News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Actually, now I have to amend my theory to: I haven't a clue.

There's a beam in the far corner as tall as the tower. Why is one corner a tower and the other a beam? Why don't the beams in between go all the way up?

My new theory: Mad Cow Disease.
It's a visual pun by the architect, who's a Star Trek fan...

That's the "Beam Me Up, Scotty" beam.

Ismael Flores

Wow, this is going to be a fantastic sightline once finished. #messyEpcot
guardians-of-the-galaxy-show-building-construction-06012018-25.jpg
i don't think it will be any worse then seeing the huge and dirty circular test track show building from almost every country in world showcase. There is a picture on the same blog that shows a panorama view of the area and it show just how bad that test rack building is. I'm surprised i hadn't noticed it before in pictures

Lensman

There's a beam in the far corner as tall as the tower. Why is one corner a tower and the other a beam? Why don't the beams in between go all the way up?
Yes, and the beam second-to-the-back is also a little higher than the rest and has what looks like a connection point for an extension to go up even taller. The other beams don't seem to have this connection point, so maybe they won't go up taller? Correction: The other beams do have a connection point for extensions, but this does not seem to be in the same place that the other beams have connectors. Of course, this could have some intentional structural rationale.

Also, I just noticed that the tower is slightly outside the rectangular footprint of the building. You can see this in one of the BlogMickey photos where the supporting members between the beams go behind the tower. I think it's the "back" of the tower that actually lines up with the wall of the building.

The tower also seems to have a rectangular footprint, not a square, fwiw.

Last edited:

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Right on cue, new Bio pictures are here:

That second image is great for estimating height. Wonders of Life is 75 feet tall and the wall there is more or less directly behind Wonders of Life. As such, measuring the on screen height of WoL and the Wall would seem to indicate that the wall is about 110 feet tall currently at it's tallest point. The tower (using the same logic) seems to be at least 125' tall currently and may very well be the 133' height that we were hearing. (granted, that's assuming all of my numbers and lines are accurate)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
OK, looking at a lot of pictures, I think I got the placement of the tower and walls (until an aerial comes along to confirm or deny)...

The yellow is the guess at the launch corridor and the green in the gravity building (at the presumed 133 ft height). The gap between the tower and the wall to the right (in most photos) is the gap through which the coaster is going to enter. So, that's why the tower isn't right in the corner. It's to the left of where the coaster enters.

The bright orange is the tower, the dark orange is the current walls and the other beam (which seems to be as tall as the big tower... used photos and converging lines to determine that). Here is the model on a flat earth...

1527885863781.png

Here is 3D terrain enabled...

1527885831700.png

Tower measuring contest...

1527885690429.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What about the view of Soarin over Canada from China?

It's an iceberg?

;)

My take, which is seemingly a minority, is that the Swolphin, being architecturally... significant. Is no problem to be looking over the shoulders of the national pavilions. It's a pretty skyline.

For those who complain about it, I point them, like you just did, to World Showplace, Showcase Plaza, Soarin', and Test Track, for some pretty awful views in comparison to the Swolphin.

And even for those northward looking vistas intentionally meant to be seen, well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I behold no beauty in them.

A telephoto shot across the lake creates a distorted picture where there is no depth of field making buildings look like they are immediately behind one another. When you walk around the lagoon, normal stereoscopic human vision puts those buildings far off in the distance, though they are visible.

Besides, if the Swan wasn't there, a telephoto shot of France from across the lagoon reveals that the Eiffel Tower is just a model atop one of the buildings. The lack of depth of field also destroys forced perspective.

My take is that for the sake of reality, you can't hide new buildings forever if you're going to keep expanding. But, they should be nice looking. Swolphin is nice looking (IMO). I hope GotG's gravity building gets a facade that makes it nice looking.

Lensman

I wonder if the gravity building is being designed with heavy maintenance for the coaster after 20-30 years in mind? I was recalling the difficulties they had renovating Space Mountain in Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom