News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

180º

Mack has done free spinning and now a “controlled” spin on Time Traveler. That control is more limiting or regulating the spin, not programming it.
Yup. If I understand it correctly, the Mack spin is controlled by something akin to brakes on your car. It can slow, stop, or free the spin. Whereas with GOTG, the need is for omnimover-type spinning, the kind where you can be pointed in a certain direction or spun under its own power. Gringotts did this, right? Was that Dynamic Structures/Attractions?

cjkeating

Mack has done free spinning and now a “controlled” spin on Time Traveler. That control is more limiting or regulating the spin, not programming it.

They have controlled/programmed spin on Euro Mir (which opened in 1997) along with the more recent Cobras Curse and possibly more that I haven't been on.

Haymarket2008

A tweet (I don't remember who's account) I read recently posed an interesting discussion concerning the Guardians project. They said that internally it is viewed as the "I-4 billboard / 'appease higher management' attraction" for Epcot to get people to come to the park....so that WDI may have more creative freedom with the rest of the park. I know this is twitter, but it is something worth noting in regards to the overall bigger picture of Epcot's future.

Walt d

I'll say this I strongly disagree with what they are doing to Epcot Center (I wanted them to go back to their roots not dumbed down "family friendly" take). However I do admire the ambition of it all. We never saw anything like this during the second half of Eisners tenure and was one of the biggest reasons I along with thousands of other shareholders voted him out.

Big scope thinking and radical redesigns are what Walt Disney was all about.
Boby ignor just like eisner wright now’

The Empress Lilly

It was designed as a coaster in parts but that didn’t work so it became an Omni. Hybrid Omni to be picky since the cars didn’t keep the same distance from each other during the ride.
Isn't a defining trait of an omnimover that all cars are linked by chain, and secondly and consequently, that they move at a consistent, identical speed?

Imagination's trains move individually, and come to a complete stop at load. Coaster trains running on a coaster track dressed as omnimover cars. WoM is an omnimover, despite the appearance of separate trains. Imagination is a coaster, despite its appearance as an omnimover.

Not that any of this is relevant beyond pernickety terminology.

Animaniac93-98

Vintage EPCOT managed to design rides with both an entrance and an exit at the pavilion's entrance, plaza, or relevant post-show.

No hikes anywhere. Unlike Soarin', Imagination, Test Track, Mission:Space, GotG, Rat.

Clowns and dwarfs making a mockery of the work of gods.

Disney's scientific surveys suggest guests hiking around will make them burn more calories and encourgae the sale of snack food and bottled water. :cautious:

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

I think it would be a great addition to DHS.

But not Epcot.
By and large, yes, this. If DHS can integrate a space fantasy thrill ride, it can have a space superhero thrill ride.

Although, and maybe it is entirely personal, I think Star Wars and Indiana Jones a great complementing fit to Disney, but not Marvel / Guardians. The way seeing Barbie and Teenage Mutant Turtles at Disney rubbed me like sandpaper. Muppets in between, a bit so-so.

A certain tonal, sentimental fit. I do think Iger bought Marvel precisely because it sits on an emotional tone outside of Disney's scale, that being the very point of the addition.

Also, I had a higher tolerance for outside IP when it felt more clearly as external, rather than as part of Disney as a Unilever / Procter & Gamble brands umbrella.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom