News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I don't know that this has any bearing and if anyone knows otherwise, please feel free to correct me, but part of the lengthy build might also be due to the fact that when EPCOT Center was being built, Disney only had two parks. Now they have them all over the world. Yes, the company has more money now, but they're also spreading their theme park budget around far more parks. Maybe it makes more sense for them to spread out the construction length from a cost perspective instead of having to pay more for it to be finished faster. I mean, they've already spent a fortune and, by the time it's finished, will have spent a HUGE fortune. Why not try and save some money? Also, it means that they'll have another selling point for the 50th if it opens around that time.
More correctly, they own parks in the US and France, and are partners in Japan and China.

geekza

More correctly, they own parks in the US and France, and are partners in Japan and China.
True, but they are still having to contribute funds, even if they aren't shouldering the entire cost in those parks. Plus, they now have DHS and DAK in Florida and DCA in California. They just have a lot more places where they have to spread their budget. I don't know if the resorts draw from the same budget, but they're building those like crazy at the moment as well.

Disneyhead'71

One major factor to the build time is simply when they want it to open. They probably could build this faster, but they want it as one of their 2021 offerings for The 50th Anniversary. Star Wars: Galaxies Edge and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Train is 2019. 2020 in Ratatouille. 2021 is GotG, and Tron so far. I expect DHS and DAK will also have new offerings for the 50th.

I'm just glad that they have a lot of time to work out any issues that arise. And there are always issues because of the complexity of modern attractions. While this isn't all that elaborate it is still a lot more complex than an average coaster.

Figments Friend

Here is one of several pictures I snapped yesterday over at the ex-Energy Pavilion focusing on the contrast between the stripped tile work, exsisting side panels, and colorful construction wall.
Such a visual mix of emotional contrasts to me....

image.jpeg

OG Runner

It is a little funny. I went on Universe of Energy a number of times. I liked some parts of it. (even got a small giggle or two from the preshow). Overall, it just seemed too long and a bit too boring. Yet, you look at them tearing down parts of it, as shown in the photos,
and there is a small pang of sadness of what they are doing to the building. Yeah, I am sure I will forget all that the first time I ride the
GotG coaster, but right now, it is a little sad.

geekza

I've said this before, but the problem with Energy is that neither of its two incarnations was 100% solid. The initial one was certainly much better than Ellen, but the long film immediately following the dinos was really dry, which made it feel longer than it was. Ellen was entertaining the first time you saw it, but it dated quickly and got rid of some parts of the attraction that were actually decent from the original, like the moving screens in the pre-show and the awesome final film with the mirrored walls. In a perfect world, they would have given it a third go-round and try and fix the deficiencies of the prior two versions, but that was never meant to be.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
GotG is the winner in the single ride category. But it's plausible that WDW is purposely taking their time by having a specific time they want it opened (2021) and not waiting until 2019 to kill Ellen's Energy, but to kill it off now seeing how 'empty' it usually was and not wanting to spend money to fix many of its problems when they knew it was going to be scrapped anyway.

1536679583662.png

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
GotG is the winner in the single ride category. But it's plausible that WDW is purposely taking their time by having a specific time they want it opened (2021) and not waiting until 2019 to kill Ellen's Energy, but to kill it off now seeing how 'empty' it usually was and not wanting to spend money to fix many of its problems when they knew it was going to be scrapped anyway.

View attachment 312269
Love your work on this every time you repost. Puts a lot in perspective.

Missing20K

Still true though.

True, yes, but not an apt comparison.

2. I wonder if there's also the classic lack of understanding that brown field development is harder than green field development? That is, that renovation is often harder than building from scratch because you have to work within the constraints and confines of what exists and what is going to stay that you have to stay within the confines of. In the case of the GotG coaster, it's stuff like having to work within the existing Energy building, dealing with the existing drainage canal

This. Renovations are always more complex, more expensive, and more time consuming to build than a new building of comparable size, finishes, and function. The site work alone for this ride was more complex than any attraction project in recent years. @MisterPenguin what other attraction projects have needed to alter canal paths?

Missing20K

Remember how long Splash Mountain took to build and open? Given its one large and detailed E ticket?

Something around a year if I'm not mistaken? Also I know they stopped the train, but was there as much site work as there has been for GotG? They also didn't have to gut a building and ensure structural stability, and then re-use said shell. Or re-route a canal.

Splash is probably a better comparison, but even with just Building Code enhancements over the last 27-28 years, there is bound to an increase in build time. OSHA, ADA, and I'm sure Florida Building Code has all changed in that time as well. Each adding even just a small step in the process can lead to longer lead times for materials, designs, and construction.

Unless Disney is purposefully delaying construction for one reason or another, which I fully admit is possible (maybe you know something we don't ;)).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Something around a year if I'm not mistaken? Also I know they stopped the train, but was there as much site work as there has been for GotG? They also didn't have to gut a building and ensure structural stability, and then re-use said shell. Or re-route a canal.

Splash is probably a better comparison, but even with just Building Code enhancements over the last 27-28 years, there is bound to an increase in build time. OSHA, ADA, and I'm sure Florida Building Code has all changed in that time as well. Each adding even just a small step in the process can lead to longer lead times for materials, designs, and construction.

Unless Disney is purposefully delaying construction for one reason or another, which I fully admit is possible (maybe you know something we don't ;)).
Splash took 22 months. It involved realigning rivers of America for a wet comparison.

To look at something with more waterway movement (!) look at Space Mountain. Admitedly that was later than planned.

FigmentFan82

I don't know if the resorts draw from the same budget, but they're building those like crazy at the moment as well.
My best guess would be different budgets. I work for a pretty large corporation and a term that gets thrown around a lot is "buckets" as in money coming from different buckets with different budgets. Like "why can't we get more money for this project, but that other one has tons of money?" Different buckets. Hotels/Resorts and Parks/Attractions seem like they'd have their own buckets to draw $ from.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I handled a lot of the blueprinting for that project- it was insane, but justifiably so. The first time I rode Test Track I called it the BIg Dig Simulator seeing as you constantly start-stop-swerve-zig/zag-then blast out at top speed once your free to make up lost time.

Have you heard about our own proposal for a gondola system?
https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2018/03/07/boston-seaport-gondola
Wow. I hadn't heard of that. Given the growth of the Seaport over the past few years and the inadequacy of the silver line, this could be beneficial.

Now for the important question: will it have A/C?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom