News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Paul Nicholson

No - it's not at least for the 'elite' schools where they turn out students who are absolutely brilliant in creating mathematical models of reality, yet have rudimentary abilities to translate those models into reality. It's felt that actually making things is an activity best left to 'technicians'.

One of my colleagues actually has an informal weekend course in how to cook eggs and pasta because the majority of his students never learned to cook.

You're all over the place in terms of your actual complaint here, but I have direct first hand knowledge that this is just plain wrong. Almost every engineering department at MIT has at least one, if not multiple, machine shops. Every department I know of had at least one course where you were made to actually build things, with the mechanical engineering department having multiple levels including design and fabrication competitions. Take, for example, 2.007, a robot design and fabrication competition required for all mechanical engineers, the motto of which, by the way is "no innovation without fabrication.". Personally, I built 2 wind tunnel models, a prototype combustion chamber and a UAV during my undergraduate time there.

Of course, the average graduate is not going to have the same ability in a shop as a machinist, and much of engineering these days does revolve around software (because the requirements of much of today's design make it impossible to do otherwise), but you've either had a bad bunch of students come through, or are very unaware of how teaching is done at top engineering schools.

BoarderPhreak

A real shame that Universe of Energy was left to wallow (along with the rest of Future World) and this is what's come of it. Long live EPCOT Center and "edutainment" - now THAT was unique. The new direction is all about IP; marketing and merchandising... At least it's easier to remain relevant. But is this what's in store for Spaceship Earth? The Land? "Future World" as a whole? Ugh.

Clearly IP is the way of the future. MK is (and has always been) chock full of it, AK joined in with Pandora, HS is going gangbusters with Star Wars and Toy Story (but at least it's fitting here) - and Epcot is slowly being transformed as well. WDW is becoming less unique and more like Universal.

- Curmudgeonly old timer

Awakening

A real shame that Universe of Energy was left to wallow (along with the rest of Future World) and this is what's come of it. Long live EPCOT Center and "edutainment" - now THAT was unique. The new direction is all about IP; marketing and merchandising... At least it's easier to remain relevant. But is this what's in store for Spaceship Earth? The Land? "Future World" as a whole? Ugh.

Clearly IP is the way of the future. MK is (and has always been) chock full of it, AK joined in with Pandora, HS is going gangbusters with Star Wars and Toy Story (but at least it's fitting here) - and Epcot is slowly being transformed as well. WDW is becoming less unique and more like Universal.

- Curmudgeonly old timer

Just came back from a trip a few weeks ago, and I can honestly say I had a better time at Universal. The experience I had at WDW has soured my outlook on the parks; I've never had a less-magical experience than I did at the Magic Kingdom.

BoarderPhreak

Just came back from a trip a few weeks ago, and I can honestly say I had a better time at Universal. The experience I had at WDW has soured my outlook on the parks; I've never had a less-magical experience than I did at the Magic Kingdom.
I just got back yesterday! The parks are still (mostly) awesome and yes, a lot of it is nostalgia; so still magical for me. But two things that are getting worse and worse are testing the magic... The cost of literally everything and the insane crowds. The increasing IP is not the direction I would've liked, but at least it's new stuff. I'll have to try Universal one of these days (still haven't been).

Glasgow

I just got back yesterday! The parks are still (mostly) awesome and yes, a lot of it is nostalgia; so still magical for me. But two things that are getting worse and worse are testing the magic... The cost of literally everything and the insane crowds. The increasing IP is not the direction I would've liked, but at least it's new stuff. I'll have to try Universal one of these days (still haven't been).
At some point nostalgia gets overruled by cost. Disney is still better in most ways than UNI .. however .. if you're willing to forego some of the pixie dust experience, you'll get more value for money and less crowds at UNI, which is definitely a bonus when you're trying to take a vacation and not do a schedule bound boot-camp. You definitely don't get the same dark ride and immersive attractions but maybe you get a more relaxing week away from work without injuring your elbows?

Back to the topic at hand though. Epcot is my favorite park and I'm sad to see the edutainment fade into obscurity but I have to admit I'm kind of excited for the GotG attraction - I think Disney will be doing this one right top to bottom. I think this is pivotal moment for them, what with changing from traditional dark ride to e-ticket in Epcot. Walt will be turning in his grave but for some reason I think this will work out as long as they try and balance out thrills and family experiences between FW east and west. IMO of course.

Indy_UK

Reminds me of this.....

6497D113-0976-419A-8A73-57F934C6121A.jpeg

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
At some point nostalgia gets overruled by cost. Disney is still better in most ways than UNI .. however .. if you're willing to forego some of the pixie dust experience, you'll get more value for money and less crowds at UNI, which is definitely a bonus when you're trying to take a vacation and not do a schedule bound boot-camp. You definitely don't get the same dark ride and immersive attractions but maybe you get a more relaxing week away from work without injuring your elbows?

Is Uni a better value? Me and my family we're just looking into it. A one day not park hopper costs more for Uni than at Disney. Plus, their two park annual pass at Uni (the most base pass) is 250 . Four parks at Disney (also, most base pass other than their weekday only pass) is 450. Twice the number of parks for less than twice the price.

Uni prices are exactly in line with Disney if not more.

Sure, some parts of Disney are run down, but when is the last time you've ridden Dudley Do rights Rip Saw Falls or Poseidons Fury? Even Disney at their absolute worst maintenance wise are better taken care of than those two.

Sure, Disney is upchathe event happy, but Uni literally has people trying to get you to sign up for a credit card as you enter the parks.

Sure Disney is more crowded, but fast pass is free instead of costing money like at Uni.

So, I see this a lot here. What is the actual reason Uni is a better deal? And please tell me soon because my family is looking for something to do on Wednesday as an early mother's day.

Glasgow

Is Uni a better value? Me and my family we're just looking into it. A one day not park hopper costs more for Uni than at Disney. Plus, their two park annual pass at Uni (the most base pass) is 250 . Four parks at Disney (also, most base pass other than their weekday only pass) is 450. Twice the number of parks for less than twice the price.

Sure, some parts of Disney are run down, but when is the last time you've ridden Dudley Do rights Rip Saw Falls or Poseidons Fury? Even Disney at their absolute worst maintenance wise are better taken care of than those two.

Sure, Disney is upchathe event happy, but Uni literally has people trying to get you to sign up for a credit card as you enter the parks.

Sure Disney is more crowded, but fast pass is free instead of costing money like at Uni.

So, I see this a lot here. What is the actual reason Uni is a better deal? And please tell me soon because my family is looking for something to do on Wednesday as an early mother's day.
You make a fair argument. Obviously value is subjective and there are a lot of variables. I can only speak from my own experience (hence the IMOs) but I can tell you that 8 nights in Sept of last year at Hard Rock hotel was $2955 including room and 4 day unlimited tix to 3 parks. It doesnt include food, of course. Compare that with a 2014 trip to beach club ($4400) which was 7 nights with 6 day tix or CBR 2015 which was $3400 with 6 day tix. All other costs were essentially the same. So, IMO, I received better value for my trip to UNI. Breaking down to single days and other scenarios may flip the script of course .. Just my experience. Dont take this to mean I prefer UNI ..I do not. But dollar for dollar, I feel its a better value over the past few years for extended trips.

gustaftp

Wow, We went to Universal as well, and had the opposite experience. IOA was nice, but as a whole, Universal just seemed somewhat lacking.

My mom and I went to Universal Orlando for the first time this past week. We both enjoyed IOA a lot and thought the studios park was very over-rated -- and ultimately came to the conclusion that overall Universal is not even nearly as detail-oriented as Disney.

montyz81

Wow, We went to Universal as well, and had the opposite experience. IOA was nice, but as a whole, Universal just seemed somewhat lacking.

My mom and I went to Universal Orlando for the first time this past week. We both enjoyed IOA a lot and thought the studios park was very over-rated -- and ultimately came to the conclusion that overall Universal is not even nearly as detail-oriented as Disney.
I took my family on a trip 2 weeks ago. We spent 1 Day at Epcot, MK and AK each and then 1 day at both IO and US. We walked away feeling like we spent a Disney Park price for a park that was only 50% better then Six flags (Minus the HP areas, they were Disney level) and decided that when we return, we will skip Uni for Kennedy Space Center. And we will also go back to staying on property too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom