News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I'm no expert but I feel like even 17 hours is impressive for all of that.

I believe that's 17 hours to pour the slab (not including site prep work or rebar work). When you're pouring a big concrete pad like this, you ideally want it all poured at the same time.

Given that the foundation is poured, I'd imagine you will start seeing supports/track going up in the next couple of weeks... (at least that's how a project like this would normally progress).

britain

Will this moderately heavily utilize projections in the gravity building (a.l.a. Space Mountain at Disneyland)? If so, what are the chances that we see multiple versions of this ride at opening (or shortly after opening)

71,950 sq ft show building? I assume that value is the value JUST for the gravity building. If so, that would be 40% larger than Rock N' Roller Roaster gravity building (43,142 sq ft show building [according to Google Maps]) and roughly comparable in size to the Great Movie Ride's show building.

Good. It better be huge if it wants to live up to Chapek's claim that it will be 'one of' the longest indoor coasters in the world.

ZachPL

The video description still makes that claim

Earlier this week, 960 trucks’ worth of concrete was poured to create the foundation of what will soon take shape as Epcot’s mammoth “Guardians of the Galaxy”-themed attraction. The attraction is on track to become one of the world’s longest enclosed coasters, and to house it, a new facility is being built adjacent to the existing Universe of Energy building.

montyz81

Given that the foundation is poured, I'd imagine you will start seeing supports/track going up in the next couple of weeks... (at least that's how a project like this would normally progress).
Still confused as to why this isn't going to be open until 2022. All of Epcot didn't take as long as this ride is going to take to complete. And wow, the sight of all that depresses me. Walking up to the wall around UoE last week and seeing the sign from the Monorail made me feel quite nostalgic.

Haymarket2008

Still confused as to why this isn't going to be open until 2022. All of Epcot didn't take as long as this ride is going to take to complete. And wow, the sight of all that depresses me. Walking up to the wall around UoE last week and seeing the sign from the Monorail made me feel quite nostalgic.

*2021. But still, I feel ya. Though honestly, I really think it is simply a synergistic move to line up with the release of Vol. 3. And they’ll most likely be filming new material with the cast of the new film.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I shouldn't spoiler this just to get even on all you devilish Marvel loving people ruining my theme park, but I'm simply too well brought up:
One character can die, but not all. With half the cast dying you just know they will be resurrected in part II. Reality Stone, I think.

Wish they would use that Reality Stone to undo their killing off of EPCOT.
Not all of us who love Marvel (myself) want them mucking up Epcot. DHS, that's another matter.

trainplane3

Probably all of the programming for the new ride system. It's going to be a first of it's type from Vekoma so I imagine there'll be a lot of troubleshooting. But still, 3 years is a stupid amount of time for a single attraction.

I'd be okay with them dumping GotG and changing it to a "riding on sunshine" themed coaster.

mikejs78

Premium Member
A young Peter Quill would have loved to see all those trucks. Peter loved trucks as per the narrative.
Maybe the narrative of the ride will be Peter Quill coming back to Epcot and realizing that the Epcot he remembers is gone. Gone is Horizons, a good JII, and UoE. He goes to Burbank to convince Bob Iger to revitalize the Epcot of his youth, only to find that Iger is really Loki, and that he's purposely trying to destroy Epcot because one of the infinity stones is hidden in Spaceship Earth. Hijinks ensue.

bhg469

Maybe the narrative of the ride will be Peter Quill coming back to Epcot and realizing that the Epcot he remembers is gone. Gone is Horizons, a good JII, and UoE. He goes to Burbank to convince Bob Iger to revitalize the Epcot of his youth, only to find that Iger is really Loki, and that he's purposely trying to destroy Epcot because one of the infinity stones is hidden in Spaceship Earth. Hijinks ensue.
After a quick trip to the UK to visit Yondu Poppins of course

crxbrett

29oaog.jpg

sedati

The full height of this thing has to be important ride-wise. It would be much easier in Florida to build out instead of up.

phillip9698

Another classic design is Grand Central Terminal in NYC, Just watch how the traffic flows it's almost impossible to bump into someone unless done deliberately. And it's done in very subtle ways with ramps and staircases to gently guide the crowds in a optimal traffic pattern.

The reason why this is the case is in the past engineers were made to study both the theoretical and the practical side of engineering. When I took my mechanical engineering courses REQUIRED courses were 'Machine Tool Methods' i.e. machine shop where engineering students learned to run a lathe, milling machine and surface grinders as well as machine setup and layout.

Much whining about learning 'blue collar' skills but we quickly learned that while it's easy to design a part in CAD it's a lot harder to design a part that can manufactured economically as each step taken costs time and money to complete.

Engineers but especially Imagineers for the most part USED to be 'Renaissance Men' with skills in multiple domains including art and music, Now too many engineers are overspecialized and have no expertise outside of their domain and we see the results in poorly designed products and systems every day.

Oh boy! As an engineer my experience has been if something has been "poorly designed" it was done that way either because it saves someone higher up in the chain a lot of money or it's going to make someone else down the line a lot of money. It's very rare that something wasn't optimized because the engineering department lacked the required skill!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Oh boy! As an engineer my experience has been if something has been "poorly designed" it was done that way either because it saves someone higher up in the chain a lot of money or it's going to make someone else down the line a lot of money. It's very rare that something wasn't optimized because the engineering department lacked the required skill!

Oh yes same experience here, Your average good engineer wants to build something that will last the ages,

But too many engineers are overspecialized. They can design something awesome in Solidworks yet that design either can't be manufactured without exotic techniques or it will be expensive to manufacture because it has many steps.

Too few engineers these days learn to actually 'build' their parts in college so they never learn there is a difference between a 3D part and a real one used in a real machine. Only the exceptional ones go to that length today.

trainplane3

Some (more) pictures of the walls and signage around the pavilion are up: http://blogmickey.com/2018/05/photo...-construction-walls-surround-energy-pavilion/
Since I don't really care about Marvel stuff, I will say I do love seeing the Epcot Center logo in the blue/faded blue color. Too bad they're probably just using the logo for nostalgia. But hey it's using unique signage (and not the generic "dream builders" we're used to seeing), so that counts for something.
692B418A-B76C-4C0B-B430-7CFBA6731DEC.jpeg

@atighe42 mentioned the logo and "21" 2 pages back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom