News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

clemmo

It won't be intense. No inversions. Family-friendly.

Epcot ain't play Mission: Space Orange again.
I thought I saw a while back this would be like gringotts with coaster and screen elements and that sort of ride vehicle except more movement and maybe some aa’s? Does this seem about right or am I miss remembering things?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I thought I saw a while back this would be like gringotts with coaster and screen elements and that sort of ride vehicle except more movement and maybe some aa’s? Does this seem about right or am I miss remembering things?

Yes it will turn to face things, but from what was said, I don't think there will be any stops to see things; you'll have to catch them in passing.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I thought I saw a while back this would be like gringotts with coaster and screen elements and that sort of ride vehicle except more movement and maybe some aa’s?

Gringots has 4 degrees of motion (pitch, yaw, roll, and movement along the track). From the prototype that I saw, it appears that Guardians will only have 2 degrees of motion (yaw and movement along the track). With Gringots, the movement along the track is minimal and relatively slow and the primary storytelling device (with regards to the ride vehicle) is in the movement of the vehicles in the pitch, yaw, and roll dimensions. With Guardians, the movement along the track will be much more significant with the yaw rotation just pointing you in specific directions during specific portions of the ride. I like to think that Guardians is more of a dark ride with some roller coaster like elements while Guardians will be a roller coaster with some dark ride elements.

(Disclaimer... I know nothing about the ride itself and all of the above is just educated guesses based upon what we do know).

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Gringots has 4 degrees of motion (pitch, yaw, roll, and movement along the track). From the prototype that I saw, it appears that Guardians will only have 2 degrees of motion (yaw and movement along the track). With Gringots, the movement along the track is minimal and relatively slow and the primary storytelling device (with regards to the ride vehicle) is in the movement of the vehicles in the pitch, yaw, and roll dimensions. With Guardians, the movement along the track will be much more significant with the yaw rotation just pointing you in specific directions during specific portions of the ride. I like to think that Guardians is more of a dark ride with some roller coaster like elements while Guardians will be a roller coaster with some dark ride elements.

(Disclaimer... I know nothing about the ride itself and all of the above is just educated guesses based upon what we do know).

Interesting. Just a thought I had: When a coaster goes into a turn, there is a lateral force. Coasters often bank their turn (roll) by use of the track so that the lateral force is now, relative to the rider, straight down head to toe and felt as extra Gs.

Now, a coaster that is able to spin (yaw) can take that turn by facing you inward to the turn and your back to the turn such that you're being pushed back into your seat as if it were forward motion. This could simulate spacecraft 'drifting' into a turn. (Put an onboard screen in front of you and you can re-create the Mission: Space centrifuges. :) )

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Intriguing... that lone tower seems to imply that the gravity building will be more than just a rectangular box... it'll be interesting to see what they actually do with it...

Actually, now I have to amend my theory to: I haven't a clue.

There's a beam in the far corner as tall as the tower. Why is one corner a tower and the other a beam? Why don't the beams in between go all the way up?

My new theory: Mad Cow Disease.

montyz81

Wow, this is going to be a fantastic sightline once finished. #messyEpcot
guardians-of-the-galaxy-show-building-construction-06012018-25.jpg

Spash007

It's really that one tower that's just the worst. From the entrance plaza it's really foreboding - between that and the graveyard, I don't really see it luring people into the park... Maybe it is a temporary support element of some kind?

Bender123

Wow, this is going to be a fantastic sightline once finished. #messyEpcot
guardians-of-the-galaxy-show-building-construction-06012018-25.jpg

Not to be Mr Contrary, here, but the entire side of UoE was visible for several years from inside and outside the park. Those trees have been growing for decades, at this point. Considering we don't know what the building will look like, it could be architecturally unique and themed.

Lets not start saying that UoE was some themed masterpiece either. From the side, it was a giant shiny sloped box with some colored lines.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
There's a beam in the far corner as tall as the tower. Why is one corner a tower and the other a beam? Why don't the beams in between go all the way up?

I don't think that corner beam is quite as tall as the "tower", but I believe that corner beam does represent the height of the main portion of the building. Based on the other beams and the connectors on the beams, I believe we will see the rest of the wall raised to the same height as that lone wall beam in the coming days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom