News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Erm No, I work with MIT and WPI students frequently and they still need to learn what can be 3D printed can not necessarily be machined from raw stock.
I'm just finished my second to last year of my engineering degree at a state University. All engineering students have to take a machining class in their sophomore year. We each designed in in CAD software a simple engine and then machined it in the shop. Every design class since then will mark students off if their designs don't incorporate standard sizes and parts whenever possible or make needlessly difficult to machine designs. Plus, there is light machining in multiple other classes throughout.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Isn't a defining trait of an omnimover that all cars are linked by chain, and secondly and consequently, that they move at a consistent, identical speed?

Imagination's trains move individually, and come to a complete stop at load. Coaster trains running on a coaster track dressed as omnimover cars. WoM is an omnimover, despite the appearance of separate trains. Imagination is a coaster, despite its appearance as an omnimover.

Not that any of this is relevant beyond pernickety terminology.
Imaginations vehicles shouldn’t stop at load. That was the RCS failing all too often. Or are we talking about versions two and three?

The classic Omni are equally space vehicles that are connected and thus move at the same speed. Technically they also need a hood to limit what the view sees but only HM, IYHW and ATIS did this.

Given Imag (all versions) was a total tyre drive attraction it wasn’t a coaster. The track was but the ride wasn’t. There wasn’t one place where the cars moved under gravity alone.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm just finished my second to last year of my engineering degree at a state University. All engineering students have to take a machining class in their sophomore year. We each designed in in CAD software a simple engine and then machined it in the shop. Every design class since then will mark students off if their designs don't incorporate standard sizes and parts whenever possible or make needlessly difficult to machine designs. Plus, there is light machining in multiple other classes throughout.

There’s the key difference, State schools need to turn out people who can do actual work. The elite schools turn out theoreticians.

When you graduate PM me and I’ll get you some interviews

jakeman

There’s the key difference, State schools need to turn out people who can do actual work. The elite schools turn out theoreticians.

Word of caution @Pionmycake, if @ford91exploder proclivity for fabrication in the real world is a fraction of what it is here, you'd be best to steer clear of any offer for assistance or you may find your professional reputation damaged.

Phicinfan

With due respect, you are speaking out of turn. My son is a senior in Mechanical Engineering and has had two classes where they design in cad, and also actually lathe and machine molds and parts. This is not a state school. It is a private non-religious school in SE Ohio. I think your data is out of touch.

Cmdr_Crimson

I saw the construction walls in person today, and on top of the generic Disney construction quotes on most walls they had the Epcot Center logo with the number 21 on it. 2021, perhaps? ;)

Just as long as they can retheme the Seas Pavilion to this....
hqdefault.jpg

And then we ALL Can hate POD 6!

Last edited:

Jones14

I can't tell if they're not allowed to use the name "Guardians of the Galaxy" because of the Universal contract, or if they're just being coy by using the font and not naming the franchise.
I think it’s coy; they don’t use Marvel in any of the blog posts, but they’ve been using Guardians of the Galaxy freely. I’d imagine that promotion rules are the same regardless of whether they're online or in the park.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I imagine coaster track will have to go up soon so they can build the building around it, correct?

Correct. By comparison, Tron trackwork at Shanghai was more or less completed before any work on enclosing the structure was started. Track work for that ride was completed almost 2.5 yrs before the ride opened. I suspect you'll see the first track/supports set in the next few weeks (and it wouldn't surprise me to see track/supports showing up on site any day now if they're not there already). [All just educated guesses though]

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
With due respect, you are speaking out of turn. My son is a senior in Mechanical Engineering and has had two classes where they design in cad, and also actually lathe and machine molds and parts. This is not a state school. It is a private non-religious school in SE Ohio. I think your data is out of touch.

No - it's not at least for the 'elite' schools where they turn out students who are absolutely brilliant in creating mathematical models of reality, yet have rudimentary abilities to translate those models into reality. It's felt that actually making things is an activity best left to 'technicians'.

One of my colleagues actually has an informal weekend course in how to cook eggs and pasta because the majority of his students never learned to cook.

lazyboy97o

No - it's not at least for the 'elite' schools where they turn out students who are absolutely brilliant in creating mathematical models of reality, yet have rudimentary abilities to translate those models into reality. It's felt that actually making things is an activity best left to 'technicians'.

One of my colleagues actually has an informal weekend course in how to cook eggs and pasta because the majority of his students never learned to cook.
Lucky for us the mechanical engineers in Vlodrop make stuff all the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom