News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

sedati

That's pretty bad. I've been watching my city try to install ONE pedestrian bridge over a street...since January.
Well, I live in one of the older cities in the US- Quincy, MA. It's hard to say what's a bloated budget when you start digging in historical areas. The new Hancock-Adams Common restores an old connection between the Hancock cemetery, the original town hall, and the church where the Adams are buried. The park has statues and fountains and I planned on getting pictures today, but the weather's been crap.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Well, I live in one of the older cities in the US- Quincy, MA. It's hard to say what's a bloated budget when you start digging in historical areas. The new Hancock-Adams Common restores an old connection between the Hancock cemetery, the original town hall, and the church where the Adams are buried. The park has statues and fountains and I planned on getting pictures today, but the weather's been crap.
Ah OK, that actually helps make sense. I live in a suburb north of LA where every available space of land is looked at for either a housing tract or a drive-thru Starbucks...or worse, both.

Figments Friend

I was back at Epcot today and walked around the shell of the ex-Energy Pavilion.
Wow was it depressing.
Seeing the stripped walls where once there was glittering tiles, and the square shaped baseboards now exposed underneath.

It looks like a burned out building now from the front...even though the Pavillion signage and 'needle' is still present and intact.
I was surprised to see that, as the rest of the front section is stripped clean.
That brightly colored construction wall can't hide the black carnage I can clearly see.

I did shoot some photos today.
I'll see if I can brighten them up ( contrast of the bright sky with the dark building was a issue ) and try to post em'.
I focused on trying to capture shots of the stripped walls and such, as to me it just looks so sad.

-

peter11435

They think it means that a single ride shouldn't take 3 years to build if a whole park and multiple rides took about the same time. And they would be right lol
That is what they think it means.

They are not right. That is not how construction works.

Certainly the project could be done faster. But the fact that an entire park was built in 3 years is irrelevant. If you applied the same requirements necessary to accomplish this project in less time you could have constructed Epcot in less time too.

montyz81

There are so many working variables when it comes to a project management timeline. Build time is irrelevant to me, delays happen, which cause other delays which cause other delays which cause other delays. Get the attraction right, not rushed.
According to my research, Horizons took 2 years 2 months to build from site prep to opening day. That ride was far more complex then the GoTG ride appears to be. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster took 1 year 4 months if we are comparing apples to apples. Just trying to put some facts up against the build time for GoTG. Is it a fair comparison? I think it is, but maybe I am wrong.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Technically, the profits go into the company, corporate pockets, and shareholders but it also takes a lot to run the parks, develop new stuff, and plan long-term. Yes, it takes Disney a while to build anything, not just a roller coaster. Avatar's land and rides took forever. MMRR is one of the fastest and even it is taking a solid two years. Their pace is glacial but, since the crowds continue to pack, they have no incentive to do otherwise.

Also, I realize that not everyone likes a roller coaster but I would bet that this coaster and Tron will both be extremely popular. 7DMT remains a long line (although, I'm not sure if that is capacity or popularity). The parks have to have a broad spectrum of rides and that includes coasters. Disney has a wide assortment although I do wish that the older peoplemovers still existed, although refurbed and refreshed as needed.
Popularity, I think. Everyone I have talked to in the past couple of years who isn't anDisney enthusiast but just made a visit to WDW list 7DMT among their favorite attractions.

Skibum1970

Popularity, I think. Everyone I have talked to in the past couple of years who isn't anDisney enthusiast but just made a visit to WDW list 7DMT among their favorite attractions.

That was my guess. Capacity should be okay around 1,500 (standard coaster throughput) but the line is always one of the longest in the park. Thanks for the input.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Also being from the metro Boston area, I have two words for you: Big Dig.

peter11435

According to my research, Horizons took 2 years 2 months to build from site prep to opening day. That ride was far more complex then the GoTG ride appears to be. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster took 1 year 4 months if we are comparing apples to apples. Just trying to put some facts up against the build time for GoTG. Is it a fair comparison? I think it is, but maybe I am wrong.
Those are fair comparisons.

Lensman

They think it means that a single ride shouldn't take 3 years to build if a whole park and multiple rides took about the same time. And they would be right lol
IMHO, there are two misunderstandings:
1. There are some people who have a variant of the classic 9 pregnant women can have a baby in 1 month fallacy - that if you can build 12 attractions in 3 years, that you should be able to build 1 attraction in 3 months. Our brains aren't geared to understand this kind of scalability. Our gut feels are based on how "big" the job feels.
2. I wonder if there's also the classic lack of understanding that brown field development is harder than green field development? That is, that renovation is often harder than building from scratch because you have to work within the constraints and confines of what exists and what is going to stay that you have to stay within the confines of. In the case of the GotG coaster, it's stuff like having to work within the existing Energy building, dealing with the existing drainage canal, and maybe having to figure out how to pull additional power to the building. I also don't know if there are many constraints imposed by having to work within an existing park with guest during operating hours. On the bright side, site access seems reasonable since the big build is on the periphery of the park.

All this said pretty much everyone complains about how long new attractions take to design and build and how much more expensive they've become. Just imagine how much more expensive they would be if they were built any faster?

sedati

Also being from the metro Boston area, I have two words for you: Big Dig.
I handled a lot of the blueprinting for that project- it was insane, but justifiably so. The first time I rode Test Track I called it the BIg Dig Simulator seeing as you constantly start-stop-swerve-zig/zag-then blast out at top speed once your free to make up lost time.

Have you heard about our own proposal for a gondola system?
https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2018/03/07/boston-seaport-gondola

geekza

I don't know that this has any bearing and if anyone knows otherwise, please feel free to correct me, but part of the lengthy build might also be due to the fact that when EPCOT Center was being built, Disney only had two parks. Now they have them all over the world. Yes, the company has more money now, but they're also spreading their theme park budget around far more parks. Maybe it makes more sense for them to spread out the construction length from a cost perspective instead of having to pay more for it to be finished faster. I mean, they've already spent a fortune and, by the time it's finished, will have spent a HUGE fortune. Why not try and save some money? Also, it means that they'll have another selling point for the 50th if it opens around that time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom