out a very hypothetical scenario here.

There was a Spaceship Earth replacement concept called Time Racers that was part of Project Gemini. My understanding was that it would be a roller coaster through many points of history represented on digital screens. While the plot of the Guardians ride hasn't been revealed, the assumption is that it will be tied to the infinity stones and energy.

What if it isn't? What if it is a time travel attraction through various times and points in history led by the Guardians characters? Heck, they could even call it Guardians of Galaxy: Time Racers.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Throwing out a very hypothetical scenario here.

There was a Spaceship Earth replacement concept called Time Racers that was part of Project Gemini. My understanding was that it would be a roller coaster through many points of history represented on digital screens. While the plot of the Guardians ride hasn't been revealed, the assumption is that it will be tied to the infinity stones and energy.

What if it isn't? What if it is a time travel attraction through various times and points in history led by the Guardians characters? Heck, they could even call it Guardians of Galaxy: Time Racers.
source.gif

smile

I disagree.

I'm not saying that they aren't putting effort into this attraction, I'm sure it will be a thrilling roller coaster. Perhaps lazy would have been a better term than easy.

how will rocket lambast thematic consistency this time?!
... stay tuned, kids - a whole new galaxy is coming to epcot!!

DinoInstitute

I disagree.

I think a better word than either easy or lazy might be safe. Like you said, a GotG attraction is guaranteed to be a hit, making it a safe choice, but I feel like calling it easy or lazy in the context of your post implies that it's destined to automatically be worse than other attractions in the park just by virtue of it being what it is. At the end of the day we don't really know what the story or theme of the attraction will be...at all. Just because it's a coaster or just because it's Guardians, it doesn't mean it can't still be an awe-inspiring attraction that ties into Epcot themes. Since we simply don't have a lot of information about it or the future of Epcot, I don't think it's fair to automatically take a position on how well executed it will be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom