News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

phillip9698

Oh yes same experience here, Your average good engineer wants to build something that will last the ages,

But too many engineers are overspecialized. They can design something awesome in Solidworks yet that design either can't be manufactured without exotic techniques or it will be expensive to manufacture because it has many steps.

Too few engineers these days learn to actually 'build' their parts in college so they never learn there is a difference between a 3D part and a real one used in a real machine. Only the exceptional ones go to that length today.

I haven't had that experience at all outside of a college environment. Specialization is needed more and more from what I've seen due to how increasingly complex many of our products/systems have become. The issue is that often within a company or supply chain the requirements or limitations of any given cog in the wheel isn't being properly communicated to the entity further up the chain. If your plant doesn't have the capability to produce what it is I'm designing for you or it is cost prohibitive then that is an information gap, not a fault of actual engineering. So many projects run over budget or fail to meet expectations due to this information gap.

I know we are way off tengent it's just a sensative subject for me as I've always been one to champion this point in design meetings with clients and management always seems to fail to understand how crucial this aspect of a project is.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I haven't had that experience at all outside of a college environment. Specialization is needed more and more from what I've seen due to how increasingly complex many of our products/systems have become. The issue is that often within a company or supply chain the requirements or limitations of any given cog in the wheel isn't being properly communicated to the entity further up the chain. If your plant doesn't have the capability to produce what it is I'm designing for you or it is cost prohibitive then that is an information gap, not a fault of actual engineering. So many projects run over budget or fail to meet expectations due to this information gap.

I know we are way off tengent it's just a sensative subject for me as I've always been one to champion this point in design meetings with clients and management always seems to fail to understand how crucial this aspect of a project is.

Same here - lets continue via PM

djkidkaz

So is it normal to pour all the concrete like that at once? Or is their a reason Disney is making it out to be a huge deal by doing a video about it? Is this not how it would normally be done? @danlb_2000 ?

GlacierGlacier

So is it normal to pour all the concrete like that at once? Or is their a reason Disney is making it out to be a huge deal by doing a video about it? Is this not how it would normally be done? @danlb_2000 ?
From what I've read, most large foundations are done like this, especially when it's going to undergo some serious stresses. This is just notable due to the massive scale, and, well, it's Disney.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
GotG is 'hot' right now because of IW getting such good response and breaking so many records. They'll have a presence in the next Avengers movie and then their own Vol 3. Disney wants everyone paying attention that there will be a GotG ride in Epcot.... 'soon.' They also want to dispel the Epcot stagnation malaise (regardless of how true that malaise had been for the past decade).

lazyboy97o

This is probably a monolithic slab which is relatively shallow. Most of the slab can be a few inches thick while the edges (and any areas in the interior that are load bearing) are deeper. Showbuildings tend to be steel structures that are relatively free of load bearing walls, so there is not a need for more intensive foundations all around the building.

From what I've read, most large foundations are done like this, especially when it's going to undergo some serious stresses. This is just notable due to the massive scale, and, well, it's Disney.
If you look in the video, there are many existing protrusions from the new slab that appear to have anchor bolts sticking out. Given how many there are, these are probably the foundations for the coaster itself, although some could also be for interior columns.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Let's just hope the foundation doesn't pull a Yeti on us...
It’s a roller coaster.
It has to go up.
Well, it doesn't have to, but if it doesn't, then it's just a very fast peoplemover.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom